Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

JustJeff88 posted:

I remember Holmes and Madoff, so this made me smile. As much as I abhor avoidable suffering and don't want anyone to be destitute, I would love to be able to walk by Lampert some day as he begs for money on the street and kick him in the head. It will never happen, but it's cathartic to think about it. Just in case, I should came up with a pithy Ayn Rand quote, but she was such a terrible writer and disgusting person that I can't stand to even glance at her work.
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?"

(OK it's not quite Ayn Rand but it's close enough.)

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Most of these people went down for fraud and/or were destroyed by bad investments during the housing crash. Lampert is doing it all (so far as we know) above board in what is still more or less a bull economy. He has dumped off virtually every valuable business wing and brand of Sears and yet can't for whatever reason stomach the company dying completely.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Many businessmen make decisions to do things that are illegal. Not all of them are caught. Not all of the ones that are caught lost their fortunes for it. Those are still their decisions.

Are you so sure that all of Lampert's decisions have been totally legal? I mean, of course I grant you that the ones that have lost him the most money with Sears have been legal, but what if something else he was doing was illegal and he'd been caught for that before completely screwing Sears up?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Interesting article, but god drat I wish people would spend 10 minutes to proof-read their poo poo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Discendo Vox posted:

I literally think oocc does not understand the concept of a market.

The Retail Collapse of 2019: Sears Arrears Fears

The Retail Collapse of 2019: Would you like the extended warranty?

The Retail Collapse of 2019: All those moments lost in time, like Sears in rain.

The Retail Collapse of 2019: Prime cuts of Bezos beefs

The Retail Collapse of 2019: Diagonally integrate your supply Bain

The Retail Collapse of 2019: Lambert and Bernie are Gay Married

The Retail Collapse of 2019: tbf you need a high IQ to understand Brick and Mortar

The Retail Collapse of 2019: From his lair deep within the former textile museum...

The Retail Collapse of 2017-9: Wow this is taking awhile
The Retail Collpase Thread:
Lampert and Earnings
Who had Sears in the Whirlpool?
Pinching JC Pennies
The Light of Lampert Upon the Sears Corpse
Like Mallrats from a Sinking Ship

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Retail Collapse 2019: The Dead Mall series.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Reatail Collapse 2019: Dead Rising to the Occasion

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Sears stock rocketed up 26% today (to 47 cents) on the news that Lampert was going to sink even more money into it.

Basically, lots of people are buying Sears stock now because they are hoping to cash out some of the $5 billion Lampert is injecting into the company in the next few months before it goes completely under and doesn't pay shareholders anything.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

twerking on the railroad posted:

Many businessmen make decisions to do things that are illegal. Not all of them are caught. Not all of the ones that are caught lost their fortunes for it. Those are still their decisions.

Are you so sure that all of Lampert's decisions have been totally legal? I mean, of course I grant you that the ones that have lost him the most money with Sears have been legal, but what if something else he was doing was illegal and he'd been caught for that before completely screwing Sears up?
I don’t see that he’s done anything criminal. If he had the other creditors should have raised it. He may have done things in shuffling Sears’ assets around that were inequitable, and could limit his right to collect on his loans.

e: I think he did get, or nearly get, a violation for failing to fund the pensions

e2: It's only meaningful to talk about whether the transactions were equitable or not because Sears is in bankruptcy. In an alternate reality where Sears had turned around, nobody would mention it and Lampert would be in high demand for his next gig.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 11, 2019

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Gazpacho posted:

I don’t see that he’s done anything criminal. If he had the other creditors should have raised it. He may have done things in shuffling Sears’ assets around that were inequitable, and could limit his right to collect on his loans.

