Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Amichateur 8 points 4 days ago

Hard disk manufacturers should pre-load their disks with the blockchain.

DesignerAccount 2 points 3 days ago

They will. Or better, expect new machines (laptops, desktops) to come with a pre-installed bitcoin node, which syncs in 20min, the time to set up the new machine properly. With LN ready to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

...! posted:

Amichateur 8 points 4 days ago

Hard disk manufacturers should pre-load their disks with the blockchain.

DesignerAccount 2 points 3 days ago

They will.

:wrong:

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

thanks for the emptyquote

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i can't wait to get a new hard dick filled with 200 gigabytes of blockchain

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Boxturret posted:

my hard dick is filled with 200 gigs all right :grin:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Boxturret posted:

great satoshi's phallus

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
edit: dumb emptyquote button

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Hirez posted:

the curse of failhard

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Hirez posted:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

20% of Bitcoin's daily trading volume generated by a single project

quote:

According to the recent research published by Forbes Crypto, about 20% of all Bitcoin transactions are generated by a project called VeriBlock. It is developed on top of Bitcoin blockchain with the aim to provide a more secure alternative to existing cryptocurrency networks.

VeriBlock is based on proof-of-proof (PoP) concept that functions as a supplemental consensus mechanism for blockchains integrated with VeriBlock.

Basically, it allows minor altcoin projects to avoid security issues related to low hash rate and relatively low reward for mining. Low hash rate may lead double spend issues and 51% attack - something that is happening with Ethereum Classic now.

VeriBlock claims to improve the security of altcoins by embedding their ledgers into Bitcoin blockchain and allowing them to piggyback on the massive hash rate of the Bitcoin network.

While the idea of making altcoins safer might look appealing, one would remember that it is done at the expense of Bitcoin users. VeriBlock operations overload the network and make Bitcoin transfers more expensive. Considering that Bitcoin is a permissionless system where anyone who is willing to pay can get their transactions into the blockchain, no one can stop VeriBlock from doing what they are doing.

The actual consequences of this activity are not clear at this stage, though the viability of the project and its effect on the Bitcoin network is worth tracking in months to come.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

proof-of-proof (PooP)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Parasitic blockchains :allears:

Well, more parasitic than usual

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
lol :allears:

"Eventually, people can use Bitcoin to pay off their fiat debt. If we just keep paying off our debt, an orderly unwinding of the global monetary fiat system will ensue. Basically, everyone pays off all of their debt and the fiat money supply contracts until it drops to zero." Saifedean Ammous

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

...! posted:

"Eventually, people can use Bitcoin to pay off their fiat debt. If we just keep paying off our debt, an orderly unwinding of the global monetary fiat system will ensue. Basically, everyone pays off all of their debt and the fiat money supply contracts until it drops to zero." Saifedean Ammous

Highly likely, considering

...! posted:

arkatekt617 (deleted by user)0 points22 hours ago

I started with 70,000, it made 917000 and I did not sell. I am still underwater on 20 different cryptocurrency trades. I've been writing it down for 10 months because I did not know when to sell I now have 20,000. Don't feel bad. If you can hold until near end of 2019 or 2020 you'll be in for a world of wonder and Fortune. I only hope that I can hold because I owe 1100 a month on this $70,000 loan

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

...! posted:

arkatekt617 (deleted by user)0 points22 hours ago

I started with 70,000, it made 917000 and I did not sell. I am still underwater on 20 different cryptocurrency trades. I've been writing it down for 10 months because I did not know when to sell I now have 20,000. Don't feel bad. If you can hold until near end of 2019 or 2020 you'll be in for a world of wonder and Fortune. I only hope that I can hold because I owe 1100 a month on this $70,000 loan

Why the gently caress didn’t they sell some at 900k and pay off the loan :psyduck:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

jre posted:

Why the gently caress didn’t they sell some at 900k and pay off the loan :psyduck:

because then they would only have 4.4 million USD when butts reached 100k, instead of 4.8 million!

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Sedge and Bee posted:

20% of Bitcoin's daily trading volume generated by a single project

quote:

no one can stop VeriBlock from doing what they are doing.

or anyone else lol how many layers of tragedy of the commons can we pile on one dysfunctional community

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

jre posted:

an actual pure profit scenario

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
What are the costs entailed for VeriBlock, respective to the strain placed on the system?

Put differently, how costly/expensive would it be to effectively gum up and make the whole structure completely unusable?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 11, 2019

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

...! posted:

everyone in the world collectively agrees to stop borrowing and lending money, cool

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

What are the costs entailed for VeriBlock, respective to the strain placed on the system?

Put differently, how costly/expensive would it be to effectively gum up and make the whole structure completely unusable?

$0

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

jre posted:

one of my former co-workers was into cryptocurrency, and to his credit, he did this pretty close to the peak. he sold enough to pay for his initial investment (not a loan) and the taxes (!!!) on the gains and is just holding the rest long-term to "see what happens"

for as much as I disagree with touching the poop on principle, I can't fault his approach

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

proof-of-proof

im dead

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

come and buy some tokens for my new ico for VeriVeriBlock featuring the innovative proof of proof of proof system

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Boxturret posted:

come and buy some tokens for my new ico for VeriVeriBlock featuring the innovative proof of proof of proof system

PooPooP

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

))<>((

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm just saying if there's a cheap way to nest this stuff and turn the entire crypto economy into a giant smelly slagheap, well, I'd feel a degree of moral obligation to demonstrate the vulnerability.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

what if we put bitcoin on the blockchain

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm just saying if there's a cheap way to nest this stuff and turn the entire crypto economy into a giant smelly slagheap, well, I'd feel a degree of moral obligation to demonstrate the vulnerability.

whatever, morality was invented by satoshi

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I did my own writeup of the latest KodakCoin stupidity fwiw.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

#xrpthestandrad

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
can't shut down the government if you run it on smart contracts headtap.jpg

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

divabot posted:

I did my own writeup of the latest KodakCoin stupidity fwiw.

Small note: I think here:

quote:

That’s $600 per “case.” That’s the sort of amount semi-automated “copyright trolls” send notices for — more than it would cost the recipient to get a lawyer to fight, but enough to turn a possible profit on from those who don’t fight.

I'm guessing you meant to write less instead of more.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

theo chino attorney at law will take your case for 20 buck and a sandwich

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

s

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
proof of poof, which is the sound your money makes as it vanishes into the ether

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/avsa/status/1083760251688681482

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU