Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Vasudus posted:

The VA is unaffected by the shutdown.

Would you happen to know if employees pay will be affected? The people at my work have no idea if they are going to get paid next week or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Barring some sort of obscure use cases that I can't think of, the VA should be fully funded until September along with a handful of other agencies. Their appropriations bills are specifically off-cycle for this exact situation.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vasudus posted:

Barring some sort of obscure use cases that I can't think of, the VA should be fully funded until September along with a handful of other agencies. Their appropriations bills are specifically off-cycle for this exact situation.

BUT WHAT IF THE SHUTDOWN LASTS YEARS?!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Trump is going to make us build the wall to get our college money. 10 feet per credit hour.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Vasudus posted:

Even the GOP isn't dumb enough to turn off the spigot on VA and Social Security checks.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

GD_American posted:

Even the GOP isn't dumb enough to turn off the spigot on VA and Social Security checks.

Lol Right

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

GD_American posted:

Deep down you know this isn't true.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

GD_American posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE nope nope nope nope.

The GOP of today will absolutely flush the old and the PTSD welfare queens down the shitter if it means getting what they want.

And this is coming from someone who voted for Bob Barr in 2008 for chrissake.

May evil monkeys visit Mitch 'The Bitch' McConnell in the dead of night and eat his face.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Just got my letter from the VA for this semester:

Jeers to Yellow Ribbon not covering all the difference for next semester

Cheers to my clinical internship counting as in residence so I get school zip code housing allowance instead of remote/online pittance amount

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

BigDave posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE nope nope nope nope.

The GOP of today will absolutely flush the old and the PTSD welfare queens down the shitter if it means getting what they want.

And this is coming from someone who voted for Bob Barr in 2008 for chrissake.

May evil monkeys visit Mitch 'The Bitch' McConnell in the dead of night and eat his face.

Their end pipe dream is some weird Randian paradise where the VA and SSA is padlocked shut forever.

None of the GOP Congressmen have the guts to actually issue a killing stroke- even Paul Ryan, who had a murderboner for Social Security (despite it, you know, paying for his college), tried "reform".

They'd never turn the checks off because then the retired E-6 with EGAs all over his Dodge Durango who says government can never do anything right would go apeshit the first time his gubmint check wasn't deposited. It'd force their base to confront their cognitive dissonance when it comes to their hatred of government versus their reliance on it.

You notice VA and SSA are fully funded right now? That's not by accident.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So GI Bill payments are being sent out? I’m back in class this month.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

This seems like a neat program, although maybe this email should have gone out earlier.

quote:

Dear Student,

Textbook for Troops is open to all military connected students, regardless of GI Bill® status. Textbooks can be checked out (free!). The Office of Veteran and Military Affairs will not reserve books for any student nor can mail any textbooks. Students who do not return textbooks will forfeit their ability to rent textbooks.

Textbook for Troops open for veterans and service members only January 8th at 8AM on in 3000 Houser Hall.

Textbook for troops opens for all military affiliated students on January 9th at 8 AM in 3000 Houser Hall

All textbooks are on a first come, first serve basis.

The Office of Veteran and Military does not make any exceptions to our textbook policy. We cannot hold books for you, open early, or ship textbooks to you for any reason.
How to Use Textbook For Troops Database

Go to Supe Store website and generate a book list: https://www.universitysupplystore.com/buy_textbooks.asp
Got to Textbook for Troops Database
Do not login
“Search Catalog” by title or subject (Please note ISBN Numbers may not appear)
Click the title of the book you would like to check out
Scroll down to “Availability” to ensure the textbook is still available
Write down the Accession No and Title (Write Down on Paper for VMA staff)

PDF Instructions with pictures

Come to 3rd Floor of Houser Hall and the textbook will be checked out on a first come, first serve basis.

Alex Bynum

Assistant Director of VMA

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

My vet program loans out books too

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Same. I need to bring in some of my old books that the VA paid for

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Last semester: put in my ticket for certification early, make sure I'm good to go. A month into the semester and my ticket is finally closed.

This semester: Wake up on January 2nd and think "OH poo poo! today is the last day to get my request for certification in!" My ticket is already closed and ready to go.

Maybe the shutdown gave everyone more free time to get things done.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Having a six week break between the 2nd and 3rd class periods is....something.

