Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

selec posted:

I'm not sure how those play out. I mean, they have three daughters, who they paid for their college, and have supported their careers. To them, they're super pro-woman. When their granddaughter wanted to learn to hunt, they bought her a bow so she could go out with her dad.

They live in a different context than we do. I think the headscarf thing is very appropriate that way: muslim women embrace the headscarf. My MIL chose, for herself, to stop wearing the doily. She worked out of the house and shares decisions with FIL pretty evenly.

They would look at me like I'd stepped off a UFO if I called them anti-woman. It's just contextually insanity to them; they know people who believe women shouldn't work outside the home, or that modesty should be enforced. They see those people, and say "that's anti-woman." To them, they're hitting all the modern liberal societal marks. They just have different opinions about how sexuality should be treated. They held their son to those same standards, in fact.

Hell, I was raised by liberal ex-hippies, and I got told that sex is special, and that I should probably wait until I was in a committed relationship, and that I was going to see a lot of messages out in the world that glorified it, and that those messages were not realistic. In a modern context, aspects of that are sex negative.

I don't have an answer for you except the ethnographic one.

Okay, but you've said that these people (who I'm sure are indeed very nice in a lot of ways) vote Republican pretty much exclusively so they can control what women do with their uteri, which is kind of textbook anti-woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

heyitsamanda posted:

I'm not saying his family are across the board assholes, and he's given several examples that point quite to the contrary. But even institutionalized racism and bigotry are, well, still racism and bigotry. And I get the Fox News/Right Wing Media disinformation and propaganda machine. But when confronted (or not confronted in this case) with the gaping logic holes and hypocrisy in views commonly held by GOP voters such as his family, their response to them with hostility is also indicative of the type of person who falls back on their predisposed points of view over factual evidence.

In either case, it's totally not unreasonable to just act like an adult and point it out in the same way you'd point out any other kind of crude or morally unsound action you come across. It's really not much more complicated than that. And if you don't wanna bother, it's your family and your life. The problem is trying to defend the latter with any sort of moral justification or appeal for sympathy from people who are actively disenfranchised by the people you are defending and ceding your testicular fortitude towards for the sake of preserving your relationships with them. And this forum and thread have a lot of those people posting here.

:agreed: Plus posting about it so much here to justify it kinda-sorta hints at some cognitive dissonance between the personal values he knows he should have, and his desire to not rock the boat with the in-laws.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Akumu posted:

With 21st century technology!

Trump probably thinks migrant women and children are far more dangerous than Hamas ...

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
I mean, at this point, Trump declares emergency, it's blocked by courts, gov't resumes, is probably the best political path for the Republicans.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

it must be great being graham and not having an ounce of shame. thats gotta be a world record flip flop.

I'm afraid it's only a close second to his "TRUMP'S THE WORST, DON'T VOTE FOR HIM" => "Oh wait haha just kidding vote Trump I support everything we does!"

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1083491987712606208

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

GreyjoyBastard posted:

just fyi this is an angle i consider genuinely kinda dangerous to propose to these folks

because there's a small but nonzero chance one of 'em will go "you know what, you're right!" and whoopsie you've radicalized a terrorist

Well, yeah. So you keep going: it's all just politics. They know it's not wrong. If they thought it was wouldn't they have stopped it by now? They just say it's so important, more than housing the homeless and curing the sick and feeding the hungry and welcoming the stranger, so you'll keep voting for them.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1083513840418066432

This is hours after Trump declined Graham’s suggestion that he offer DACA in exchange lol

Lindsey Graham has clearly decided that the party can no longer be saved from Trumpism and plans take up Trumps mantle once he's gone to secure personal power. Its the only thing that explains his behavior since the midterms. He saw that the Chud community had been fooled into thinking one of the RINOs finally Red Pilled by his performance with Brett Beerman, and is going all in because hes the only R with both credibility among the party establishment AND his foot in the door to the cult.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

selec posted:

I absolutely am. I'm a staunch anti-capitalist. I absolutely believe that we live in a racial caste system. I think that our foreign policy is a horror show and that any excuse for overseas militarism is the product of a long-term propaganda project from the MIC. Run down the checklist, and I'm there with you.

