Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Hope you feel better soon, Dan. Your bathroom tiling looks crazy familiar to me but I can't place it. I reckon it's something I saw in a hotel once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Miftan posted:

Hope you feel better soon, Dan. Your bathroom tiling looks crazy familiar to me but I can't place it. I reckon it's something I saw in a hotel once?

Thanks :) It's entirely possible this bathroom was made from leftover/stolen parts from a hotel chain going up- we found a whole shitload of leftover and mismatched tiles under the bath :)

just down the road from the arrowhead project

Spent the last few days holed up but a diet of homegrown spuds and cat fusses has me strong enough for another visit

Misty and chilly but really quite pretty.

First up after the rounds was a bit of rosehip picking- most I saw today are already over ripe, rotting or birdpecked, I'm hoping some of the other bushes that get less sun aren't as far along and I can score some more next time.

Don't eat the tasty looking laurel berries though.

Holly might be edible if you cook it I... have no idea. Looks pretty and birds eat it. (Edit, no, it turns out its quite poisonous)

Some new fungus growing- looked funky.

I found a tin. Without a label.

The tin was full. but with what?

I was curious enough to end up with cheap spaghetti in sauce splattered over me. Not the worst thing a sense of curiosity has had me bathed in.

I brought my new shovel along and while I feel like poo poo, this mini drainage ditch won't clear itself- and if all these leaves compost there then there won't be any drain at all.

The new shovel is loving awesome- sharp digging head but it's also nice and long- key to easy digging when you are tall. It's also "ergonomic" which I think is a fancy word for wonky. It will clog again fast because I didn't bring a rake to clear each side a bit, but its better for now.

Some of what I dug out had already composted- next time I need to save it cause it was worm filled and rich soil.

After that I was spent, so I dragged myself to the shops and then home- next time round I want to patch up the caravan a bit more, maybe bring another plant or two, and maybe heat a tin of beans- all excitement, all the time.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 27, 2018

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

caturday night fever

There is no real proper update other than I still feel like a bus hit me- my GP made the concerned face when I went back and she sent me off to hospital to get stabbed which I dutifully suffered and now I await the results of my shivving.

I assisted the kids in planting some onion and garlic today in the back garden though- I think I more got in the way than anything else but they are in the ground before the frost and that's what counts.

And hicks is still happy and healthy seeming and being an adorable arsehole. Some time next week I have to get one or two essentials done before the frost like storing my fig trees and such and will hopefully have the strength to get down on the acres again.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I hope that you are feeling better soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

xcheopis posted:

I hope that you are feeling better soon!

Still getting hammered by it unfortunately- my doctor has given me some decent pain relief now though, and my most recent blood tests look great- just gotta wait it out.

cosy thanks to co-codamol

Today was nice for a drive (and was soundtracked by the knife) so I dragged myself down to check on things- I needed to shelter some fig trees overwinter that I have been raising at home, so I visited the in-law's greenhouse to stow them and more importantly visit the chickens too

I didn't do much other than wander around feeling a bit buzzed on painkillers but it was quite pleasant to do so even beyond the opiate glow

So really I'm just dumping pictures with little attention to detail while playing ksp at home as the only work I did was investigate damp/leak in the caravan and tip buckets of rainwater into my big container

Oh and I serviced the lovely leaky lock. I didnt want to buy a masterlock brand piece of reprehensible loving bullshit but when thats all the shop open has and you need one right then, you buy the worst "weatherproof" lock going and oil it up regularly. One day I'm gonna shoot it. The lavender has been attacked again. Of course. The pond is filling. It rains. Picked tiny raspberries. They sucked.

I'm hoping to visit on solstice so I can see the sun at it's lowest and make various offerings to the elder gods

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

DesperateDan posted:

... make various offerings to the elder gods

!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Don't worry, I'm sure Hicks won't sacrifice DesperateDan. Mostly sure.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Didn't make it for solstice but it was super cloudy so I didn't miss much

feel good hit of the winter

Boxing day at the in laws is now a long running tradition, as is sneaking away for a cheeky bit of substance abuse

Today was about sorting a part of one of the special projects- I have a few bits planned for the birbs in various stages and hopefully I can get rolling on them again soon

Cow hoof holes are good for holding a beer

Caravan seems to be leaking from this line of insulation but no problems can be seen on the roof and the insulation is dry- gonna seal it up with something in spring

Oil mixed with water inside the "weatherproof" padlock means I flush it out with more antique oil

This doggo could see a feast and is outside for a reason

The chooks are very happy with leftovers though :) I think I'm slowly improving healthwise- still having fever dreams and fatigue but the soreness/arthritis are on a definite retreat. Merry xmas goons!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

pushing up the daisies garlic

Still improving a bit so I got to tidy the deck and garden at home up today and weed some plants that are waiting for planting on the acres in spring. I was putting it off before I got ill, and now it was just nice to be able to manage a few things without feeling like shite afterwards.