I guess I understand it's the nature of an EMBA program, but jesus. We're all struggling today.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I want to start my own media company. What would be a good resource to take advantage of during my last year in college business wise?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Soulex posted:

I want to start my own media company. What would be a good resource to take advantage of during my last year in college business wise?

i have no idea but i am v high and prepared to shitpost

probably check out any high-end or specialized film/video equipment you want to play with

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
try out a weird "rig" you've always wanted to use

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Anybody get their GI Bill housing allowance backpay yet? The claim we'll all get it by the end of the month, but they also say that dogs can't look up.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
When do you usually see BAH and book stipends pay out? I just finished my first week of school and already had to lay out $789 for books.. so I’m really rather curious as to when I can expect to see the money come in. This is my first time using Post 9/11 GI bill- if that matters for whatever reason. My monthly disability funbux paid out on time but nothing else has. Should I just expect it to happen randomly and without rhyme or reason? Are they just letting chaos reign down at the VA during the shutdown?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Soulex posted:

What do you not have experience in? Have you taken business/entrepreneurship classes? Does your school give access to startup stuff? Are there any business oriented contests? What do you need to move forward with your plan?

There are probably a lot but you might need to get specific about your needs.

Favorite class this quarter is definitely beginning jazz dance. I should've done this last year!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

What do you not have experience in? Have you taken business/entrepreneurship classes? Does your school give access to startup stuff? Are there any business oriented contests? What do you need to move forward with your plan?

Favorite class this quarter is definitely beginning jazz dance. I should've done this last year!

Nah this is a good start. My University has a business school iirc but no 'Intro to Small Business 101' thing. Most BA classes are 300 level to start.

Basically, I want to freelance and want to own my own media company. I want people or companies to hire me to do media work like photos or video for events. I dont know how to best prepare besides marketing. Do I go sole proprietorship or LLC? What happens when I hire people? I dont mind doing the freelance route but I also need to know about contracts, licensing media, and copyright.

I want to be my own boss basically. Taking photos or video work. I was thinking about making a patreon to help me get missing gear. If I could get help from my school though, that would be better.

Ill definitely look into seeing what my university offers for smaller business start ups.

Thanks. Im sure Ill have more questions

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm just wondering how long it'll take to post my degree on my transcript (obviously the diploma won't come until later). I won't believe it until I see it.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

DoktorLoken posted:

I'm just wondering how long it'll take to post my degree on my transcript (obviously the diploma won't come until later). I won't believe it until I see it.

It wasn't more than a couple of weeks. I had to get my graduation to post to my transcript in order to get my EIT cert certified. I graduated the first week of May and I got my cert by the end of the month and I think it was dated the 15th. I'd have to look when I go to work tomorrow.

And yeah, I think it was the second week of June when I got my diploma.

lightpole posted:

I highly encourage not waiving the PE credits.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

When do you usually see BAH and book stipends pay out? I just finished my first week of school and already had to lay out $789 for books.. so I’m really rather curious as to when I can expect to see the money come in. This is my first time using Post 9/11 GI bill- if that matters for whatever reason. My monthly disability funbux paid out on time but nothing else has. Should I just expect it to happen randomly and without rhyme or reason? Are they just letting chaos reign down at the VA during the shutdown?

So the normal cycle is you get paid at the end of the month for the fraction of the month classes were in session. So January BAH gets paid out around Feb 1st. Book stipends tend to show up at some point after they have processed your claim and paid the school the tuition.

Now in reality last semester it took a whole lot of weeks after the semester started before the processed it so I got nothing from the VA for months, then a huge lump sum of backpay, and then it started flowin normally again.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

BAH on the last business day of the month. I usually get the book stipend right around the first BAH payment of the semester.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Soulex posted:

Nah this is a good start. My University has a business school iirc but no 'Intro to Small Business 101' thing. Most BA classes are 300 level to start.

Basically, I want to freelance and want to own my own media company. I want people or companies to hire me to do media work like photos or video for events. I dont know how to best prepare besides marketing. Do I go sole proprietorship or LLC? What happens when I hire people? I dont mind doing the freelance route but I also need to know about contracts, licensing media, and copyright.

I want to be my own boss basically. Taking photos or video work. I was thinking about making a patreon to help me get missing gear. If I could get help from my school though, that would be better.

