Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Wyvernil posted:

Okay, just got into Act 2, and recruited the eighth character. Any build advice for them?

I'm thinking Axes are a good route for them, since I've already got the hero using Greatswords and it would allow the new character to use a shield (which seems to be a big part of their moveset). Any standout moves I should be going for?

Parallax has a massive damage modifier, making it the go-to single target damage dealer.

Helm Splitter does damage and debuffs in one fell swoop. There’s an upgrade later, can’t remember what it’s called.

Axes of Evil is a great group attack.

Essentially axes are filled to the brim with power and utility. This is true in any Dragon Quest with weapon skills. Just go nuts.

Btw for anyone who’s done it, how’s Hard Monsters? I just started a second playthrough and I’m hoping it’ll encourage more clever skill use and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Helm Splitter/Scrap Mettle are excellent for bosses until you get a caster with Sap again. Hatchet Man is your best bet for killing metals, and Axes of Evil is very strong AoE damage.

IMO, if you went Greatswords on Hero, you can leave Axes of Evil for later, since Heliochoptor is good enough AoE and Eight has an actually low MP pool. Likewise, if you don't plan on grinding, you can leave Hatchet Man for a bit. The shield tree has some excellent passive bonuses to pick up too.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I went with Sword and Shield and Gyrfalcon Slash (under the locked panel at the top of Swords).

I made Eight as tanky as possible, with Shield and personal skills.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

ROFL Octopus posted:

Btw for anyone who’s done it, how’s Hard Monsters? I just started a second playthrough and I’m hoping it’ll encourage more clever skill use and whatnot.

If you have experience with NES Dragon Quests, it'll feel closer to that difficulty. Regular enemies will typically need more than just autoattack, you'll need to pay attention to which enemies you engage and when, and bosses will require using the systems at your disposal instead of just going all in on DPS. Buffs and Debuffs play a much larger role. For most boss battles, using Erik feels less like cheating and more something you need to carefully build up to in a fight.

I feel like it's a better experience overall since you're more likely to be engaging in the game systems that were set up by the devs.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Can confirm axe+shield owns. Hard.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Some Numbers posted:

I went with Sword and Shield and Gyrfalcon Slash (under the locked panel at the top of Swords).

I made Eight as tanky as possible, with Shield and personal skills.

You can use all of the locked top panel attacks with axes as well.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Elephant Ambush posted:

Can confirm axe+shield owns. Hard.

Yeah this was my endgame eight build

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I have Eight using Axe + Shield, as well. I'm in Act 3, with the full party back together, and I still use Scrap Mettle. Sap doesn't always stick the first time you use it, so having multiple Sap spammers, one of whom can also deal damage, is a boon. Also, my primary Sap user has other (de)buffs to spread around, so the ability to spread them around is also pretty good. I preferred Persona 4 's approach of giving most of the characters one buff/debuff over Persona 3 sticking them all on one guy.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Cut Above is cool too because each hit has a separate chance of critting.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ROFL Octopus posted:

I'm doing a second playthrough with all the other draconian's challenges except hardermonsters and it's a face roll compared to just harder monsters. Hard monsters seems to be how the game is "meant" to be played.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Your Parents posted:

You can use all of the locked top panel attacks with axes as well.

Gyrfalcon Slash is Swords only.

It also appeared, to me, to have a much higher damage multiplier than Cut Above.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Gyrfalcon is the only sword ability worth a poo poo but the sheer versatility of axes still makes it not worth it. Defense stripping, one of the best AoE moves in the game, and Parallax for raw single target is hard to beat.

A Cut Above is nice for metal hunting I guess but its damage is trash.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The final unique sword for Eight has a passive that makes it competitive with axes (and is only a little atk less), but that's the only time swords really compare against axes for Eight.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Counterpoint: oversized two-handed swords look sweet and oversized one-handed axes look stupid

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I get this naming convention but it always makes me think of the mc from dqVIII

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Flavius Aetass posted:

Counterpoint: oversized two-handed swords look sweet and oversized one-handed axes look stupid

Counter-counterpoint: Shields are awesome.

MMF Freeway posted:

I had the same reaction when I was first reading about the game.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
should be able to dual wield shields. :colbert:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Light Gun Man posted:

This is actually the primary strategy for multiple characters in Phantasy Star IV, so I'm all-in

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Light Gun Man posted:

Pitch this to the mod community. Using them like fists to punch enemies would be hilarious.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I gave the Hero greatswords and Eight Dual wielded axes when I had two that were worth it.

MMF Freeway posted:

I could never take him out of my party if that were the case. Having one guy Psyching up all the time would be too good to replace.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Light Gun Man posted:

there's a class in ToME that requires and fights with dual-shields and more games should emulate that imo

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Light Gun Man posted:

This was fun to do in Final Fantasy Tactics: Advanced 2. Speaking of, that is a really fun game imo.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Just unlocked the full Luminary skill tree. I've got the Greatsword tree nearly maxed out; is there anything worth getting on the bottom half of the skill tree?