The onions are well hidden but the garlic has suffered frost heave- they shouldnt be popped up like that, but with any luck fresh soil on top and some straw will sort them.

These are some of the other dormant and not quite so dormant plants for next spring- olives and blueberries and hazel and kiwi and quince and all sorts of other bits. Got lots of digging ahead of me.

These strawberry plants constitute the new citizens of one of the special projects for spring- a raised, metre square bed protected from birds to get a strawb patch up and running. I had a few pots growing earlier this year, and when they put runners out I potted lots of them up.

There was a lot of removal of dead leaves and runners, but with a little careful work with a knife, I rescued about 10 other shoots and...

potted them up in fresh soil. Not sure if they will make it overwinter but some of them were doing just fine hanging mid-air between plants with no soil for months so I'm guessing they are hardy little bastards and deserve a shot.

Speaking of hardy little bastards, hicks wants feeding now and wants the world to know

As do I, as somehow there is cheese leftover from xmas, and it must all be destroyed, cracker by cracker, roll by roll. Back to the acres next week, because I have an itch to fell some trees :)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Some strawberries are insatiable running zombies, they suit my style of gardening. Are you getting over that bug? Tree felling sounds hard work but rewarding.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I learn such interesting poo poo from this thread. Freaking awesome.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

cakesmith handyman posted:

Some strawberries are insatiable running zombies, they suit my style of gardening. Are you getting over that bug? Tree felling sounds hard work but rewarding.

I think I'm getting there thanks :) the arthritis/fatigue symptoms are definitely a lot less than they were, only the fever symptoms are still there in strength- annoying but a lot easier to overcome, and it seems it's normally the last symptom to go away.

Tree felling isn't too much of a bother with good sharp blades and some patience- used properly the tools should do most of the hard work. The winter part is also important- the trees have far less water in them so the cutting effort is much reduced and the cold weather is far more pleasant for work that warms you up.

xcheopis posted:

I learn such interesting poo poo from this thread. Freaking awesome.

Thanks- its a constant learning thing for me and often I find things out by doing them wrong- for example I only learned last night I shouldn't be using oil on a whetstone when sharpening (it clogs the grit of the surface) and doing so has been making it take much longer to get a good edge- luckily it was a really cheap block so now I get to upgrade and do things better :)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

always leaf room to escape

Cold morning but bright. Ground is no longer muddy, it's hardened up and it finally feels a bit like winter is here.

Mid bottle of morning beer I had an unexpected guest looking for a missing dog so a search ensued- no luck, but I did sneak on these squirrels.

Bird feeder was near empty as shown- refilled and it was quickly busy with birds- lovely to watch, frustrating to get a shot with a phone camera. More to come on this subject :)

Its all a learning experience and today I learnt by loving up again. I took a big bit of tree on, too big for 1 person with a bowsaw and nearly got squished by it when it fell in an unpredictable way- always leave yourself a good escape route, that (and my tactical turtleneck) saved my stupid arse today.

After that adrenaline inducing event I focused on smaller branches and bits like dog-rose and bramble around the pond. Dog-rose thorns are nasty but massive sections can be pulled at once if you get the right bit of root section.

Then there's lots of work in thinning down what I cut- the smaller branches are piled up on the edges of the land for habitat, larger bits are tucked various places to dry out- one of the secret projects is something more suitable for firewood- tis the season.

The bigger saw is a 30 inch bowsaw with a blade intended for live wood- it cuts beautifully. Handsaw is the one I always tuck in my pocket when I come down here and I take good care of both with regular checks for misaligned teeth and penetrating spray.

And now my lounge area looks a bit neater, and more sunlight will get through to the pond- probably another half day's worth of work needed to thin it out more.

The downside of the day is the caravan- damp wood on the floor is notably worse, I really need to get down there while its raining to see where the water is coming in and get something sorted.

Less than I wanted to do but more than I have managed in a while- I took myself home rather than push too hard, Hicks was guarding my new whetstones- just need a small ceramic cow and I will be equipped to get my blades honed finely. More things soon. Me make birbs happy more. Make feelgood.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

This past summer I cut down a bunch of poo poo and let me tell you, once I finally upgraded to power tools poo poo got so much easier / faster.

