Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Oh poo poo I know that femur church, they have great perogies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I could never find the bloodstained mattress that's supposedly the trapdoor, so I wouldn't know.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
ok - genuine question

what percentage of flat-earthers do you think are either

1) just having fun with an intellectual challenge of "how far can I stretch this silly concept and be sort of consistent" or

2) flat-out shitposters trolling each other, each thinking that the others are gullible morons

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think a lot of them started out as both and then trolled themselves into believing it (I think this happened with a lot of Trump memelords in 2016 too)

You become what you pretend to be.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

predicto posted:

ok - genuine question

what percentage of flat-earthers do you think are either

1) just having fun with an intellectual challenge of "how far can I stretch this silly concept and be sort of consistent" or

2) flat-out shitposters trolling each other, each thinking that the others are gullible morons

Someone who approaches it as as "alternate science" is much more likely to be playing around than someone who approaches it as religion-based, but still less than you think. If they're otherwise rational and sane and are spouting off flat earth facts? Yeah, they're playing around. But most of them believe a whole slew of other conspiracy theories and are very vocal about them.

The flat earth group I'm observing has 40k members, but only a handful post on a regular basis (maybe 20 people) , and most of them are just batshit crazy. I've looked at their public profiles where they're trying to educate the sheeple and seen some heartbreaking pleas from friends and family members.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Look here's a thread about a dude being radicalized in real time

https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1083437810634248193

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Yeah, a Nikon 900 or something. They think one specific camera, made by a mega corporation, has the correct lens to see the truth.

I assume it uses the same lens technology seen on the glasses in the documentary "They Live"?

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
I've been thinking I should start a kickstarter for an expedition to the ice wall to determine whether the earth is flat. I'd bring along one of their "researchers" to navigate and ensure that we're going true North and not using GPS. I could even bring along an ice wall climbing expert for when we get there. I'd even steam the whole thing so we can break the news to the world live. Of course I would only pay myself a modest salary as mission commander and would keep an open mind about our findings. All I need is a ship captain with a sense of humor.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I think you’re going to need a more clever grift than that. If any of these guys were willing to shell out significant dough for stuff like that it would have happened a decade or more ago.

Maybe with some really good marketing. What’s Sandy Roberts schedule like these days?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was curious how that Nikon camera supposedly proves a flat earth, so I googled it and found a quora page and I was not prepared for the level of insanity in the comments.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-flat-earthers-believe-that-a-Nikon-P900-proves-that-the-Earth-is-flat

A guy named Larry Washom writes an incredible amount of text about how all academia lies, they're all run by a super secret satanic society, and it eventually just turns into him posting like fifty pictures of people with their hands in their jackets.

What's this Michelson-Morley experiment he keeps bringing up? He says it proves the existence of the Aether and that the Earth doesn't move, but Wikipedia says it DISPROVES the Aether and says nothing about a stationary Earth.
EDIT: Also, even if the Aether DID exist it still exists in a universe with a spherical Earth that rotates around the Sun so???

James Woods posted:

I've been thinking I should start a kickstarter for an expedition to the ice wall to determine whether the earth is flat. I'd bring along one of their "researchers" to navigate and ensure that we're going true North and not using GPS. I could even bring along an ice wall climbing expert for when we get there. I'd even steam the whole thing so we can break the news to the world live. Of course I would only pay myself a modest salary as mission commander and would keep an open mind about our findings. All I need is a ship captain with a sense of humor.

Nah man you'll just be intercepted by the military.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 11, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
EDIT: Oops

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RatHat posted:

EDIT: Oops

What are you trying to hide

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
What you really need is gofundme for either a ship with a cloaking device, or one that can travel to the ice wall spiritually and then manifest in the natural. A "ghost ship" if you will. :classiclol:

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

James Woods posted:

The funny thing about this is that without GPS you'd either have to navigate coastwise or use Celestial Navigation, which is all based on spherical trigonometry and an oblate spheroid Earth.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Polikarpov posted:

The funny thing about this is that without GPS you'd either have to navigate coastwise or use Celestial Navigation, which is all based on spherical trigonometry and an oblate spheroid Earth.

Pssh, thats just what the fake sky wants you to think.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

What's this Michelson-Morley experiment he keeps bringing up? He says it proves the existence of the Aether and that the Earth doesn't move, but Wikipedia says it DISPROVES the Aether and says nothing about a stationary Earth.
EDIT: Also, even if the Aether DID exist it still exists in a universe with a spherical Earth that rotates around the Sun so???

Michelson-Morley proves that the Earth is not moving relative to the medium through which light propagates. Since it would be ridiculous to assert that the Earth is the only object in the universe that is at rest relative to the aether, instead it is taken as evidence that there is no aether.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Believing that lumiferous æther exists is about as dumb as believing in spontaneously generation (e.g. flies don’t lay eggs; raw steaks just turn into maggots given enough time).

It’s not just that one big experiment disproved it. There are mountains of things developed since then that are incompatible with the theory. It’s just that no one writes breathless headlines about the lumiferous æther being disproven yet again, because duh, every serious person had already abandoned it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well of course the government funded scientists being paid to cover up the æther are going to tell you it doesn't exist

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

RatHat posted:

Michelson-Morley showed one of two things. Either the Earth is always at rest with respect to the æther or the æther does not exist.

Since 19th century people already knew thanks to astronomy that the Earth is spinning and circling the sun, the conclusion they came to is that there was no æther. (This conclusion eventually lead to the Theory of Relativity which has been confirmed by a bunch of experiments since then).

