Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That time when Brexiters were saying they didn't need the EU's trade deals because they could just negotiate their own and then Obama was like "lol who the gently caress wants to trade with the UK?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
the mother and father in danzig's "mother" are tipper and al gore

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

she'll have to cry herself to sleep in her pile of money

rich people manage to be miserable all the time, it seems like its one of their main emotional states from what I have experienced of them. But like I said, her personal misery is a consolation prize, not a victory

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

as terrible as Trump is and has been for the world over the past couple of years, it is a consolation prize to think about her venal, sociopathic ego being shattered into teeny, tiny bits. just imagine being a fly on her wall on election night.

Ed Klein has some slashfic about that

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

John Edwards was basically The Next Kennedy until it came out that he’d used campaign contributions to cover up an affair and even fathered a child while his wife was dying of cancer.

also yes, that post-election period when liberals convinced themselves the electoral college would actually throw the election to Hillary JUST LIKE IN THE POPULAR MUSICAL HAMILTON.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MikeCrotch posted:

Fiasco by Thomas Ricks is about Iraq specifically but the first part covers how the Bush administration used the hysteria to push their fabricated case for war

Speaking of Iraq, Paul Bremer firing the entire Iraqi army overnight lol

He made it impossible for anyone who was a Ba'ath Party member to work in Iraq, which meant not only was the entire army fired but everyone in local government and all the teachers too

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc

Filthy Hans posted:

He made it impossible for anyone who was a Ba'ath Party member to work in Iraq, which meant not only was the entire army fired but everyone in local government and all the teachers too
holy lol, i forgot about this

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

John Edwards was basically The Next Kennedy until it came out that he’d used campaign contributions to cover up an affair and even fathered a child while his wife was dying of cancer.

that was kennedy af

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

also yes, that post-election period when liberals convinced themselves the electoral college would actually throw the election to Hillary JUST LIKE IN THE POPULAR MUSICAL HAMILTON.

i think the $400 haircuts would have killed his campaign anyway

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

That got approximately the same amount of airtime as him getting an expensive hair cut

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

The Clinton White House vandalism lie

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

zegermans posted:

The Clinton White House vandalism lie

See that wasn't funny. It was disappointing that it was false and dumb

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
to be fair Edwards did have amazing hair

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
John McCain crashed five planes and blew up his own aircraft carrier

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

the persistent rumor about john edwards having an absolutely enormous hog

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 18:07 on Jan 10, 2019

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Mr. Lobe posted:

as terrible as Trump is and has been for the world over the past couple of years, it is a consolation prize to think about her venal, sociopathic ego being shattered into teeny, tiny bits. just imagine being a fly on her wall on election night.

There were transition meetings at the White House already scheduled before election night. They seriously thought they had it in the bag. I can only hope someone who witnessed the moment she got the news documents the reaction in a book at some point.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Javid posted:

There were transition meetings at the White House already scheduled before election night. They seriously thought they had it in the bag. I can only hope someone who witnessed the moment she got the news documents the reaction in a book at some point.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

John Edwards accepted the veep position from Kerry by telling him an emotional story about his father's death that hed never told anyone before, except Kerry clearly remembered Edwards telling him the exact same story before.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

StashAugustine posted:

John Edwards accepted the veep position from Kerry by telling him an emotional story about his father's death that hed never told anyone before, except Kerry clearly remembered Edwards telling him the exact same story before.

edwards: I am a pure liability and an ambition elemental. listen to me tell you a huge lie (again). take me as your running mate

kerry: :ok:

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc
coverage of the Summer of the Shark only stopped because 9/11 happened

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

the story was about the death of his son
loving psycho

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc
speaking of that weird time post-Bush II inauguration and pre-9/11, the Japanese Prime Minister during the end of Clinton's time and the beginning of Bush II's time was a hilariously unpopular and inept doofus that played lots of golf

quote:

