Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't really like any politicians. I know it's a really cringeworthy 2edgy4u Reddit teenager thing to say, but I just don't. None of the ones where I live are any good and I don't really like any of the big name national-level ones either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
With health care (for rich and prominent people who can get what they need) in modern times being as good as it is I feel like we might be seeing a lot more geriatric politicians. Look at former presidents or the Queen, they almost always make their 90s.

Unfortunately, politician ghouls doddering on affects us, while the ancient Queen having tea parties at age 110 only affects Prince Charles.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know. I like old painted movie posters. I'm told that the reason they don't really get made any more in favour of comparatively drab-looking Photoshops is that people do think they look "old". I guess that reaction in other people might be a peeve of mine. :v:

I’ve kept an old VHS of Blade Runner specifically because I love the art.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't really like any politicians. I know it's a really cringeworthy 2edgy4u Reddit teenager thing to say, but I just don't. None of the ones where I live are any good and I don't really like any of the big name national-level ones either.

That's pretty normal, isn't it? Who likes politicians?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If your car is set to honk when you lock the doors, eat a dick. There's no point to broadcasting the fact that you locked your doors to everyone in the area, turn that poo poo off.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

If your car is set to honk when you lock the doors, eat a dick. There's no point to broadcasting the fact that you locked your doors to everyone in the area, turn that poo poo off.

I think its a thing specifically to broadcast your car's location. I know I use it for the "poo poo, I parked three hours ago and I can't remember where" purposes. Petty sure I'm not alone in this; most times I leave a theater there's a low-level of chorus of people doing it.

Personal peeve: I hate tightly-constructed boxes with a product in it. I understand that shippers don't want to pay for 'wasted' space in their deliveries, but man alive I hate having to destroy a box to get to what I paid for because there's a low-level vaccum at play.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MisterBibs posted:

I think its a thing specifically to broadcast your car's location. I know I use it for the "poo poo, I parked three hours ago and I can't remember where" purposes. Petty sure I'm not alone in this; most times I leave a theater there's a low-level of chorus of people doing it.

Very guilty of this. I always park in a different row than I remember parking in.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

That's pretty normal, isn't it? Who likes politicians?

Usually when people say it, it's the sort of "THEY'RE ALL THE SAME :qq:" attitude you expect from self-consciously edgy people.

I acknowledge that they are not all the same; some are subjectively better or objectively worse than others.

I still don't like any of them.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Henchman of Santa posted:

Sanders hasn't thrown his hat in yet but Kamala Harris is a likely candidate in her mid-50s. Cory Booker is a few years younger and his name is thrown around a lot.

But yeah it's one of the biggest of many problems with the Democratic party. There's no bench. Bernie is by far the most progressive option but who could he pick as VP who is even close to him policy wise?

Yeah, their whole bench pretty much consists of Old White Guys.

Then of course toward the end you'll get the "Third Party Candidate" who'll try to swoop in and get some attention, some Libertarian or "Independent" or whatever who'll get barely enough votes to get his name on the board. :munch:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MightyJoe36 posted:

Then of course toward the end you'll get the "Third Party Candidate" who'll try to swoop in and get some attention, some Libertarian or "Independent" or whatever who'll get barely enough votes to get his name on the board. :munch:

Wait and see, it'll be Post Malone.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Usually when people say it, it's the sort of "THEY'RE ALL THE SAME :qq:" attitude you expect from self-consciously edgy people.

I acknowledge that they are not all the same; some are subjectively better or objectively worse than others.

I still don't like any of them.

Yeah but it’s also pretty common for people who can at least make people think they aren’t politicians to pull a lot of votes purely based on that. No one really likes politicians.

Consider how dudes like Berlusconi and Trump can effectively hit opponents with corruptuon accusations despite being obviously corrupt. They come off as regular everyday dudes with their blatant sex abuse and money skimming and bribe taking. Most politicians who do their corruption behind closed doors come off as sinister and shadowy and leave people wondering “what ELSE are they up to??” :tinfoil:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Even "honest" politicians are off-putting to me. The fact is that they need votes to get elected and that means you can never completely trust anything they say, because they're after your votes. No doubt I'm drowning in my own cynicism here, but I've never been able to shake it off.

The the worst of them all are the ones who are always get people defending them for being "principled" as though that's a necessarily good thing in and of itself, which I am almost expected to admire regardless of what those "principles" actually entail. It really gets on my nerves.

A person's political and religious beliefs don't deserve this intrinsic "respect" they always seem to demand and receive, regardless of what they are.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 13:53 on Jan 10, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

My dad does this every loving time he parks. I hate it so much, and made sure to turn that feature off on my car. It's doubly terrible when it's happening at your apartment at 11:47pm, you're not that loving important and no one cares that you're home.