Sawzall + Hedge Trimmer (A big fuckoff one with a 22 in. blade) + Baby Sized Electric Chainsaw

That will cover all the poo poo that you can safely (ish, chainsaw still pretty dangerous) cut as a non-experienced person pretty well. I was kicking myself because I could have saved so much time vs loving around with hand tools. The thing limiting me now is how much yard waste I can fit in my bin, not how much time I have. All that poo poo is pretty expensive, but goddamn it makes stuff go so much faster.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Tres Burritos posted:

I finally upgraded to power tools poo poo got so much easier / faster.

Yeah I imagine it will be like the step up from slashing weeds down with handtools to using the petrol brushcutter was- that thing has saved me so much work.

I want a small 2 stroke chainsaw but it means buying all the safety gear too so it's continuously been put off when other stuff came up- right now I'm sorting out what plants I want for spring (lots) and then the caravan will need a lot of lumber and sealants etc so for now I'm just gonna be getting more muscular and doing it the hard way.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If that's the largest tree bit you'll tackle a cordless sawzall with a long rough cut wood blade will do you fine, the problem will be running out of batteries.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

If that's the largest tree bit you'll tackle a cordless sawzall with a long rough cut wood blade will do you fine, the problem will be running out of batteries.

New Lithium Ion batteries last for ages. We've just got some Husqvarna hedge cutters at work and they'll go a few hours of trigger time before the batteries need changing. A single tree shouldn't be a problem.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I have my eye on a makita electric saw for smaller bits of tree- it will use the same batteries as my drill/driver and for a lot of bits would be fine, but I need to build up to taking on really big bits of tree, so a reasonable hp petrol engined chainsaw with a shorter bar for now, then upgrade later when I have skill/more cash.

an army must eat, and so must an airforce

It was a degree or so warmer on the thermometer than last time but the humidity and slight breeze from the north made it feel numbingly cold.

Nothing but crumbs left this time. Small ones at that.

I hosed off working and sat for a bit with a beer and a cheese sandwich cause I felt tired and achy already, morale was boosted heavily by the cheddar and the pickle and the beer

I initially wanted to clear out round by the pond some more but ended up chopping back some poplar tree to put up new bird feeders- now up to 20 balls, no edge of a cliff in sight.

Sorted my lavender a bit too

Lots of muntjac prints and poops.

Not sure what this is. Fungus maybe.

Then onto the caravan and holy poo poo the wood here is hosed- I'm gonna get some sealants bought in, but this section of floor will need ripping out and replacing. Luckily, it seems to be the only wet area in the 'van.

Had some mice round the caravan too- years of inaction by them led me to leave a few tasty treats like my sugar and packets of mustard in the kitchenette and they ate them. I understand. I have eaten mustard out of a packet before. Cleaned up and wiped down and checked for other activity but seems I caught em early.

Got back with enough sunlight to check my garlic- all nice and snug and vigorous :)

Gotta do some buying, planning and some sharpening but will be back soon

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 10, 2019

schmug
May 20, 2007

DesperateDan posted:

I have my eye on a makita electric saw for smaller bits of tree- it will use the same batteries as my drill/driver and for a lot of bits would be fine, but I need to build up to taking on really big bits of tree, so a reasonable hp petrol engined chainsaw with a shorter bar for now, then upgrade later when I have skill/more cash.

I have a Makita Reciprocating Saw with a 5ah 18V lithium and it runs for a very long time. It's great for pruning and the like.

get some of these and you're golden

schmug fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 10, 2019

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Just popping by to say how great this thread is.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Do you have a new cat now?

Also, I'd recommend a metal box with a lock if you leave anything edible in the camper. I'd leave a can or two something ready to heat just in case.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Catzilla posted:

New Lithium Ion batteries last for ages. We've just got some Husqvarna hedge cutters at work and they'll go a few hours of trigger time before the batteries need changing. A single tree shouldn't be a problem.

Yes but when I started cutting things up I found so many things needed the tender reciprocating touch of death. Dan may not have a handy charger so will need to carry a backup battery to deal with running out of power mid-tree.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

schmug posted:

I have a Makita Reciprocating Saw with a 5ah 18V lithium and it runs for a very long time. It's great for pruning and the like.

get some of these and you're golden

Yes but when I started cutting things up I found so many things needed the tender reciprocating touch of death. Dan may not have a handy charger so will need to carry a backup battery to deal with running out of power mid-tree.

