Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

alf_pogs posted:

that seems like a hyperbolically short session, or are you just really good at platformers?

i think i spent about eight hours getting to the finish line, but that doesn't include all the secret exits, bonus challenges, etc etc etc

Maybe? It's possible I'm misremembering but I'm pretty certain I banged the whole thing out in under 6 hours at most. I did get all 3 coins on my first run through each level most of the time. Very few levels took more than two runs. Although I did play a shitload of NSMB Wii and a bunch of fan made levels too like the "Newer" campaign (which is excellent btw, basically Nintendo quality), so I'm extremely comfortable with the movement and general feel of the game. So now that I think about it I'm much less representative of the general population than I suggested with my previous post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm really enjoying Let's Go. I picked up a Pokeball Plus on clearance the other day and figured I may as well pick it up. Up to Vermillion Gym, so the game should be opening up a bit soon. I will admit I've fallen back on my usuals, but I haven't had anything really catch my eye that I don't normally use.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Beastie posted:

I’m not really a fan of the NSMB art style. It looks like Fischer Price, if that makes sense. I look at it and I know it’s Mario because I see things from Mario games, but it just comes across as so light and plastic-like.

It's a common fair criticism, I hated it as a launch game for the Wii U

I think they should make a new series of 2D Mario games in a cooler art style. Doesn't help that they've been reusing the same music for the last 2 NSMB games

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's too bad that wii Wario Land game sold like poo poo, that was exactly what I want in a 2d platformer

Spellman
May 31, 2011

RandomFerret posted:

It's too bad that wii Wario Land game sold like poo poo, that was exactly what I want in a 2d platformer

I loved Shake It

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I tried playing the old mega man games recently and they are a lot more frustrating and unfun than I remembered.

Maybe you're just bad at them? Modern games hold your hand much more than older ones, which may explain your preference

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I love the megaman series but you have to admit a lot of it is bullshit.

This was never okay

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

The boss you have to use Clash Bombs on might be my least favorite moment in gaming.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

RandomFerret posted:

I love the megaman series but you have to admit a lot of it is bullshit.

This was never okay

Just use the jet my dude. This is the part they put it in the game for.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 11, 2019

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

HMS Beagle posted:

The boss you have to use Clash Bombs on might be my least favorite moment in gaming.

As a kid I would go in, break all the walls, die, farm weapon refills, then go back in and kill the boss itself.

It really is a terrible fight in an otherwise excellent game.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I don't think it's too bad. You can blow up almost all of the turrets without blowing up the walls in front of them, and you can even blow up the upper left turret and the far left wall with the same shot (you don't need direct hits; the splash explosion will take them out, too).

The main problem with the fight is that the turrets don't have a great tell, and they are pretty hard to dodge.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is NSMBUD (lol) the first time they've done a pre-load? I don't remember there being one even for smush

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ciaphas posted:

Is NSMBUD (lol) the first time they've done a pre-load? I don't remember there being one even for smush

smash had one.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Whens that Tales of game unlockin?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

il serpente cosmico posted:

I don't think it's too bad. You can blow up almost all of the turrets without blowing up the walls in front of them, and you can even blow up the upper left turret and the far left wall with the same shot (you don't need direct hits; the splash explosion will take them out, too).

The main problem with the fight is that the turrets don't have a great tell, and they are pretty hard to dodge.

Imo the biggest problem is that most first time players won't realize until its too late that even full weapon energy won't be enough to win if you blow up walls you don't need to. It's a massive gently caress you in terms of design

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

A Bag of Milk posted:

Imo the biggest problem is that most first time players won't realize until its too late that even full weapon energy won't be enough to win if you blow up walls you don't need to. It's a massive gently caress you in terms of design

It's really telling that pretty much every ROM hack of 2 nerfs that boss into the ground. (When ROM hacks usually end up making the game a lot harder or something like that.)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

JBP posted:

I really enjoyed botw but the castle was a disappointment. I annihilated everything in my path easily and ganon was a pushover. Wish I'd bought the DLC and played on master mode. Can't really be hosed making a new game...

The castle is hands down the best dungeon in the game but it sounds you did it like I did. At the very end of the game after being ultra upgraded.

The game does try to get you to go in early on, but I was afraid of getting the ending too early meaning the early tension of being weak is not experienced. Being an unstoppable killer is its own pleasure but it does break the game completely.