I just don't think you've got a realistic project of anti-racism going. i think you're LARPing it, is what I'm saying.

An anti-racist project that offers no understanding of how those people got there, the people who functionally have racial opinions no different from Democratic voters in their age cohort, isn't a realistic undertaking.

Like I have been saying, it's complicated, but I'm not worrying too much if I'm hitting the marks for you.

I understand the hesitancy to rock the boat with your family members, especially in laws. I get it. But that still is not an excuse to not speak up, and I will explain why: even if all of that effort is fruitless in changing their minds, children are still involved. There are children who are growing up in those homes seeing behavior that will shape their world, their perception and their value. They are being fed lies without their own consent or ability to protect themselves. My own family is extremely evangelical and right wing, but they are generally kind and giving people. But those positives are not worth ignoring the ignorance/bigotry. I have a son who I want to see shaped into a kind individual who views humanity through inclusive and equality seeking eyes. You can confront racism and evil without being cruel. Using my own experiences, I heard an uncle of mine bitching about #MeToo and Kavanaugh, blaming women for not asking for help. I didn't call him a loving dickhole. Instead, I calmly told him of an assault that happened to me and asked how he could've been brave enough to seek help if it happened to him. He tried making excuses, but for a brief second I saw him doubt himself and he had to work harder to accept his position.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Z. Autobahn posted:

I mean, at this point, Trump declares emergency, it's blocked by courts, gov't resumes, is probably the best political path for the Republicans.

Yeah, that's why Graham and company are pushing it. It lets them move the ball away from them and just makes it another Trump vs the Courts battle. Its the only way they save face in this besides Dems just folding.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Majorian posted:

:agreed: Plus posting about it so much here to justify it kinda-sorta hints at some cognitive dissonance between the personal values he knows he should have, and his desire to not rock the boat with the in-laws.

Well, he did imply everyone was "virtual signaling" being anti racist.

selec posted:

I just don't think you've got a realistic project of anti-racism going. i think you're LARPing it, is what I'm saying.

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Captain Oblivious posted:

They just want to hurt people because they're afraid.

You didn't read anything, and you don't know anything about humanity either.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tibalt posted:

What, uh... what the gently caress Graham.

Are you trying to... jesus, I don't get the game here. I feel like "Trump declares himself Dictator" is the sort of thing that 54 Presidents-to-be might take a bit offense to.

Graham is a camera and attention hound, nothing more. He hoped to be able to be the face of the GOP negotiating a grand DACA deal but that fell through and he's rushing to be the face of the GOP kowtowing to Trump's crazy emergency declaration idea.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

Yikes, missed that one.:stare:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

I don't know if you are making a typo or a joke about it being online

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

selec posted:

You didn't read anything, and you don't know anything about humanity either.

Your wife's family wants to control women because they have authoritarian tendencies hope this helps.

I mean it sucks but it is what it is and burying your head in the sand ain't gonna do any good.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shifty Pony posted:

Graham is a camera and attention hound, nothing more.

looking at cameras, LIKE A DOG

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I flew out of Seattle this past summer and they rolled out a new checkpoint system because poo poo is nuts. You know what they changed? I didn't have to take off my drat shoes, they were only using metal detectors, and they just had us shove everything into a bin and not taking anything out. Took me 20 minutes to get through the most insane line I've ever seen start to finish. So the answer to your question is yes, what they're doing is useless and if there are fewer of them doing it and they reduce their useless bullshit then you move through just as quickly because it's all for show. In Seattle Pre-check is just a shorter line at this point.

That's because they have a dog line - you walk past a sniffer dog and that's supposedly good enough to let us go back to pre-underwear-bomber screening.

Speaking of flying, the last time I was on a plane, my flight had left San Diego en route to Seattle 10 minutes before that crazy guy stole a plane to go do loop-de-loops in. The airport's airspace was only shut down for like 2 hours but the aftermath was amazing. My flight got diverted to Yakima for 3 hours and I didn't get in to SeaTac until about 1am. At the baggage claim there were piles and piles of luggage everywhere piled higher than a person. They ran out of carousels so my flight's bags were in a giant pile at the end of the claim area. People trying to get to the airport to pick up family/friends was backed up clear to hwy 518, there was a line 40 people deep all waiting on ride shares. The light rail usually shuts at 1am but continued to run that night to get people out of the airport.