I'm gonna keep an eye out on prices and hopefully hop on it while it's good cutting weather, I'm a long way from a power socket when I'm on the field so I will want at least 2 batteries as the ones I have now are pretty old. Eventually when I have a slightly bigger solar/battery setup I can probably rig something to charge from or just buy a 12V charger from makita for however many firstborn children they want

Miftan posted:

Just popping by to say how great this thread is.

I thank the honourable member as always for his warm words and continued support :)

endlessmonotony posted:

Do you have a new cat now?

Also, I'd recommend a metal box with a lock if you leave anything edible in the camper. I'd leave a can or two something ready to heat just in case.

The pictured cat is the same black cat that has been there at the field a year or three or five now- there's another one I haven't seen in awhile but was often more shy and may well just be holed up more for winter. Hicks is still with us at home and doing well- for example he recently learnt to open and slam the kitchen cupboard doors for attention, a prime arsehole cat :)

I'm taking some sealable metal containers down to guard against mice- I already have cans of emergency sustenance (that could well do with a sortout as some was bought when we first dragged the caravan in around '15). The only lock is the poo poo padlock on the outside- if someone wants in, having them smash lots of poo poo apart to get in and smash other boxes apart to nick things is more time/cash lost than having them get past the lovely padlock and nick things- locks are there to keep honest people honest.

Unless you meant the lock being to protect from the mice. Devious bastards they are.

Hoping for a chance to get down there for a visit tomorrow morning, see if the birbs have been hungry (yes) or if my lavender is molested (probably) and if the beer is good (was the last few dozen times, but who knows).

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Mr T birds ate my balls

It was cold but that's what layers are for :colbert:

The stringy green stuff on the ground is called grass by the locals and will chill drinks when frozen. It also crunches when stomped. Crunch crunch crunch.

Birds ate most of the balls.

So they were replaced and more capacity for balls was introduced. They are held in shafts. The balls go up and down.

I just barely turned my back and these two tits were all over my balls, working up and down the shaft... sorry

Lavender still smells nice even under frost, can't wait to have loads.

The pond has frozen over, had to smash it because smashing is fun so the precious animals can drink

Badger/fox sets been excavating some more

Checked the caravan roof and it seemed pretty good, but I'm thinking the seams need a touch up

The floor bit has dried up a tiny bit though in spite of lots of rain- will make it easier to work with to remove

The kitchenette was clear other than a single mousepoop, and my other emergency supplies are fully intact and proper- nothing like a bit of hot cock soup to warm a winters day. Brought in 2 tins for my coffee and sugar (fresh contents for them forgotten otherwise I might have had a brew)

I didn't get much done today other than wander and enjoy- fatigue and aches popped up a bit and I needed to go get other stuff done too.

Back at home we pulled the carrots that had been given up on- the soil needed to be much lighter. Might be a few edible bits, better luck in spring perhaps.

On a happier note, I got chance to soak my stones

This is my newest mora, and the factory sharpening job was alright but with some use the edge got kinked up a bit and dull- this is after a few passes- I forgot a proper before before pic showing the kinks in the blade.

So with lots of lubrication (haven't found a cow yet, ceramic bird works well) I worked my way up- 400, 1000, 3000 and finally 8000 grit.

It's not perfect but will shave hair and do fun things to a sheet of paper- the new blocks are a lot easier to work with and I think with time I will manage a proper mirrors edge effect- I need a stropping block and some fine grit paste to really excel now

There's also bits like turning this mess of cord pulled from the tomato canes

And turning them into neat, sealed and useful ties

But that's not as good as cat pictures is it now?

More soon, but my dishwasher broke and I got promoted to plongeur

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Phew, I had an erotic spresm reading that.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

DesperateDan posted:

The pictured cat is the same black cat that has been there at the field a year or three or five now- there's another one I haven't seen in awhile but was often more shy and may well just be holed up more for winter. Hicks is still with us at home and doing well- for example he recently learnt to open and slam the kitchen cupboard doors for attention, a prime arsehole cat :)

I'm taking some sealable metal containers down to guard against mice- I already have cans of emergency sustenance (that could well do with a sortout as some was bought when we first dragged the caravan in around '15). The only lock is the poo poo padlock on the outside- if someone wants in, having them smash lots of poo poo apart to get in and smash other boxes apart to nick things is more time/cash lost than having them get past the lovely padlock and nick things- locks are there to keep honest people honest.

