Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

hmm Mendoza made a progressive property tax proposal and then immediately backed away from it

https://capitolfax.com/2019/01/08/mendoza-floats-tiered-property-tax-system/

Her backing away from the plan aside. Would this also be a progressive tax, or just an immediate jump to a higher %? Like let's say the tiers are $200k, $400k, and $600k and up. If your home is $300k, does the first $200K get taxed at the first rate, and the next $100k taxed at the second rate? I didn't see any details on it, but it's an intriguing idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I get a weekly text spam from Paul Vallas still. Can't unsubscribe from it either.

Amara would probably be my choice right now. Everyone else just seems terrible.

If you text STOP back, it's supposed to remove you from the list. I haven't gotten any since I did that, but I maintain it's still a dick thing to do. I wasn't going to vote for him anyway, but that certainly solidified it in my mind.

e: source

Big Black Dick fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 8, 2019

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Her backing away from the plan aside. Would this also be a progressive tax, or just an immediate jump to a higher %? Like let's say the tiers are $200k, $400k, and $600k and up. If your home is $300k, does the first $200K get taxed at the first rate, and the next $100k taxed at the second rate? I didn't see any details on it, but it's an intriguing idea.

Details on it don't exist, but if they are smart it would likely be applied so that there aren't any tax cliffs. It's pretty common to make it progressive by using an exemption plus a flat rate (i.e. $20k exemption is a 20% reduction on a $100k house and a 2% reduction on a $1M house) rather than a tiered system, sort of like we already do for homeowners.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Amara gives great speeches but hasn't done a progressive thing in her life.

She says she's against the cop academy but never showed up to an action.

She says she wants schools to stay open but never said or did anything about the fight to keep the Englewood high schools and NTA open (especially since she's an attorney). She didn't say or do a thing about new charter schools opening in Austin even though she's the president of the Austin Chamber of Commerce.

She says she wants a Universal Basic Income but refused to meet with Ameya Pawar's working group. (Before he started running for City Treasurer.)

She endorsed Bob Fioretti over Chuy Garcia and Chris Kennedy over Daniel Biss.

She may be a progressive, but she isn't interested in actually doing the hard work to make things happen.

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 9, 2019

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I agree she's not perfect but I do think she's the best candidate there is. I'm curious, who do you support?

The X-man cometh posted:

Amara gives great speeches but hasn't done a progressive thing in her life.

I think this is a little disingenuous... just from googling around, she has been involved with many non-profits/community organizations (Austin Coming Together, Friendship Community Development, Institute for Cooperative Economics, Blue 1647, Illinois Commission on Diversity and Human Relations, Chicago Principals and Administrators Association). Between that and reading her old blog posts (https://themunicipalmaven.wordpress.com) I think it's safe to call her fairly progressive, certainly in comparison to many of her opponents!

The X-man cometh posted:

She says she's against the cop academy but never showed up to an action.

Have any candidates (other than Ja'mal) actually been to actions?

Her position (opposition) on the academy seems sensible:

quote:

“What’s also troubling is that the police academy was being touted as an economic development project needed on the West Side, when in fact, it is not an anchor that will create any significant economic impact for the West Garfield Park community,” Enyia said. “Instead of trying to pass off police infrastructure as economic development, the city should actually commit to a comprehensive economic investment plan.”

The X-man cometh posted:

She says she wants schools to stay open but never said or did anything about the fight to keep the Englewood high schools and NTA open (especially since she's an attorney). She didn't say or do a thing about new charter schools opening in Austin even though she's the president of the Austin Chamber of Commerce.

Amara was involved with #WeAreNTA, and was on the Equity Committee that wrote opposing recommendations for the Board of Education: https://fix8media-chicago.squarespace.com/s/Equity-Committee-Report-Full-Final.pdf

As for charter schools, it looks like she was speaking out against them during her brief run last time against Rahm, and she was involved in opposing them and the school closings:

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/06/16/mayoral-candidate-mayor-emanuel-is-the-typical-candidate-and-thats-the-problem/

quote:

While acting as Executive Director of Austin Coming Together, Amara was part of the Community Action Councils that assisted Chicago Public Schools in developing an educational strategy in Chicago’s communities. For over a year, Amara, parents and community members spent their nights coming up with their ideal educational landscape. Despite the hard work of not only Austin, but neighborhoods across the city, Mayor Emanuel and CPS ended up closing 50 schools. To everyone involved in the process, one thing was made perfectly clear: The administration had not put into action any of the suggestions Austin, or any of Chicago’s other neighborhoods, had proposed.

