Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pierson posted:

My plan was to resub for a little bit when all the Stormblood storylines were done to see all the new stuff, has that happened? Are patches from now on the prologie/intros/teasers for the next expac?
This is the final patch but like they always do they split it into two parts, so 4.55 comes in like March and that will be the finale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

jalapeno_dude posted:

So uh they sure do like their previous hero binds Big Bad, WoL joins with their ghost to rebind/defeat them for good plot resolution. It's how they ended both Four Lords and Ivalice, and the Eureka plotline also seems like it's heading that way...

Yeah, that was very noticeable when I did Seiryu right after the Raid.

And now that I think of it, V did end in a similar way.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

homeless snail posted:

This is the final patch but like they always do they split it into two parts, so 4.55 comes in like March and that will be the finale
So March is the finale for Stormblood stuff? Aight, cheers dude.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, that was very noticeable when I did Seiryu right after the Raid.

And now that I think of it, V did end in a similar way.

So did the end of HW.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I cant get over (24 man spoiler) the thunder god's lines and delivery. Its so loving good. :allears: Give me all of them so i can use them on my phone.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

And Crystal Tower.

Man, this game does that a lot.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

And (2.X spoilers) Nabriales.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Lizard Wizard posted:

And (2.X spoilers) Nabriales.

No, we murdered the gently caress out of that guy.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Karasu Tengu posted:

No, we murdered the gently caress out of that guy.

We wouldn't have been able to do so without Moenbryda swooping in to provide the means to bind him, and then letting us wield her spiritual energy as the murder weapon. She may not fit the description of "an old hero", but a good chunk of the formula is there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pierson posted:

My plan was to resub for a little bit when all the Stormblood storylines were done to see all the new stuff, has that happened? Are patches from now on the prologie/intros/teasers for the next expac?

The next patch is kind of both of those things. There's not a clear delineation between one and the other.

Also guys you are getting really loose with those comparison. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If a Viera goes to the Limsa housing area, do they have permanent Berserk status until they leave?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Knocked out 4.5 today.

Really funny imo and I liked it for making me giggle so much, but probably not for the reasons intended. Varis went from a villain I could take seriously, if somewhat generic, to a guy I now can only giggle at for how silly his plans are.

The Alliance leaders look like a bunch of idiots for somehow being taken off guard and almost broken by the most obvious conversational gambits imaginable.

Gaius is trying to hard to be an edgy badass it's hilarious.

Bar that particular cutscene, not bad. The long-awaited war between the Empire and Alliance shows the limitations of budget and the game engine by being vague background stuff in a dungeon that's mostly brown corridors and arenas, but a decently fun dungeon. Krile and Matoya have bit parts, but they're still among my favorite supporting characters.

And for someone inclined to read lesbian subtext where none is probably intended, I thought the game was making Alisae pine hard for the WoL, and I'm wondering if the two bodyguard ladies with the same last name are a married couple. Almost certainly not, I know, because Japan and they're probably sisters or both married to Varis, but the game hasn't said one way or another yet.

All in all, a patch that feels like it only exists to deliver the cutscenes immediately before and after the dungeon, but could have been worse. Sinister McOminous Voice wasn't as creepy as the first time around.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think they're sisters.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think they're sisters.

I think this is more likely, and are probably version 2 of the Lucia/Livia thing. Hopefully their relationship with Varis is less creepy than the Livia/Gaius one. But there is another married (i think) gay couple in the game so they wouldn't be the first.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Clearing the 24man took 2 vote abandons and the 3rd group made it with 10 minutes to spare. It was cool, and good, and I got to blow the healer lb3 and then die doing so.

I didn't really have a strong emotional attachment to anything in the raid-set, or find the story interesting. I much preferred the pirate adventures and the weird allagan clone adventure bullshit - this one felt like it was getting all the emotional beats from a game I haven't played, leading to me going "huh, this ozma-looking dude is cool" while other people were freaking out.

then i joined them in freaking out around the 10th goddamn wipe.

But the bosses more than made up for the lack of impactful story for me. The voice acting was loving awesome, I really like the new mechanics and those ultimates were sweet as.

Every about-to-be-wipe I swapped to gpose, so I have some nice pictures too.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I finished this a couple nights ago and forgot to take a glamour shot:

Flare-on-a-stick good.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

The bodyguards are probably twins, based on their being in all the Solus scenes, and Solus is almost certainly Emet-Selch, who in the Ivalice games was the Scion of Light opposed to Zalera, associated with the zodiac sign, Gemini! Foolproof, I say!

