Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DariusLikewise posted:

This isn't even how airplanes work, you're still not supposed to be holding anything during takeoff or landing

I don't know who told you that but that is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

DariusLikewise posted:

This isn't even how airplanes work, you're still not supposed to be holding anything during takeoff or landing

I have never in my life been asked to put anything other than electronics away during takeoffs or landing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DariusLikewise posted:

What's going to happen? G-forces turning your book into a deadly projectile?

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc

Brawnfire posted:

What's going to happen? G-forces turning your book into a deadly projectile?
I can't turn on the news without some story about how some idiot has a James Patterson novel-sized hole in their chest from foolishly holding a book during takeoff or landing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Still not 100% sure what electronics are supposed to do to planes specifically during takeoff and landing in the first place (hint: it's nothing) (nothing is what they do)

This really got through to me when I first started taking a Kindle on a plane because there is basically no distinction whatsoever between a Kindle in airplane mode that you are actively reading from and a Kindle in airplane mode that is "off", and yet

Harvey Birdman
Oct 21, 2012

I believe nowadays a lot of the concern on planes during takeoff/landing is just large items like laptops being out and flying around the cabin if it gets bumpy.

They don't tend to care about anything light and easy to hold now. Despite early concerns about signals, we have learned that electronics on planes are fine.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

HobbitGrease posted:

A good measure of political cartoonist hackiness is if their obituary cartoons require explanation.

A school mascot crying is very hacky, but clear what it's about assuming you know who the person is. Just no one, other than Virginia College football fans, likely gives a poo poo.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Harvey Birdman posted:

I believe nowadays a lot of the concern on planes during takeoff/landing is just large items like laptops being out and flying around the cabin if it gets bumpy.

They don't tend to care about anything light and easy to hold now. Despite early concerns about signals, we have learned that electronics on planes are fine.

Speaking of insane techophobia laws written by olds. Are there still states in the US where you're not allowed to use a cellphone while refilling your car because cellphone signals might ignite the fume?

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

loquacius posted:

Still not 100% sure what electronics are supposed to do to planes specifically during takeoff and landing in the first place (hint: it's nothing) (nothing is what they do)

This really got through to me when I first started taking a Kindle on a plane because there is basically no distinction whatsoever between a Kindle in airplane mode that you are actively reading from and a Kindle in airplane mode that is "off", and yet

It doesn't happen often these days but aborting a takeoff midway though the run is a rather abrupt and sudden procedure that subjects passengers to a lot deccelaration very quickly and anything not secured will fly around the cabin and potentially injure someone.

Landing is similar in that the bump upon touchdown can send objects flying around. Landings are gentler these days with all the tech doing a lot of the work of the pilot but landing in high wind conditions is still quite bumpy and unpleasant. Also pilots have been known to overshoot the touchdown spot on the runway and run out of runway before they can fully decelerate such as the case of Air France Flight 358 which was a mix of bad weather and poor pilot decisions that thankfully ended with no fatalities.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

:cursed:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Zeond posted:

It doesn't happen often these days but aborting a takeoff midway though the run is a rather abrupt and sudden procedure that subjects passengers to a lot deccelaration very quickly and anything not secured will fly around the cabin and potentially injure someone.

Landing is similar in that the bump upon touchdown can send objects flying around. Landings are gentler these days with all the tech doing a lot of the work of the pilot but landing in high wind conditions is still quite bumpy and unpleasant. Also pilots have been known to overshoot the touchdown spot on the runway and run out of runway before they can fully decelerate such as the case of Air France Flight 358 which was a mix of bad weather and poor pilot decisions that thankfully ended with no fatalities.

If I'm gonna get smacked in the head by either that millenial's iPad or that wise smug boomer's ponderous tome, I know which one I'm gonna pick

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

loquacius posted:

Early portable electronics were noisy when it came to RF and they would interfere with radio navigation and positioning. Modern stuff doesn't do that as it kills battery life. I guess the regulations will stick around until the FAA is 100% sure that every CRT on the planet is destroyed.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Theresa May’s Commons defeat over Brexit plan B – The amendment was passed by 308 votes to 297 following stormy scenes in which a series of Conservative MPs castigated the Speaker, John Bercow, for allowing the amendment"

Telegraph:

"John Bercow's decision endangers the office of Speaker, and our democracy"; Bafta nominations 2019: fascinating Favourite continues its journey in the awards season sun

Matt:

Amazon boss Jeff Bezos and wife MacKenzie to divorce

Independent:

Climate change: 'Right to repair' gathers force

Times:

"This was the great political power struggle of our times – and ministers lost"; Bafta nominations 2019: fascinating Favourite continues its journey in the awards season sun

Evening Standard:

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... Prisons with no bars

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Both parties were having 2008 presidential debates as early as May 2007.

