Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I enjoyed Captain Marvel, it was fun and worked pretty well as a starting point. Great to see Hazmat again; I miss the Avengers Academy kids.

I also liked Man Without Fear; the art was not my favorite but I like where the plot is going; I felt bad for Kristen, though it was nice to see her again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

site posted:

It's not lost on me that they're saddling spider Gwen with the emotional weight of dealing with the aftermathof spidergeddon...
It kind of makes in-universe (multiverse?) sense I think, at least in so far she was the closest to the people who died, and the message from the last pages was that she’s dealing with it healthily and it’s not going to be a dark emotional focus going forward or anything.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

site posted:

It's not lost on me that they're saddling spider Gwen with the emotional weight of dealing with the aftermath of spidergeddon...

That wasn't editorial saying "oh, there are consequences; give them to the girl on the girl book," if that's what you're getting at; Seanan McGuire wanted that story. She's a friend of mine, which is why I can tell you that she's been wanting to write this kind of a comic book issue for... poo poo, more than a decade now. I think when we first were talking about it it was in the context of some of the Academy X kids. Her delight at finally being able to go "look, consequences!" in a comic has been actually delightful to watch, even as writing the issue and getting the art for it was leaving her wrung out because she got her own recently-deceased cat Alice into the Felicia Hardy scene (this isn't telling tales out of school, she just did a big whole long twitter thread about this).

Seanan's a big believer in consequences; look at the vast majority of her novels and you'll see that "oh crap this thing happened but now I have to deal with the aftermath and it sorta sucks" is a pretty common theme (look into the Wayward Children books, btw, I suspect you, site, would enjoy them in particular), 'cause it's sort of her jam.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

That wasn't editorial saying "oh, there are consequences; give them to the girl on the girl book," if that's what you're getting at; Seanan McGuire wanted that story. She's a friend of mine, which is why I can tell you that she's been wanting to write this kind of a comic book issue for... poo poo, more than a decade now. I think when we first were talking about it it was in the context of some of the Academy X kids. Her delight at finally being able to go "look, consequences!" in a comic has been actually delightful to watch, even as writing the issue and getting the art for it was leaving her wrung out because she got her own recently-deceased cat Alice into the Felicia Hardy scene (this isn't telling tales out of school, she just did a big whole long twitter thread about this).

Seanan's a big believer in consequences; look at the vast majority of her novels and you'll see that "oh crap this thing happened but now I have to deal with the aftermath and it sorta sucks" is a pretty common theme (look into the Wayward Children books, btw, I suspect you, site, would enjoy them in particular), 'cause it's sort of her jam.

Okay well now i feel better about it then. I was like ughh when i saw the pete and miles books didnt even notice that it happened but wait lets have the girl be the one who's damaged

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

site posted:

Okay well now i feel better about it then. I was like ughh when i saw the pete and miles books didnt even notice that it happened but wait lets have the girl be the one who's damaged

I figured, which is why I wanted to say something (and checked with Seanan about it because I don't want to tell tales out of school). Yeah, she fought for that issue.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The civilian clothing in Miles Morales Spider-man is awful.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Plus, Gwen was teammates with Billy and Noir in Web Warriors, so she had more of a connection to them than Miles or Pete did.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Thanks for reminding me to subscribe to Spider-Gwen.

I've gone from not buying any Spider-Books to subscribing to nearly all of them. How did this happen?

(OK it was probably Into The Spider-Verse and Slott being off Amazing).

howe_sam posted:

Plus, Gwen was teammates with Billy and Noir in Web Warriors, so she had more of a connection to them than Miles or Pete did.

Man, I feel like I was inclined to dislike that book due its associations with Spider-Verse, but dang it was a letdown.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

I figured, which is why I wanted to say something (and checked with Seanan about it because I don't want to tell tales out of school). Yeah, she fought for that issue.
I doubt she'll be particularly moved to know that a random goon on the internet really likes her run so far, but I've got no social media accounts to tell her myself, so feel to pass it on if you think it's appropriate :).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Apraxin posted:

I doubt she'll be particularly moved to know that a random goon on the internet really likes her run so far, but I've got no social media accounts to tell her myself, so feel to pass it on if you think it's appropriate :).

She does in fact appreciate the compliments from a random goon, and says you're the best. ;)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Spider books seem to be in a pretty good place right now. Venom has been a very pleasant surprise.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

She does in fact appreciate the compliments from a random goon, and says you're the best. ;)

Tell her every issue needs have Gwen's suit morphing into period-specific costumes. Spider-Gwen Noir was amazing.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Do people still like Ed McGuinness’ art? Because I want to enjoy Aaron’s Avengers run but the biggest obstacle to that so far has been his artwork. It just looks so incredibly dated. Getting through his pages feel like a slog. It’s not bad art by any means but when I saw we were transitioning back to him from Marquez my enthusiasm for picking the book up just bled out of me.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. I wish it looked as interesting as his Thor comics.

