Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

therobit posted:

There is no bigger rear end in a top hat than the previous owner of your car or home.

Closing got off to a rocky start when I mentioned we were having Verizon come by to install FIOS and it turns out the guy was a Comcast exec...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Closing got off to a rocky start when I mentioned we were having Verizon come by to install FIOS and it turns out the guy was a Comcast exec...

This is amazing. :perfect:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Residency Evil posted:

the guy was a Comcast exec...

Now I really wish you had gotten that $15k out of him.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Should have asked him if he knows how much his company is despised.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ashcans posted:

Now I really wish you had gotten that $15k out of him.

H110Hawk posted:

This is amazing. :perfect:

Hoodwinker posted:

Should have asked him if he knows how much his company is despised.

I'm not going to add in who his wife works for, but let's just say it's tough to say which company is hated more.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

I'm not going to add in who his wife works for, but let's just say it's tough to say which company is hated more.
Oh, I like this game! Is it a bank?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hoodwinker posted:

Oh, I like this game! Is it a bank?

Close! How do you feel about your social security number?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh my god, it's a credit rating agency. Equifax?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Wait, it's not PECO?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Oh my god, it's a credit rating agency. Equifax?
I hope her title has something to do with IT or data security for added hilarity.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Dunking a hundred thousand dollars of a Comcast exec is like a spiritual experience, I'm thrilled for you.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Dunking a hundred thousand dollars of a Comcast exec is like a spiritual experience, I'm thrilled for you.

Same, and now I completely understand your obsession with trying to pocket the extra 15k on a million dollar home

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Apparently I made the game too easy.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Hauki posted:

Same, and now I completely understand your obsession with trying to pocket the extra 15k on a million dollar home

I got aroused when I heard from their agent that if they had known they'd be taking such a huge loss on the sale, they would have never committed to buying the bigger, larger, more expensive home.

So we should fully expect to have some giant unforeseen expense in the next week, right?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

I guarantee that if the guy didn't work for Comcast (free service for employees), he'd have FIOS too. Both companies suck royally, but FIOS is better in every conceivable way than cable.

Welcome to the greater Philly area!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If you ever needed another reason why the Zestimate is bullshit, I present my home:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Looks like an EKG

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Jealous Cow posted:

If you ever needed another reason why the Zestimate is bullshit, I present my home:

Redfin is even worse because the change what the "past" data shows. I know for a fact that my house was valued at $10k more this summer than they show in their little graph thingy. They just like to make it look like number go up.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

That doesn't mean it is wrong. You could hire an appriaser every week and the results would vary more than that

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

lampey posted:

That doesn't mean it is wrong. You could hire an appriaser every week and the results would vary more than that

:lol: we all hate appraisers but this is a molten hot take right here

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

lampey posted:

More than a 15k deviation though :shuckyes:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

That Works posted:

More than a 15k deviation though :shuckyes:

Called out. Mods?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

you know if i'd known you were trying to financially buttfuck a comcast exec, i'd have given you different advice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My zestimate changes a lot because there's a lot of apartments nearby and whenever one sells, they use it in the calculation even though I have a house because there's often no nearby houses that have sold in the last three months of whatever.

You would think only houses would be used, but apparently recency beats comparative qualities sometimes.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

My zestimate changes a lot because there's a lot of apartments nearby and whenever one sells, they use it in the calculation even though I have a house because there's often no nearby houses that have sold in the last three months of whatever.

You would think only houses would be used, but apparently recency beats comparative qualities sometimes.

If their model was in any way competently built it wouldn’t swing wildly like that. They are continuing to overweight bad signals and the model isn’t learning.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I showed up Haggard and pissed off at home Depot at 830am on a Sunday. How am I doing with home ownership?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 14, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

I showed up Haggard and pissed of at home Depot at 830am on a Sunday. How am I doing with home ownership?

Just once? 3/10

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Residency Evil posted:

I showed up Haggard and pissed off at home Depot at 830am on a Sunday. How am I doing with home ownership?

I'm still rocking a nice red line from a late night week before Christmas trip to Home Depot where I stood up into a shelf. It disoriented me a bit but I shook it off and kept walking. Wasn't until a horrified employee stopped me and asked if I was okay that I realized I cut myself - blood rolling down the side of my bald head.