The X-man cometh posted:

She says she wants a Universal Basic Income but refused to meet with Ameya Pawar's working group. (Before he started running for City Treasurer.)

I didn't know she supported UBI but cool! Any info on why she wasn't involved with that proposal? I see the "Task Force" that resulted from Pawar's proposal has such luminaries as Patrick O'Connor so my hopes aren't the highest...

The X-man cometh posted:

She endorsed Bob Fioretti over Chuy Garcia and Chris Kennedy over Daniel Biss.

No contest here... both of these are lovely moves and I don't like it at all.

The X-man cometh posted:

She may be a progressive, but she isn't interested in actually doing the hard work to make things happen.

What makes you think this? It seems like she's been plenty busy to me.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
LaRaviere was at No Cop Academy actions before he quit, too. A lot of Aldermanic candidates showed up, too.

I didn't know she was involved with the NTA fight, which is cool.

But the charter statements are exactly what bothers me about her - she talked about them when she was running for office, and then said nothing for 4 years.

Same with the school closings -she sat in on meetings but then couldn't get anything done.

I just feel like Amara says a lot of great things and doesn't follow through. And if she becomes mayor, will she actually push progressive policies through City Council?

I was supporting Ja'mal Green until he got kicked off the ballot. I really like Lori Lightfoot, except she was on the police board. I think I'll see who Ja'mal endorses.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Troy was definitely my favorite, I was sad he dropped out.

Ja'mal is clearly also passionate about Chicago and Chicagoans but his campaign seemed to be more of a protest run. I will keep an eye on who he endorses, though.

Lightfoot... aside from the Police Board history which really bothers me, she has some other background elements that less than progressive:

- a history in corporate law
- refused to call for the abolition of ICE
- opposed to single-payer healthcare
- opposed to Medicare expansion/M4A

But mostly I question her ability to accomplish change if she was so deeply involved in the police system while things were so bad. I think I question her commitment there the same way it sounds like you are questioning Amara's. I just feel like Amara has a stronger history of involvement and action.

I do give Lightfoot props for having the nerve to run before Rahm dropped out, and in a runoff between her and him she would have been an easy choice.

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 9, 2019

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
He wasn’t a perfect candidate either but it’s a drat shame they dispatched Chuy with an easy win. I thought at the time that it was to knock out a formidable rematch to Rahm but now who knows.

I would easily support him over any of these folks.

And yeah Amara endorsing Fioretti (who similarly bafflingly endorsed Rahm) really throws her judgment into question.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

downstate stuff but still IL, a bunch of corporations got together and hosed a small town dry by getting local government to give them tax breaks.

they're not paying taxes:

quote:

An opportunity as great as the Intermodal came with a cost. First, to help seal the deal, the town had to offer the developer, CenterPoint, a sweetener: total tax abatement for two decades, until 2022. Second, the town would have to put up with an influx of truck traffic. No matter: With large-scale manufacturing shifting to the Pacific Rim at the turn of the millennium, the warehousing and logistics industry offered a chance to get back in the good graces of a global economy that had, for decades, turned its back on rural America. Elwood yoked its hopes to warehousing, which would carry the town to the forefront of America’s new consumer economy.

In a few short years after the Intermodal opened, Elwood became the largest inland port in North America. Billions of dollars in goods flowed through the area annually. The world’s most profitable retailers flocked to this stretch of barren country, while the headline unemployment rate plunged. Wal-Mart set up three warehouses in Will County alone, including its two largest national facilities, both located in Elwood. Samsung, Target, Home Depot, IKEA, and others all moved in. Will County is now home to some 300 warehouses. A region once known for its soybeans and cornfields was boxed up with gray facilities, some as large as a million square feet, like some enormous, horizontal equivalent of a game of Tetris.

Fifteen years before Amazon’s HQ2 horserace, Elwood had won the retail lottery. “Nobody envisioned what we have out here,” said Jerry Heinrich, who sat on the board of the planning commission that first apportioned the land for development in the mid-1990s. “It was never anticipated that every major business entity would end up in the area.”