Personally, I really enjoyed Varis going full crazy Nazi in the negotiations, especially all the alliance leaders going from willing to hear him out to 'what the gently caress is wrong with you?' in about two seconds.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
i've come around on the garleans becoming less "subtle" because, well, they're fascists, and it turns out when you get down to it, fascists ARE just unreasonable evil motherfuckers, whether or not space ghosts are involved

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

Knocked out 4.5 today.

Really funny imo and I liked it for making me giggle so much, but probably not for the reasons intended. Varis went from a villain I could take seriously, if somewhat generic, to a guy I now can only giggle at for how silly his plans are.

The Alliance leaders look like a bunch of idiots for somehow being taken off guard and almost broken by the most obvious conversational gambits imaginable.

Gaius is trying to hard to be an edgy badass it's hilarious.

Bar that particular cutscene, not bad. The long-awaited war between the Empire and Alliance shows the limitations of budget and the game engine by being vague background stuff in a dungeon that's mostly brown corridors and arenas, but a decently fun dungeon. Krile and Matoya have bit parts, but they're still among my favorite supporting characters.

And for someone inclined to read lesbian subtext where none is probably intended, I thought the game was making Alisae pine hard for the WoL, and I'm wondering if the two bodyguard ladies with the same last name are a married couple. Almost certainly not, I know, because Japan and they're probably sisters or both married to Varis, but the game hasn't said one way or another yet.

All in all, a patch that feels like it only exists to deliver the cutscenes immediately before and after the dungeon, but could have been worse. Sinister McOminous Voice wasn't as creepy as the first time around.

The thing is

Metaphysically, with what we know about the reflections, Varis' plan isn't crazy.

Unethical and evil, yes, but in theory it WOULD work. He's just...well, exactly the kind of person you would expect to result from being groomed to rule a racial supremacist Techno-Roman state with knowledge of the inner workings of how broken reality is. Don't give fascists the keys to ultimate power, kids.

Assuming it actually IS Varis anyway. There's a non-zero possibility that was Solus.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Anybody ever bought grey market Fantasias? There's someone selling them on ebay for cheap and I have to assume they're like, bought with stolen credit cards and will get my account banned if I use them

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

somepartsareme posted:

Anybody ever bought grey market Fantasias? There's someone selling them on ebay for cheap and I have to assume they're like, bought with stolen credit cards and will get my account banned if I use them

You won't get in trouble, square can't really prove that a gift code you used was you knowingly getting it from a stolen source. Tons of people I know used one of those greymarket sites (mogsales? idk if its still up) to buy cash shop goods at like 30% off and none of them ever got in trouble.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

IIRC the grey market stuff is bought from Mog Shops with regionally lower prices (like Russia) but the codes issued are still usable by American accounts, so they're able to sell them on eBay at a profit.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

IIRC the grey market stuff is bought from Mog Shops with regionally lower prices (like Russia) but the codes issued are still usable by American accounts, so they're able to sell them on eBay at a profit.

This is true, but they're usually bought with stolen credit cards from within those regions.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Azubah posted:

At the shield I told Gaius that we'd settle this later instead of moving on and I'm petty like that.
What he doesn't know that it'll be in a frantic game of mahjong.

He did order the killing of a ton of the minor Scions and the Sylph so I don't think that saying you'd settle it later is really that petty. It's up to your personal narrative as to whether settling it later involves murderizing him, or something else.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
shoutout to the people who always think about what YOUR wol would say in the meaningless dialogue options

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

somepartsareme posted:

shoutout to the people who always think about what YOUR wol would say in the meaningless dialogue options

I love the meaningless dialogue options so much

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Blockhouse posted:

I love the meaningless dialogue options so much

I like when you say a non-sequitur and the other guy goes "what an odd thing to say! Anyways..." its like the WoL should look into the camera and make a Jim face from the office.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

HiKaizer posted:

the Sylph

Man, it's kind of a bummer to me the beast people fell to the sidequest way after 1.0/2.0/x

The beast tribes are pretty cool in their own ways, but I don't really feel like we've gotten any closer to solving the overall problem of Summoning or even just making peace with -any- of the beast tribes ever since. Even Varis pointed this out just recently.

I liked Noraxia, and it's kind of a shame that we never really got any more Beast people on the (minor) Scion team after her. She was a representative for the Slyphs even, iirc. I don't believe we have any non-PC races assisting us in fact, only that 3.4 kobold kid who is traumatized. I'm just curious how the writers are gonna be able to do the whole peacemaking with the beasts by the end of FF14, because it may be by stopping summoning before actually making peace?

