Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

prefect posted:

Scott has the worst imagination.

Clearly you mean best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If Gambit was a child’s fantasy, specifically a child who’s never met a Cajun or French person, it would explain the accent

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

If Gambit was a child’s fantasy, specifically a child who’s never met a Cajun or French person, it would explain the accent

It not you, it Cyclops' imagination

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

I think on Jay and Miles they mention that even Gambit was initially supposed to be a figment of Scott's imagination.

What? His first appearance his helping out Storm, who'd been turned into a preteen at the time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

What? His first appearance his helping out Storm, who'd been turned into a preteen at the time.

Apparently I am misremembering things and it seemed like there was a possibility of Gambit being Scott's third brother.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

Apparently I am misremembering things and it seemed like there was a possibility of Gambit being Scott's third brother.

That would have been better than the third Summers we ended up with.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Adam-X The Xtreme would have been better than the third Summers we ended up with, which isn't saying much because Adam-X the Xtreme rules but still

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Alaois posted:

Adam-X The Xtreme would have been better than the third Summers we ended up with, which isn't saying much because Adam-X the Xtreme rules but still

I personally thought that he never left up to his title. He just wasn't x-treme enough.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

God don't remind me of that poo poo.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Schneider Heim posted:

I like the fun (and sometimes bullshit) application of powers in fiction, it can get really creative and good (see My Hero Academia, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure), but most of all I like reading about people who are strong and kind, period.

I love My Hero Academia. I used to say inFamous was the most comic book something felt outside of an actual comic, but that has taken the spot over. To overshare a bit, I've been bummed out lately. The idea of powerful people who inspire us regular guys to have integrity and be kind and care about each other has been a real comfort.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

God don't remind me of that poo poo.

That What If issue about Vulcan leading the X-Men was pretty good.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SonicRulez posted:

I love My Hero Academia. I used to say inFamous was the most comic book something felt outside of an actual comic, but that has taken the spot over. To overshare a bit, I've been bummed out lately. The idea of powerful people who inspire us regular guys to have integrity and be kind and care about each other has been a real comfort.
MHA even addresses "the social problems in a system with a bunch of superheroes" better than most cape comics.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I know very little about art and even less about how comic books are actually made. I see some comics have an artist, colourist, letterer and inker. Is this done because this the most efficient method of creating a comic?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Generally, yes. Occasionally pencils will go straight to color or a comic will be black and white or a penciller will ink their own art, but as a general rule, a penciller can do one comic per month, an inker can do two or three, and a colorist or letterer can do several, so it works out best to distribute that labor.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Generally, yes. Occasionally pencils will go straight to color or a comic will be black and white or a penciller will ink their own art, but as a general rule, a penciller can do one comic per month, an inker can do two or three, and a colorist or letterer can do several, so it works out best to distribute that labor.

Thanks, do you get people who crossover in their work, doing one thing on one comic and different job on another?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sometimes! Chris Eliopoulos, as an example, is probably best known for his lettering, but he also has done art here and there, as well as some writing. David Mazzucchelli has written, inked, and penciled various works. There's been lots of inkers who have moved into pencilling.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Endless Mike posted:

Sometimes! Chris Eliopoulos, as an example, is probably best known for his lettering, but he also has done art here and there, as well as some writing. David Mazzucchelli has written, inked, and penciled various works. There's been lots of inkers who have moved into pencilling.

Sometimes you'll see a real weird combo, like Bill Sienkiewicz inking Sal Buscema.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I was trying to tell my wife the differences between Captain Marvel (Shazam) and Captain Marvel (Marvel comics) and she asked me why neither company sued the other about the name as it seems like having two superheroes belonging to two different companies would seem like a big no no and I don't really know the answer to that. So has DC ever tried to sue Marvel over the name Captain Marvel and why were both companies allowed to keep the name?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

And I suppose different jobs have different rates of pay, do artists get the bigger rate?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Madkal posted:

I was trying to tell my wife the differences between Captain Marvel (Shazam) and Captain Marvel (Marvel comics) and she asked me why neither company sued the other about the name as it seems like having two superheroes belonging to two different companies would seem like a big no no and I don't really know the answer to that. So has DC ever tried to sue Marvel over the name Captain Marvel and why were both companies allowed to keep the name?

This should help you out. Basically, DC's Captain Marvel was created in the 1930s by another company, which was sued out of the comics business over Captain Marvel's similarities to Superman. Marvel's Captain Marvel was created in the 1960s, when the original Captain Marvel had been sitting unused for several years. Then in the 1970s DC decided to buy the rights to the original Captain Marvel, but Marvel had trademarked the name since then. Because of this, DC is still allowed to use the name for the character, but can't use it on the cover or advertising (which is why all Captain Marvel books since then have just used "Shazam!" in their title instead of the character's name).

To make things even more fun, Marvel has had half a dozen characters who've used the name "Captain Marvel," of whom Carol Danvers is only one.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 11, 2019

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm like a week late, but there's a documentary called Batman & Bill that came out in 2017 about Bill Finger and his finally getting the recognition he deserved. I think it's still on Hulu.