“It was never anticipated that every major business entity would end up in the area,” said Jerry Heinrich.
But this corporate valhalla turned out to be hell for the community, which suffered a concentrated dose of the indignities and disappointments of late capitalism in the 21st century. Instead of abundant full-time work, a regime of partial, precarious employment set in. Temp agencies flourished, but no restaurants, hotels, or grocery stores ever came, save for the recent addition of a dollar store. Tens of thousands of semis rumbled through Will County every day, wreaking havoc on the infrastructure. And as the town of Elwood scrambled to pave its potholes, its inability to collect taxes from the facilities plunged it into more than $30 million in debt.

they're literally killing people:

quote:

For Paul Buss, the 77-year-old highway commissioner of Jackson Township, the unincorporated land that sits to Elwood’s north, the trucks unleashed the chaos of the global supply chain on what was once a provincial post. “When I started, all these roads were dirt,” he told me as we drove around in his raised red Ford pickup. Once, a few slow tractors on the highway constituted a traffic jam. Now, the nearby interstates—the I-80 and the I-55—are swollen with semis at all hours of the day, while cataracts of trucks have spilled onto local highways and country roads. Potholes abound, and serpentine traffic jams have roiled residents. Trucks have backed over gravestones at the local cemetery after taking wrong turns. In 2016, a train derailed and hit a semi, throwing debris across the grounds of an elementary school, which was subsequently shuttered permanently for safety reasons. On the day I arrived, there were three accidents alone on I-80.

The trucks unleashed the chaos of the global supply chain on what was once a provincial post.
The inconvenience of a gridlocked infrastructure pales in comparison to the horror of increasingly commonplace traffic fatalities. In recent years, a pregnant mother was killed on I-80, and an eight-year-old girl was killed off highway 53. In 2014, a truck driver fell asleep at the wheel and killed five people on I-55. After a fatal accident outside the two newest Amazon fulfillment centers, cops had to take over traffic control during the afternoon shift change. “You think it would be a big news story,” said Legrett, “but it happens all of the time.”

Buss is responsible for the country and local roads around highway 53, a ribbon of four narrow lanes that connects the interstates with Elwood. Sometimes all four lanes will be occupied by baby blue Amazon trailers featuring the company’s signature curved arrow, four immense white smiles all in momentary alignment. The facilities run 24 hours a day, and the three shift changes—morning, afternoon, and just before midnight—are particularly harried. Backups of hundreds of cars and semis are frequent. Municipalities have struggled to maintain the roads—one stretch of 53 was repaved three times last summer alone.

The turmoil has only been exacerbated by changes in the trucking industry, which has pivoted to an owner-operator model, relying on independent contractors over full-time employees. Oftentimes, truckers are paid per load—$50 to $70 to pick up a container from the Intermodal and drop it off at a warehouse. For independent contractors, responsible for their own gas and operating costs, speed is tantamount to profitability. A traffic jam can turn the trip from profit to loss. So truckers often take shortcuts down small residential roads, unequipped for weight and traffic, to shave valuable minutes off their commute. Sometimes they’ll get stuck in narrow intersections. “No Trucks” signs are ubiquitous, but they’ve been of little use as deterrents.

they gently caress over temp/contract workers:

quote:

With nearly 100 staffing agencies promising access to the same low-wage workforce, offering a competitive cost advantage to warehouses looking to staff up is nearly impossible. That pressure leads to corner-cutting of all sorts, which often includes wage theft, in the form of paying piece rates, skimping on hours, or having workers pay for their own drug tests, a process that was only recently outlawed. “How else are you going to cut costs?” posited Clack. “It’s this race to the bottom mentality.” McDonald ultimately filed a suit against Reliable Staffing for wage theft and won a couple thousand dollars in a settlement—but not before the agency tried to declare bankruptcy to avoid a payout. “That’s what they do,” he said, “they file bankruptcy so they don’t have to pay people.” (None of the staffing agencies contacted for this article responded to request for comment.)

they keep driving towns into debt:

quote:

All Elwood’s problems—the choking traffic, the precarious work conditions, the crumbling infrastructure—have been compounded by an original sin: the decision to forego tax collection. With little money coming in, the village issued bonds to finance the town hall, the gleaming new sidewalks, and the stop signs that are observed only voluntarily. “At the end of the day, it turns out they cut a very bad deal,” Greuling told me. “They issued bonds for a water and sewer system that was too large. They built all of this capacity and now they have this huge debt. That’s the next chapter: How are they going to find a way to retire this debt?”