All that for an airspace closure of 2 hours. Once the TSA stops coming to work its going to be the most glorious cluster gently caress ever.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't know if you are making a typo or a joke about it being online

Eh, probably should have said faking. Using irony properly isn't my forte.

E: poo poo. I just saw my typo. Add blind to that list I guess.

Uncleanly Cleric fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 11, 2019

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Crow Jane posted:

Okay, but you've said that these people (who I'm sure are indeed very nice in a lot of ways) vote Republican pretty much exclusively so they can control what women do with their uteri, which is kind of textbook anti-woman.

Yeah, I agree. I'm just saying, in an ethnographic context, you take people at their word for how their understanding of the world works. You have to accept they believe God is real and that fetuses are babies if you want to understand them.

We're applying standards for understanding this group that would be considered barbaric and colonialist if applied to any other ethnographic study.

In fact, if you read the work of scholars who do study groups like my in-laws live in, they're sympathetic and take on that ethnographic standard I'm describing, much like scholars who study Muslim standards of modesty do.

They don't see themselves as anti-woman, they see themselves as pro-human, pro-life. We can decide they're not, but it doesn't make it true for them. And if you want to convince somebody, you'll have much more success going at it understanding and speaking to them in the context they accept about themselves than approaching them with hostility towards the way in which they view the world.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I think Graham kind of knows what he’s doing. I think he’s resigned himself to the fact that Trump won’t sign anything and sees a National Emergency where he gets his wall money that way as the only path toward the government reopening.

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Majorian posted:

I do have cognitive dissonance about it, that's why I lean into trying to understand it. I have that dissonance about Muslim standards of modesty, too, which is why I lean into trying to listen to women who believe the headcovering makes sense for them. Who am I to tell them they're wrong about a culture I'm not part of? I don't agree with them on some things, but on other things, they are amazing human beings that I can learn from. It's a complicated relationship and it's only enriched my life to be forced to confront this duality.

I maintain my personal values, but those values include loving my loved ones and finding a way to forgive. That's one of the things I've learned from their Christianity. I'm an atheist who used to be much more edgy about religion than I am now, and part of that is seeing them live their values in ways other Christians don't, including a genuine love for other human beings on those because of/despite of terms I spoke of earlier.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Someone in the responses found a more appropriate Trump comparison than Trump is Palpatine

https://twitter.com/Invisichad/status/1083498853184098307

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I wish Graham would just get put into a home

He's a racist, war mongering, sexist, pathological piece of poo poo. I don't even consider him human

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Hastings posted:

I understand the hesitancy to rock the boat with your family members, especially in laws. I get it. But that still is not an excuse to not speak up, and I will explain why: even if all of that effort is fruitless in changing their minds, children are still involved. There are children who are growing up in those homes seeing behavior that will shape their world, their perception and their value. They are being fed lies without their own consent or ability to protect themselves. My own family is extremely evangelical and right wing, but they are generally kind and giving people. But those positives are not worth ignoring the ignorance/bigotry. I have a son who I want to see shaped into a kind individual who views humanity through inclusive and equality seeking eyes. You can confront racism and evil without being cruel. Using my own experiences, I heard an uncle of mine bitching about #MeToo and Kavanaugh, blaming women for not asking for help. I didn't call him a loving dickhole. Instead, I calmly told him of an assault that happened to me and asked how he could've been brave enough to seek help if it happened to him. He tried making excuses, but for a brief second I saw him doubt himself and he had to work harder to accept his position.

There are no children growing up in their home. Read my posts again, because you didn't when you wrote this.

Kale
May 14, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

jesus they literally cannot stop talking about her. it's almost trumpian in their inability to focus on anything else, ever.

Seemingly nobody can stop talking about her. Youd think she was the speaker of the house as opposed to a fiest week house rep from New York the way everybody is always scrutinizing her every word one way or another. It feels like she's been a house rep for years rather than days.

