Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

CelestialScribe posted:

I don't think I've really been a part of this conversation at all, but sure! Go ahead and put words in my mouth.

"Hey, I don't know that conversation, but I decided to drop in and be a pedant."

Wait, were you being sarcastic about the "words vis a vis your mouth" thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Devor posted:

who the gently caress is scraeming "RESIGN" at my white house. show yourself, coward. i will never resign

It's seriously the most 4chan Tweet I've seen from Trump, and I'll be honest, I'm a pretty triggered lib that the twitter account belonging to the president made this kind of reference, it's two degrees from posting pepes

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Like it's super telling that people itt are equating requests not to drop racial slurs with flipping tables and murder (multiple times!)

They can't imagine the level of discomfort from making a polite request or God forbid setting verbal boundaries. It's so loving unreal to me how insulated and privileged that is

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Koalas March posted:

Kill hour went on a big rant about how obviously you should care more about your presumably white family that "hypothetical strangers' aka black people and other minorities so obviously asking them not to drop a hard r is something we shouldn't do or something idk my eyes glazed over because it was so dumb and confrontational to the point I wondered if it was crypto white supremacist bullshit in disguise

Yep, this is exactly what I did. :jerkbag:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Koalas March posted:

I love my grandmother more than anyone in the world but if her dying magically secured a thousand year Utopia I would snap her neck in a heartbeat.

It's the classic trolley problem. The needs of the many outweigh my personal love for her.

Also holy poo poo telling your family to be less racist isn't even in the same ballpark!

And gently caress it fine, ignore your mom dropping friend of the family everywhere but don't act like you're not a racist by passively condoning it
Utilitarianism is a weird way to approach this when the deontological argument is right there.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

theflyingorc posted:

It's seriously the most 4chan Tweet I've seen from Trump, and I'll be honest, I'm a pretty triggered lib that the twitter account belonging to the president made this kind of reference, it's two degrees from posting pepes

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/653856168402681856

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Dems partially lost because they were using centrist/GOP rhetoric. They lost the popular vote, only winning because of a trash and antiquated Electoral College.

And c'mon, you KNOW why the GOP holds the Senate, and its not because of rhetoric.

This is literally nothing matters bullshit.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Surely the argument "tell your mom not to call people the n word because dude seriously" is pretty much enough on its own, right?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

My beloved grandmother died in October, so I went to my parent's house instead of work that day to make sure my mom was alright (she wasn't). I stayed a few hours to pay my respects, and on my way out the door my dad decided then was a great time to talk politics. He started right out of the gate with 'LIBERALS ARE SO INTOLERANT'. Well, I was already not in a good mood so I let him have it.

:j: "So what you're saying is I should be tolerant to Nazis?"
:v: "No I'm not saying that at all but Anti-Fa..."
:j: "Dad, Anti-Fa isn't a group it's an ideology, it literally means 'those who are against fascists'."
:v: "Well Breitbart said those guys dress up in all black and go around smashing windows!"
:j: "Dad that's the BLACK BLOC who are ANARCHISTS. That is NOT ANTI-FA. I wish you and mother would stop watching that god drat propaganda box."

My grandmother's body wasn't even cold and I managed to stand up to my family. gently caress the fascists.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Surely the argument "tell your mom not to call people the n word because dude seriously" is pretty much enough on its own, right?

I skimmed over about 100 posts so I didn't see the n word thing :stare:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

KillHour posted:

Yep, this is exactly what I did. :jerkbag:

Yes after explaining why talking to your racist family members helps minorities, you jumped in and said this in your first post:

KillHour posted:

Nobody is going to care about hypothetical strangers more than their own family, and we don't need to spend another 10 pages trying to convince them they should.

To your credit I mushed both your posts together in my brain so you made 2 bad posts instead of one, I apologise.

But still

FactsAreUseless posted:

Utilitarianism is a weird way to approach this when the deontological argument is right there.

Nah, consequences matter too much imo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

As Immanuel Kant wrote: "Brah, come on. What's up."

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah.

The issue is that the conversation in this thread seems to suggest someone going to a purity ball (or whatever) is deserving of the same kind of outcry.

It may or may not be, I don't really know. Just saying I think that's where the distinction is a little harder to make.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

ok, I finally figured it out

There was a meme that went around in the summer:

That was extremely CHUDdy - you mock Jim Acosta by mocking the very idea of him posting things.

The President of the United States, or one of his advisors, somehow found out about it and used it from the President's personal twitter account.