Yeah I mean, if they found out he was doing something illegal, they would definitely report him, which would destroy what remaining value the company had and launch an investigation and make sure they would never get a dime back, but reporting him would be the ethical thing to do, so they would definitely do it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The fact that it’s legal to run a company into the ground and put thousands of people out of work to satisfy shareholders is a bigger indictment of the system than anything else

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah I mean, if they found out he was doing something illegal, they would definitely report him, which would destroy what remaining value the company had and launch an investigation and make sure they would never get a dime back, but reporting him would be the ethical thing to do, so they would definitely do it.
That's not how it works at all.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Start by learning what "disgorgement" is. Very few people believe at this point that Sears has value as an operating business with Lampert in charge. Its remaining value is in its assets, which have only been depleted with Lampert in charge. Creditors in this case would have definite material interests in knocking Lampert off, if they knew a way to do it.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Anyone paying attention to companies going after amazon's core business?

shoprunner is basically "prime shipping for this list of partipating stores" which is a cool idea because paying for shipping is probably the single largest barrier to me buying from places. I have it for free so we'll see how it does. Mostly clothes but that's still a huge market.

Fedex is getting into fulfillment services, which gives small-medium businesses an alternative to having to sell through amazon. Depends on your value per pound but they're going for a lower overall cost-per-sale than Bezos takes from you.

Also, how has Newegg managed to continue to exist? I quit shopping there when they had a policy of "Cool, you bought this? Boy it'd be a shame if it didn't get shipped for a few days" shakedown at checkout. I see they've acquired the same infestation of shady storefronts that exist due to international postal loopholes the same as Ebay, Target.com and Amazon now as well.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Harik posted:

Also, how has Newegg managed to continue to exist? I quit shopping there when they had a policy of "Cool, you bought this? Boy it'd be a shame if it didn't get shipped for a few days" shakedown at checkout. I see they've acquired the same infestation of shady storefronts that exist due to international postal loopholes the same as Ebay, Target.com and Amazon now as well.
Newegg's main draw is "actually useful reviews from technical nerds for technical nerds on technical products"

If you are buying a commodity, reviews don't matter, but with PC parts, it's all about ten different kinds of integration and compatibility, and the reviews on Newegg are just that. So when you're buying a very specific thing (pc parts), you go to the site where you can read actually valuable reviews.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I stopped shopping at Newegg when they got really pissy about the shipping address not matching the credit card address. I want to send stuff to my office! I haven't bought anything from them since, though they have probably relented on this stance.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Easy Diff posted:

So when you're buying a very specific thing (pc parts), you go to the site where you can read actually valuable reviews.

.....and then paste the exact part number into google and see who has it cheapest. At least that's what I do.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Harik posted:

shoprunner is basically "prime shipping for this list of partipating stores" which is a cool idea because paying for shipping is probably the single largest barrier to me buying from places. I have it for free so we'll see how it does. Mostly clothes but that's still a huge market.

Fedex is getting into fulfillment services, which gives small-medium businesses an alternative to having to sell through amazon. Depends on your value per pound but they're going for a lower overall cost-per-sale than Bezos takes from you.

Newegg participates with Shoprunner so sometimes I can get PC stuff cheaper and faster from them than any place else. Just bought a video card from them last week that was $30 cheaper than Amazon and shipped to my door next day.

I know our company uses Newegg business quite a bit too. If you work at a company that deals with a lot of technical PC components they are sometimes faster than Amazon or Digikey for certain stuff.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Motronic posted:

.....and then paste the exact part number into google and see who has it cheapest. At least that's what I do.

And that's why you'll have your back against the wall when the revolution comes

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Harik posted:

Only 24/7.

For example, I buy some movies on disk (yes, I know). Amazon has become extremely flimsy about this. First, they stopped allowing preorders for any Disney movies. Then they started labeling every movie as "By $actor_in_lead_role$", e.g. Terminator 2 is a movie "BY Arnold Schwarzenegger" now. Third, they started to miss shipping dates without any explanation and without giving me a new date, simply stating something to effect of "Late, should have shipped $original_date$".

Chat support disconnected and reconnected me 5 times (not exaggerating), clueless phone support told me that the Pixar movie I've ordered and was offered at Best Buy had not come out yet and was an order for a streaming movie.