I haven't found it very compelling yet, and I wonder if that'd be completely different with somebody like Dauterman on board.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 11, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1083775885935816706

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ariel Olivetti might be the worst artist to continue getting high profile work.

Like seriously, how in the gently caress?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've always wondered if he's super fast or friendly, which understandably can carry you far in the business.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

I've always wondered if he's super fast or friendly, which understandably can carry you far in the business.

It certainly explains Greg Land.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

It certainly explains Greg Land.

I think lots of people actually like Greg Land because lots of people seem to value photorealism in comic book artwork.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rhyno posted:

Ariel Olivetti might be the worst artist to continue getting high profile work.

Like seriously, how in the gently caress?

I'll admit that his backgrounds (if you can even call them that) are whack but his character work is phenomenal

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's ugly a s hell. It's a tossup between him and DOug Braithwaite for me. Both are the worst.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I quite like both of those artists. I have the same reaction when I see art by other artists people consider good though like Gary Frank or Bryan Hitch.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

radlum posted:

I enjoyed Captain Marvel, it was fun and worked pretty well as a starting point. Great to see Hazmat again; I miss the Avengers Academy kids.

I also liked Man Without Fear; the art was not my favorite but I like where the plot is going; I felt bad for Kristen, though it was nice to see her again.

I'm glad you (and others upthread) are enjoying MWOF, it was a fun book to write while being awful divisive in reviews.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Introducing the next old man -- comic

https://twitter.com/amadcartoonist/status/1083870859679301632?s=19

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Would buy 10 copies of each.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I don't read modern X-men yet, can someone explain to me Goldballs and his appeal? I think Bendis created him and may have been the villian in Worst X-men ever

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I don't read modern X-men yet, can someone explain to me Goldballs and his appeal? I think Bendis created him and may have been the villian in Worst X-men ever

He's a dork with a silly power who's allowed to be a dork with a silly power. He literally can just materialize and throw balls at people.

Normally he's the sort of character who'd get merced in three pages, but somehow he managed to survive the entirety of the Bendis run and didn't have anything crazy happen in the process.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Bendis created him for Uncanny. In the Battle of the Atom event it was revealed that he becomes one of the most famous X-Men ever in that future (I think), but none of the futures ever shown in X-Men ever become the present so who cares? Then he was Miles and Ganke's roommate in Miles' post Secret War series where Miles is in the 616. I'm way behind on Marvel in general so I don't know what's happened since.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Russell Dauterman posted upcoming art of Jane Foster from, I guess, War of the Relams, which gives a hint at the state of her cancer/treatment in the coming months.
https://twitter.com/rdauterman/status/1084128239960772608
I dunno much about chemo, but that's at least over.

edit: Can't make that a link while it's in spoiler tags.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 12, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol

https://twitter.com/xtop/status/1084259162157023232?s=19

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I maintain he's just a bad joke character that Bendis made because it's funny that a character with a kind of lame power would be one of the most famous X-Men in the future, and also heh balls.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is the new Captain Marvel book out next week?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No.

It was out last week.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

No.

It was out last week.

Dammit, my LCS had its orders messed up by Diamond and they thought they got everyones stuff. Guess I'll have to get them to order me one next time I can get there.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I stopped reading X-Men around the time they started killing all their fun young New Mutants/Academy X/New X-Men characters. Occasionally I've read summaries but I'm so confused about most decisions they made with the books. I understand it's because Marvel didn't really want to give Fox more movie characters but it seems like it made for a lot of stories that I have no interest in reading. The X-Men (and related books) were so much fun for a lot of the first decade this century. I wish they did more random things with mutants like X-Statix again. The only thing that caused me to make effort to read X-Men this decade is about the time displaced original X-Men storyline. The best part of those stories was when they interacted with Superior Spider-Man and he was a huge rear end.

Goldballs sounds hilarious. What other hilarious mutants have been made this decade?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Goldballs sounds hilarious. What other hilarious mutants have been made this decade?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I would not classify any of the characters who were killed or written out when Kyle and Yost took over New X-Men as "fun"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is glob this decade

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

Is glob this decade

2001, amazingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Glob's from New X-Men, but his original character is like, "Beavis from Beavis and Butthead but he's a goo man". He only got fleshed out (rimshot) after Morrison's run ended.