Ill definitely look into seeing what my university offers for smaller business start ups.

You want some sort of entrepreneurship class. You should be able to understand a business model canvas and then look for an accounting, finance and possibly an economics class if you can fit it. Not all of that will be covered so you will be doing your own research into a lot of it but entrepreneurship and accounting would be critical, an understanding of finance a little less so. Oh, you might be able to find a marketing class as well that would help.

Also, look for a negotiations class. It will be filled with common sense and "feelings" but mine was really good. If you cant find one then the book "Getting to Yes" is a good place to start. Everyone should look into this though.

Edit: if those classes are 300 level there shouldn't be a lot of pre-reqs. They are pretty straight forward, maybe some simple algebra. It might be possible to get a waiver or as below, ask around if there's a way to get in somehow.

Realistically, those basic classes should be pretty easy to find at a school with a business program and it's not like they require much more than a bit of excel knowledge and maybe some calculus depending on finance/economics.

Another place to look would be community college or apply for an MBA if there are benefits left. There are plenty of CSU's with affordable MBAs that meet almost all your needs and I know the local community college here competes in entrepreneurship competitions with my school.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I highly encourage not waiving the PE credits.

Just happy for another excuse to move around Mondays and Wednesdays instead of spending the days glued to a chair!

lightpole fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 11, 2019

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Soulex posted:

Do they have any undergraduate certificate programs you can take for a few classes? Basically something short of even a minor.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

lightpole posted:

You want some sort of entrepreneurship class. You should be able to understand a business model canvas and then look for an accounting, finance and possibly an economics class if you can fit it. Not all of that will be covered so you will be doing your own research into a lot of it but entrepreneurship and accounting would be critical, an understanding of finance a little less so. Oh, you might be able to find a marketing class as well that would help.

This is excellent advice, just do a little research on the program first. I took a few classes from the guy that did the Accounting classes for the entrepeneurship program at USA, and he had some horror stories of other programs that were basically giving Degrees in Positive Thinking.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DoktorLoken posted:

Do they have any undergraduate certificate programs you can take for a few classes? Basically something short of even a minor.

A minor. No intro class until 300 in management. I am very close to a minor in Visual Arts. It has been my goal but I might scrap it for business classes if it is a better idea.

lightpole posted:

Also, look for a negotiations class. It will be filled with common sense and "feelings" but mine was really good. If you cant find one then the book "Getting to Yes" is a good place to start. Everyone should look into this though.

Edit: if those classes are 300 level there shouldn't be a lot of pre-reqs. They are pretty straight forward, maybe some simple algebra. It might be possible to get a waiver or as below, ask around if there's a way to get in somehow.

Realistically, those basic classes should be pretty easy to find at a school with a business program and it's not like they require much more than a bit of excel knowledge and maybe some calculus depending on finance/economics.

Another place to look would be community college or apply for an MBA if there are benefits left. There are plenty of CSU's with affordable MBAs that meet almost all your needs and I know the local community college here competes in entrepreneurship competitions with my school.

Just happy for another excuse to move around Mondays and Wednesdays instead of spending the days glued to a chair!

Prereq is accounting and calculus I. I passed the idiot class. Not even algebra just 'adventures in random poo poo.' Ill try for the waiver as I have some experience with excel. Not a lot but I can conditional format and do some formulas. Ill ask my SVO what I should do regarding classes the school offers and if they have any helpful things.

Basically: i have 9 credits to graduate. All need to be upper. Might not be possible in the summer so hopefully I can squeeze accounting or econ in there. I am also prettyclose to getting a minor in Visual Arts. I need 6 or 9 upper division credits left. Summer intersession fulltime is 12 credits. I might want to graduate in the fall, it seems.

I speak to my counselor Wednesday so I am gonna try my damndest to get her to realize I should get my masters.

And hopefully let me get another camera.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
edit: "having a good day at school" was the upshot of this embarrassing post

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 11, 2019

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Soulex posted:

A minor. No intro class until 300 in management. I am very close to a minor in Visual Arts. It has been my goal but I might scrap it for business classes if it is a better idea.

Prereq is accounting and calculus I. I passed the idiot class. Not even algebra just 'adventures in random poo poo.' Ill try for the waiver as I have some experience with excel. Not a lot but I can conditional format and do some formulas. Ill ask my SVO what I should do regarding classes the school offers and if they have any helpful things.

