Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Magissima posted:

BWM 2019: You don't have the money to play starving artist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Magissima posted:

BWM 2019: You don't have the money to play starving artist

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
What are this thread's preferred financing options to play a starving artist?

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

zocio posted:

Fabulously wealthy parents.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Asleep Style posted:

Fabulously wealthy parents.

The preferred financing option for everything.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

zocio posted:

Never accept their first offer. 30% APR is for common folk, you deserve better like 45% APR

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Usually you tell actors to break a leg, but have you ever considered applying for an ARM?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Usually you tell actors to break a leg, but have you ever considered applying for an ARM?
gently caress. We blew our title change for nothing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

zocio posted:

Probably sell drugs

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

zocio posted:

Patronage, but not patreon actual old school Medici style patronage

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

brugroffil posted:

Patronage, but not patreon actual old school Medici style patronage

Let me just say, patronage is awesome, especially when you sleep with your patron.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

I’m in highschool and money was stolen from my bank account. I need help NOW

I’m in highschool (just finished my frosh yr) and I’m supposed to go on a big trip this summer. I didnt have any way to get money and my parents didnt want me to have a lot of cash so they set me up with my first bank account and put $1000 in! It came with a atm card and some checks.

The checks were really cool, I never had anything like them before. But I was kind of sad because I didn’t have anything to use them for. I had a lot of friends over last week and I showed them the checks and they all thought they were really cool too. I got the idea that I could give my friends some souvenir checks. I TOLD them these were ONLY SOUVENIRS. We had a blast that day, I was acting like a billionaire and making jokes asking people how much money they needed and then writing them a fake check. I kept telling them it was all FAKE and they couldn’t cash the checks.

Because some of my friends are idiots I got a txt today from one guy saying he tried to cash a check and the bank wouldnt give him money. I told him what the f*** are you doing trying to cash the check after I TOLD you not to.

I went to the bank this afternoon to sort it out and I asked how much money was in the account. They said there was NOTHING in the account and that I owed THEM money for fees. I felt like I was going to faint or throw up so I got out of there as fast as I could (didn’t explain the situation to them).

I need to fix this without my parents finding out. do I talk to the police first or do I talk to the bank first about the stolen money? Im in MI.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3cd6oj/im_in_highschool_and_money_was_stolen_from_my/

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:lol:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I feel like a moron even asking this, but is there any way the friends who cashed checks would ever be found legally in the wrong?

That's such an extremely dumb move on the guy's part that I honestly have no idea how it would play out.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Power of Pecota posted:

I feel like a moron even asking this, but is there any way the friends who cashed checks would ever be found legally in the wrong?

That's such an extremely dumb move on the guy's part that I honestly have no idea how it would play out.

Nope, it's a check. It's payable to them. All their's.

Kids and checks have never mixed. Adults and checks are often bad combinations.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
I mean, theoretically I assume it's theft if they're taking money from him without his consent, but lol at trying to convince anyone that "no I wrote those cheques as a joke, and we had an agreement that they should never be cashed!"

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

That's a classic. Thinking about it through the present lens, I blame the parents for not educating their child on how banking operations work.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Chairman posted:

I haven't yet heard any podcast encouraging me to invest my retirement savings into MeUndies and Squarespace

SiriusXM has a lot of ads for "start your own franchise" like Drama Kids and Sports Clips and something about installing blinds. Those seem a lot like spending 100k to give yourself a 60 hour a week job.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Someone needed to teach him how to VOID written checks, but hopefully he learned something this way too.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Power of Pecota posted:

If they forged his signature on the check it would be a big deal. Unless this kid was so stupid to hand over blank, but signed, checks.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

If they forged his signature on the check it would be a big deal. Unless this kid was so stupid to hand over blank, but signed, checks.
It sounds like he was filling them out so I don't know why he wouldn't be stupid enough to sign them.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
Man those must have been some badass looking checks

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Raldikuk posted:

Man those must have been some badass looking checks

Obviously not, since his friends were so quick to get rid of them.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bird in a Blender posted:

The "making jokes asking people how much money they needed and then writing them a fake check" bit makes me think they were signed but not blank.

I'm having a hard time seeing how the guy would insist it was a joke while using reasonably small amounts of money. Like, if you were doing it as a bit why not write all of them for $666,420.69 or something?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

My favorite part is in his update.

"I'm only getting $300 for the trip this time instead of $1000, but I guess it makes sense that im punished somehow.

Biggest lesson learned: don’t mess around with a checkbook, or if you need to, make sure to write void on the checks."

