Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CornHolio posted:

The worst thing is that you know that isn't going to be limited to the Explorer. That design is going to be their general interior layout pretty much across the board.

This is the nightmare I have when I think about getting a new car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

incels interlinked posted:

The new Explorer looks really nice. I was at the Chevy dealership today and they need to step their game up.

does it?

I can't stop looking at that front, it looks like Hyundai in early 2000s trying to copy designs, it's poo poo compared to the '18 front

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Godzilla07 posted:

Ford is really taking “gently caress it let’s glue an iPad onto the dashboard” to the extreme here.

good lord

Is it cheaper to just stick screens in like this compared to integrating them into the dash or something

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 10, 2019

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Is there a new edge planned to come along after the explorer? My wife just got done having a platinum edition 2018 model as a rental for three weeks and she fell in love with it.

Not that I'm aware of. They just did a mid-cycle facelift/refresh for the 2019 models, so I would expect the current Edge to be around for a few more years. They're not bad cars, if we ever decide we don't want the 3rd row seating of the Explorer it would be my wife's second choice.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nice to get a heads up on what police vehicles will looks like soon.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Morphix posted:

does it?

I can't stop looking at that front, it looks like Hyundai in early 2000s trying to copy designs, it's poo poo compared to the '18 front

The best thing I can say about it is at least it looks slightly less like every other 4x4 trying to copy a Land/Range Rover. The 2018 just screams cheap Chinese copy.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

euphronius posted:

Nice to get a heads up on what police vehicles will looks like soon.

We have an Explorer in the Magnetic Metallic grey paint, and lots of people think we're a cop car when driving (local PD has some "stealth" vehicles with grey paint and black lettering). I'm tempted to put steelies and a push bar on it to complete the look.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Monkey Fracas posted:

good lord

Is it cheaper to just stick screens in like this compared to integrating them into the dash or something

it’s about where you put your eyes and how you interact with it. If you want a touchscreen it has to be within reach, and that means proud of the dash of you want it near the driver’s eyeline. If you want touch and flush integration then it has to go in the stack and that means taking your eyes off the road longer.

If you don’t want touch you can have it high up and integrated.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Is the hybrid one later availability, fleet only, or any other big asterisks? I saw them mention that the refreshed body can fit a 4' wide sheet of _something_ in the back, but there's no way that 4x8 plywood is fitting back there, right? How flat can the load floor get with seats taken out or folded down?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

While I agree that displays like that look jarring, consider how they would need to rearrange the interior to keep a display that big and not have it jut out.

Putting a hump behind it would be just as large an eyesore. Moving it down would displace other controls and take it out of the eyeline.

The real question is, does it need a display that large. However, display size is one easy thing they can put in the brochure and bigger is better.

What we really need is more HUD, better control interfaces, and custom display form factors that integrate into the lines of the interior. But that's going to be a massive change in the industry.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

bull3964 posted:

While I agree that displays like that look jarring, consider how they would need to rearrange the interior to keep a display that big and not have it jut out.

Putting a hump behind it would be just as large an eyesore. Moving it down would displace other controls and take it out of the eyeline.

The real question is, does it need a display that large. However, display size is one easy thing they can put in the brochure and bigger is better.

What we really need is more HUD, better control interfaces, and custom display form factors that integrate into the lines of the interior. But that's going to be a massive change in the industry.

That’s easier done with EVs where you don’t have to fill the dash with the HVAC system.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Here's what I don't understand - curved and non-rectangular displays are a relatively easy thing to do. I understand why Ford doesn't do this, but why haven't the luxury brands come out with a display that sits flush with the curvature of the console?

Take this Audi, for example. It would look so much better if the two screens were a single screen that followed the red lines and the center console trim followed the curve all the way up instead of having that weird hexagon thing.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

Here's what I don't understand - curved and non-rectangular displays are a relatively easy thing to do. I understand why Ford doesn't do this, but why haven't the luxury brands come out with a display that sits flush with the curvature of the console?

Take this Audi, for example. It would look so much better if the two screens were a single screen that followed the red lines and the center console trim followed the curve all the way up instead of having that weird hexagon thing.

I kind of like how that's broken up though. It keeps the HVAC controls nice and separate from the media system controls.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would like the iPad to be on the steering wheel.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It could still be broken up visually with a line or something, but it would look a lot more integrated if it was a part of the dash lines and not something stuck on.

Besides, HVAC controls should be hard because they DON'T CHANGE CONTEXT.

