Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Mmmm, I would just go to whatever agency's website you're making a payment to and see how they prefer payment. I've never heard of needing a Tax ID to make a payment to any business/agency before though. That's sort like asking do I need someone's SSN to write them a check.

Short Answer: I don't think they do, but even if they did you wouldn't need it to make a payment to one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Murderball posted:

Anybody got bingo?

"AM I TOO OLD FOR ACCOUNTING!?"

--College Sophmore

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Hey y'all! My co-worker is considering becoming an EA; has anyone around here done that exam? How long did you study for it/what materials did you use? TIA!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Yesterday, my client gave me a $50 gift card to a local pizzeria because I helped them get out of owing money to the IRS. He was a really nice guy. I don't know why, but that really made my day! :)

black.lion posted:

Hey y'all! My co-worker is considering becoming an EA; has anyone around here done that exam? How long did you study for it/what materials did you use? TIA!

I'm actually studying for that right now. So I can't tell you how long I studied yet. But I'm using fast forward Academy because that's what my firm offers for free. From what I read so far, the EA exam seems pretty simple. If you regularly prepare taxes for a living, I think you can pass it. I mean I haven't taken the exam yet, but a lot of knowledge is stuff that you have to know to do the job.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The gifts just keep on coming. Clients are really thankful. I've gotten so much chocolate that I feel like I'm going to die from diabetes. And someone just gave me a liter of Johnny Walker Black. I have to say that this is really nice. This is the first time in my entire career that my clients have said thanks to me for my work and are giving me gifts. It really feels nice.

I feel that's relevant since this is a thread about talking about the career and if you work in public with smaller clients this is what's going to happen.

I will also say that this week the problem employee got removed for bad behavior, poor performance, and insubordination. And I have never been happier at work. It's quiet, I can focus on my work, and I don't have a person pissing me off every second of the day. Every one of my co-workers I like now.

Which, speaking of which, we have a new guy who came in. He's my employee and I've come into a mentor role. It's very interesting working with somebody who has very little experience in the field but is generally interested in getting better. It's shocking to think how much I learned in 3 years and I only am really noticing it now that I am trying to teach someone everything. It's not like he's a blank slate, he has four busy seasons of experience from working at his father's firm. But he has very little experience working on businesses. And it's just very interesting walking him through everything. And he's catching it all really fast and it's very impressive. It really surprised me how much clients are just okay with me introducing him and have him sit in on meetings and the such. I really hope he feels at home and that he's enjoying his work because I think he's a great fit.

If you ever have the chance to be in a mentor role at your job, I would suggest it. It's very nice.

With all the gifts, the problem employee being fired, and this new Mentor position and the fact that I was able to get the week of Christmas off, I have never been happier at my job and I feel really content and in control now.

Covok fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 15, 2018

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Congrats mr. covok god bless :unsmith:

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Glad its all working out for you finally Covok, you've certainly put up witrh some grief so its good that it sounds like its resolved for the most part.

--/--

A question for any AusGoons who might be in the thread; I've just got into the CPA, but have to do 3/6 of the foundation subjects (Financial Accounting and Reporting, Fundamentals of Business Law & Management Accounting) it says on the website that these are self paced, but i want to know actually how long they should take...

Anyone done them recently?

I have worked in banking and finance for 10 years, of which 3 was in home lending, 1.5 in commercial lending and 2 and a bit as a treasury analyst. I have a bit of (practical) experience in financials, reporting and journals.

The other CPA and CAs that I work for have had theirs for years, so they arent super helpful when it comes to how hard/long these take?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

black.lion posted:

I used the PassKey books because I was on my own and they were the cheapest. I studied for three months and took all three sections in the same week and passed all of them. I got my CPA a few years later but I was working in tax so the EA did help me get started.

Covok, glad to hear poo poo is working out for you! Are you not a CPA? I wouldn't bother getting the EA if you're already a CPA but it's worth getting if you know CPA is a few years away or just not in your future at all. I don't put EA on my business cards or e-mail signature at this point. Just CPA, even though I technically could do CPA, EA, Esq., but I think I'd look like a toolbag doing that.

I came in here to talk about the 2018 1040 redesign :(

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

For CPE I'm going to do one of those self study package deals. They give you a PDF and you can ctr+f your way through the exam usually. You can get through 40 hours in a work day or less.

CPE is kind of stupid because no matter what you're learning as you go. So I look at it as a formality.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

I came in here to talk about the 2018 1040 redesign :(

Its a postcard!!!

just staple these 4 schedules to the back of it look what an improvement

:psyboom:

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Haha, this is gonna be great! It looks like we wont have instructions for the new 5471s either. GILTI is going to make this season a special one for my group.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

PatMarshall posted:

Haha, this is gonna be great! It looks like we wont have instructions for the new 5471s either. GILTI is going to make this season a special one for my group.

