Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HelloSailorSign posted:

Play completely vanilla for your first few play throughs. There are so, so many mods and every one has individual tastes/what they want to get out of the game. There are some who are 700+ hours in and are still playing vanilla. There are some who have 200-300 mods that have created a significantly different game who have 700+ hours.

Check mid of page 623 (last page) for some mod discussion.

I did a basic primer, here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598337&userid=172019&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post490852627

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

McGiggins posted:

I've never tamed one. They would be cool if you tame them easily.

I've only seen one wander onto my map, and I don't recall if I tamed them or just threw them in a jail cell. I know when my pawns get a mental break to run wild, I usually have no issue taming them right back.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I've only seen one wander onto my map, and I don't recall if I tamed them or just threw them in a jail cell. I know when my pawns get a mental break to run wild, I usually have no issue taming them right back.

Wildpawn the creature not a wild pawn.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Warmachine posted:

http://alpha-animals-rimworld-mod.wikia.com/wiki/Wildpawn

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Alpha Animals has been known to cause issues with Lords that can prevent some things from working properly in your game, fyi.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Welp. Found the one mod I don't play with.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I have a wild pawn in my prison, and it highlights an overarching bug in the job assignment system. The wild pawn being forced to work by prison labour alongside actual imprisoned enemy pawns, is able to use workbenches and the like at the same time as regular and prisoner pawns.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That sounds more like a bug in the prison labor mod...?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I just installed a septic system and it vroke my water system. Before I had an overflow and it worked fine, but now I just get over full clogged septic systems all the time. Shouldnt the excess go out my overflow?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't remember actually... How are they connected? If it's in sequence then I don't know if it will flow through the septic tank to the outflow.

TBH though the main reason to make a septic system is to actually harvest sludge so you want them to fill up and you pump them out.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It should work the way you want as far as I know, but yeah you want to keep that pop and turn it into chemfuel.

I'm 99% sure the pipes work like power cables in that it doesnt matter HOW its connected, just as long as it Is connected.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have a vague memory actually of them not working that way but I'm not sure.

Either way if nothing else you can either build more septic tanks to increase their passive absorbtion rate, or you can add a valve to cut them/the outflow off. But otherwise there really isn't a reason to use septic tanks if you aren't filling them, they exist to be filled, basically.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Ahh, I thought they were a step between dumping raw sewage and making a treatment plant.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The pipes are just like power, same in Rimefeller with the oil pipes. To have more complex piping, you basically have to do what Rimatomics does and make a separate pipe type for each flow (coolant, steam, cold water). And yeah, click "Empty" on the septic tank and choose what level your pawns want to empty it at. Set up some biosolid composting barrels, and reap the bonus fertility. You can spread biosolids over any terrain type; it works like his irrigation stuff where it multiplies whatever is already there.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm eagerly rubbing my hands for the dropship mod to be stable again so I can dive back in with a giant modpack again.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Kanos posted:

I'm eagerly rubbing my hands for the dropship mod to be stable again so I can dive back in with a giant modpack again.

It's been fine for me, for whatever that's worth.

Also I've had two wild man pawns show up on my door. One I tamed and brought inside, he seemed good on paper and did work like everyone else, but he refused to go sleep in a bed unless I drafted him, sent him to his room, locked the door, and undrafted him. No path to another job meant he went to bed and slept normally.

That's totally unacceptable so I assured him in a cryptopod.

Dude #2 showed up a day or two later, so I tried to experiment with the system and I arrested him instead of taming. Then I decided I didn't really want him after all, so I released him, but it turns out they stick around your base when you do that, so he was hunting squirrel and rats for sustenance. Which of course nearly killed him. So I rescued him, patched him up, and he joined in gratitude. Now, he was in the hospital bed across two gaming session so I did restart the game during this process, but dude #2 uses a bed like a normal pawn no problem.

So I'm thinking maybe I should pull dude #1 out of the pod and see if he's fixed now or still broken.

Anyone else seen this behavior? It wasn't a work priority thing, I checked it like five times.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 10, 2019

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Slung Blade posted:

Anyone else seen this behavior? It wasn't a work priority thing, I checked it like five times.

Have you checked the dev console logs for error messages yet? When I had pawns refusing to do things automatically (eating meals in my case) the logs showed that the object searching was broken thanks to certain modded objects and I ditched that mod. Yours isn't the exact same situation but it's a place to start.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

That looks pretty bad mate...