Unless you meant the lock being to protect from the mice. Devious bastards they are.

I was jokingly asking if you had been adopted by the black cat yet or if it was the cat of someone nearby.

Also yeah, a camper will not hold a human with tools no matter how fancy the lock is, but a padlock on a box will keep mice away. When they can't chew through the box, anyway. I may have experience. (And a Mora of my own.)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

endlessmonotony posted:

I was jokingly asking if you had been adopted by the black cat yet or if it was the cat of someone nearby.

Also yeah, a camper will not hold a human with tools no matter how fancy the lock is, but a padlock on a box will keep mice away. When they can't chew through the box, anyway. I may have experience. (And a Mora of my own.)

The black cat adopted my farming neighbor (he is down there everyday with food) there are some houses within a few miles so it's not out of a cat's prowling range, but its always there, night or day. Maybe the other field cat has another home and that's why it's there less often.

Mora crew 4lyfe :ese:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Gang aft agley

I woke up early and it was raining where I live, but going inland a few miles quickly revealed a bit of snow.

It's been a busy/poo poo/stressful time and I'm only really here because its been about a week again and I was fearful my birbs would be starved- they were once again on the last ball.

The initial refreshment was excellent-

But I decided to push the boat out a bit and sit with a hot chocolate, partially to check the butane canisters worked nicely when cold.

As I was sat in the caravan, this muntjac decided to wander through camp- sadly the window was wet, dirty and growing moss but you get the idea- dog sized weird/cute deer things. The other deer are... deer like. And more shy.

Mice been in again nibbling even at the plastic of the box- I should bin it but a part of me wants to find if they will get through it

Obviously deserved another hot choc and a wander for some blurry pictures in the mist. On my exit, I slipped on some nasty ice getting out of the car to open a gate, ended up hitting the wing mirror and rear window glass hard with each arm but everything bar me was unharmed, so I celebrated, and headed home early to relax a bit.

I celebrated too hard, and the fates heard me and did grin. On my way home, the car died suddenly- barely had power to veer off the road, which started a bit of a

lovely adventure

So the car is pulled half up on the pavement and the rain is pouring down and initially I thought alternator/battery but they checked out and I looked down and oooooo poo poo, very oily looking water running in the drain on the road,

So I call rac (roadside recovery) assuming a hosed engine and I ask for a flatbed. They send an engineer who diagnoses the actual fault- the return line for the petrol is entirely hosed. He then authorised the flatbed, around 1pm. I can't leave the car, as it's on double yellow lines (no loving parking) and I have to be around to stop it being ticketed/seized.

I then spend the next 5 hours waiting in the car in wet clothes in freezing temperatures. I end up shivering under an empty bag of chicken feed, with two neck supports stuffed down my hoodie for extra insulation making me look like I got the worlds worst boob job. For five loving hours. Watching more ice gather on the inside and outside of the windscreen.

Eventually after multiple phone calls the truck shows. And my legs dont work. I'm glad the guy was busy in his truck the first few minutes cause my legs literally refused to move initially. So I crab/cowboy my way over eagerly to the heated cab and as I get in awkwardly, the elastic on my boxer shorts snaps, and they ceased to function. There were a few missing buttons on my fly, and this caused parts of me to freeze further in the sleet on the walk home from the garage.

More of this kind of chicanery soon I guess, after I find out how bad it is and how much the mechanic is gonna frown at me this time. On the plus side, I appreciated fresh clothes, a warm house and hot food in a whole new way when I got in :unsmith:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Yeppers, I have had that adventure too!

It's why I have some of these and one of these in the kit.

Alongside some AA batteries and a 4xAA to 5V USB converter, a whistle, storm matches and a regular first aid kit. And obviously a spare Mora. And some rope.

I actually like the ugly-rear end teal-and-orange Mora, it's easy to spot.

EDIT Aw, it's only available in blue on Amazon UK.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 2, 2019

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Glad you made it home OK, was a bit worried about your doomposts in the UKMT. Sounds like you deserve another hot choc.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Yow, that's a bad day! I'm glad you made it home safe.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Thanks all, it was made most annoying by the fact that I normally carry this

In the boot of the car which contains lots of this kind of stuff

And blankets and other bits too. But it was all useless as it wasn't in the car, because I forgot to put it back in.