Elwood, down $30 million and counting, isn’t the only town in a hole. Neighboring towns wanted a piece of the fast-burgeoning industry, and cut their own tax incentive deals with warehouse developers. Nearby Bolingbrook, where Weathertech, Ulta, and Goya Beans moved in, is now $200 million in debt. Romeoville, home to Sony and one of the county’s five Amazon facilities, is $89 million in the red. “The area grew so rapidly that we lost the ability to regulate,” said Jerry Heinrich, who continues to advocate for the region’s prairie as head of the Midewin Tallgrass Prairie Alliance, a local environmental group. “There are a lot of hard feelings,” Delilah Legrett told me. Elwood “was a small village and they were taken advantage of by a big corporation.”

The numbers are extreme, but they’re far from unusual. Despite research indicating that tax incentives rarely motivate corporate relocation, such deals are being doled out at record rates, tripling since 1990. This year, the town of Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin (population 26,000), famously borrowed hundreds of millions of dollars to help bankroll a $760 million incentive package to Foxconn, from which they wouldn’t break even for some 30 years. Smaller, but no less ridiculous, deals pervade—in 2016, a town in Maryland offered Marriott $62 million to move its headquarters just five miles down the road.

and they're just gonna bail when it gets bad enough:

quote:

But when it comes to the long-term prospects for the region, optimism is scarce. Paul Buss’s son, who works as a building inspector in Joliet, told his dad there’s concern “these companies are gonna come in, they’re gonna build these buildings, and they’re gonna use them for however long they can get a tax break on them, and then they’ll move someplace else.” The threat of empty warehouses looms large.

big box retail (and now Amazon) is a scourge on this country and this poo poo is going to keep happening because they take advantage of short-sighted and money-minded local politicians who don't know any better and then throw up their arms and say "welp i guess we can always just leave" when the people have had enough. gently caress Them All.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Homer and Lockport, right near 355 and 80, are busy doing the exact same thing right now. At least a dozen of these huge warehouses have gone up with another gigantic development underway right now.

And, of course, big tax breaks and lovely jobs with tons of truck traffic.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

big box retail (and now Amazon) is a scourge on this country and this poo poo is going to keep happening because they take advantage of short-sighted and money-minded local politicians who don't know any better and then throw up their arms and say "welp i guess we can always just leave" when the people have had enough.

Personally, I blame the politicians over the businesses - they failed in their personal responsibility to the taxpayers. If we could hold politicians personally accountable for their decisions in matters like these, I bet we would see fewer bad decisions (or at least more schadenfreude).

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Actually it's good and correct to blame exploitative capitalist businesses rather than individuals when it's something we see over and over and over again across the country/world

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Why not both?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I drive through that area a few times a year to visit the raceway but it's always on weekends, is dead as gently caress so you got these huge pristine roads with not a single car in them cutting past corn fields and a handful of the warehouses.

Is super tempting to bury your foot but there is always a couple cops camped out, I don't think I've ever not seen a speed trap.

I have no doubt the town is in trouble but the infrastructure doesn't seem THAT bad down there. Lots of work has been done the last several years.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Also applies to any sort of public money going towards sports stadiums for teams owned by billionaires. You want a new stadium? Write a check. You have 3 commas in your net worth.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Big Black Dick posted:

Also applies to any sort of public money going towards sports stadiums for teams owned by billionaires. You want a new stadium? Write a check. You have 3 commas in your net worth.

Rahm is hot trash but I do appreciate him telling the Ricketts to gently caress off when they came begging for city money.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

they just didn't donate enough to rahm

(and they were going to donate against obama which pissed him off)

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I can sort of understand giving a company a tax break for maybe like 3-5 years at the most (although I would never do 0%), but why in the world would you give one two decades or more of absolutely no taxes?

It doesn't make any sense at all to me, regardless of how many jobs they say they are going to create. I know the thought is "oh this company will move in and then other companies will follow", but why immediately undercut that position by giving the following companies tax breaks too?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, anyone that played simcity knows you just gotta lower taxes by a half a percent for a few months and once everyone moves in jack it back up.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I drove through Elwood earlier this year because I was going to the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery. Lots of signs up saying No to any future intermodal/distribution buildings. It was quiet when I drove through, but I can't imagine a small town dealing with the traffic they're talking about.

