Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Abbott is a quisling and doesn't want to cross business Texas but the sort of person who'd attend a Trump rally wants it and I dunno if y'all have been here lately but that's like 40% of the population. That it's people not living near the border is inconsequential.

Dan Patrick wants the wall and Dan Patrick is the one with power in Texas, not Abbott

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

LingcodKilla posted:

Most of those losers seem to just drink and stay in their houses playing video games all weekend.

HEY BUDDY :mad:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

As always, the comment section is just real real dumb

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2019-01/senseless-government-shutdown-harming-coast-guard-families

quote:

Today, with the government shutdown in its third week, it is beyond troubling that Coast Guard men and women are being unnecessarily subjected to financial hardship while enduring the operational, mission-related circumstances that are accepted as part of their compact with their country.

These are the Americans who flew over the rooftops of New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina, saving thousands from flooded homes. These are the men and women who were the first ashore in Haiti after the earthquake, rendering aid, treating wounds, and delivering children in unsanitary, primitive conditions. These are the heroes who mobilized to respond to the worst marine environmental disaster in the nation’s history. These are the selfless service men and women who provided medical support to other Department of Homeland Security agencies to screen incoming airline passengers during the Ebola crisis and today are supporting the Department on the southwest border. These are the people who stand search-and-rescue watch and patrol our coastal waters and the Arabian Gulf. And these are the Americans who have accompanied the remains of my friends and colleagues to their final resting place in Arlington Cemetery, rendering honors and exercising the manners of our profession.

I am the son of a Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer and brother of a Coast Guard spouse. Our family’s life has revolved around the service my parents revered. A part of the “Greatest Generation”, they emerged from the depression and World War II to raise a family that moved frequently and fearlessly. They were tough and resilient.

I will turn 70 shortly and have had 47 addresses in my life. And while my parents and later my wife and I treated each new transfer as an adventure, there were tests and challenges. In the early 1950s my father got a no-notice transfer from Mobile, Alabama to Ketchikan, Alaska after it became clear our family was not a good fit in the segregated South. My father left immediately but it took our family months to catch up. We arrived in Ketchikan from a nearby island that had an airport, making the final leg by Coast Guard small boat with our luggage. Despite these and other challenges my mother and father believed until the day they died that the Coast Guard was the best thing that ever happened to our family.

Even with the arduous move to Ketchikan, they believed Alaska was the best place we ever lived. Our family was close even though my father deployed extensively on a large buoy tender as far as the Bering Sea. It wasn’t always easy. Before modern pay systems, direct deposit and allotments, service members were often paid in cash while at sea where they had no access to banks or the ability to send money to dependents. Families had to carefully plan around deployments.

In those times my mother had her priorities—food and rent came first and you dealt with other needs as you could. That said, the single most searing memory of my childhood, even more than the experience in Mobile, was watching my mother cope with my father’s unanticipated extended absence and little cash. My brother, sister, and I had been given banks for Christmas by family friends. They came locked and could only be opened at the bank where our saved change was then deposited to our savings accounts. One day during my Dad’s extended absence, we found our mother in the kitchen crying with a hammer and screw driver trying to open the banks, so we would have milk money for our lunches we took to school. Not even that experience dampened her love for my father and the Coast Guard, but it is an experience I have never forgotten.

In the years that followed we faced other financial challenges. We had transfers during difficult housing markets, forcing decisions on whether to endure a long family separation, risk a short sale, or managing a rental across a continent. In each case we persevered. Pay systems gradually evolved from cash payments to checks, then to allotment checks to dependents, then to direct deposit and modern ATM and automated payment options. We now have on-line self-service for most pay actions. However, the starting point is getting paid.

Coast Guard men and women have always served a cause greater than themselves based on the service’s core values of honor, respect, and devotion to duty. Honor is the compact you make with yourself and how you will demonstrate your character by your behavior. Respect is the compact you make with those around you—your family, community, fellow service members, and citizens. Devotion to duty is the compact you make with your country when you agree to become a member of the Coast Guard’s “Long Blue Line.” You take an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States and subject yourself to the Uniform Code of Military Justice—a higher standard than that demanded of your fellow citizens, but willingly accepted.

I am often asked what was the hardest thing I ever had to do as Commandant of the Coast Guard. No answer comes a close second. It is handing the American flag to the survivor of one of our heroes or telling a family we were unable to save their loved one. Hard tasks, for sure, but ones we accept with gratitude that we are able to honor our shipmates and those we serve. That is our compact with ourselves, those around us, and our country.

The responsibility of the government to our citizens and those who serve the nation is equally clear and unambiguous. It begins with “We the people” and sets clear guidance … “establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare.” “We the people” means Americans, all Americans. It does not distinguish between political affiliation, race, gender, sexual orientation, income level, geographic home, employer, or any other means by which citizens are often categorized or minoritized in this country.

I never believed it would be necessary to remind the leaders of all branches of government of their constitutional responsibilities, but it appears they have subordinated the “general welfare” of their fellow citizens to parochial interests. While this political theater ensues, there are junior Coast Guard petty officers, with families, who are already compensated at levels below the national poverty level, who will not be paid during this government shutdown. There is no reasonable answer as to why these families have to endure this hardship in the absence of a national emergency. These leaders should ponder how they would tell a spouse at Arlington that his or her survivor benefits might be at risk—again, for no reason. I’m glad my mother and father are not alive to see it.