Canceled the order and got it from Best Buy. So far, Best Buy has wanted my business and actually delivered the Disney movies. I hate nearly everything about Best Buy, but they are reliable about labeling, allowing preorders and shipping.

I feel like Amazon is actively pushing me away.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

screamin and creamin posted:

Canceled the order and got it from Best Buy. So far, Best Buy has wanted my business and actually delivered the Disney movies. I hate nearly everything about Best Buy, but they are reliable about labeling, allowing preorders and shipping.

I feel like Amazon is actively pushing me away.

Best Buy has bizarrely completely turned around from a store of last resort to actually pretty good and customer friendly in the last year. Its almost like they want my business now

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Harik posted:

I don’t know if I have ever come across someone who actually pays for Shoprunner. But seems like they are trying to expand into more functionality that may actually be profitable, so I root for them. Also I have a free account that was supposed to expire like 5 years ago that’s still free so it’s been pretty sweet.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I make it a habit to just ignore any bad customer service. I always keep in the forefront of my mind that everyone in the service sector is grossly underpaid and quite possibly working long hours at multiple, miserable jobs where they constantly put up with whiny, entitled customers just to survive. I'm sure that all of us have had at least one job like that, but that sadly doesn't always lead to any sort of compassion or empathy. What I really loathe are when places expect CSRs to act as if they are cheerful when, as far as I see it, anyone cheerful in such a role would be an example of severe mental illness. Imagine someone wasting dozens of hours a week of their precious life for the laughable sum of $8/hour at some awful cinema; of course they're in a bad mood. If someone is doing the job for which they were hired for a pittance of a paycheck, that's the best one can expect; you can't make it a condition of employment that they actually give a poo poo.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

I make it a habit to just ignore any bad customer service. I always keep in the forefront of my mind that everyone in the service sector is grossly underpaid and quite possibly working long hours at multiple, miserable jobs where they constantly put up with whiny, entitled customers just to survive. I'm sure that all of us have had at least one job like that, but that sadly doesn't always lead to any sort of compassion or empathy. What I really loathe are when places expect CSRs to act as if they are cheerful when, as far as I see it, anyone cheerful in such a role would be an example of severe mental illness. Imagine someone wasting dozens of hours a week of their precious life for the laughable sum of $8/hour at some awful cinema; of course they're in a bad mood. If someone is doing the job for which they were hired for a pittance of a paycheck, that's the best one can expect; you can't make it a condition of employment that they actually give a poo poo.

Cool, but somehow some companies manage to have processes in place whose outcome is that your poo poo actually gets delivered or that their customer service somehow works with a minimal amount of friction for both sides.

I'm not going to take poo poo all the time because somehow people are underpaid or what have you and I shouldn't be so entitled as to expect that the services and goods I paid for actually get delivered.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

JustJeff88 posted:

I've resolved to not snitch on people for bad service, unless it was specifically to mess with me.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Just wanted to say, this is a great thread title.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I've worked in AT&T's support call center and then worked for a hosting company as well where I did online and phone support. Whenever their policies were focused on, "so long as you fix their problem or figure out (and document with good, actionable notes) why this needs to be escalated, we don't care so much about your contact volume," everyone was about as happy and pleasant as you could reasonably expect while working at a call center.

When management would occasionally get a bug up their rear end about volume, everyone got miserable and the quality of support plummeted dramatically.

Having worked enough customer support jobs, it becomes pretty obvious when management is getting in the way of core functions.

Turns out when you train people well enough, pay them decently enough and then give them enough autonomy to do the job you hired them for, they do their jobs on average pretty good.

I'll take my PhD in business now.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

screamin and creamin posted:

Cool, but somehow some companies manage to have processes in place whose outcome is that your poo poo actually gets delivered or that their customer service somehow works with a minimal amount of friction for both sides.

I'm not going to take poo poo all the time because somehow people are underpaid or what have you and I shouldn't be so entitled as to expect that the services and goods I paid for actually get delivered.