I am literally for a law that bans cities giving any sort of tax break to any private company. Nationwide would be preferred. The public should not be subsidizing capital like this. It creates competition between towns to cut taxes, and corporations just use them up and move on. It won't stop unless it comes down from on high because there is always going to be some idiot city manager or village president that just sees jobs and signs the town's life away.

brugroffil posted:

Rahm is hot trash but I do appreciate him telling the Ricketts to gently caress off when they came begging for city money.

Ricketts also just got a soccer stadium denied in the Lincoln Yards project. The alderman said no to the stadium, and to the music venues, so I'm interested to see what changes with that development.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Kansas and Missouri are the worst example of border war corporate headquarter moving nonsense.

https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=668790306

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I am literally for a law that bans cities giving any sort of tax break to any private company. Nationwide would be preferred. The public should not be subsidizing capital like this. It creates competition between towns to cut taxes, and corporations just use them up and move on. It won't stop unless it comes down from on high because there is always going to be some idiot city manager or village president that just sees jobs and signs the town's life away.

Could put it into the state constitution.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

LLSix posted:

Could put it into the state constitution.

All that does it reduce Illinois's competitiveness for business. It's an interstate commerce issue.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

esquilax posted:

All that does it reduce Illinois's competitiveness for business. It's an interstate commerce issue.

International

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

brugroffil posted:

International

True but much of that is addressed through international institutions and trade agreements. We don't have a WTO of the midwest or interstate tarriffs

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

esquilax posted:

The article that started this discussion is about a town that is $30 million worse off now than if it would be if it had never offered a tax break to attract a company. "Competitiveness" that results in a net loss for the tax payers we can do without.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I drove through Elwood earlier this year because I was going to the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery. Lots of signs up saying No to any future intermodal/distribution buildings. It was quiet when I drove through, but I can't imagine a small town dealing with the traffic they're talking about.

Not exactly Illinois (but close enough), Reply All did an awesome piece on Mt. Pleasant's FoxConn plant, and what an utter con job it was.

My guess is the mayor will be living in the Caymans in a decade, with a giant mystery bank account.

https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/132-negative-mount-pleasant

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Beastie posted:

Not exactly Illinois (but close enough), Reply All did an awesome piece on Mt. Pleasant's FoxConn plant, and what an utter con job it was.

My guess is the mayor will be living in the Caymans in a decade, with a giant mystery bank account.

https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/132-negative-mount-pleasant

Amazing. According to the article it'll be at least 30 years before they could even break even since they didn't just give tax breaks but actual money they had to take out loans for. There's no way that factory will still be running in thirty years.

I especially like the part where they promised to pay to relocate people and then didn't pay people who didn't demand cash up front. Just so they could save a few thousands of dollars on a 750 million budget.

The article doesn't mention anything the council or the mayor gets out of this. Its entirely possible they were so stupid as to sell out their town, break promises they personally made to people they've known all their life, for absolutely nothing. Its breathtaking. I hope the mayor did get a big payout and the reporters just weren't able to find it. That would be easier to understand than such monumental stupidity as to make the deal despite hundreds of people saying it was a bad idea.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

LLSix posted:

Amazing. According to the article it'll be at least 30 years before they could even break even since they didn't just give tax breaks but actual money they had to take out loans for. There's no way that factory will still be running in thirty years.

I especially like the part where they promised to pay to relocate people and then didn't pay people who didn't demand cash up front. Just so they could save a few thousands of dollars on a 750 million budget.

The article doesn't mention anything the council or the mayor gets out of this. Its entirely possible they were so stupid as to sell out their town, break promises they personally made to people they've known all their life, for absolutely nothing. Its breathtaking. I hope the mayor did get a big payout and the reporters just weren't able to find it. That would be easier to understand than such monumental stupidity as to make the deal despite hundreds of people saying it was a bad idea.

It's such a boondoggle, Scott Walker (ex-governor) went from talking it up in campaign speeches to not mentioning it at all due to unpopularity in the span of like a month or two. Literally everyone I know in Wisconsin on both sides of the spectrum think it was an absolutely horrible idea.

My biggest issue is that Wisconsin basically give the Great Lakes Compact the middle finger and is letting Foxconn pump 7 million gallons of water a DAY out of Lake Michigan. gently caress everything about that deal.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LLSix posted:

The article that started this discussion is about a town that is $30 million worse off now than if it would be if it had never offered a tax break to attract a company. "Competitiveness" that results in a net loss for the tax payers we can do without.

It may have hosed the town, but the state probably benefited, no?

