Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Ok, I beat it. It was really fun.

I left a full Cyclops-worth of 6 Ion Power Cells for someone in my time capsule. I'm gonna do another one full of enameled glass...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

It's funny that the realism types never seemed to have a problem with your oxygen tank lasting a couple minutes.

My favorite "Unrealistic!... Oh, no, that other thing is totally realistic!" player posting outside of SA swerve I remember has to do with Dark matter and Spoiler. People were talking about the idea of salvaging the dark matter reactor's power output for base use. In comes this guy ranting that "Not only would that be overpowered, but Dark matter isn't realistic! It's been disproven as a pipe dream!". Even ignoring that our crashed big ship runs off Dark matter already, when pressed about how unrealistic a game with Spoiler is, they respond "But that IS realistic! Einstein theorized wormholes! :pseudo: " and they probably honestly felt this way.

If "My realism" was ONLY used for a cheap PR spin on your preferences it would be a simple thing to filter. Like the Elite Dangerous devs dismissing tractor beam requests for ore scooping with "Tractor beams are not realistic, and don't fit the lore. We're making an oldschool game." and U turning to "Uh, that wouldn't fit the gameplay we want" when people bring up the set and forget mining machines of the old games that would fit all three of those claimed requirements.

But alas, wildly cherry picked "But realistically-" has no rhyme or reason and will hit even the most fun loving gamer that prefers the most overpowered of bullshit. A recurring trend with one friend in particular. Talk about robin hood style nonlethal takedowns and suddenly it's "But arrows are SHARP! That's not realistic! But you can custom order blunt arrows. Which would of course have worse range because of the poor aerodynamics." But acid vial arrows enchanted to teleport back to you if they miss for reuse? That's fine. (Which is why it's merely perplexing, rather than a problem with him)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 9, 2019

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm not too hung up on realism but it would be cool if you didn't go from full stomach to literally starving to death in like a couple of in game hours.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Ya "MY REALISM" nerds are the absolute worst and arbitrary of nerds. At a certain point their REALISM invalidates the entire premise of the game. As someone who spends time reading tvtropes (I love suffering) there are a ton of entries that boil down to questioning why whoever didn't just do x y and z to make the entire game or movie not happen, as if that is some sort of flaw in the work.

In summery, nerds are awful and should just chill the gently caress out and enjoy punching fish with a mecha.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Wrr posted:

Ya "MY REALISM" nerds are the absolute worst and arbitrary of nerds. At a certain point their REALISM invalidates the entire premise of the game. As someone who spends time reading tvtropes (I love suffering) there are a ton of entries that boil down to questioning why whoever didn't just do x y and z to make the entire game or movie not happen, as if that is some sort of flaw in the work.

In summery, nerds are awful and should just chill the gently caress out and enjoy punching fish with a mecha.

I find a lot of the "My Realism" people don't actually know what they're talking about and make up a lot of stuff.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Night10194 posted:

It's funny that the realism types never seemed to have a problem with your oxygen tank lasting a couple minutes.

Filling them up just because your own breathing apparatus is above the surface is similarly fantastical. But you could probably stitch those two together with just a lil lore...

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Do Ghost Leviathans ever do anything more than screech, headbutt you once and then gently caress off? Lore-wise it's a nice touch that they don't actually want to eat you (they're just really territorial and don't want you to steal their delicious plankton), but they kind of stop being scary once you find out you can pretty much ignore them as long as you keep your distance.

It feels like the Lost River would have been more interesting to explore if it contained something more dangerous than a couple of juvenile Ghosts, like a Sea Dragon or a lost Reaper or something like that.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Section Z posted:

Survey say. "Realism"

"Realism" is a good argument to be against in video games but it's not the case this time. The reason there's no in-game map is game mechanics/atmosphere prefer you to feel lost. I think it's a good idea in hand crafted maps.

Random generation type games... not so much. I feel I've really come around on world generation being a good game mechanic in games. It just makes everything really samey.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 9, 2019

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Found the best time capsule. It was filled with toys and posters.

One of the others I found said "here are some supplies!" and it was empty.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Wasn't there a recent lead on the nature of dark matter? Some wonk about the Baryon asymmetry?