Basically: i have 9 credits to graduate. All need to be upper. Might not be possible in the summer so hopefully I can squeeze accounting or econ in there. I am also prettyclose to getting a minor in Visual Arts. I need 6 or 9 upper division credits left. Summer intersession fulltime is 12 credits. I might want to graduate in the fall, it seems.

I speak to my counselor Wednesday so I am gonna try my damndest to get her to realize I should get my masters.

And hopefully let me get another camera.

Yeah look through any local community colleges to see if they have some programs as well. You can start a business without this stuff but those classes will save you time and resources. This is common stuff so it shouldn't be hard to find a local program of some sort I hope.

Econ is probably the least important, it just helps get you an idea of what is happening around you. Accounting, entrepreneurship and marketing will be the most relevant so focus on those. Finance is just below those three as it's about money management and gives a framework for making decisions. There are plenty of other useful classes probably but hopefully you find an entrepreneurship program or club that can help better guide you as well.

MBAs generally have classes structured towards people like you with maybe a limited business background so you get all that only they dont just throw you right at calc etc.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 11, 2019

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Glad the VA is funded. I'm a federal employee and thanks to BAH this whole furlough thing has been a 3 week Holiday instead of a mad dash to find some way to pay rent on the first

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
I'm starting to realize that this TA work next semester is beginning to encounter a whole lot of mission creep. Little alarming when the professor starts off the initial meeting talking about not just responsibilities and roles but creating dozens of hours of new content outside of those classes, reworking how everything flows, basically just taking the entire course back to first principles and figuring out what the gently caress the course is supposed to be.

gently caress it, fine. I'll recreate your entire course for you, but it sure as hell is gonna end up being more than a lovely little 3 credit independent study.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

In the bichem lab I work in for credit, the lab tech left on the 4th and the only postdoc leaves on Feb 1st. Gonna be a fun time for the three units I'm looking to get this semester.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I'm starting to realize that this TA work next semester is beginning to encounter a whole lot of mission creep. Little alarming when the professor starts off the initial meeting talking about not just responsibilities and roles but creating dozens of hours of new content outside of those classes, reworking how everything flows, basically just taking the entire course back to first principles and figuring out what the gently caress the course is supposed to be.

gently caress it, fine. I'll recreate your entire course for you, but it sure as hell is gonna end up being more than a lovely little 3 credit independent study.

I found I needed to set clearly defined goals and a scope of work with any PhD I work with and then grab them by the throat and hold them to it and constantly re-focus them on task. If you can do that, the next step is to get them organized and a plan in place in how you will proceed.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
Well, I have another week of chill before the semester starts.

Since I switched to Microelectronics, my GI Bill and poo poo got hosed up, and fixed. Same paperwork with the curriculum code changed. Bullshit.

3 skate practical classes and an electronics class. Technical Topics English and CAD over the Summer, Stats in the fall and Chem in the Spring.
Somehow I have to find a way to put an internship into that and a full time job.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

MrDesaude posted:

Well, I have another week of chill before the semester starts.

Since I switched to Microelectronics, my GI Bill and poo poo got hosed up, and fixed. Same paperwork with the curriculum code changed. Bullshit.

3 skate practical classes and an electronics class. Technical Topics English and CAD over the Summer, Stats in the fall and Chem in the Spring.
Somehow I have to find a way to put an internship into that and a full time job.

Just talk about how electricity really works and you should be good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Luckily my VA office was able to help me today. I was in the book store getting an english book to rent. Of course they don't have the physics lab book. Then I check my phone and see a voicemail that my Calculus III class was cancelled. Wow, thanks for waiting until the day before that class starts to tell me. I go to register for another one and it wont' let me, probably because the semester technically started today. One of the people in the VA office at my school were able to get me into that class. I have a feeling this semester is going to suck. I wouldn't be in this mess if the Digital systems class I have to take wasn't only offered at one time at once campus. That wouldn't be so bad, I don't mind having to drive to another campus. My issue is that the class is from 10-1 AKA at the beginning or end of every other 4 credit hour class. All the other classes I needed were either at the same time as each other, or during part of this class. I think this new calculus class I got into is a hybrid so maybe I won't have to drive over every time to that campus which isn't easily accessible from the campus my engineering class is at. I hate my school.