Lareine posted:

I've got a question that's been bugging me for awhile. Do Delonas' comics COME with such bad artifacting or is this coming from somewhere else that saves their images like poo poo?

I'd been getting them straight from Delonas' site, but it looks like they're in better shape on Cagle's for whatever reason, so I'll just start getting them from there.

Looks like this is based on a segment from Limbaugh's show that he played over and over, where the following statements are presented as clear evidence that they were advocating for a "wall":

SCHUMER 2009: Illegal immigration is wrong, plain and simple.

HILLARY 2015: I voted numerous times when I was a senator to spend money to build a barrier to try to prevent illegal immigrants from coming in.

OBAMA 2005: We simply cannot allow people to pour into the United States undetected, undocumented, unchecked.

Then again, getting 1 out of 3 is pretty drat good for Branco.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This new Mac guy is pretty bad.

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 10, 2019

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sandpuppy posted:

Looks like this is based on a segment from Limbaugh's show that he played over and over, where the following statements are presented as clear evidence that they were advocating for a "wall":

SCHUMER 2009: Illegal immigration is wrong, plain and simple.

HILLARY 2015: I voted numerous times when I was a senator to spend money to build a barrier to try to prevent illegal immigrants from coming in.

OBAMA 2005: We simply cannot allow people to pour into the United States undetected, undocumented, unchecked.

Then again, getting 1 out of 3 is pretty drat good for Branco.

All of these are pretty lovely takes on immigration policy, AGC

quote:

Saying "I'm not a Nazi" doesn't in and of itself make you not a Nazi, AGC

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Weak, what a lame loving version of this lame loving argument.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

gently caress off, Paul...Thomas...

Dammit, it's not even as satisfying to tell him to gently caress himself.

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

The most powerful voice in gaming

Lychnis posted:

Does Marlette get published in actual newpapers? If so, I'm rather impressed that he managed to get away with Dr. C.A. Nuss.

But you forget about the planet U R Anus. So clearly it's ok.

Katt posted:

Speaking of insane techophobia laws written by olds. Are there still states in the US where you're not allowed to use a cellphone while refilling your car because cellphone signals might ignite the fume?

TBF, it was never the signals, it was more the worry that a spark from the battery might ignite fumes. Granted, this was a small chance to begin with, but it was more likely back in the days of phones with easily removable batteries...something we dont really see these days

AngrySpork fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 10, 2019

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

I can honestly say I would never have guessed this as a reference that would show up in a political cartoon.

Go on. Keep telling yourself that, nazi.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 10, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's like he heard the "First they came for" bit many years ago and tried to dumb down what he remembered so Nazis could understand it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

£650,000 a year for this shite.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Where'd you find the first draft of this comic?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Gaybie nomination: Best Edit

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I should watch Inglourious Basterds again

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Was there ever an actual event where a bunch of antifa people got together, carrying baseball bats, dressed in dark hoodies with red hankerchiefs covering their faces? That's been the go-to antifa visual for cartoonists like Nazi Klurf and Branco for years now, but just about every "antifa protester" I've seen has just been an normal-looking person, maybe carrying a sign, without any face coverings.

Am I just missing the Dangerous Anarchist Thugs in the crowds, or is this a "New Black Panthers" situation where someone took a single photo and now every grandpa in America is terrified of black people in berets?

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

I mean, you could probably make a pretty good argument that morality is more important than math.

What a lovely and exhausted meme that liberals "don't understand math" because they want to spend more on social services and less on dumb poo poo like walls and a bloated military. Especially considering how many glossed over eyes I've seen while trying to explain college loan forgiveness and how that money wouldn't just vanish. How in fact, it would give millions of Americans the ability to go out and spend more money on goods and services which is particularly helpful IF YOU LIVE IN A DEMAND DRIVEN ECONOMY YOU loving MORONS.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Was there ever an actual event where a bunch of antifa people got together, carrying baseball bats, dressed in dark hoodies with red hankerchiefs covering their faces? That's been the go-to antifa visual for cartoonists like Nazi Klurf and Branco for years now, but just about every "antifa protester" I've seen has just been an normal-looking person, maybe carrying a sign, without any face coverings.