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Back Hack posted:

I find a lot of the "My Realism" people don't actually know what they're talking about and make up a lot of stuff.

You could say "I think that this gameplay change could make the game more fun for me and other players."

Or you could say it in extremely complicated and long-winded way and use spurious logic and handwavy references to "realism" because that means you're not emotional about it, hence the argument is BETTER.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

WarpedNaba posted:

Wasn't there a recent lead on the nature of dark matter? Some wonk about the Baryon asymmetry?

What thread did you mean to post in? This is my kind of poo poo.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

My attempt at translation:

"This world was full of surprises, but left me feeling good, I won't forget a moment of my time spent here, I love you, blue water planet."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That is adorable

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Zesty posted:

The reason there's no in-game map is game mechanics/atmosphere prefer you to feel lost. I think it's a good idea in hand crafted maps.

Totally, and that is why I don't 100% hate the lack of map. But there is a point in the game where the player is no longer actually lost, and the player character likely isn't lost either. Maaaaaybe if we're assuming that the area the game takes place in isn't to scale, and that the what, 4km wide map is 'actually' 40km' or something but there is no reason to think that.

I was lost at the beginning, so I shouldn't have a map and that is good. When I have developed a mental map of the area and feel more comfortable, I should get a map (with fog of war to reveal). Around the time you start to go DEEPER would be fine.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Nice base design too

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

A craftable map module for your PDA or as part of vehicle HUD would be nice as a mid-late game thing. Just makes sense. Even make it so you have to have scanner rooms in the areas to see them, I don't care, it'd just be such an incredible quality of life thing

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Not a Children posted:

A craftable map module for your PDA or as part of vehicle HUD would be nice as a mid-late game thing. Just makes sense. Even make it so you have to have scanner rooms in the areas to see them, I don't care, it'd just be such an incredible quality of life thing

It's called the scanner room. :nallears:

I mean, I get what you all are saying, but a map would have made this game significantly shorter and less interesting. I may be ~old~, but I enjoyed the :airquote: traditional :airquote: feeling of exploring a place and getting to know it, rather than just following an endless series of map markers to the last map marker.
:shrug:

The only thing the map would be truly useful for is locating things I've already found, and the beacons do just fine for that. If you're a completionist and just ~have~ to know where something is: there is an online map you can use (just shift-tab your overlay and look it up, in-game).

https://subnauticamap.io/

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A map with actual co-ordinates would be fine for someone who's trying to find the last few things before putting the game down and moving on.

In other words, for me. I know I can find my co-ordinates another way but you know, would be nice.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Zesty posted:

What thread did you mean to post in? This is my kind of poo poo.

I just remember people screaming about Dark Matter in this thread, and the thing was discussed by me and my uncle at dinner last week.

It would be very cool if we could get a bead on what that poo poo actually is - if it's just a fuckton of WIMPs I'm gonna complain to management.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Just leave beacons titled with nav points (like "-1500, 3000") every .5km. The world becomes the map. Change the color depending on biome. Theoretically, you would only need 49 beacons (minimum) to accomplish this. The ultimate sperglord option.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Once you have the compass HUD you can keep track of every location as a range and bearing from the lifepod. No other navigation aids needed. :colbert:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Strike me as someone else who kinda liked the lack of map. Made you learn the terrain and how the different biomes related to each other. Using the aurora as a reference point to find a wreck I had forgot the location of was a cool moment.

Maybe they should have done something like strategically placed scanner rooms being able to upload the map terrain to your vehicles/seaglide would have been cool though

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Thanks to the advice of "Go Deeper" and "More Scanner Rooms" made a lot of progress last night. Built a scanner room, it showed me where the last scans of the Cyclops were, I built that monstrosity and half of a second base in the mushroom forest.

I'm guessing it's smart enough to not let me put a Power Cell charger in the Cyclops? I was kinda surprised how quickly I burned through the energy and ended up at 66%, wanted to sort out keeping that thing powered before really taking it out. So I got stuck trying to get a nuke for the second base, but ran out of the green mineral for the rod.