Kale fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 11, 2019

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh Graham absolutely recognizes that declaring an emergency is a stupid thing to do and will get sued quick. He even admits he doesn't even know if a majority in the senate will support it. He's given up is all this is. "Ok, fine, do whatever you want, I'm going to the gym" is hardly the rallying cry of a true believer. (In the declare emergency for wall scheme, at least).

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Someone in the responses found a more appropriate Trump comparison than Trump is Palpatine

https://twitter.com/Invisichad/status/1083498853184098307

I strongly object to that tweet associating Trump with international treasure Brian Blessed.:argh:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

What kind of bizarro timeline am I living in?
Tucker Carlson just went on TV and denounced capitalism and libertarianism.

https://www.vox.com/2019/1/10/18171912/tucker-carlson-fox-news-populism-conservatism-trump-gop

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

https://www.vox.com/2019/1/10/18171912/tucker-carlson-fox-news-populism-conservatism-trump-gop

He's been doing it for a little while now, but through a right-wing, "Other races are the problem" lens. He's a Strasserist, through-and-through.

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Kraftwerk posted:

Most of the reforms that we see as progressive were oftentimes liberal or even conservative responses to the pressures of leftist agitation that could no longer be ignored. In this way, Tucker's just a leading indicator. Now, he'd definitely prefer Socialism But For White People, but it's a sign overall that the left is making inroads. The negotiations have begun.

The first social welfare program of any meaningful scale was started by a hyperconservative German Kaiser, to give some context. He just knew that letting the opposition own that issue was even more destructive to his goals than granting some of their demands on his terms would be.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1083513840418066432

This is hours after Trump declined Graham’s suggestion that he offer DACA in exchange lol

I love that the Republicans, rather than defy dear leader and just say "gently caress you, open the government," like responsible adults, have decided to just go full Hindenburg and let Trump make up his own Reichstag Fire, because heaven forbid the base of knuckle dragging, racist, bigoted, garbage troglodytes won't like it!

gently caress everything

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
You think Trump would trade the life of his first born son for the wall?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

selec posted:

There are no children growing up in their home. Read my posts again, because you didn't when you wrote this.

you have made 105 posts in the last 9 hours

log off

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump would trade the life of his son for a bucket of KFC.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He'd trade jr for a big mac, who are you kidding?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Crabtree posted:

"GOVERNMENT GIVES OUT TIPS TO WORKERS NOT EARNING PAY: WATCH KIDS, HAVE A GARAGE SALE, FIND A SECOND JOB THAT DOESN'T INTERFERE WITH YOUR WORK FOR US."

Why don't we just take away the senator's collective pay and give it to the TSA. They ain't really doing poo poo right now and they can live without their senator pay.

Wait holy poo poo are they getting paid still? Not that its very life or death for your average senator or congressperson, so I just assumed they were willing to forgo it temporarily for this political theater. If they are getting paid and your average federal employee is not, how the gently caress are people not rioting in the streets yet, that's some Marie Antoinette level bullshit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

selec posted:

Most of the reforms that we see as progressive were oftentimes liberal or even conservative responses to the pressures of leftist agitation that could no longer be ignored. In this way, Tucker's just a leading indicator. Now, he'd definitely prefer Socialism But For White People, but it's a sign overall that the left is making inroads. The negotiations have begun.

The first social welfare program of any meaningful scale was started by a hyperconservative German Kaiser, to give some context. He just knew that letting the opposition own that issue was even more destructive to his goals than granting some of their demands on his terms would be.

Stop applying reason and logic to anything Tucker Carlson does, please.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Majorian posted:

I strongly object to that tweet associating Trump with international treasure Brian Blessed.:argh:

Boss Nass may have been closed minded amd isolationist at first, but when his nation had an opportunity put in front of it he recognized the value of international alliances and worked together with a former enemy for the greater good of his people. Thanks to his leadership his people gained peace and prosperity like never before at home and gained a seat at the table of intergalactic affairs many species could only dream about! Truly, comparing him to Trump is the gravest of insults. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

theflyingorc posted:

you have made 105 posts in the last 9 hours

log off

It was a slow day at work, and I have a lot to say about this topic. This has honestly been a super interesting conversation to me, probably for different reasons than it has been for you all.