I'll never know the castle as an unknowable challenge which is my biggest BotW regret but when I do replay it I won't be as shy about trying it out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The castle is hands down the best dungeon in the game but it sounds you did it like I did. At the very end of the game after being ultra upgraded.

The game does try to get you to go in early on, but I was afraid of getting the ending too early meaning the early tension of being weak is not experienced. Being an unstoppable killer is its own pleasure but it does break the game completely.

I'll never know the castle as an unknowable challenge which is my biggest BotW regret but when I do replay it I won't be as shy about trying it out.

Yeah exactly. I have explored most of it, but anything in my path just dies even if I turn off the champion powers (which I did ages ago because the game was too easy). Anyway I loved the game but unlocking fairy four after the game already became a cakewalk made me just feel like I'm done. I can't see many shrines comparing to the awesome DLC ones either.

I'll finish the master sword challenge though, just did beginner and it's fun as hell.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So for whatever reason, Nintendo updated a section of the Luigi's Mansion 3DS website.

https://twitter.com/SuperMario_UK/status/1083348205448953858

Seems like we might be getting some Luigi's Mansion 3 info soon?

Probably has something with Gooigi, that co-op option they gave a minor backstory to in the remake. This might explain why they bothered doing that. Not to mention that Luigi's new vacuum is called the Poltergust G-00.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 11, 2019

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They better port 1&2 to the Switch :argh:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Luigi has a real threat of being replaced as Mario's brother

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ciaphas posted:

Smash had one, like a month early too. They’ve done it for other games as well.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
They've had preloading since Mario Odyssey.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

il serpente cosmico posted:

Maybe you're just bad at them? Modern games hold your hand much more than older ones, which may explain your preference

I didn’t say hard, I said unfun and frustrating, there is a difference

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Basch is apparently not good enough to be on the box.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That's a very pretty artwork

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Will NSMBU still have that ugly save system which encourages you to speed through the game and only then go back for collectibles?

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I played a few minutes and it seems the same as I remember, you can quicksave whenever but only reload the quick save once (but you can quick save after every level if you want), and you can save after castles and stuff. I'm not sure what's problematic though, I don't remember feeling particularly pressed by it, lives come pretty easy.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

kirbysuperstar posted:

He's right there, standing next to Penelo and Balthier

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I know it's an unlikely thing to ever happen but I feel like if an ARMS sequel (or I guess spin-off) was made, it'd be great in the hands of Platinum as a character action game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

What do you think is under Ashe's dress?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FirstAidKite posted:

I know it's an unlikely thing to ever happen but I feel like if an ARMS sequel (or I guess spin-off) was made, it'd be great in the hands of Platinum as a character action game.

I'd honestly be perfectly okay with this :stwoon:.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Platinum already has three projects with vague to no release dates on the go don't imagine them anymore.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

What do you think is under Ashe's dress?

Larsa, duh

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Even as someone who had a NES I can safely say around 99% of the library isn't worth playing by today's standards and the SNES just had better versions of pretty much every game on that system.

Some games like Super Mario Bros. 3 hold up, and the original Super Mario Bros. is worth playing just to see how it all started.

Stuff like Zelda for example.... the SNES Zelda feels like two generations ahead of what was on the NES.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I beat Zelda 2 when I was like 5 or 6 years old.

Young me was apparently a pretty good gamer, cause that poo poo is hard as gently caress.

Mother loving Thunderbird can eat a dick forever

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I was not expecting to see Raymond Bryce from Disaster: Day of Crisis complete with action BGM as a Spirit in Smash Bros :stare:.

Happening across the Ouedan Cheerleaders and Elite Beat Divas were neat surprises too :rock:.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

Mercury Crusader posted:

He's right there, standing next to Penelo and Balthier

This is the best joke.

Also 12 went from being the game I played at launch and was just kinda 'meh' about to playing it over a decade later on PC and being elevated to my top Final Fantasies. I don't even think it was the zodiak board (I actually preferred the original). The story and characters are just way better than people give it credit for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Beastie posted:

I’m not really a fan of the NSMB art style. It looks like Fischer Price, if that makes sense. I look at it and I know it’s Mario because I see things from Mario games, but it just comes across as so light and plastic-like.

It's kind of artless, to me. It lacks a style. They just did the most obvious interpretation of old school Mario assets in HD and 3D and put it out there. I would've preferred something like they did to the Wonder Boy games recently.