But if you wanted you could interpret the experiment the stupid way as proof that Earth is stationary.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

RatHat posted:

Nah man you'll just be intercepted by the military.

All of these quotes on quora are pretty hilarious misquotes and the experiment had absolutely nothing to do with trying to prove or disprove geocentrism. They are basically doing this

RatHat posted:

... it proves ... that the Earth doesn't move, ... and ... a stationary Earth.
... a spherical Earth that rotates around the Sun so??? ...Nah

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

EdithUpwards posted:

Go to a school that isn't accredited and get lectured before and after recess at the park about the satanic junkies and demons taking the form of deer and the aids rings, then, after being told not to talk to other kids at the park you had recess at, thank God or pretend to thank God that The Gay Agenda didn't snatch you up and take you to the secret catacombs where they have a devil church made of femurs.

Sounds like a fun Holloween

Sign me up

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

All of these quotes on quora are pretty hilarious misquotes and the experiment had absolutely nothing to do with trying to prove or disprove geocentrism.

Yesssss but only because there was so much evidence against geocentrism by that point that no one would have interpreted any result as confirming geocentrism. When the experiment got a null result over and over and over, people were astonished because no one even thought that would happen, which is why they had to conclude there's no æther and no absolute universal frame of rest and you can't catch up with a light beam because that's the only other explanation for the results. That experiment threw physics into chaos for decades because it overturned everyone's basic assumptions about how the universe works.

If there hadn't been that body of evidence against geocentrism then a stationary earth would be the more reasonable interpretation. Like if the Ancient Greeks had thought of this experiment when they were having the geocentrism/heliocentrism debate it would have been considered a slam dunk for geocentrism, just like so many other observations were.

E: to be clear, this is probably a practical impossibility since the theories of optics and glasswork technology required to think of and construct Michelson-Morley in the first place are more advanced than what you need to disprove geocentrism by astronomical observation. Just saying though that if in some bizarre alternate history the geocentrism/heliocentrism debate hadn't been resolved by the 1880s then conceivably people could have thought of this experiment to "prove" that Earth is at rest.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 11, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Number_Keeper/status/1083382947863060480

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

They are blind as well as stupid. A sad end

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

They are blind as well as stupid. A sad end

Soap.....poisoning

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
They're willing to believe anything but the truth

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

The flat earth group I'm observing has 40k members, but only a handful post on a regular basis (maybe 20 people) , and most of them are just batshit crazy. I've looked at their public profiles where they're trying to educate the sheeple and seen some heartbreaking pleas from friends and family members.

So 20 active nutters. So in your mind, are the 40k member likely true believers or just people who like to watch train wrecks?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

predicto posted:

So 20 active nutters. So in your mind, are the 40k member likely true believers or just people who like to watch train wrecks?

Probably 39k are people who are watching the circus. 20ish people are actively loving nuts. The rest are passively loving nuts or infrequent posters.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/patten_life/status/1083590463448326144

Wow is there anything adrenochrome can’t do

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sounds like some really good poo poo

How do I get some?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

How do I get some?

You make it up like Hunter S. Thompson in Fear and Loathing. ... These people do realise he made it up, right?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hiding in plain sight. Do research.

e: vvv make sure to only buy from free range children. Cages are cruel!

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 12, 2019

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

How do I get some?

It's easy enough to make your own, but store-bought is fine too.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
So I had assumed Qultists like, didn't believe adrenochrome did those things but they believed the elite believed those things. Like "the elite partake in forbidden rituals because their decadence knows no bounds" type stuff.

Silly me

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
Hey fellow youths!

I'm looking for some adrenochrome for an upcoming rainbow party and will pay top crypto currency is for this contraband commodity. Best part of this is I'm not a cop and probably someone your age. PM me for details.

Have a nice day

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
I'd help you out there, but all of my current stash was stolen from me by a group of hip-hop-style thugs playing The Knockout Game. The police refuse to help me because they're In On It. Hope it works out!

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

RagnarokAngel posted:

So I had assumed Qultists like, didn't believe adrenochrome did those things but they believed the elite believed those things. Like "the elite partake in forbidden rituals because their decadence knows no bounds" type stuff.

Silly me

In the early days of Qanon, when a lot of Infowars-adjacent internet "skeptics" were heavily involved, that's what the working theory was. They rejected any supernatural explanations, but they assumed that The Cabal thought that their child-sacrificing black masses gave them power, so it's still bad!

But, by this point in the conspiracy's life cycle, most people who still buy into it wholly believe that leftists are given power directly by Satan via child sacrifices, in order to fuel their dark magicks and usher in the literal Biblical end-times.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

In the early days of Qanon, when a lot of Infowars-adjacent internet "skeptics" were heavily involved, that's what the working theory was. They rejected any supernatural explanations, but they assumed that The Cabal thought that their child-sacrificing black masses gave them power, so it's still bad!

But, by this point in the conspiracy's life cycle, most people who still buy into it wholly believe that leftists are given power directly by Satan via child sacrifices, in order to fuel their dark magicks and usher in the literal Biblical end-times.

Given it's pretty much always projection with the right, it makes you wonder what they are up to.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

pseudanonymous posted:

Given it's pretty much always projection with the right, it makes you wonder what they are up to.

Purity Balls, speaking in tongues, and trying to trigger Armageddon in the Middle East

We are the bad guys though :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

How do I get some?

Let an epipen go bad

Of course, in the Satanist vampire community, that's considered to be "schwag" while you'd call the stuff direct from children's glands "that loud"