It's the equivalent of him posting a video of AOC mad about something and posting "I just came to have a good time and I feel so attacked right now"

It is supremely hosed Up

See, this is why I think we need an old-rear end president like Bernie. Dude probably has never made a tweet personally in his life.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Giggy posted:

This is literally nothing matters bullshit.

We voted in people into Congress as a solution, its going to take more than voting to correct the lovely districts that are Senatorial races, and you know this.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Koalas March posted:

Nah, consequences matter too much imo

You're going to go ahead and consider me racist and I'm gonna go ahead and think of you as a horrible loving person who would murder her own grandma holy poo poo. That's some Junta poo poo right there.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

over thanksgiving I gave my conservative family a talking-to so brutal that I don't dare recapitulate it itt

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We should call out racism each and every time we see it.

Sometimes we bite our tongues and swallow some poo poo because life is complicated and hard and sometimes you make moral compromises to make it easier.

That's not a justification, its a wrong decision.

Life is a constant battle with yourself to be a better person than you were yesterday and to accept the basic truth that "I might be completely wrong."

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

suffice to say they won't be expressing certain opinions in my presence again!

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Koalas March posted:

Like it's super telling that people itt are equating requests not to drop racial slurs with flipping tables and murder (multiple times!)

They can't imagine the level of discomfort from making a polite request or God forbid setting verbal boundaries. It's so loving unreal to me how insulated and privileged that is

I lived with my parents into my mid 20s and I called them out a lot. It isn't really that dissimilar to flipping tables. It led to a lot of screaming and crying from my mother for daring to say she was saying bad things. She would sometimes throw stuff. Usually she wouldn't talk to me for a few days, and the only reason we would reconcile is because we were around eachother constantly.

My parents are fairly left now and poke fun at the way they used to be. All it took was like 6 years of conflicts.

And my parents were never so bad they used slurs, they would just be anti immigration or make assumptions about groups of minorities. I can't imagine dealing with them if they were Trumper level bad tbh.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Calibanibal posted:

over thanksgiving I gave my conservative family a talking-to so brutal that I don't dare recapitulate it itt
But you may rest assured that It. Was. Stern.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

We voted in people into Congress as a solution, its going to take more than voting to correct the lovely districts that are Senatorial races, and you know this.

Voting is not a solution to fascist rhetoric. We're talking about combating fascist rhetoric not abolishing the Senate. Your answers to the rise in fascist rhetoric have been, "It's stupid. It doesn't matter. There's nothing we can do to stop it."

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

KillHour posted:

You're going to go ahead and consider me racist and I'm gonna go ahead and think of you as a horrible loving person who would murder her own grandma holy poo poo. That's some Junta poo poo right there.

I mean she'd ask me to dude

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Koalas March posted:

I mean she'd ask me to dude

I literally don't care. That's hosed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

But seriously everyone, telling your racist family to shut it is self-care.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

As Immanuel Kant wrote: "Brah, come on. What's up."

I'm going to draw a comic called "Dudebro Kant" now because of this.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

KillHour posted:

I literally don't care. That's hosed.

Just lol if you weren't raised as a Bene Gesserit

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I blew up on my FIL who's a teacher for bitching about using correct pronouns.

It felt good. And he actually seemed to gain some understanding when I emphasized really hard that kids who aren't accepted for who they are have a really high suicide rate.

I cut off all contact with my extremely right wing crazy dad - Like I literally bought a flight on my phone while I was in his hospital room - because he said "they should shoot all BLM protestors" "well dad, I protest with him" "yeah so?"

Telling boomers to go gently caress off feels so good. I really encourage everyone to do it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1083554843627868160

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
My god if you fairweathers aren't willing to poo poo on regressives forever in the forever culture war you might as will roll of and move out of the way.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Koalas March posted:

Don't bring your anti-Mentat bigotry in here.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1083554782923632640

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Koalas March posted:

You are now officially my fav poster for this

Majorian posted:

Don't bring your anti-Mentat bigotry in here.

Goddammit

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1083555966606626816

TSApocalypse is coming

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Huh?

I THINK he's saying 300 Americas die a week and 90% of them are killed by illegals? I mean, that's absurd but its the only thing I can figure to make sense of that?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Is he saying 90% of murders are committed by immigrants? Because jfc is that not true

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
If there's someone powerful enough to offer utopian changes to society, and twisted enough to require you personally killing a loved one in order to grant it, you shouldn't be killing your loved one. You should be killing them.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

this airport is a fuckin nightmare even when fully staffed lol

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

It is by will alone that I set my FIST in motion!:toughguy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

Is he saying 90% of murders are committed by immigrants? Because jfc is that not true

Or is he saying 300 Americans leave the U.S. and 90% go through Mexico.