MisterBibs posted:

No one uses it like that, it's always so they don't can just walk away instead of spending 10 seconds to lock your drat car.

Also, you deserve to spend 15 minutes locating your car if you can't figure out how to locate it after 3 hours somewhere. Really, when I'm in a large parking lot, I use the camera on my phone to take pictures of the markings so that I can find my car with ease when I return. It works especially well when you park it at an airport for 10 days.

MisterBibs posted:

Personal peeve: I hate tightly-constructed boxes with a product in it. I understand that shippers don't want to pay for 'wasted' space in their deliveries, but man alive I hate having to destroy a box to get to what I paid for because there's a low-level vaccum at play.

It's not a wasting space issue, it's an issue of making sure that your goods aren't going to get damaged during transport. The less space there is for it to move around the less likely it is to get damaged or destroyed.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Mine is the opposite: I hate very large boxes with a product the size of an iPhone in them. All that wasted space with those plastic balloon things in there for one small item.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MightyJoe36 posted:

Yeah, their whole bench pretty much consists of Old White Guys.

If someone like Sanders wins the nomination the third party candidate will be a centrist dem, possibly running some kind of horrifying unity ticket with like, John Kasich.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is Buttegieg still in play? Imagine a world where the first openly gay president is named Pete Buttegieg.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know what's really annoying? Those security things that want you to type a blurry series of numbers and letters, where you never get it right the first time no matter how careful you are. Even the "CLICK EVERY IMAGE WITH A TREE" ones are better.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know what's really annoying? Those security things that want you to type a blurry series of numbers and letters, where you never get it right the first time no matter how careful you are. Even the "CLICK EVERY IMAGE WITH A TREE" ones are better.

I like the ones that just say "Meh, just click whatever, we don't even care any more"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I hate that they still ********* passwords. Like people get hacked by others looking over their shoulder and physically stealing the pw.

Especially in conjunction with various bullshit requirements so you can’t tell if you’ve typed your appropriate quota of capitqls and numbers and symbols and kanji

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hate that they still ********* passwords. Like people get hacked by others looking over their shoulder and physically stealing the pw.

Especially in conjunction with various bullshit requirements so you can’t tell if you’ve typed your appropriate quota of capitqls and numbers and symbols and kanji

My employer added a 14 character minimum last year without telling anyone and I had to wait for IT to show up because I got locked out due to assuming it was because I put the wrong password in to begin with.

This year they updated the policy to every 60 days. I get it, but god drat, passwords are hard, this is getting ridiculous.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

My employer added a 14 character minimum last year without telling anyone and I had to wait for IT to show up because I got locked out due to assuming it was because I put the wrong password in to begin with.

This year they updated the policy to every 60 days. I get it, but god drat, passwords are hard, this is getting ridiculous.

Going too far with that stuff just means that people will write down their password somewhere, reducing your security instead of improving it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Andrast posted:

Going too far with that stuff just means that people will write down their password somewhere, reducing your security instead of improving it

I have no doubt that there are passwords written everywhere around here. I have a suspicion that the policy is passed down from corporate, who as everyone knows is always out of touch with everything ever. This particular building opened in 1977, and there are people who have been here since then, and are not particularly computer literate.

Which relates to a peeve of mine: I have to deal with some people here who are in their 40's that that seem to think what I do is magic. I mean yeah, if you're coming from 2D AutoCAD, sure a 3D model in Inventor looks like magic, but I can't just instantly change things, let alone with the pitiful sketch you've given me, especially when you added a zero to the number, which changes the size of things quite a bit.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

MightyJoe36 posted:

Mine is the opposite: I hate very large boxes with a product the size of an iPhone in them. All that wasted space with those plastic balloon things in there for one small item.

Giant box, iPhone sized item placed in the very bottom, and a couple of air pillows set on top of it as if that does anything to pad it. The padding needs to be AROUND the item, dumbasses! You can't just set them next to each other!

Lately, a lot of places have been using padded envelopes instead of using boxes at all. That means that whenever I order a Switch game or book, that poo poo is folded in half and pulverized by the time it gets to me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is Buttegieg still in play? Imagine a world where the first openly gay president is named Pete Buttegieg.

Trump would call him "buttgeek" in the first debate and destroy his whole campaign.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Giant box, iPhone sized item placed in the very bottom, and a couple of air pillows set on top of it as if that does anything to pad it. The padding needs to be AROUND the item, dumbasses! You can't just set them next to each other!

Lately, a lot of places have been using padded envelopes instead of using boxes at all. That means that whenever I order a Switch game or book, that poo poo is folded in half and pulverized by the time it gets to me.

I had a somewhat expensive piece of glass reach me via padded envelope. The outside looked hosed to poo poo. My heart skipped a beat, but it was also wrapped in bubble wrap so it was ok.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Henchman of Santa posted:

Trump would call him "buttgeek" in the first debate and destroy his whole campaign.