Just fill out whatever parts you want, what’s the IRS going to do? Fine your client $10,000?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Oh boy, it’s BD+1, welcome to hell, calendar year end friends!

I’ll be tracking my hours yet again this year end, and I’ll post up a comparison from 4Q17 when I was in a different department vs 3/4Q18 now that I’m part of consolidation, management and external reporting. I’m expecting 60+ a week.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

What possesses people to quit a job without giving any notice? One of my two staff accountants just didn't show to work the other day and sent an email to HR saying we could forward a check for their unused PTO (lol)

Anyways, guess I'm doing the work of two people for the next couple of months all while also sifting through resumes and conducting interviews. I'm going to get so fat this busy season...

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

untzthatshit posted:

What possesses people to quit a job without giving any notice? One of my two staff accountants just didn't show to work the other day and sent an email to HR saying we could forward a check for their unused PTO (lol)

Anyways, guess I'm doing the work of two people for the next couple of months all while also sifting through resumes and conducting interviews. I'm going to get so fat this busy season...

I'm actually hoping to quit my current job soon and I've got to give 3 months notice according to my contract. Not working it would be one of the only ways to manage to get yourself a (formal) bad reference other than literally being fired.

Thing is I'm booked onto an audit that is going to take me up until the end of February and then I'm on nothing and they probably will have nothing to have me do, so I'm basically going to play the "well if you want me to go early that's fine but I'm not taking any of my annual leave so you'll have to pay me for that".

I have a week from last year and by the end of February I would have accrued another 3/4 days so I'll get a couple of thousand pounds for that.

Since they have treated me pretty poorly I'm happy to basically say "I'm happy to sit around for a month doing nothing while you pay me, so give me a reason to agree to a shorter notice period".

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 5, 2019

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
3 months, holy cow!

One of the analysts in another dept put in notice on Wed. He'll be gone before his reporting is done, his team is stoked. I am also stoked because some of his tasks are headed to my team. We have someone else who will handle it, but I will be overseeing it. JOY. No pay raise, just more tasks!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

SiGmA_X posted:

3 months, holy cow!

One of the analysts in another dept put in notice on Wed. He'll be gone before his reporting is done, his team is stoked. I am also stoked because some of his tasks are headed to my team. We have someone else who will handle it, but I will be overseeing it. JOY. No pay raise, just more tasks!

3 months is fairly standard in the UK for a job like this.

Essentially lower level jobs like when I worked in a call centre will have 1 month notice, more senior/professional jobs will have 3 months. When you get to the real big time it's 6 months or longer.

I guess it's fair in my mind because unlike the US it's generally harder to fire people here (with some exceptions) so making sure your staff can't waltz out of the building in the middle of a big project is a good idea.

On the other hand, if I was an employer I'd basically want the person quitting to leave ASAP. Like you have someone in your team and best case scenario they've worked hard for you and just found a much better opportunity that they can't turn down, they are super grateful for everything you've done for them and they are sorry to be leaving, but realistically their mind is going to be drawn towards this new exciting opportunity the longer their notice period goes on. Worst case scenario they are like me and resent my manager/the work and they will do the bare minimum to get by for 3 months and won't give a poo poo.

The only place I've ever worked that made me work until the end of my notice period was in practice, but for the last 2 weeks they assigned me to no jobs, so I just started "working from home" as literally no one had any work to give me. My manager had a go at me and I pointed out I'm just sat in the office twiddling my thumbs, and it's a bad look for me and a bad look for them. In the end they put me on paid gardening leave for the last week.

I just view it as it's just business. They wouldn't give a second thought to making you redundant just before christmas if the business reason for doing that was there, and you have to be professional but don't bend over backwards for them, and they can't expect you to really give a poo poo if you're leaving in the same way you can't expect them to give a poo poo about you if they lay you off.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

SiGmA_X posted:

3 months, holy cow!

If you think that is bad, the industry standard at the Big4 in Germany is "3 months to the end of the next quarter", so your actual notice period will be between 3 and 6 months. :v:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Randler posted:

If you think that is bad, the industry standard at the Big4 in Germany is "3 months to the end of the next quarter", so your actual notice period will be between 3 and 6 months. :v:

Poor Germans. I guess you need to plan your leaving timing a whole lot better. Do all the Big 4 firms there have workers council though? My company's office there has one and it seems to curb the worst of the management making trash decisions for their employees.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Everything is already completely off the rails and busy season wasn’t even supposed to have started yet.

Should’ve quit when I had the chance

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Good Citizen posted:

Everything is already completely off the rails and busy season wasn’t even supposed to have started yet.