I know that plot isn't as important as Fight Garlean Empire, but it was Gaius' original reason to be in Eorzea.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

HiKaizer posted:

He did order the killing of a ton of the minor Scions and the Sylph so I don't think that saying you'd settle it later is really that petty. It's up to your personal narrative as to whether settling it later involves murderizing him, or something else.

I thought that was just Livia being Livia.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Most of the Primal equivalent fights in Stormblood haven't been summoned by Beast Tribes interestingly. Shinryu and Tuskuyomi are both summoned by people, and the Four Lords are their own thing. Only Laksmi and Susano were summoned by Beast Tribes. So there's no plot reason for stopping them at the moment at least it seems, given that even in Heavensward the trials were also largely summoned by humans (Thordan and knights, Sephirot, Sophia). Zurvan is technically a beastman summon but given that he's from the 3rd era I don't think it counts for the story purposes. Nidhogg isn't really summoned, but I'd still count him given that he represents the persecution of the non Human races in the world.

Basically if they choose to continue having new beast tribes summon Primals that's not corner they've written themselves into.

Edit:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I thought that was just Livia being Livia.

He still ordered it, so your personal narrative can hold him to account as much as you want to.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rastan Beeza posted:

Man, it's kind of a bummer to me the beast people fell to the sidequest way after 1.0/2.0/x

The beast tribes are pretty cool in their own ways, but I don't really feel like we've gotten any closer to solving the overall problem of Summoning or even just making peace with -any- of the beast tribes ever since. Even Varis pointed this out just recently.

I liked Noraxia, and it's kind of a shame that we never really got any more Beast people on the (minor) Scion team after her. She was a representative for the Slyphs even, iirc. I don't believe we have any non-PC races assisting us in fact, only that 3.4 kobold kid who is traumatized. I'm just curious how the writers are gonna be able to do the whole peacemaking with the beasts by the end of FF14, because it may be by stopping summoning before actually making peace?

I know that plot isn't as important as Fight Garlean Empire, but it was Gaius' original reason to be in Eorzea.

I dunno, I think strides are being made. Hien has a Kojin on whenever he does his grand meetings and Lyse does the same with the Ananta. It's kind of tough to deal with, I imagine. Logically the only way to permanently move forward is the outright extermination of all the tempered and that's not likely to create peace or endear the other beastmen to the Alliance. I mean sure you have the Kojin who would probably gladly see the Red Shells gently caress off forever, but like the Ananta or the Moogles would just see us as Garleans at that point.

Speakin of, I liked Hien in this patch. I thought Doma's stance on Ivalice was interesting.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Welp, wiped three times on boss 3 of OM and then people dropped group en masse like cowards. :argh:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I have discovered Hildibrand and it is distracting me from the MSQ.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Hildibrand is the MSQ.

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017

Rastan Beeza posted:

I agree but there was the turtle dude in SB and some Ananta stuff, though not enough really and it would be cool if they became scions. Would like a Moogle scion personally.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Vanderdeath posted:

Not gonna lie, I've been pleased as Punch from hearing about Thunder God Cid wrecking poo poo non-stop in TYOOL 2019. :allears: Agrias and Cid even say their FFT spell quotes! It's so good! Granted, IMO, "Misfortune hangs heavy on a head once held high. Such is poor cover for when the heavens fall" is no "Heaven's wish to destroy all minds."

Wrong spell quote in the spoilers there.
You want "Curses from all directions!"

"They who dwell aloft have spoken. Let their words echo in your empty soul. Ruination is come!" is the Holy Explosion equivalent. :allears:

Speaking of Orbonne, finally had to quit TG Cid after a bunch of wipes because people refused to learn. Even after one of the dps left to requeue as a tank in progress successfully. Salute to that catman for getting rngesus to cooperate!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Why is Hein's limit break so much cooler looking than Samurai's actual limit break? :sigh:

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

The Shame Boy posted:

Why is Hein's limit break so much cooler looking than Samurai's actual limit break? :sigh:

Doesn't he just do a Hissatsu: Guren with a charge up animation?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The game calls attention to him and the battle isn't as complicated as an actual raid, so you can actually notice him doing it instead of having to pay attention to your own intricate dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

HiKaizer posted:

Shanking any Sylph is an immediate net positive, may even cancel out those dead scions frankly.