The media coverage of Mori's term as prime minister was dominated by his gaffes and undiplomatic comments. Even prior to his election as prime minister, he had been described in the Japanese media as having "the heart of a flea and the brain of a shark."[6][7]
  • In January 2000, he made a joke about his campaign in the 1969 election: "When I was greeting farmers from my car, they all went into their homes. I felt like I had AIDS."[7]
  • In February 2000, when asked about the Year 2000 problem in the United States, Mori quipped that "when there is a blackout, the murderers always come out. It's that type of society."[7]
  • At Obuchi's funeral, Mori failed to clap and bow properly before Obuchi's shrine, an important portion of a traditional Japanese funeral rite. The other world leaders present at the funeral, including then U.S. President Bill Clinton, performed the ritual correctly.[8]
  • At a meeting of Shinto followers in Tokyo in May 2000, Mori described Japan as "a nation of deities (kami no kuni) with the Emperor at its center." This "divine nation statement" stirred controversy in Japan as it invoked the official interpretation of the Emperor as a divine entity during the days of the Empire of Japan.[9] Days after this statement, Mori questioned whether the Japan Communist Party could "ensure Japan's security and defend the kokutai", using a term for Japan's unity with its divine emperor which had not been in common use since World War II.[10]
  • During the June 2000 election, when asked about recent newspaper reports that showed that roughly half of the voters still had not decided for whom to vote, he replied that they could "stay in bed for the day."[11]
  • In October 2000, during a dialogue with British prime minister Tony Blair, Mori stated that the Japanese government had suggested in 1997 that Japanese nationals believed to be abducted by North Korea be arranged to be "found" elsewhere in order to ensure a smooth normalization of the relation between North Korea and Japan, which upset the foreign ministry and led to calls for Mori's resignation from conservative voices within the LDP.[12]
  • In December 2000, pictures appeared in the weekly magazine Shukan Gendai showing him drinking in an Osaka bar with a high-ranking Yakuza.[13]
  • In February 2001, the US submarine USS Greeneville accidentally hit and sank the Japanese fishing ship Ehime Maru during an emergency surface drill on 9 February 2001, resulting in 9 dead students and teachers. Mori continued a round of golf after being told of the incident, for which he was criticized as being politically tone-deaf.[14]
  • One unsubstantiated story concerned the 26th G8 summit in 2000, at which upon meeting U.S. President Bill Clinton, Mori was to say "How are you". Instead, he allegedly slipped up and said "Who are you;" Clinton answered "Well, I'm Hillary Clinton's husband", to which Mori replied "Me too". Snopes.com reported that this was obviously a low-quality fabrication/joke and that the same story had been told about Kim Young-sam several months earlier.[15] It was nonetheless reported by some mainstream media outlets such as ABC in Australia.[16]

THS
Sep 15, 2017

not a cult posted:

the story was about the death of his son
loving psycho

yeah john edwards was a chilling case. even teenage me could see he was a huge drat creep at the time

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Javid posted:

on a similar vein Labour shadow cabinet minister Yvette Cooper had a team set up ready to launch a leadership campaign after the 2017 General Election and had to fire them all when it turned out Corbyn and Labour had done much better than expected

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.ibtimes.com/romney-so-shellshocked-election-loss-he-didnt-write-concession-speech-866316

https://nypost.com/2017/09/10/hillary-admits-she-had-no-concession-speech-ready/

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
she tempted the wrath from high atop the thing

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Rv6vUxPMs

Had a minor freakout when I saw the date on this and realized it happened less than two years ago. Feels like it's been a decade lol

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
trump said japan won't accept american car imports because they test american car imports by dropping a bowling ball on them to see if it makes a dent

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Romney’s plane entering the hangar to the Last American Hero after losing and the plane having to stop and reverse in truly anticlimactic fashion

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
bill clinton's 1992 campaign promise to "end welfare as we know it"

which he fulfilled in 1996, helping to earn him his reelection

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
A Saudi government twitter account threatened to 9/11 Canada

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

carly fiorina

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

jerry seinfel posted:

carly fiorina

yeah I just listened to cum town too

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

hell yeah bro

remember when she kidnapped those children

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jerry seinfel posted:

hell yeah bro

remember when she kidnapped those children

a ghost just passed smelling salts under my nose

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

theflyingexecutive posted:

interesting

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQANTdKJSYE

lol

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lmao "You all need to campaign for me, because I sure as gently caress don't know how."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayatollah Hermione
Apr 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
H.A. Goodman