Should’ve quit when I had the chance
Yes. 13hr today. Saved my company half my salary in actual cash, and prevented a sure audit finding. Go me. Both only exist because the people directly responsible for this stuff are bad at their jobs, but still, it was a win.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

So for my first out of local trip for a payroll audit I am getting to go out to scenic Fairbanks, AK in March.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

8 days into January and my clients are already calling like their hair is on fire for nearly nothing

only 13 weeks left :suicide:

e: Hey does anyone here work in a small firm? We're having the discussion rn about how to adjust our per-form pricing to accommodate this fantastic new.... ahem... "postcard" and its accompanying 47 schedules. Just curious if anyone else is doing the same sort of adjustments rn and how they're handling it, PM me if so I'd love to get some outside-my-office opinions! Thanks love y'all :glomp:

black.lion fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 8, 2019

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I have an interview on Thursday with an investment firm. Am desperately researching as much about trust funds and general asset management as possible. They know I have no experience in auditing asset management companies but there's a big difference between "has no experience on CV" and "No seriously, this guy has NO experience of what we do".

I'm hoping to get the CFSA designation while I'm there, and maybe even an actual accounting qualification. Who knows?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Kitchner posted:

I have an interview on Thursday with an investment firm. Am desperately researching as much about trust funds and general asset management as possible. They know I have no experience in auditing asset management companies but there's a big difference between "has no experience on CV" and "No seriously, this guy has NO experience of what we do".

I'm hoping to get the CFSA designation while I'm there, and maybe even an actual accounting qualification. Who knows?
My last role was in our investment accounting team at an insurance company who self administers something like 30bn of bonds and mortgages and a half billion (and growing) of derivatives. Derivatives, Separate Account (NAIC reporting, kill me now), and sr mgt reporting were my main tasks, but I was brought into everything. I started fresh out of school and knew about as much as our 2nd/3rd year auditors. So I’d say you’ll be fine lol.

What experience do you have thus far? What are your prospective career goals? I’d suggest CPA over CFSA, and then maybe CFSA after.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

SiGmA_X posted:

My last role was in our investment accounting team at an insurance company who self administers something like 30bn of bonds and mortgages and a half billion (and growing) of derivatives. Derivatives, Separate Account (NAIC reporting, kill me now), and sr mgt reporting were my main tasks, but I was brought into everything. I started fresh out of school and knew about as much as our 2nd/3rd year auditors. So I’d say you’ll be fine lol.

What experience do you have thus far? What are your prospective career goals? I’d suggest CPA over CFSA, and then maybe CFSA after.

I work in Internal Audit, and I've got like 7 years experience in audit and the CIA designation, spent some time in Risk Advisory for a "top 6" firm as well as experience in industry. The place I was working turned a bit poo poo about 6 months ago so I started looking at options and realised like for every non-financial services job in London there's like 10 financial services ones, but they all require prior experience with financial services to even consider you.

So my plan was either get a step up to manager, or side step into the same role but into an FS firm. Interviewed twice for this job which is a side step in role and a big step down in company (going from an audit team in a €41bn revenue a year company to an investment firm managing less than £10bn of other people's money), but I'll be the right hand to the head of audit, help a lot with the audit committee stuff, and can get the CFSA designation.

I didn't enter the profession via an accountancy firm so I never ended up doing an accountancy qualification because I find accounting boring (in the UK you do any bachelors degree + 3 years of study to get ACA/ACCA/CIMA). However one recruiter, who was an arsehole but still accurate, pointed out while internal auditors don't need to be accountants, most Heads of Audit are accountants because the job market just sort of goes for it. So have been considering doing that too as I get to skip a bunch of exams thanks to the CIA designation, would still take 2 years though.

I think CFSA is like a 12-18 months qualification, and CIMA/ACCA (ACA is only for public accounting firms) would be like 2 years, so in like 3-4 years I could be CIMA/ACCA, CIA, CFSA and as this firm is growing super fast hopefully hit manager level. Then I can see how things look at the firm, or side step back into a bigger company as I already have like 3-4 years in bluechip companies and the accounting practice experience.

That's the plan anyway, I didn't think my manager at this job would be replaced with a bitch and that the department would start going off the rails but it has done, so I guess you never know what the future holds.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Kitchner posted:

Just keep saying “AUM” and “ROI” and “IRR” and I’m sure they’ll hire you if my experience with asset management tax tells me anything

Also, good luck!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Just keep saying “AUM” and “ROI” and “IRR” and I’m sure they’ll hire you if my experience with asset management tax tells me anything

Also, good luck!