I'd imagine the healing spells might be useful in a pinch, along with the skill that automatically activates Pep mode (for getting rare items with pep powers or calling metal slimes).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

There's the skill that auto Peps along with Omniheal (as is normal for a DQ Hero) under the hidden panels.

I think Zap and Kazap are in there too?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
You need to kill one of the post game bosses with a zap spell, so it might be worthwhile to pick up one better than just regular zap.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So DQ4 was a fun little game. Likeable characters, funny accents, and a bit of pathos added to the final boss. Felt like they were starting to take strides to play with the rpg formula, what with the transforming bosses and Estark being such an easy boss the first time you fight him.

The dungeon they added for the new release is super trippy. Go into a house, it's a giant house, go downstairs, see another giant house! Oh here's a church that's filled with poison, but the priest seems totally unperturbed. Nothing made sense and it was a bizarre journey into a wonderland concluding with some bizarre chicken characters named after Chinese food. DQ6 might have a flying bed but I'm betting nothing in it is a weird as that dungeon.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Some Numbers posted:

There's the skill that auto Peps along with Omniheal (as is normal for a DQ Hero) under the hidden panels.

I think Zap and Kazap are in there too?

Yeah these are the important ones but almost everything in that tree is great.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ccs posted:

So DQ4 was a fun little game. Likeable characters, funny accents, and a bit of pathos added to the final boss. Felt like they were starting to take strides to play with the rpg formula, what with the transforming bosses and Estark being such an easy boss the first time you fight him.

The dungeon they added for the new release is super trippy. Go into a house, it's a giant house, go downstairs, see another giant house! Oh here's a church that's filled with poison, but the priest seems totally unperturbed. Nothing made sense and it was a bizarre journey into a wonderland concluding with some bizarre chicken characters named after Chinese food. DQ6 might have a flying bed but I'm betting nothing in it is a weird as that dungeon.

Honestly, people say dq7 is the most boring one but I think from what I played of it 6 wins that competition.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Honestly, people say dq7 is the most boring one but I think from what I played of it 6 wins that competition.

Same, I got burned out on DQ7 at the halfway point but had fun most of the way, whereas I quit DQ6 early on because good lord was it uninteresting

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Light Gun Man posted:

Swords are unnecessary; all a protagonist needs is a good smashing board.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

I'm playing 6 now and the first 10 hours tell a very complete and fun little story with a good hook. But then it looses the plot, and from the sound of it things are pretty unsettled in terms of where you go and what you do until the last 10 hours after you fight Duran and finally get a sense of what you're supposed to be doing.

In between those two bookends is about 20 hours of unstructured exploring and mini-stories and a whole lot of vague hints. Which was probably revolutionary for its time but I'm finding it a let down after how tight 4 and 5 were.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

7 is almost a straight extension of 6 in a lot of ways but it does NOT have that whole mid game "wait what the gently caress am I even supposed to be doing now? who is the bad guy? i've fought so many now"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I liked the part in the middle of 6 where you go on a journey to find yourself, but the lack of urgency or direction is certainly not to all tastes. To me, the part that kills 6 and 7 is that it doesn't give you a reason to inhabit an advanced vocation after mastering it, so in order to continue advancing you keep taking away your powerful new toys just as soon as you get them.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
7 is bad because if you stop playing it for any amount of time, you are hosed. “Oh what island was I working on, what piece was I looking for, where am I? Guess I’m starting over!”

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

LorneReams posted:

7 is bad because if you stop playing it for any amount of time, you are hosed. “Oh what island was I working on, what piece was I looking for, where am I? Guess I’m starting over!”
The 3DS remake is better about that than the PSX original at least, because you have the shard locator and a plot recap in the menu, iirc.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
7 is the Everest of RPGs. Don't go without a guide and planning. It's a major commitment you can't half-rear end.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Commander Keene posted:

The 3DS remake is better about that than the PSX original at least, because you have the shard locator and a plot recap in the menu, iirc.

I'll have to look into that, maybe when/if it comes to the switch. I bought that game for the PSX when I was basically just playing one jRPG after another (Thousand Arms, Arc the Lad, Lunar remakes, etc.)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If DQ 11 doesn’t come out on the switch in the West I’m gonna buy dq7 next year. I need a bit of a break from this series before catapulting into the longest one.

6 is much less balanced than 4 and 8. Both of those gave you a place to train easily against metal kings so you could face the super secret final boss a few hours after beating the main game. But 6 has no convenient leveling location so your stuck grinding for tons of hours if you want to beat Nokturnus. The main game can be finished in 40 hours but if you want the secret ending it’s another 40 of grinding to master classes and build stats. I don’t have time for that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Commander Keene posted:

I understand the remake also makes it so you have a real reason to stay in a class beyond the base stat bonuses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Shugojin posted:

I understand the remake also makes it so you have a real reason to stay in a class beyond the base stat bonuses?

Sort of. Intermediate and Advanced vocations now don’t teach you anything permanently but Monster vocations still do.