Also sorted out my workbag again while I checked the emergency bits

Oh, the car works again now it has a fuel system and not a series of expensive dealer only broken bits, so...

fleeting fuckups

I made it down there yesterday with an old friend

We didn't do much other than chat for a bit and resupply noodles and coffee supplies but I hosed up and left them out, so I'm back tomorrow to hopefully get them tucked away before they are found by mouse

The birds got their balls of course

I had to see the poundstretcher cat first to conduct my ball business

Hicks is still with us, casting a stern eye on any situation

Today I started on this knife

It took ages to straighten the edge up true, only done 400 grit so far

But I stopped for pie and posting. Bit of a fragmented post but its a bit of a fragmented life right now :)

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So apart from the two kinds of heating bags your kit already has everything mine does.

I have one using an iron oxidization reaction, and whatever that reusable reaction is.

Also I did find apparently the knife I was thinking about can be found in the UK as "Mora 546 Turquoise". I can heartily recommend it, because it's a good Mora and ugly as hell.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

endlessmonotony posted:

So apart from the two kinds of heating bags your kit already has everything mine does.

I have one using an iron oxidization reaction, and whatever that reusable reaction is.

Also I did find apparently the knife I was thinking about can be found in the UK as "Mora 546 Turquoise". I can heartily recommend it, because it's a good Mora and ugly as hell.

I have some of the handwarmer things but they all got tucked into my astronomy gear- they are a great way to provide gentle heat to get condensation to stay the gently caress away

I like the gaudy colours and should do a mora family shot but now I'm back and tired I can't be arsed to collect them all together- but heres a nice folding blade a friend gifted me for now

the cutting hedge

Well here we are again I guess

Reports were received by HQ indicating not only were the food supplies at risk, a beer had been left behind. A volunteer assault force was quickly assembled and swung into action, for the sake of that lonely beer, and like 5 packs of noodles and some coffee and sugar and it all turned out just fine I guess

NO BEER LEFT BEHIND! YOU WILL ACHIEVE YOUR LIFE GOALS NOW, MY LITTLE CZECH FRIEND!

Deer tracks

Which led to this delicious, fresh pile of ground berries

It's only been 2 days but the birds had savaged my balls so I crammed a few more in here and there, working the shafts etc

That was all I really needed to do and I felt pretty lovely by then- Hicks is sadly starting to show signs of getting worse and it's playing hell with my depression/anxiety. I nearly packed up and left then but made the decision to work on regardless.

chopping back some poplar wasn't popular but I kept at it awhile

Then behind that were oak saplings and a few other more developed trees in an area I had considered clearing up.

I just kinda waded into it and got on as best I could.

Lots of picking through bramble to cut out saplings today

Lots of branches to carry and stack too, anything for some distraction.

Didn't harvest much wood but chopped up a few lengths to dry properly- everything else just got piled up for future kindling/bug habitat.

The galls gurls gauls were found on most of the oaks- should have harvested them in retrospect.

Shoulda worn gloves I guess

After that I started clearing out some bush emplacements, pulling out bramble and grass to be ready for spring

Not much to it, but needs to be done.

Got around half of them done before the "gently caress this I'm going home" won out.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DesperateDan posted:

But I stopped for pie and posting. Bit of a fragmented post but its a bit of a fragmented life right now :)

That is most excellent pie.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
Thanks for keeping us updated with this ace thread. Pond's looking good!

Koka Noodles is a pro choice, have you tried the spicy stir-fry or tom yum flavours? Would pair very nicely with a single beer and some manual labour.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Must sadly report Hicks has died- he got worse over the last few days, then late last night had a seizure so I took him to the emergency vets around 2am for the only kind option left. He went out without discomfort, purring away loudly while being fussed and thanked.

He was a constant part of family life for the best part of a decade, and I miss the hell out of that little ginger bastard right now.

Dug out some emergency scotch and called pizzahut, having a wake right now. Little poo poo loved trying to steal pizza. RIP Hicks, 2011-2019

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

Must sadly report Hicks has died- he got worse over the last few days, then late last night had a seizure so I took him to the emergency vets around 2am for the only kind option left. He went out without discomfort, purring away loudly while being fussed and thanked.

He was a constant part of family life for the best part of a decade, and I miss the hell out of that little ginger bastard right now.

Dug out some emergency scotch and called pizzahut, having a wake right now. Little poo poo loved trying to steal pizza. RIP Hicks, 2011-2019

Sorry for your loss. Hicks was a good catte.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

DesperateDan posted:

RIP Hicks, you served him well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Tearing up a bit here. Thank you for giving Hicks a good home and all the love. And for keeping this thread updated.