Thanks, the guy interviewing me is their head of audit, Risk, and Compliance and they have all their staff profiles online. Says he was in the Big 4 in their asset management section, then worked for UBS, and now here. So my stratgey is going to be totally 0 bullshit and just admit I only know the surface level stuff about asset management but I know a lot about audit and I wanted to work in a smaller more entrepreneurial organisation, and that I've worked in a newly established internal audit team before so I have an idea of some of the challenges we will face.

Its a bit of a gamble but if I manage to join, get the qualifications, and hit manager position, I should be in a good position I guess.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

black.lion posted:

8 days into January and my clients are already calling like their hair is on fire for nearly nothing

only 13 weeks left :suicide:

e: Hey does anyone here work in a small firm? We're having the discussion rn about how to adjust our per-form pricing to accommodate this fantastic new.... ahem... "postcard" and its accompanying 47 schedules. Just curious if anyone else is doing the same sort of adjustments rn and how they're handling it, PM me if so I'd love to get some outside-my-office opinions! Thanks love y'all :glomp:

:warning this is all my opinion:

Per form is a terrible way to bill. Its a strong reinforcement that all you are is a commodity that can be shopped around. Sending the rest in a PM.

edit: For some reason it took me 2 weeks to realize that the IRS is obviously a goverment entity and that they will not be issuing final regs because they are not getting paid ....hahaha :chaostrump: :suicide: :suicide:

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 10, 2019

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
The shutdown is the US accountant's final chance to adopt IFRS when no one is looking.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Yeah, we'll hop right on that directly after our conversion to the metric system.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
The SEC is also shuttered which has transformed my life from the standard unwaking nightmare to an infinitely recursive hellscape

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Kitchner posted:

The shutdown is the US accountant's final chance to adopt IFRS when no one is looking.

And subject ourselves to those ugly balance sheets with PPE & Intangibles at the top? No thanks.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

:warning this is all my opinion:

Per form is a terrible way to bill. Its a strong reinforcement that all you are is a commodity that can be shopped around. Sending the rest in a PM.

edit: For some reason it took me 2 weeks to realize that the IRS is obviously a goverment entity and that they will not be issuing final regs because they are not getting paid ....hahaha :chaostrump: :suicide: :suicide:

We actually got 5471 instructions during the shutdown, so at least some of those folks must be deemed essential and are still working!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I'm so excited to adopt both IFRS 9 and CECL, as well as move our year end to 3/31 for the consolidated entity while maintaining 12/31 for the three NAIC entities and throwing in a few 12/31 GAAP entities also because of the other investors.

The USA sucks. I wish we all could adopt IFRS and metric. I try to use metric as much as possible.

Y'all use R1C1 in Excel, right?

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000

Harry posted:

And subject ourselves to those ugly balance sheets with PPE & Intangibles at the top? No thanks.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

SiGmA_X posted:

I'm so excited to adopt both IFRS 9 and CECL, as well as move our year end to 3/31 for the consolidated entity while maintaining 12/31 for the three NAIC entities and throwing in a few 12/31 GAAP entities also because of the other investors.

The USA sucks. I wish we all could adopt IFRS and metric. I try to use metric as much as possible.

Y'all use R1C1 in Excel, right?

It's the only way to write nice in R420C69

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I think this thread is most likely to give me an answer to this: what are the SOX rules around reading text files into excel? I've seen three distinct ways of doing it, but is there a way that is SOX approved, or does it not matter as much as I think?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Hoshi posted:

I think this thread is most likely to give me an answer to this: what are the SOX rules around reading text files into excel? I've seen three distinct ways of doing it, but is there a way that is SOX approved, or does it not matter as much as I think?

I've never seen a requirement beyond "make sure it's accurate" and "make sure it can't be tampered with" when it comes to a data transfer.

So the ideal would be that one system deposits a file in a folder unaccessible to normal users (I.e. System and IT Admin only) and the other system automatically uploads it. Then at least for a while, I'd reconcile system 1 and system 2 to ensure the transfer is accurate, but with time proving this works it wouldn't be needed.

If you have to manually upload the file then you basically always need an independent check and reconciliation to ensure the data was entered accurately and that it hadn't been tampered with.

Other than that I'm not aware of any specific requirements in detail on how this has to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Kitchner posted:

I've never seen a requirement beyond "make sure it's accurate" and "make sure it can't be tampered with" when it comes to a data transfer.

So the ideal would be that one system deposits a file in a folder unaccessible to normal users (I.e. System and IT Admin only) and the other system automatically uploads it. Then at least for a while, I'd reconcile system 1 and system 2 to ensure the transfer is accurate, but with time proving this works it wouldn't be needed.

If you have to manually upload the file then you basically always need an independent check and reconciliation to ensure the data was entered accurately and that it hadn't been tampered with.

Other than that I'm not aware of any specific requirements in detail on how this has to be done.
Which basically rules out using Excel as the destination system, right?