I have a question about the name of a book/character. I think it was just part of a bigger GN. I vaguely remember the gist of the title, like 'Billy Chestnut Boy Genius' but in the story the character was an older, lonely depressed man. I know he ended up with a broken arm, and maybe his mother died?

Sorry it's so vague, in the IT Crowd one of the guys has a figurine if the character and I'm just completely blanking. He had a black sweater vest and red pants.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm like a week late, but there's a documentary called Batman & Bill that came out in 2017 about Bill Finger and his finally getting the recognition he deserved. I think it's still on Hulu.

I have a question about the name of a book/character. I think it was just part of a bigger GN. I vaguely remember the gist of the title, like 'Billy Chestnut Boy Genius' but in the story the character was an older, lonely depressed man. I know he ended up with a broken arm, and maybe his mother died?

Sorry it's so vague, in the IT Crowd one of the guys has a figurine if the character and I'm just completely blanking. He had a black sweater vest and red pants.
Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth, by Chris Ware? It was serialized in Acme Novelty Library and I think the Chicago weekly paper Newcity in the mid-late 90, which it sounds like is maybe where you ran into it, although its since been collected as its own thing.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Archyduchess posted:

Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth, by Chris Ware? It was serialized in Acme Novelty Library and I think the Chicago weekly paper Newcity in the mid-late 90, which it sounds like is maybe where you ran into it, although its since been collected as its own thing.

That's it! Thanks a bunch!

I was thinking 'Corrigan' was the last name but figured I was wrong and just thinking of 'Billy Corgan'.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Gavok posted:

That What If issue about Vulcan leading the X-Men was pretty good.

That ending is so good.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Archyduchess posted:

One of the greatest comics ever created that I absolutely never want to read again. It's beautifully told and perfectly connects with the reader to transfer raw clinical depression into them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Selachian posted:

This should help you out. Basically, DC's Captain Marvel was created in the 1930s by another company, which was sued out of the comics business over Captain Marvel's similarities to Superman. Marvel's Captain Marvel was created in the 1960s, when the original Captain Marvel had been sitting unused for several years. Then in the 1970s DC decided to buy the rights to the original Captain Marvel, but Marvel had trademarked the name since then. Because of this, DC is still allowed to use the name for the character, but can't use it on the cover or advertising (which is why all Captain Marvel books since then have just used "Shazam!" in their title instead of the character's name).

To make things even more fun, Marvel has had half a dozen characters who've used the name "Captain Marvel," of whom Carol Danvers is only one.

Also they eventually gave up and changed his name to Shazam too.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
so why is that superheroes have this need to save the world or something? What about ones who dick around and use their powers for trivial things.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No publisher is willing to put money into producing that

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Fruity20 posted:

so why is that superheroes have this need to save the world or something? What about ones who dick around and use their powers for trivial things.

There's plenty of stories about that, it's cliche and boring.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Y'all should check out Major Bummer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Also they eventually gave up and changed his name to Shazam too.

After a couple of tries.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Endless Mike posted:

Y'all should check out Major Bummer.

Tyrannosaurus Reich is one of the greatest puns turned into a real character ever.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fruity20 posted:

Stories in this vein exist (e.g., the anime When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace), but they are mostly bad. Someone who has superpowers but doesn't use them to help others is probably a fairly lovely person (Matthew 25:14-30, Amazing Fantasy 15, and all that). It can be done well if you're aiming for comedy with a deliberately unsympathetic protagonist, though (e.g., Jack Vance's Rhialto the Marvelous).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Stories in this vein exist (e.g., the anime When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace), but they are mostly bad. Someone who has superpowers but doesn't use them to help others is probably a fairly lovely person (Matthew 25:14-30, Amazing Fantasy 15, and all that). It can be done well if you're aiming for comedy with a deliberately unsympathetic protagonist, though (e.g., Jack Vance's Rhialto the Marvelous).

There's tons of lightly fantasy stories about supernatural abilities being common. The heroic figure out to save the world is the most trite and boring version of those. The actually interesting stuff is where the world adapts to it.

But the person who asked specified "superheroes" so I didn't think the bringing up the hundreds of thousands of stories that do that but without the spandex were worth mentioning.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

There's tons of lightly fantasy stories about supernatural abilities being common. The heroic figure out to save the world is the most trite and boring version of those. The actually interesting stuff is where the world adapts to it.

Stories where supernatural abilities are actually common are a different matter. I was referring to stories where the protagonist's supernatural ability is an anomaly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There's an old Spider-man story that deals with him meeting a guy who was bitten by a radioactive rabbit and gained the proportional powers of such but who doesn't want to be a superhero. He briefly saves like a factory or something from a fire by kicking asbestos at it because he works there, but like that's it. I don't think he's even seen or heard from again because it would be a comic about him working at a factory and shaving half an hour off his commute.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

The last run of Hellcat was about people with powers who didn’t want to become super heroes. I liked it, but don’t think I would of without Patsy herself doing superhero stuff.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I remember liking the Non-adventures of Wonderella.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Pete pretty much sums things up in MCU Civil War, right? If you have superpowers and decide not to help anybody when you could have, that's kinda messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's pretty much Spider-man's founding principal.