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
They look like a charcoal brisquette.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

They look like a charcoal brisquette.

Racist. That's a drow. They always look like charcoal.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
that is "holy gently caress just let me die" levels of damage right there

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why is he still there, just to suffer?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus christ, when my foster mom got a puppy like that, you just took it out back with a shovel, give the pixels some dignity man.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We CAN rebuild her but god drat should we?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I like how her pain is only severe.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Science says yes. Turn them into a bionic murder machine.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
On a related note, what race mods do you guys use? I got androids, elder things, argonians, and crystalloids and wouldnt mind even more sapients stopping by

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

I like how her pain is only severe.

I mean, it was only two hands and a leg. The jaw was a long time ago. In fact, her hydraulic replacement had recently been shot off by a charge lance in a different battle, and I hadn't gotten around to replacing it.

A couple of days and a few surgeries later, and she's right as rain. Maybe a beer for the trouble. She's no Adam Jensen though.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

...has nobody noticed the doctor is wearing a chefs hat?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Still not entirely sure why the character looks like a lump of rock.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I THINK it's a vest? They might not have a laying down animation, Elder Things do something similar

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Still not entirely sure why the character looks like a lump of rock.

Danaru posted:

I THINK it's a vest? They might not have a laying down animation, Elder Things do something similar

Close. It's a "Tactical Helmet" from Rimsenal.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh I see it now :v: I was looking at it 90 degrees off

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Danaru posted:

On a related note, what race mods do you guys use? I got androids, elder things, argonians, and crystalloids and wouldnt mind even more sapients stopping by

Right now I'm using LOTR Elves, Dwarves, Drow, Beastmen Tribes, and Androids. Since installing the LOTR races, though, I really find myself wishing there was a Shadowrun race pack. Sixth World Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, and Orks would be perfect for what I'm looking for, since I want races that I can explain away as Glitterworld-Gone-Wild experiments.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

isndl posted:

Have you checked the dev console logs for error messages yet? When I had pawns refusing to do things automatically (eating meals in my case) the logs showed that the object searching was broken thanks to certain modded objects and I ditched that mod. Yours isn't the exact same situation but it's a place to start.

The log didn't pop up (I play in Dev mode most of the time to watch for red errors) but I can't say I was watching it stream at the time.

And yeah I had a similar problem to yours with trading a few months ago. Trade would fail because it couldn't handle an object that didn't actually exist so I had to manually delete a 'thing' sitting in the warehouse that technically was impossible.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Man I’m playing a lord of the rims run, so it’s only medieval tech. Running a mostly elf colony and with Rivendell bows they destroy most raiders in randy savage, but I had four separate groups of tribal sappers burrowing in and wreaking havoc on my animal herds. Can’t use the unpowered turret trick so I’m digging moats and walling up.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Danaru posted:

There's the Arachne mod which is nice in that they have big visible spider butts to differentiate them easily at a glance, but they might be slightly OP since they have natural regeneration, usually "weak" which just bandages wounds but sometimes "strong" which can regenerate limbs. When a transport pod crashes with one of them they're basically back on their feet before I can get a colonist over to rescue them and they walk off the map on their own power. Makes them good melee tanks since they probably won't bleed out if they go down in a dragged out fight.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I fell on my first lovely mod - the Sidearms mod. Great idea, but my pawns randomly disarm themselves in combat and just stand there getting their asses shot off.

The dev comments explain that this happens and it's "not a big deal, just pick your weapon back up!"

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

robotsinmyhead posted:

I fell on my first lovely mod - the Sidearms mod. Great idea, but my pawns randomly disarm themselves in combat and just stand there getting their asses shot off.

The dev comments explain that this happens and it's "not a big deal, just pick your weapon back up!"

Took two minutes to find this dev post "This is by design. You can disable this behaviour by changing the dropping mode in the settings."

Also remind me, are there problems when switching where you get a mod from(For example non workshop to workshop, workshop to different workshop ID etc), save wise. I kinda want the dropship mod right now but I'm lazy so I want auto updating as soon as it gets on the workshop :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I think they drop their primary for their sidearm if they get melee attacked. It's a bit weird when they're just non drafted and a wild squierrel bites them and they drop their battle rifle and run, but it works when they're drafted and the enemy runs up in your face and your pawns just sigh and draw their katanas.