Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

My bitter angry coworker who got got out a year ago said GCCS sucks and avoid it. He had 3 other C schools and actively avoided it.

Says it’s a Big Deck trap but that may not be such a bad thing if he likes the life.

If that's the GCCS NEC, GCCS is on every surface combatant as far as I know, so DDGs/CGs/CGNs/LCS, and probably amphibs. Granted the small boys will probably have one GCCS billet. Additionally there are always job postings for GCCS techs.

As someone who never dealt with GCCS until my civilian job, it seems to be a super easy system to work on, and you'll get HPUX experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah I’m just repeating what he’s saying but he pretty much hates everything

PneumonicBook posted:

If that's the GCCS NEC, GCCS is on every surface combatant as far as I know, so DDGs/CGs/CGNs/LCS, and probably amphibs. Granted the small boys will probably have one GCCS billet. Additionally there are always job postings for GCCS techs.

As someone who never dealt with GCCS until my civilian job, it seems to be a super easy system to work on, and you'll get HPUX experience.

I found the handy dandy conversion chart before I asked him.

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/nec/Documents/NEC_Code_Crosswalk_Table_for_FY18_Q1_and_Q2_Batches.xlsx

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

If it's gccs you can have ashore billets at commands that have gccs installed to coordinate with deployed units, but 99.9% will be afloat on ships. It's basically fancy maps and sensor stuff that breaks in hilarious ways.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

stuff that breaks in hilarious ways.

This is my experience with literally all FC/ET/IT gear. It was worse on older gear where an entire card would be completely fine component wise, so you'd go to the backplane and everything there was fine, so you say gently caress it and swap out the suspected card with a known good, and not only does the swapped card work in the new system, the old broke card works when you put it in the other console/cabinet. PFM is an acronym for a reason.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

You could do a lot worse than GCCS tech, def gonna get a lot of command visibility which is good if you're a go-getter rather than a slacker.

If you're a hater or a miserable person it doesn't matter what your NEC is.

And like the other poster said, I think GCCS is on almost every surface combatant. If you're a GCCS tech on a small boy you'll be doing non-GCCS stuff ~95% of the time anyways.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Kind of burying the lede there News4JAX

https://twitter.com/the_sailor_dog/status/1083098710177914883

quote:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A former commander of the U.S. Navy base at Guantanamo Bay now stationed at NAS Jacksonville has been charged with obstructing justice and other offenses related to the 2015 death of a civilian who worked at the Cuban base.

Navy Capt. John Nettleton also has been charged with concealing material facts related to Christopher Tur's death. Tur, 42, was found dead in the waters off the base on January 10, a day after he had been reported missing by his wife Lara, also a civilian employee at the base.

A federal indictment said Nettleton, 53, hid the fact that he was having an affair with Lara Tur and that the men had a fight the night of Tur's disappearance. Nettleton was relieved of his command at the Cuban base after Tur’s body was found.

Tur, 42, was found dead in the waters off the base on January 10, a day after he had been reported missing by his wife Lara, also a civilian employee at the base.

Nettleton commanded the Navy base but not the detention center where accused terrorists are held.

Since Nettleton was relieved of his duties by Rear Admiral Mary Jackson, who cited “loss of confidence in command,” he has been on administrative duty at NAS Jacksonville. When the indictment was unsealed Wednesday, Nettleton turned himself in to the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, which transported him to federal court.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just got contacted about going back out the USNO for 60 days plus additional time to be determined. Ain’t gonna be a gravy train this time because I won’t be able to find as cheap a place to rent unless I get lucky with a AirBnB or another goon.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I guess it's cool that they can do this but it sounds like a poo poo job to do it.

Mark VI patrol boats make 500 mi trip

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Madurai posted:

I guess it's cool that they can do this but it sounds like a poo poo job to do it.

that's a cool loving boat

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Wow, thanks for clearing up who's scared of whom there

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Is giving PO1s no leadership training and not providing direct feedback on anything other than "results" a blue water Navy thing too?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Is giving PO1s no leadership training and not providing direct feedback on anything other than "results" a blue water Navy thing too?

Congrats on making PO1!