Am I just missing the Dangerous Anarchist Thugs in the crowds, or is this a "New Black Panthers" situation where someone took a single photo and now every grandpa in America is terrified of black people in berets?

IIRC, plenty of antifa people actually do wear the face coverings, since the Nazis are constantly urging their people to doxx them.
Of course, the antifa roaming in packs and torching everything and jumping people is projection on the Nazi's part.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
There was recent coverage...somewhere? Of antifa jumping some marines. I don't recall the sourcing, accuracy, or what, but that'll be what this is referring to.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What sort of coward would wear some kind of mask while attacking nazis?

Why is he even wearing that thing? Does he think people can't recognise him with it on?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Yesss... The people that plan to go out and literally fight Nazis or engage in property damage will cover up to avoid identification. Like the person who punched Richard Spencer had a hoodie and bandana on, so it's not an entirely unfair image though it does reflect a minority of antifa activists.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Discendo Vox posted:

There was recent coverage...somewhere? Of antifa jumping some marines. I don't recall the sourcing, accuracy, or what, but that'll be what this is referring to.

Googling "antifa attacks marines" yielded Fox News and a lot of other garbage looking sources, but upon reading even those it seems pretty bullshit. According to the two marines, this group of like ten masked people "asked them if they were proud boys" and then just proceeded to mercilessly beat the poo poo out of them. Even while one marine yelled "I'm Mexican!"

It just reeks of missing context, but that's probably just my bias against right wing shitheads.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Grimdude posted:

Googling "antifa attacks marines" yielded Fox News and a lot of other garbage looking sources, but upon reading even those it seems pretty bullshit. According to the two marines, this group of like ten masked people "asked them if they were proud boys" and then just proceeded to mercilessly beat the poo poo out of them. Even while one marine yelled "I'm Mexican!"

It just reeks of missing context, but that's probably just my bias against right wing shitheads.

The marines also alleged that their attackers yelled racial slurs at them, which should probably set off some bullshit alarms.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Grimdude posted:

Yeah by no means saying it's accurate (say it ain't so, stonetoss citing stdh), just identifying the source.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

there wolf posted:

Yesss... The people that plan to go out and literally fight Nazis or engage in property damage will cover up to avoid identification. Like the person who punched Richard Spencer had a hoodie and bandana on, so it's not an entirely unfair image though it does reflect a minority of antifa activists.

Yeah, I'm aware that covering up your face if there's a chance of engaging in antifascist violence is a good idea, but I was more asking about the specifics of the "outfit". Like, black hoodie and red handkerchief is the go-to portrayal. It's been kept pretty consistent across multiple cartoonists and a number of years, so I was wondering if there was an initial photograph or video that solidified "Ah, so this is what antifa looks like" in the collective conservative subconscious.

It's like how Branco saw that one photo of Obama with his eyes mostly closed and his chin tilted up so it kinda looks like he's looking down at someone, and immediately said "Welp, that's how I'm going to draw that uppity... so-and-so from now on."

Edit: Yeah I phrased that initial question poorly, I didn't want to imply that antifa are just peaceful protesters that never perform violence, I just haven't seen any wandering groups of red-hankerchiefed antifa thugs that Ramirez wants you to think exist. Individuals covering their faces, yeah of course, but it's not a uniform.

Crunch Buttsteak fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 11, 2019

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Grimdude posted:

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2018/12/13/marines-assaulted-philadelphia-keenan-massey-antifa/

Their story is they were unaware a Proud Boys rally was happening nearby, and there appears to have been some kind of a big misunderstanding. I can buy there is more to the story than what has been reported so far, but I can also buy they were attacked by some idiots for no real good reason and beaten up though.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.. they're reservists marines.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Requesting someone edit this to IncomPeeTape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Yeah, I'm aware that covering up your face if there's a chance of engaging in antifascist violence is a good idea, but I was more asking about the specifics of the "outfit". Like, black hoodie and red handkerchief is the go-to portrayal. It's been kept pretty consistent across multiple cartoonists and a number of years, so I was wondering if there was an initial photograph or video that solidified "Ah, so this is what antifa looks like" in the collective conservative subconscious.

It's like how Branco saw that one photo of Obama with his eyes mostly closed and his chin tilted up so it kinda looks like he's looking down at someone, and immediately said "Welp, that's how I'm going to draw that uppity... so-and-so from now on."

No, it's just a stereotype made from a common look among antifa; there's even still all-black and ski mask variations around so it's not that iconic yet. Stonetoss's is also a variation because the bandana is an antifa flag as opposed to just being red.