Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Rate the Thread!
This poll is closed.
0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
7 100.00%
Total: 7 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

Thinking of getting into Myst in 2019 lol. This isn't a joke. Lmfao.

I don't think I'm smart enough anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

i played real myst when it first came out on gog and had fun. i didnt need a guide but some puzzles definitely seemed harder than they would have been in the original due to the full 3d

malibu anime
Dec 23, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

In Training posted:

youre gonna love it

malibu anime
Dec 23, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
wish i could tell this story in a funny interesting way but in 2013 my wife and i came across the dead game of Myst online and it was really fun playing it together. just these big rear end worlds with no help or prompts figuring out poo poo together (we didnt get very far it was quite confusing, especially trying to meet up and stay together) But then one night we came across like 20 people who log on at this certain time every week and roleplay as a theater troupe / but also Renowned myst worlds explorers who take turns sitting around a campfire recounting Epic Tales of their times as explorers. it was something incredible to see

malibu anime
Dec 23, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
we should get all the imps, start a myst online megathread, and try to play it together lol..bring it back to life.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

malibu anime posted:

wish i could tell this story in a funny interesting way but in 2013 my wife and i came across the dead game of Myst online and it was really fun playing it together. just these big rear end worlds with no help or prompts figuring out poo poo together (we didnt get very far it was quite confusing, especially trying to meet up and stay together) But then one night we came across like 20 people who log on at this certain time every week and roleplay as a theater troupe / but also Renowned myst worlds explorers who take turns sitting around a campfire recounting Epic Tales of their times as explorers. it was something incredible to see

That's awesome.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

But, as Myst was one of the first games I hated, I shan't be taking part in the revival.

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

brutal pyst

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

malibu anime posted:

It's free, and honestly, it's a pretty short game. I had a good time with Uru. Pimping your fort was cool. It's kinda like if VR chat was done in the quake 3 era.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 10, 2019

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

has anyone played Obduction? i want to try it but i kind of think the setting for Myst was a lot of the charm.

Yea it's good, give it a shot dude you'll be down with it. Though I think I enjoyed Quern more.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

has anyone played Obduction? i want to try it but i kind of think the setting for Myst was a lot of the charm.

except for one puzzle obduction is very good.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

malibu anime posted:

is Myst Online built off the skeleton of Uru? like, i know that's what Uru was trying to do. is it like user-generated puzzles? i never quite understood what it was supposed to be

In Training posted:

get RealMyst, it's usually pretty cheap and i think you can even get it on your phone now. riven, unfortunately, they lost the assets to so they never upgraded it, so you have to play the 2D, screen-to-screen version. both of them are really really good games, though, and riven is probably the best in terms of the puzzles. if you get through them both, play exile for brad dourif, but look up the answers if you get stuck in edanna.

the fourth game is where things get a little weird. it's a decent enough game on its own although the 3D "i'm not stuck i'm just lost" effect is bigger, but there are some major retcons and they recast two major characters because the two dudes who made the first game basically played all the roles and they actually hated acting. the official story of Myst 4 is, i;m not kidding, that the myst 4 version of events is the "true" one, and the games Myst and Riven are not-entirely-true video game adaptations that the rand brothers made, based upon the writings of Atrus they discovered in D'ni.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Satellit3 posted:

Yea it's good, give it a shot dude you'll be down with it. Though I think I enjoyed Quern more.

cool. i think my hands are a little full w/ smash at the moment, but i think obduction game to OS4, so maybe tha'll be my february game

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bicyclops posted:

the fourth game is where things get a little weird. it's a decent enough game on its own although the 3D "i'm not stuck i'm just lost" effect is bigger, but there are some major retcons and they recast two major characters because the two dudes who made the first game basically played all the roles and they actually hated acting. the official story of Myst 4 is, i;m not kidding, that the myst 4 version of events is the "true" one, and the games Myst and Riven are not-entirely-true video game adaptations that the rand brothers made, based upon the writings of Atrus they discovered in D'ni.

thats cool

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

is Myst Online built off the skeleton of Uru? like, i know that's what Uru was trying to do. is it like user-generated puzzles? i never quite understood what it was supposed to be

that's what it was supposed to be, but i don't think it ever even got that far. last i checked it's the completest version of uru, with both expansions and a bunch of poo poo that only came out when uru was on gametap.

speaking of, gametap, Oh yeah... THAT happened.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol u loving myst posers, bet you haven't even read the books

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i think the fan-made RealRiven is entering its 15th year of development http://www.starryexpanse.com/

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

used to just wander around the empty uru ages and the d'ni caverns weeping silently at what could have been

then gametap came along and resurrected it and i got to see for myself: a bunch of 40-something dweebs, including cyan employees paid to do this, standing around in a room roleplaying actual canonical events via text chat

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

if I had the linking books I would be exploring ages and solving puzzles, not posting about it online. Oh, you mean the novels? Ah. Hm.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

GameCube posted:

lol u loving myst posers, bet you haven't even read the books

I read the first one, it really cleared up the lore for me...