No such thing as a painless trip to the Depot

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Let us know when you’re on a first name basis with at least 2 Home Depot employees

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
yeah, you also have to go there 3 times on a single day (you know why) for the trifecta.

...also track all your receipts and see how fast you get to $3,500 each year........

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

If their model was in any way competently built it wouldn’t swing wildly like that. They are continuing to overweight bad signals and the model isn’t learning.

Dunno about the back end, but zillow.com is built on salesforce.com. I doubt they give a poo poo about getting the numbers right, when the main goal is to show actual listings and recent sales, and channel you to advertisers and partners through those listings.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Deviant posted:

you know if i'd known you were trying to financially buttfuck a comcast exec, i'd have given you different advice.

Yeah, I’d like a chance to revise my position.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Keyser_Soze posted:

yeah, you also have to go there 3 times on a single day (you know why) for the trifecta.

...also track all your receipts and see how fast you get to $3,500 each year........

They should really just have a greeter say "Welcome back, what did you forget?" And have a barrel full of shims, batteries, 10mm sockets, light switch plates, and pvc glue at the entrance.

Remember kids, the contractor entrance has free coffee in the morning.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Oh god 10mm sockets. I swear I the contents of at least 7 socket sets in my tool bin and I couldn’t find a 10mm socket if my life depended on it

I really need to take better care of my tools.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Medullah posted:

I'm still rocking a nice red line from a late night week before Christmas trip to Home Depot where I stood up into a shelf. It disoriented me a bit but I shook it off and kept walking. Wasn't until a horrified employee stopped me and asked if I was okay that I realized I cut myself - blood rolling down the side of my bald head.

No such thing as a painless trip to the Depot

All successful home projects must include the following steps:

1) Staring
2) Swearing
3) Blood sacrifice

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

therobit posted:

All successful home projects must include the following steps:

1) Staring
2) Swearing
3) Blood sacrifice

I meditate by going to the hardware aisle and staring blankly at eye bolts and poo poo. Nothing else approaches the meditative blankness of mind required for enlightenment quite like figuring out what strength of drywall anchor you really need.

And then buying a couple if packages of various sizes because you really just like drywall anchors

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Suspect Bucket posted:

figuring out what strength of drywall anchor you really need.

The answer is none, screw into the stud.

My anchors always fail. My tenant most recently pulled the anchors loose for their toilet paper holder. I went up there and remounted it with toggle bolts. Good luck pulling that thing off now, gently caress.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sepist posted:

The answer is none, screw into the stud.

My anchors always fail. My tenant most recently pulled the anchors loose for their toilet paper holder. I went up there and remounted it with toggle bolts. Good luck pulling that thing off now, gently caress.

Ah the fun part of "ok this is clearly the stud" *drills* "gently caress, ok this is clearly the stud"

Finding out my upstairs was 16" studs but basement was 24" took a few tries.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

skipdogg posted:

Oh god 10mm sockets. I swear I the contents of at least 7 socket sets in my tool bin and I couldn’t find a 10mm socket if my life depended on it

I really need to take better care of my tools.

I really like these things for organizing my sockets: https://www.harborfreight.com/3-pc-socket-rail-set-68101.html

It works out well when I can just grab the whole strip and socket wrench to bring to my bolt/nut to mess with. I'm not enough of a nerd to know by eyeball which socket size I need, so it's handy to have all of them ready. I use one color strip for Freedom Units and another color for metric.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

That Works posted:

Ah the fun part of "ok this is clearly the stud" *drills* "gently caress, ok this is clearly the stud"

Finding out my upstairs was 16" studs but basement was 24" took a few tries.

Plus god forbid something designed with two anchors will have 16 inch spacing. At best I can hit one stud. They make really nifty easy install toggle bolts now though that are good for heavier loads and not nearly as painful to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

That Works posted:

Had some of this going on this weekend while mounting my tv. It was a lot more fun with plaster and lath making stud finding nearly impossible.

I just ended up taking a guess and cutting a 2x2 hole, and got lucky with a stud being only a couple inches away so I could see it.

Now I know studs are 16" apart at least.