Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
https://youtu.be/TBtEHx_rspY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Helsing posted:

loling Indulging yourself in the collective fantasy that you and people like you are the last pillar of a crumbling society is like 90% of the appeal of modern conservatism CSPAM.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Terror Sweat posted:

These taxes are regressive

yup

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Fallen Hamprince posted:

it's very important that we address climate change in a way that does not involve any cost to myself nor requires me to change my lifestyle in any way

Consumption taxes are loving terrible, it’s not like people are using more gas then they need to get to work, and public transportation is terrible in most of the country

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Wow, maybe we could put some of those awful consumption taxes towards improving public transit so that people don't need to buy as much fuel to function day to day?

No, clearly that's crazy. Instead we should continue to subsidize people's use of single occupant vehicles by externalizing the costs to the environment.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

no but you see buses are for the smelly poors and i'm much too important to walk 500 metres and wait on the side of the road for a bus when i could be spending that time scraping and shoveling and being stuck in traffic

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fallen Hamprince posted:

it's very important that we address climate change in a way that does not involve any cost to myself nor requires me to change my lifestyle in any way - justin trudeau

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'll have you know that the automobile is the ultimate expression of personal freedom and it's my god given right as a canadian to never ever have to be in the slightest bit inconvenienced by commie bullshit like transit timetables

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

Consumption taxes are loving terrible, it’s not like people are using more gas then they need to get to work, and public transportation is terrible in most of the country

what they do is shift the burden of climate change onto the poor and lets the big polluters pretend they're doing something about it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

encouraging public transit use is good though

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

i'll have you know that the automobile is the ultimate expression of personal freedom and it's my god given right as a canadian to never ever have to be in the slightest bit inconvenienced by commie bullshit like transit timetables

Please don't call pickup trucks automobiles.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:30bux:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 01:00 on Jun 16, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Nationalize all public transportations and make it free.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

apparently there is a "truck convoy" to Ottawa to protest Trudeau, and yellow vests are explicitly not allowed :lol:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Consumption taxes can work if you maintain the relative income of the lower classes through wealth transfer. But that's the big issue, consumption taxes still don't fix the issue that our entire society is patterned on growth and wealth concentration at the top. For a carbon tax to be really effective the rate would have to be so high that it would definitely cause a prolonged depression if you still base your economic system on consumer spending. Air travel and tourism would become basically non-existant. So will your carbon tax also include massive wealth redistribution to help with all the people will lose their jobs?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Maxime Bernier's party has announced their first candidate, and it's a woman who's spent decades fighting progress on LGBT issues. most recently she unsuccessfully ran for Burnaby school trustee on an anti-SOGI platform. she's very normal.

https://twitter.com/danlebla/status/1083018301314424832

they're not homophobic or racist though. they're libertarians, neither right nor left

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
She's an idiot, but on the other hand, if the riding is already a three-way race in the general election, maybe an obnoxious so-con can get you a quarter share of the vote.

Parachuting in from New Westminster, I learned, when I was making a by-election summary post for the D&D thread after Liberals picked their candidate. That could mean she lives as many as several blocks outside the riding!

As much as by-elections are weird, I think Singh takes it easily in absence of consensus pick for opponent. General election will be more interesting.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Please don't call pickup trucks automobiles.

what's the preferred nomenclature?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:3:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 01:00 on Jun 16, 2021

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Truck nut delivery system

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/_Saeen_/status/1082745774113464320

lmao

https://twitter.com/_Saeen_/status/1082753548792717312

she made herself known nationally as the woman who might secretly record you criticizing Lord Peterson and unleash a mob of his fanboys at you, she gloated about ruining the lives of the "losers" she did it to, and is now upset that people are avoiding her like the plague that she is

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
consumption taxes are fine as long as you provide people a reasonable alternative to having to pay for the thing with the tax on top and also it needs to be applied equally to all people and corporations.

before they cancelled it manitobas carbon tax was literally just going to be a 0.05$ per litre gasoline tax with corporations and farmers exempted and the tax rebate was going to be a rise in personal exemptions, also all cities in manitoba have no or absolutely lovely rock bottom transit options

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I've been involved with consumption for most of my adult life and it's quite TAXING ENOUGH MR TRUDEAU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Just tax the carbon companies at the rate of nationalizing all their assets.

Also help I've become embroiled in a stupid argument on twitter about the RCMP helping evict natives to make place for a lovely pipeline that will create less than 50 jobs and leak all time.

Don't help me win the argument, jsut help me be less stupid and stop engaging with terrible people on twitter.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

THC posted:

she made herself known nationally as the woman who might secretly record you criticizing Lord Peterson and unleash a mob of his fanboys at you, she gloated about ruining the lives of the "losers" she did it to, and is now upset that people are avoiding her like the plague that she is

i dunno if it was in the discovery process or what but finding out she checked in with jorp before she shipped the recording around just makes it even funnier.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just tax the carbon companies at the rate of nationalizing all their assets.

Also help I've become embroiled in a stupid argument on twitter about the RCMP helping evict natives to make place for a lovely pipeline that will create less than 50 jobs and leak all time.

Don't help me win the argument, jsut help me be less stupid and stop engaging with terrible people on twitter.

Those people you're arguing with are racist jerks and, god willing, they'll ride thier snowmobiles out on ice that's unseasonably thin because of climate change this winter.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Another Bill posted:

Those people you're arguing with are racist jerks and, god willing, they'll ride thier snowmobiles out on ice that's unseasonably thin because of climate change this winter.

One of them blocked me, so soon I shall be rid of this stupid argument.

Injustice just gets me so angry.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/maximebernier/status/1082820465725452288?s=21

Bernier making an early play for the QAnon vote

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
ahahaahahah this fucken guy

https://twitter.com/AndrewScheer/status/1083489830342930433

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Bernier making an early play for the QAnon vote

given the response i think he played his hand a bit too soon

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

seriously scheer, bernier, i know you're eager to go for full nazi but these things take time

give it a couple years and everyone will be super horny for hitler

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Lmao

https://twitter.com/__Ronin/status/1083491843634069506

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/JesseBrown/status/1083168407850225670

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

DariusLikewise posted:

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:!!!MEAT TAX!!!:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

I know this is just dumb hysteria, but ---

If say Ontario made it a law that methane produced by animals indoors should be burned to heat the barns, and then provided funds to do it, it would be a big step in reducing GHGs. I've a brother in law who's a farmer, and he tells me Ontario used to subsidize this, but they stopped doing it, and it apparently doesn't make financial sense without the subsidy.

If the government just made it a rule and made the farmers themselves pay for upgrades, I guess they would have to pass the cost along via higher prices, and that would be a meat tax?

(I'm overthinking this, aren't I)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also can we refer to Andrew Scheer as Admiral Scheer, it amuses me

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
scheer horror

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
well well well looks like the puritan anti civil rights left pushing for more authoritarian alcohol control laws is actually helping the police perpetrate its fascist white supremacist agenda!! who would have thought ???

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvell...h_3XGb_IWWppK-M

welcome to canada where if you...
say something offensive on facebook,
say something offensive in one of your rap songs,
smoke a weed and have a beer before driving....
you get deported motherfucker!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-areJtNOG7I

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/ctvqp/status/1084484334885625857?s=21
https://twitter.com/ctvqp/status/1084492319645097984

lol

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Mulcair is real mad somebody else gets to drag the NDP rightward instead of him and keeps making these catty little comments about Singh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mameluke posted:

Mulcair is real mad somebody else gets to drag the NDP rightward instead of him and keeps making these catty little comments about Singh

only the strongest may take the coveted title of chief left-puncher