My computer at the time had a weird thing where it would play fmv with inverted colors and it took me a while to realize it was a glitch and not just trippy effects

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

gonna save my getting really into graphic adventure games phase for when im like 40

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
RIP the era of mystlikes everywhere you looked

Obsidian is one that i still sometimes wonder if i had the only copy because no one ever talks about it. i loved it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDzrzkucYqI

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Tales of Woe posted:

gonna save my getting really into graphic adventure games phase for when im like 40

lol but I also want to try Obduction

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i read all of the myst novels but tbh they weren't very good.

all the ages in uru had puzzles to solve (and bad platforming stuff) but i just played whatever was on the disc that had both expansions, i don't know if the online stuff had a bunch of empty caverns or w/e

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

malibu anime posted:

Lol awesome

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

i read all of the myst novels but tbh they weren't very good.

all the ages in uru had puzzles to solve (and bad platforming stuff) but i just played whatever was on the disc that had both expansions, i don't know if the online stuff had a bunch of empty caverns or w/e

were you not 12 years old when you read them? that might be your problem

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the online stuff had puzzles that were either harder or impossible to do without multiple people. i remember one of them, there were switches spread out throughout an entire age and they had to be pressed in a specific order within like ten seconds, which you had to coordinate by... text chat

there's an age in the single player content where you have to press a bunch of pressure switches in a dungeon that was very clearly meant for a group of people, they made it possible in single player by dumping a bunch of literal garbage on the floor that you have to bump into and awkwardly kick it onto the switches

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GameCube posted:

were you not 12 years old when you read them? that might be your problem

i was 13, i think

GameCube posted:

there's an age in the single player content where you have to press a bunch of pressure switches in a dungeon that was very clearly meant for a group of people, they made it possible in single player by dumping a bunch of literal garbage on the floor that you have to bump into and awkwardly kick it onto the switches

i remember this one, lol. there's also one where you have to push a log down a river so you can jump across it. uru was nuts.

malibu anime
Dec 23, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
i cant believe other people here even knew about myst online let alone played it and onenguy presumably loving beat it lol. i underestimate these forums

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

malibu anime posted:

Lol thats cool

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I remember playing riven with my little brother and it was chill walking around the island alone, soaking in the sights etc but theres one part where all of a sudden a npc like walks across the screen or something and it was intensely unnerving to see when you arent expecting it

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Sounds like a good way to scare the poo poo out of your brother, or tell him you didn’t see anything

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

HORMELCHILI posted:

I remember playing riven with my little brother and it was chill walking around the island alone, soaking in the sights etc but theres one part where all of a sudden a npc like walks across the screen or something and it was intensely unnerving to see when you arent expecting it

yeah, they even played weird, menacing music with it, i think that spooked me more than any silent hill game ever has

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

i was 13, i think

i remember this one, lol. there's also one where you have to push a log down a river so you can jump across it. uru was nuts.

My favorite uru puzzle is having to do a flying jump kick into a stuck bridge to knock it down

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Myst: "You must be careful, for all your trials can only be solved by cunning and guile, and not by strength"

Uru: "have you tried using karate?"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

HORMELCHILI posted:

That sounds insane lol.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

GameCube posted:

lmfao pretty sure i remember this. i bounced off that game multiple times....

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

American McGay posted:

That sounds insane lol.

Riven is nuts that way. it opens with a guy who writes worlds, who you don't have a ton of reason to trust after the first game, saying "okay, i may be able to get you home, but you have to go inside this collapsing world, trick my evil genius father, rescue my wife, and somehow find a way to signal me by altering the entire world so much that i can see it from outside of it. i don't really have time to help you, but here's my diary about how much of an rear end in a top hat my dad is." the first thing that happens to you immediately on getting sucked into the book world is being locked in a cage and getting screamed at in a foreign language by a guy carrying a knife iirc.

e: oh, and i think the knife carrying guy steals one of the two books you're given at the beginning of the game before you can even look at it.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 10, 2019

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Bicyclops posted:

e: oh, and i think the knife carrying guy steals one of the two books you're given at the beginning of the game before you can even look at it.

and then he's immediately murdered right in front of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I've posted about this many times but the scariest moment in games for me was watching my uncle go through one of the brothers rooms in Myst. He cracked open just the corner of a chest and revealed like bloody teeth/viscera. I'm not sure if it's even as graphic as I remember but it's stuck with me