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

DownByTheWooter posted:

Amazing the boat actually managed to make the trip without breaking. Utter pieces of crap

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Thronde posted:

Amazing the boat actually managed to make the trip without breaking. Utter pieces of crap

oh drat all right I thought we had some cool speedboats with machineguns out there my b

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

Haha welcome to being a first class and also this is the reason i got the gently caress out.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I WAS NOT ADVANCED THANK GOD. Just curious if it was the same fleet side because seeing some ridiculous poo poo. Like, move than before

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I mean everyone should be getting po1 indoc at least, not that it's very useful. Most should already have spent long enough as a second to know what to do.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

CMD598 posted:

I mean everyone should be getting po1 indoc at least, not that it's very useful. Most should already have spent long enough as a second to know what to do.

Uh... Dont rape? Look out for your Chiefs.... Hrm.... I think there was a third one... gently caress

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Madurai posted:

DownByTheWooter posted:

I forget, are these what we're replacing the Cyclones with or is that going to be its own thing, or was that supposed to be the LCSs? I may be aviation, but I've always liked learning about the small ships in our inventory.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

CMD598 posted:

Exposure to senior NCOs is the opposite of leadership training in most cases though

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JournoGeoffZ/status/1084630551611375617

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

:catstare:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Better link instead of a dumb double clickthrough twitter bullshit

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your...nt-you-to-read/

TVS was the CIC a bad as that article describes? Cuz god damned I thought my boat sucked, but we followed proper procedures 100% of the time.

ded fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 14, 2019

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Jesus loving Christ.

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013
Wow.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

It boggles my mind how so much can be spent on a ship then skimped on vital training

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean granted it was shortly after tragedy and there was a lot of other poo poo going on, but a sub 60% RoR test average is abysmal. Nav would give us random tests all the time on lastship. If you scored below 90% you had to go chat with nav and potentially the skipper about it. SWOS required 95% iirc.

The fact that other FDNF wardrooms scored in the same ballpark is really shocking.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

ded posted:

Better link instead of a dumb double clickthrough twitter bullshit

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your...nt-you-to-read/

TVS was the CIC a bad as that article describes? Cuz god damned I thought my boat sucked, but we followed proper procedures 100% of the time.

Holy poo poo

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It’s not really that bad across the fleet right guys?

Right?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Right?

Most CICs are not littered with piss bottles and kettle bells.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PneumonicBook posted:

Most CICs are not littered with piss bottles and kettle bells.

I'm just imagining flying kettle bells and piss jugs in bad weather.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Most.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

shovelbum posted:

I'm just imagining flying kettle bells and piss jugs in bad weather.

At least they're closed. Now dip bottles...

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

LingcodKilla posted:

Right?

The nuke plants on carriers and subs are littered with piss bottles. Usually people threw out their poo poo baggies though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
We pissed in bilge funnels like proper adults :colbert:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

M_Gargantua posted:

We pissed in bilge funnels like proper adults :colbert:

Watching coners touch funnels on engine room field days was always good for a little chuckle as I headed to take a nap with the Army Men

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I mean. The piss bottles and trash might have been from hours of damage control work. If you're stuck at your position and the bathrooms are down because your ship is sinking you still gotta piss and eat.

That line was from when Fort got on the ship hours after the incident.

And kettlebells/assorted stuff like dip bars kinda seem normal in most workspaces I've been in.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Laranzu posted:

I mean. The piss bottles and trash might have been from hours of damage control work. If you're stuck at your position and the bathrooms are down because your ship is sinking you still gotta piss and eat.

That line was from when Fort got on the ship hours after the incident.

And kettlebells/assorted stuff like dip bars kinda seem normal in most workspaces I've been in.

I wouldn't classify CIC as a workspace. Like it's not a shop like a CSER space or CSMC. The only.place the OS' could even put anything (on a cruiser) was the small closet that let us access the projectors for the large screens. If dudes are putting kettle bells behind consoles and poo poo that's hosed up and a good way to damage cables/pipes.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

I wouldn't classify CIC as a workspace. Like it's not a shop like a CSER space or CSMC. The only.place the OS' could even put anything (on a cruiser) was the small closet that let us access the projectors for the large screens. If dudes are putting kettle bells behind consoles and poo poo that's hosed up and a good way to damage cables/pipes.

Only CICs I've been in are on an LHD and CVN. Those were big enough to toss some kettlebells in a corner for a slow watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
SSN youstafish never had poo poo like that in control. If you needed a bathroom break bad enough you got someone to fill in for a few minutes.