Admiral Allen gave an interview on this topic on 9 January 2019 on National Public Radio.

Admiral Allen served as the 23rd Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
BUT THE BROWN PEOPLE ARE GOING TO STEAL MY TOOLS AND RAPE MY DAUGHTER says person who is one bad day away from committing a multiple murder/suicide

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
lmao

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1083531644785455104?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

https://twitter.com/neontaster/status/1083540309588537344

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/willsommer/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Edit: what

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...ingawful.com%2F

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 11, 2019

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I thought we were abandoning articles. Shouldn’t it be “things will be drastically better with Wall”?

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

The drat souther border is leaking, see America is above Mexico, so when America leaks (at a rate of 300 Americans a week) they fall down into Mexico. It's basic physics, what don't you understand? Things with holes in them leak down.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So is that dumb hicks offing themselves with opoids?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Thwomp posted:

I thought we were abandoning articles. Shouldn’t it be “things will be drastically better with Wall”?

WHERE THE HECK IS WALL

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

So is that dumb hicks offing themselves with opoids?

Yeah but he probably omitted heroin to scare chuds. It could be a mistake but he's also a piece of poo poo so it's probably not

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wall and Benjamin Ghazi are protecting Americans from the Ebola Terrorists and Crooked H crossing the southern border.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

It was a talking point from Hannity. It's about heroin. Pretty close to accurate, 300 Americans die per week to heroin, 90% comes from the border. He conveniently left out that it's mostly smuggled through ports, not the open border areas.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1083558217135853568

Edit: also he mangled the quote, obviously, because he's a gigantic idiot

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 11, 2019

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

EBB posted:

WHERE THE HECK IS WALL

Wheel

e: Please tell me you've watched Father Ted. If not, do so, it'll make you feel better. You'll know why I said that afterwards.

Hexyflexy fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 11, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Heroin is loving obsolete when anyone can get pure powder fentanyl analogues by the pound from china straight through the mail.

That's not even a drug problem, it's a democratized chemical weapons problem.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
What blocks the stairs
Alone or in pairs,
And stops your neighbor's dog?
What's great for a whack,
And fits on your back?
It's wall, wall, wall

It's wall, it's wall,
It's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's wall, it's wall, it's better than bad, it's good.

Everyone wants a wall
You're gonna love it, wall
Come on and get your wall
Everyone needs a wall
Wall wall wall

*Whistle*
Wall from Trumpo

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nosirr, I don't like it at all.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Log is older than Wall :colbert:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Log is older than Wall :colbert:

Did someone say log!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C7mNr5WMjA

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Do you have any rubber nipples?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EBB posted:

Do you have any rubber nipples?

Call the police...

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Big dog food recall.

quote:

Sunshine Mills, Inc.
Old Glory Hearty Turkey and Cheese Flavor Dog Food
UPC 0-70155-14297-9 – 12.75 lb. bag
TC3 29 October 2018
TA1 30 October 2018
TA2 30 October 2018
TC1 30 October 2018
TC2 30 October 2018
TC3 30 October 2018
Evolve Chicken & Rice Puppy Dry Dog Food
UPC 0-73657-00862-0 – 14 lb. bag
UPC 0-73657-00863-7 – 28 lb. bag
Sportsman’s Pride Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food
UPC 0-70155-10566-0 – 40 lb. bag
UPC 0-70155-10564-0 – 40 lb. bag
Triumph Chicken & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
UPC 0-73657-00873-6 – 3.5 lb. bag
UPC 0-73657-00874-3 – 16 lb. bag
UPC 0-73657-00875-0 – 30 lb. bag
Ahold Delhaize (firm has not yet issued recall press)
Nature’s Promise Chicken & Brown Rice Dog Food
UPC 068826718472 – 14 lb. bag
All lot codes
UPC 068826718471 – 28 lb. bag
All lot codes
UPC 068826718473 – 4 lb. bag
All lot codes
Nature’s Place Real Country Chicken and Brown Rice Dog Food
UPC 72543998959 – 5 lb. bag
All lot codes
UPC 72543998960 – 15 lb. bag
All lot codes
Kroger (12/5/18)
Abound Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe Dog Food
UPC 11110-83556 – 4 lb. bag
All lot codes
King Soopers (12/5/18)
Abound Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe Dog Food
UPC 11110-83556 – 4 lb. bag
All lot codes
UPC 11110-83573 – 14 lb. bag
All lot codes
UPC 11110-89076 – 24 lb. bag
All lot codes
ELM Pet Foods, Inc. (11/29/18)
ELM Chicken and Chickpea Recipe
UPC 0-70155-22507-8 – 3 lb. bag
D2 26 FEB 2019
TE1 30 APR 2019
TD1 5 SEP 2019
TD2 5 SEP 2019
UPC 0-70155-22513-9 – 28 lb. bag
TB3 6 APR 2019
TA1 2 JULY 2019
TI1 2 JULY 2019
ELM K9 Naturals Chicken Recipe
UPC 0-70155-22522-9 – 40 lb. bag
TB3 14 Sep 2019
TA2 22 Sep 2019
TB2 11 Oct 2019
ANF, Inc. (11/28/18)
ANF Lamb and Rice Dry Dog Food
UPC 9097231622 – 3 kg bag
Best by Nov 23 2019
UPC 9097203300 – 7.5 kg bag
Best by Nov 20 2019
Lidl (Orlando brand) (11/6/18)
Orlando Grain-Free Chicken & Chickpea Superfood Recipe Dog Food
Lidl product number 215662
TI1 3 Mar 2019
TB2 21 Mar 2019
TB3 21 Mar 2019
TA2 19 Apr 2019
TB1 15 May 2019
TB2 15 May 2019
Natural Life Pet Products (11/2/18, expanded 11/9/18)
Chicken & Potato Dry Dog Food
UPC 0-12344-08175-1 – 17.5 lb. bag
Best by dates range: December 4, 2019 through August 10, 2020
Nutrisca (11/2/18)
Chicken and Chickpea Dry Dog Food
UPC 8-84244-12495-7 – 4 lb. bag
UPC 8-84244-12795-8 – 15 lb. bag
UPC 8-84244-12895-5 – 28 lb. bag
Best by date range: February 25, 2020 through September 13, 2020