Even my Focus does this right.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Those things may be possible to do, but they cost more and likely have more assembly challenges. So, they aren't going to eat into margins for things like that if they don't think they need to.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

I just hold mine in front of my face while I drive

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The best thing I can say about it is at least it looks slightly less like every other 4x4 trying to copy a Land/Range Rover. The 2018 just screams cheap Chinese copy.

Can't really blame them though, RR is by far the best looking SUV in my opinion. If not for their ghastly electronics and abysmal reputation for reliability I'd look at picking up a lightly used V8.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Monkey Fracas posted:

good lord

Normal people actually like this
The integrated ones look too "old-fashioned"

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

euphronius posted:

https://www.byton.com/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CornHolio posted:

I kind of like how that's broken up though. It keeps the HVAC controls nice and separate from the media system controls.

I was in a Range Rover Velar recently and had a good old play with the touchscreen setup as it's the first of their cars to be mostly screen controlled. It's nice to have things separate, but I found you could have FOUR instances of the stereo controls spread over the 2 touch screens and dash display... Stereo controls in stereo controls in one of the touch screens screens, stereo controls on the other touch screen and then controls you can't even use on the dash.

And the system isn't really intuitive, they give you a billion loving options right there on the top display, poo poo you're never going to use meaning you have to scroll through so much poo poo to get to the bits you want to use. I dunno what it is about car interface designers but they need to learn less is more. I hope it's just the execs saying "it needs this, this and this" which is why the displays are messy bollocks.

poo poo like this in the McLaren MP4-12C, bam. perfect. The basics.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The new Ford display would be fine if they turned it sideways and made the vents vertical, but since a lot of normal folk are fappin' to the giant Tesla screen I can see what they are going for.

I really ain't a fan of these "pokey touchy" screens. :clint:

People are going to have to start buying cell phone "screen protectors" for these things soon.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
2019 dream car for nerds: brown manual diesel RWD wagon with buttons

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I still maintain that the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio has one of the best looking integrated screens I've ever seen. Also the HVAC is physical buttons.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 10, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

I still maintain that the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio has the best looking integrated screens I've ever seen. Also the HVAC is physical buttons.

I went to take a look.

Ah yeah I see what you mean it's a pretty big screen with loads of space to...

...there's no definite edge to the screen it's just a small screen behind a smooth surface? Definite park up to use it integration there.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Keyser_Soze posted:

People are going to have to start buying cell phone "screen protectors" for these things soon.

Definitely already a thing, my dad bought a used Grand Cherokee recently and had a hell of a time peeling one of those off.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

opengl128 posted:

Definitely already a thing, my dad bought a used Grand Cherokee recently and had a hell of a time peeling one of those off.

Hi I’m the finance manager and let me tell you about how you NEED a screen protector in your new car. This screen protector is $1699 but I’ll knock off $300 right if you buy it. See this piece of plastic? See the scratch? That’s an unprotected screen! And now look at this...no scratches!

You’re already protecting you seats, and your paint, and your glass, and your wheels, why not roll in an extra thousand? What is your peace of mind worth?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
$399 phone pairing service

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

This is what we need!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Keyser_Soze posted:

This is what we need!

I was next to a newer Dodge Ram the other night and the inside was bright as day from the center console screen. There's no way that person could actually see anything else that didn't have lights on it. I can't imagine the horror of that full length nav setup

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Thankfully the airbag will automatically implant the tablet into your face in the inevitable event of a crash.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

fknlo posted:

I was next to a newer Dodge Ram the other night and the inside was bright as day from the center console screen. There's no way that person could actually see anything else that didn't have lights on it. I can't imagine the horror of that full length nav setup

If it's anything like my Challenger it has a kind of 'night mode' that significantly dims all of the lights and inverts the nav colors.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

CornHolio posted:

If it's anything like my Challenger it has a kind of 'night mode' that significantly dims all of the lights and inverts the nav colors.

There's an infinite amount of dumb dumbs that drive around with their gauges on 100% brightness because they don't know what the gauge dimmer does.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Keyser_Soze posted:

This is what we need!

It sure is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newton pop-up ads!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It sure is relevant to your navigation to be able to see map data from three counties over.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

It sure is relevant to your navigation to be able to see map data from three counties over.

Checking traffic on I-95, the turnpike, and Krome while driving on the Palmetto :waycool:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

euphronius posted:

Both the Byton (which is going into production) and the Mercedes EQ silver arrows thing had screens on the boss like a 1980s Citroen concept car.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/2AOxrxm

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 10, 2019

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Those parts of all four of those are pretty much permanently red anyway.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

good lord

The lesser trims will have a less ridiculous looking display if the previous spy photos are any indication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
The vertical screen on the explorer is optional, base is a 8.x” horizontal.