He needs to pre-empt it. Hire some goons on as consultants. Pretty sure SA came up with “Butt for Chair” when he ran for DNC chairman

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He needs to pre-empt it. Hire some goons on as consultants. Pretty sure SA came up with “Butt for Chair” when he ran for DNC chairman

Didn't the guy who won (or came second - I can't remember - one or the other) get done for abusing his wife or something?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Didn't the guy who won (or came second - I can't remember - one or the other) get done for abusing his wife or something?

Yup, the runner up. And he was the “progressive” one. I think it was a girlfriend.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here is another things that I find annoying: when you open a new email, then go and do something else, and when you come back to the email you can't remember who it was meant to be to or what it was meant to be about.

And another one: why is it that even when I’ve got my hair cut to my preferred length (short - suedehead sort of length) it still sticks out noticeably in the morning. Doesn’t matter how short it is, it still sticks out.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Jan 11, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I desk jockey and pet dogs at a vet’s office for way more money and better hours than my years in loving restaurants and people respect me *more*

It’s real dumb. Life is way easier now and I am not and never intended to be a Veterinary Professional but I wear scrubs, get weekends off, and often have a clipboard so I must be Talented. gently caress off. Tip your waiter.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yup, the runner up. And he was the “progressive” one. I think it was a girlfriend.

Did they resign?

Anyway, here are more things that annoy me:

The way I can never remember details about a book or a movie after I have finished it; I only ever remember broad strokes about the plot.

The way every time I'm at the gym, there always seems to be one person who's doing nothing but sitting on the machines taking selfies, which is blocking access to equipment for people who actually wants to use it.

That one old man who was at the gym I used to go to who would walk around barefoot and leave the most disgusting sweat footprints everywhere, and then sweat all over equipment and not clean it up.

And a more specific example: some time ago when I was at the gym, there was one older guy who would load up the weight machine with a whole bunch of plates, struggle and strain through one rep and then scribble something in his notebook and move off to some other area without removing the weight as is basic gym etiquette. To this day, I have no idea what on Earth he was getting out of that. You're doing one rep and you were barely able to do that one.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

And a more specific example: some time ago when I was at the gym, there was one older guy who would load up the weight machine with a whole bunch of plates, struggle and strain through one rep and then scribble something in his notebook and move off to some other area without removing the weight as is basic gym etiquette. To this day, I have no idea what on Earth he was getting out of that. You're doing one rep and you were barely able to do that one.

The ego is hungry and wants to be fed.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

And another one: why is it that even when I’ve got my hair cut to my preferred length (short - suedehead sort of length) it still sticks out noticeably in the morning. Doesn’t matter how short it is, it still sticks out.

I got my whole head buzzed to, like, #3 about a month ago, and yep, every morning I've still got loving Inspector Gadget hair.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When rims of drinking glasses start to crumble

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

gently caress off. Tip your waiter.

After doing my time as a server, I tip pretty good. It's been 8 years, but it still hurts when I see someone being a lovely tipper.

Over Christmas I had the fortune of going to the Outback with my family, and with their general neediness, it pained me that they left a used gift card and just enough on the check to make it to that standard 18% tip, I had to sneak some cash on the table when they weren't looking.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Mobile versions of websites. Almost always there's an image or a table or something that is too wide and it doesn't let you scroll side to side. Whyyy?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

After doing my time as a server, I tip pretty good. It's been 8 years, but it still hurts when I see someone being a lovely tipper.

Over Christmas I had the fortune of going to the Outback with my family, and with their general neediness, it pained me that they left a used gift card and just enough on the check to make it to that standard 18% tip, I had to sneak some cash on the table when they weren't looking.

I've never been a server, but I go out enough to know they have a lovely job so I always tip extremely well unless my server is really bad or has an attitude.

I always try to tip in cash as well so they don't have to claim it on their taxes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's something that bothers me: when I watch a dvd on my laptop, I always get distracted by other stuff I have open. I can watch a dvd on a dvd player and work on something else and divide my attention evenly and effectively but if they're both on the same device, I keep pausing the thing to do something else and keep losing the plot.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's something that bothers me: when I watch a dvd on my laptop, I always get distracted by other stuff I have open. I can watch a dvd on a dvd player and work on something else and divide my attention evenly and effectively but if they're both on the same device, I keep pausing the thing to do something else and keep losing the plot.

I never realize how often I look stuff up based on what I'm watching until I have to alt+tab out of it. I'm the guy with IMDB and Wikipedia open on my phone while watching a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DontMockMySmock posted:

Mobile versions of websites. Almost always there's an image or a table or something that is too wide and it doesn't let you scroll side to side. Whyyy?

Any mobile site that bombards you with “IT WORKS BETTER IN OUR APP!” I assure you I’d get the app if I came here enough or liked you.