Thanks folks!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Once you have the compass HUD you can keep track of every location as a range and bearing from the lifepod. No other navigation aids needed. :colbert:
This is what I stumbled into doing. I have a couple beacons, but they're more effort.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Thank god the later versions of the game no longer have beacon positions be a piece of equipment you have to plug into your helmet like the compass.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

JawnV6 posted:

I'm guessing it's smart enough to not let me put a Power Cell charger in the Cyclops?

You can absolutely do this. It's not a good idea*, but you can.

*It used to be that the efficiency module for the cyclops + a charger allowed you to violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics, which was amusing but also broken.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You can build a thermal power converter mod for the cyclops that lets it charge up while near warm water (volcanic vents usually suffice, and there's a lot of warm water the deeper you go) and that lets it charge up its batteries. You can then use THAT to charge up any spare power cells if you like.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The thermal power converter for the Cyclops is like the penultimate thing you can build in the game though.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

JawnV6 posted:

I was kinda surprised how quickly I burned through the energy and ended up at 66%, wanted to sort out keeping that thing powered before really taking it out. So I got stuck trying to get a nuke for the second base, but ran out of the green mineral for the rod.

Using Silent Running constantly burns a LOT of energy on the Cyclops, the intent is to only use it when you need it (e.g. when you hear dem beasties). That's the most likely culprit for your fast energy drop.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I usually turn the topo map off on the SeaGlide et all, it just sorta gets in the way

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Paracelsus posted:

violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics, which was amusing but also broken.
I'm playing on Freedom, I'd be fine with a broken infinite-power boat.

Podima posted:

Using Silent Running constantly burns a LOT of energy on the Cyclops, the intent is to only use it when you need it (e.g. when you hear dem beasties). That's the most likely culprit for your fast energy drop.
Bingo :v:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I'm glad SR is an increased power drain rather than a timed deployable like it looked like in early access.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Not having a map is better than how most games implement it, where you're constantly interrupting gameplay to check it or navigating via a minimap. Instead you have to use a player-defined system of the Aurora, beacons, and local landmarks.

That said I think a properly implemented world map would strengthen the game. There's a problem towards the end of the midgame where players who know what they're doing increasingly zip between a few beacons they've set and players who have lost the thread don't know where to explore. Something like the hero's path in Breath of the Wild would fix both of these.

I'd implement it like this. The scanner room is now the map room, and comes a bit earlier (being a definite scan in the Aurora in addition to its current locations). Area scanning and drones are optional upgrades and the base cost is lowered to compensate. The room has an interactive 3D map of the world. However, it only shows geometry you've explored or has been area scanned by the map room (interacting with the table will display an "uploading suit data" message) along with beacons, bases, and vehicles. By default your suit records geometry in a radius of 10 meters, which can be permanently upgraded to 20 in the midgame and 30 in the endgame. This means it'll map paths rather than regions and you won't get much by zipping around on the surface. Basically mapping would never reveal anything you hadn't seen. Another upgrade would let you observe predator movement which would then be recorded as a cloud on the map, giving you a general idea of "here there be reapers".

Maybe it could also record where you picked up certain resources, so if you wanted more rubies you could turn on a filter and it would give you a general idea instead so you wouldn't be incentivized to look it up in the wiki.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah I spent something like 2 hours exploring and while I found things I didn't find the lost river until someone on here said where it was. Turns out i'd gone past it about 4 times and not noticed the entrance.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I've beaten this game (and had many abandoned playthroughs) and still haven't seen whatever biome the silt striders are in. I didn't know they existed until I read this thread.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

TTBF posted:

I've beaten this game (and had many abandoned playthroughs) and still haven't seen whatever biome the silt striders are in. I didn't know they existed until I read this thread.

Their biome is rather small, and so they are easy to miss.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

TTBF posted:

Their biome is near the crater edge if I remember right.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Count me in as someone who only found the striders because I specifically went looking for them.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Podima posted:

Count me in as someone who only found the striders because I specifically went looking for them.

I don't know if the game was scripted this way or not, but the first time I encountered a strider was also the exact moment the psychic communication thingy happened for the first time so I just assumed the striders were the super intelligent beings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The first time I encountered a strider was the first time I saw a warper and I thought warpers came directly out of strider butts.