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

baquerd posted:

Absolutely not. The original projections were that the subsidies would pay off in 2043. That was when the number was $3 billion. It's since increased to over $4 billion which works out to about $315,000 in tax breaks per job created. A Forbes article had this quote:

"Realistically, the payback period for a $100,000 per job deal is not 20 years, not 42 years, but somewhere between hundreds of years and never. At $230,000 or $1 million per job, there is no hope of recapturing the state funds spent from taxes on the company and its workers."

It's an indefensible deal and will be costing Wisconsin taxpayers for decades to come.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Big Black Dick posted:

Absolutely not. The original projections were that the subsidies would pay off in 2043. That was when the number was $3 billion. It's since increased to over $4 billion which works out to about $315,000 in tax breaks per job created. A Forbes article had this quote:

"Realistically, the payback period for a $100,000 per job deal is not 20 years, not 42 years, but somewhere between hundreds of years and never. At $230,000 or $1 million per job, there is no hope of recapturing the state funds spent from taxes on the company and its workers."

It's an indefensible deal and will be costing Wisconsin taxpayers for decades to come.

Sorry for the confusion, but I was referring to the earlier IL deal: https://newrepublic.com/article/152836/elwood-illinois-pop-2200-become-vital-hub-americas-consumer-economy-its-hell

Time for sovereign state lawmakers to annul the deal in the WI case? Regardless, it's clear that when idiot politicians mortgage the future of their constituents, something needs to be done. I would prefer the politicians be held personally accountable, but I understand ruining them can only provide so much revenue and the companies will need to be hurt too in many cases.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

LLSix posted:

Possibly legal and sales teams for multi dollar companies are more sophisticated than small and mid sized town officials?

Doesn't explain New York's giveaways to Amazon though lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
New York is actually fighting that currently

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

baquerd posted:

Hahahaha. Foxconn keeps revising the actual number of jobs generated down, and also added an asterisk that basically says "Oh you know how there's this bigass city with a ton of talent about an hour and half south? We'll be hiring a lot of people from there."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

quote:

Tribune…

Billionaire Democratic Gov.-elect J.B. Pritzker, who pumped more than $171 million of his own wealth into his campaign to defeat Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner in November, now will use his own money to bolster his top government aides’ salaries, his transition team reported Friday.

Pritzker’s incoming Chief of Staff Anne Caprara will be paid a salary of $298,000 — $148,000 in state money and $150,000 more from East Jackson Street LLC, an organization Pritzker set up to “enable the governor-elect to personally compensate some staff in addition to their government salary,” a spokeswoman said in a statement.

Rauner’s chief, by comparison, made $180,000 in 2018, according to state records. […]

Pritzker’s transition pointed to former New York City mayor and fellow billionaire Michael Bloomberg supplementing his staff’s pay with his own money. The transition says Pritzker’s move means some aides will have lower taxpayer-funded salaries than Rauner’s, and they’ll have to report the supplemental income on ethics forms.

* Sun-Times…

The double salary will be apply to Pritzker’s chief of staff Anne Caprara, his three deputy governors Dan Hynes, Christian Mitchell and Jesse Ruiz and their special assistants, deputy chiefs of staff and other high-level employees. It will apply to 20 positions, including some that have not been filled. […]

The deputy governors will make $278,000: $139,000 each from the state and the LLC. Senior adviser Nikki Budzinski will make the same.

His deputy chiefs of staff, including Emily Bittner, who will run his communications staff, will make $174,000 and Abudayyeh, his press secretary, will have her state salary of $75,000 doubled to $150,000. […]

Staff who receive the additional pay will be required to publicly report it in line with other public disclosures.

* Press release…

The Governor-Elect is committed to recruiting top talent to state government to best address the challenges Illinois faces. As a result, an LLC has been created that will enable the Governor-Elect to personally compensate some staff in addition to their government salary, reducing the cost to taxpayers. This process will take place in a transparent manner with requirements that information be reported publicly.

The Pritzker transition claims he will not take any tax deductions on the supplemental payments.

https://twitter.com/MaryAnnAhernNBC/status/1083760107563991044

lol

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Even Jesse White can't escape the stink. He was the only guy I could not remember a bad thing said about.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/?post_type=cst_article&p=1618996

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Its Chicago man, you been in office that long, you're dirty, its just how it is.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

JB Pritzker proving that trickle down economics do work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

At least his vanity project funded by tax payers is a community center which I imagine is actually useful to have.