WDVM 25: Several recalls issued by the FDA for dry dog food.
https://www.localdvm.com/news/several-recalls-issued-by-the-fda-for-dry-dog-food/1696450156

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

facialimpediment posted:

It was a talking point from Hannity. It's about heroin. Pretty close to accurate, 300 Americans die per week to heroin, 90% comes from the border. He conveniently left out that it's mostly smuggled through ports, not the open border areas.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1083558217135853568

Edit: also he mangled the quote, obviously, because he's a gigantic idiot

Where was this energy when Black neighborhoods were being ravaged by crack?

Oh wait lol they were darkies

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1083579511889973250

gently caress Joe Lieberman forever

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Joe has hosed the goat over and over through his career.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
So is Cohen actually going to testify next month, or is Pissbaby going to have him whacked?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

nwin posted:

So is that funding currently being used to restore those states from past disasters, or is it funding allocated for anticipated disasters?

Reason I ask-if it’s for anticipated disasters and they end up having a disaster, won’t they just allocate more cash for it?

If the former, Jesus gently caress man.

I'm a bit slow on the uptake, remember the other day he said he was pulling disaster response funds from California because it was "mismanaged"? At first I thought he was just blathering about the dumdum meanie heads on the other coast, I think he might be putting this plan in place already.

Hopefully the two are unrelated, guess we'll see.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm a bit slow on the uptake, remember the other day he said he was pulling disaster response funds from California because it was "mismanaged"? At first I thought he was just blathering about the dumdum meanie heads on the other coast, I think he might be putting this plan in place already.

Hopefully the two are unrelated, guess we'll see.

Those were FEMA funds he threatened to pull, which aren't the same.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Huge loving pieces of poo poo god drat

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

EBB posted:

Joe has hosed the goat over and over through his career.

He's a garbage piece of poo poo and I hate him

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Awwww poor baby

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Yo Slippery posted in the coldwar airpower thread

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You can leave any time bud

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

McNally posted:

Those were FEMA funds he threatened to pull, which aren't the same.

Ok, that's a relief.

He is doing his damnedest to not get the hint they don't want him there anymore.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

TL; DR Babby’s first trip to a foreign embassy and encountering bog standard security features there.

Edit: this “journalist” sure is a piece of work
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-37507542

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 11, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Syrian Lannister posted:

Yo Slippery posted in the coldwar airpower thread

He’s been posting in yospos for a while.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I wonder if all those people clamoring for a wall ever looked to our side of the pond. From 2000 to 2017, 33.000 people drowned in the Mediterranean Sea trying to get to Europe. 33k! In less than 20 years! And that's only those we know about, the real number is likely quite a bit higher. A wall or barrier that can be crossed with relatively little effort compared to crossing the Mediterranean Sea will ultimately not deter all who try to get a better life in the US. Especially not if climate change really starts to kick in and devastates the poorer countries in America.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Torrannor posted:

I wonder if all those people clamoring for a wall ever looked to our side of the pond. From 2000 to 2017, 33.000 people drowned in the Mediterranean Sea trying to get to Europe. 33k! In less than 20 years! And that's only those we know about, the real number is likely quite a bit higher. A wall or barrier that can be crossed with relatively little effort compared to crossing the Mediterranean Sea will ultimately not deter all who try to get a better life in the US. Especially not if climate change really starts to kick in and devastates the poorer countries in America.

So what you’re saying is.... build a moat too? Get one of those pool skimmers to remove the bodies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

LingcodKilla posted:

So what you’re saying is.... build a moat too? Get one of those pool skimmers to remove the bodies?

Have the Army Corp of Engineers deepen and expand the Rio Grande all the way to the Colorado and Gulf of California.

Solve the immigration and water crisis in one project!