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Checks are loving great, anyone can use the account numbers to clean out your bank account regardless of what you write on it. Amazing technology.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.brides.com/gallery/american-wedding-study

quote:

In just the past year alone, average wedding costs have definitely gone up. In 2017, a wedding typically set couples and their family members back about $27,000, but in 2018, that number increased to more than $44,000, according to the Brides 2018 American Wedding Study, which surveyed more than 800 recent brides and brides-to-be.

Bridal salons remain the number one shopping stop for brides-to-be, with an overwhelming 66 percent of those polled going the salon route for their wedding dress. Brides are also spending considerably more on the dress—from $1,562 in 2017 to $2,260 in 2018.

Grooms are also choosing to balk with tradition, with 53 percent choosing to wear a suit to the wedding rather than a tuxedo. Perhaps because 57 percent of grooms are choosing to buy their formal-wear instead of renting them, groom attire spending is also up: $602 average in 2018 versus $328 in 2017.

From another link on that site:

quote:

Brides' study, which surveyed almost 850 brides-to-be or newly married women, found the average amount spent on engagement rings in 2018 was $7,829, compared to $5,023 spent in 2017.

Not sure how self-selecting and/or scientific a study it was, but man, wtf.

Nobody post about your own dumb wedding, please.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
My BWM parents finally paid off their house. They were really excited to no longer have a mortgage payment and were going to finish paying off other bills

Instead, my stepdad bought a giant new Silverado with an 8 year loan. (An 8 year loan is better because the payments are smaller that way, you see. No amount of arguing or math can change this fact.) My mom was ok with it because he NEEDED a new truck because his old one had bad gas milage.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Lysandus posted:

My BWM parents finally paid off their house. They were really excited to no longer have a mortgage payment and were going to finish paying off other bills

Instead, my stepdad bought a giant new Silverado with an 8 year loan. (An 8 year loan is better because the payments are smaller that way, you see. No amount of arguing or math can change this fact.) My mom was ok with it because he NEEDED a new truck because his old one had bad gas milage.
Everybody knows 8 years of bad gas mileage is more expensive than paying for an entirely new vehicle, you IDIOT

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BMan posted:

Checks are loving great, anyone can use the account numbers to clean out your bank account regardless of what you write on it. Amazing technology.

I've got a couple of curmudgeonly friends that refuse to use electronic payments of any kind (bank-to-bank, venmo, etc.), and will only deal with checks "for security reasons".

They don't understand/care that checks are hilariously insecure and reveal way more information than an electronic payment.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Krispy Wafer posted:

I just want you all to know that this is my favorite thread in the entire forums

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Lysandus posted:

Was there a down payment involved? Trying to figure out if he'll be upside down for all 8 years of that loan, or maybe just 7 of it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Somebody compare that average engagement ring cost to the average household income, and see if the De Beers marketing play is still holding up

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

This is funny but also smells like bullshit. Lots of red flags.

Not that I don't believe for even a second there aren't teens this naive, it's the clear and straightforward outline that raises the clickbait-wannabe flags.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Lysandus posted:

he NEEDED a new truck because his old one had bad gas milage.

Glad they sorted that one out.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Inept posted:

5.9 gals/100 miles is a weird way to say 17mpg.

This made me realize that my car turned 15yo this year. Can't wait to inevitably deal with some of my very own BWM poo poo.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Inept posted:

In fairness, the several-year-old fully-loaded truck he had before was probably only getting 13 MPG. 30% improvement!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

CmdrRiker posted:

5.9 gals/100 miles is a weird way to say 17mpg.

This made me realize that my car turned 15yo this year. Can't wait to inevitably deal with some of my very own BWM poo poo.

Outside of the United States fuel consumption figures are almost universally stated as volume/distance (of course in metric L/100km) because it is more intuitive to use linear measures than inverse measures.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Outside of the United States fuel consumption figures are almost universally stated as volume/distance (of course in metric L/100km) because it is more intuitive to use linear measures than inverse measures.

Yet again the rest of the world has units of measure figured out and we don't.

It's really dumb and deceiving that not all "1 MPG"s are equal. The 1mpg from 15 to 16 is way bigger than 35 to 36.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Guinness posted:

Yet again the rest of the world has units of measure figured out and we don't.

It's really dumb and deceiving that not all "1 MPG"s are equal. The 1mpg from 15 to 16 is way bigger than 35 to 36.

And intentional. This is an area lobbyists have had locked up for decades now. Gotta be in the best marketing position possible when the price of oil goes back up.