I apologise if it seemed like I was directing a snide comment at you; I genuinely didn't mean to. I was just trying to make a broad generalisation that I assume in any customer service interaction. As basically everyone is paid and treated like poo poo whether they work at a huge, ludicrously profitable corporation like Amazon or a smaller one like Best Buy, I agree that customers may as well buy with whomever gives them the best overall service. It isn't as if one company pays their people well and gives them shoulder rubs while the other whips them and pays them in shiny buttons; they're all more or less equally reprehensible because :capitalism:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

I apologise if it seemed like I was directing a snide comment at you; I genuinely didn't mean to. I was just trying to make a broad generalisation that I assume in any customer service interaction. As basically everyone is paid and treated like poo poo whether they work at a huge, ludicrously profitable corporation like Amazon or a smaller one like Best Buy, I agree that customers may as well buy with whomever gives them the best overall service. It isn't as if one company pays their people well and gives them shoulder rubs while the other whips them and pays them in shiny buttons; they're all more or less equally reprehensible because :capitalism:

My problem with the current wave of calling customers or people "entitled" whenever they demand anything within their rights is that it's a great financial win for awful companies: Hire low-paid support people with terrible attitudes, create a terrible support experience overall and then call customers "whiny and entitled" when they get annoyed by that and tell them to gently caress off if they call you out. People and publications pointing out "entitled" customers are carrying water for this.

There are customers demanding unreasonable things for sure, but sorry, I've been given the runaround on several occasions, and I want to see how the people complaining about "entitled" customers would act when they have to explain the same story 15 times over two hours.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Motronic posted:

There's a website for that! PC Part Picker is actually not-awful and scrapes all kinds of sites to shop from.

(I think they're ad-funded I don't know or care so I guess they belong in this thread because what the hell is your business model? Maybe they rely on clickthroughs?)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Dameius posted:

Turns out when you train people well enough, pay them decently enough and then give them enough autonomy to do the job you hired them for, they do their jobs on average pretty good.

Also, if you pay them to take a break from work every now and then they're even more keen to do it well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's a website for that! PC Part Picker is actually not-awful and scrapes all kinds of sites to shop from.

(I think they're ad-funded I don't know or care so I guess they belong in this thread because what the hell is your business model? Maybe they rely on clickthroughs?)

Referrals on purchases yeah. It’s extremely lucrative. They early probably around 2-10% of each purchase depending on the site.

A site like Slickdeals works they same way and they earn around $25m a year.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1085540433479041024?s=19

I give it a year before it's back in bankruptcy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I somehow get the feeling that Lampert kept it open because he wasn't done raiding assets or something.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I somehow get the feeling that Lampert kept it open because he wasn't done raiding assets or something.

The idea is that at least some of the remaining stores sit on valuable land so he can sell them off at a later time for an assumed profit. To quote an earlier post in the thread

Sodomy Hussein posted:

He stands to become the world's foremost parking lot baron.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/aldotcom/status/1084906552291676160?s=19

Another one bites the dust.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Malls are gonna be abandoned within a decade. Crazy.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Invalid Validation posted:

Malls are gonna be abandoned within a decade. Crazy.
:hellyeah:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Maybe they’ll adapt and become residential real estate or indoor farmers markets, things people actually like.

Reality: Why aren’t people liking what we’re telling them to like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Maybe they’ll adapt and become residential real estate or indoor farmers markets, things people actually like.

Reality: Why aren’t people liking what we’re telling them to like?

My local mall is supper busy and nearly full of tenants but they seems to have adapted to the changing landscapes. The major anchors pulled out so they got filled with discount retailers like Marshalls, Used furniture stores, and they have lots of outlets/dollar stores like Five Below. Good mix where you have a Victorias Secret next to a Bose outlet next to a Uniqlo. Place is still packed every weekend.

They also have the only Rainforest Cafe left on the west coast which is :psyduck: