Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

buglord posted:

If im trying to replace my beater 2002 corolla with a slightly newer, still dirt cheap car, is the thread recommendation still a prius? Or is it better to go with any year corolla or civic? Trying to stay sub $10k, the lower the better. Ultimate goal is a car with as little financial impact as possible, while still being able to do car things like go on a road trip occasionally. Prius comes to mind because the higher MPG might offset the increased insurance premium, bringing total monthly cost lower.

e: also are Prius' as old as 2008 still decent? Do batteries get old and awful like smartphone batteries? Are Prius listings with "reconditioned batteries" a huge no-no?

Pretty much yes on the Prius. Hilariously cheap to own and operate. You can easily get a gen 3 (starts in MY 2010) at your budget with room to spare. I personally wouldn't shy away from examples with reconditioned batteries, provided they have documentation showing someone reputable did it. Just be prepared for a soul sucking driving experience and bro trucks cutting you off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Sits on Pilster posted:

Just be prepared for a soul sucking driving experience and bro trucks cutting you off.

My corolla looks like a convincing murdercar and makes all sorts of unholy noise driving so nowhere to go but up up up

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
So I think I've narrowed my choice down to a Hyundai Elantra. So I was looking at them on Auto Trader and holy gently caress, new 2019 Elantras for 12-13k? Why are they so cheap? Do I have to finance through Hyundai or something to get those prices? (Planned on paying in cash). Was gonna buy a lightly used one but a brand new one with a warranty for just a few thousand more than I had planned on spending seems worth it to me.

Dumb question but I'm really surprised because I thought the MSRP was in the 18-20K range until I actually started looking at them.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 9, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

buglord posted:

My corolla looks like a convincing murdercar and makes all sorts of unholy noise driving so nowhere to go but up up up

To answer an earlier question of yours: The Prius works fine with a degraded battery, at the cost of some fuel efficiency, but will not work with a 100% dead battery. 100% dead is a pretty uncommon failure, there are lots of Priuses with hundreds of thousands of miles without hybrid drivetrain failures.

Reconditioned battery is fine, maybe even a good thing. It just means they replaced some of the battery modules or possibly the complete assembly with a reconditioned unit.

Gen 2s are fine if you are looking to save a few bucks, but get a PPI from someone who knows hybrids.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Kibbles n Shits posted:

So I think I've narrowed my choice down to a Hyundai Elantra. So I was looking at them on Auto Trader and holy gently caress, new 2019 Elantras for 12-13k? Why are they so cheap? Do I have to finance through Hyundai or something to get those prices? (Planned on paying in cash). Was gonna buy a lightly used one but a brand new one with a warranty for just a few thousand more than I had planned on spending seems worth it to me.

Dumb question but I'm really surprised because I thought the MSRP was in the 18-20K range until I actually started looking at them.

sedans are dead and yeah don't buy a used one

even if you have to finance through captive finance to get those sweet sweet discounts, why wouldn't you do that if you're able to pay cash?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Crooked Booty posted:

Hi thread, please help me decide between a Mazda CX-5 and a Subaru Forester. I know the CX-5 is a thread favorite for lots of reasons that I probably don't need to restate, but there are some things I prefer about the Forester such as:
  • way better visibility out the sides and back
  • the back window is less slanted which means more standing room for my big hairy dog
  • between the cargo mat and the option for rear seat back protectors, there is no exposed carpet in the cargo area (i.e no soft surface that will become permanently embedded with dog hair immediately). On the CX-5, the whole cargo area is carpeted including the side walls. Even if I get a third party cargo mat and something to cover the back seats, the side walls will be hairy in no time.
The CX-5 is absolutely more fun to drive, it outranks the Forester in almost every objective measure, and the interior feels much nicer. In fact, it's so much nicer that I feel like I'm going to ruin it via my dog. We're also expecting a baby in May. I didn't particularly like the CRV or RAV4.

Please tell me why I should buy one or the other.

ETA: I am specifically looking at a 2019 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring vs a 2019 Subaru Forester Limited if that is relevant.

Having owned both relatively recently.... get the Madaza and a bunch of those giant sticky rollers from Costco.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Having owned both relatively recently.... get the Madaza and a bunch of those giant sticky rollers from Costco.

That will never get the dog hair out of the cheapass carpet on cardboard you get in a hatch. It’s nearly inevitable if you own dogs and have a carpeted hatch.

You can get a cover for the back but they’re not perfect and somewhat in the way. I wish more cars would be like the Element in this regard, the thing was built to get gross and be easy to clean.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Sorry if this question has already been hashed over a handful of times, but now that I've narrowed down my searches for sub 10k Prius's, I've come to a weird dillemma. I see models from 2010 and 2013 which meet at the same price point, the difference being mileage. Does one factor weigh more than another?

Is there an upper limit I need to be aware of with mileage? I see ones as recent as 2013 with mileage has high as 144k for $8k .

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

even if you have to finance through captive finance to get those sweet sweet discounts, why wouldn't you do that if you're able to pay cash?

I quit my job to go back to school so zero percent chance I can get financing otherwise I would.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

That will never get the dog hair out of the cheapass carpet on cardboard you get in a hatch. It’s nearly inevitable if you own dogs and have a carpeted hatch.

Perhaps I'm a slob with low standards but I thought those coarse stones worked well on pet hair in carpet? I guess that's more a question for the (excellent) detailing thread.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

buglord posted:

Sorry if this question has already been hashed over a handful of times, but now that I've narrowed down my searches for sub 10k Prius's, I've come to a weird dillemma. I see models from 2010 and 2013 which meet at the same price point, the difference being mileage. Does one factor weigh more than another?

Is there an upper limit I need to be aware of with mileage? I see ones as recent as 2013 with mileage has high as 144k for $8k .

i'd bias towards PPI results but generally lower mileage is better than newer years. real maintenance records are better than newer years or lower miles.

Scheduled services for the Prius are pretty normal - 5,000 mile oil changes, 15,000 mile visual, 30,000 filters, so if it's near a break point it's better if the service has been done. There's not a lot that goes wrong on the Prius.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You can get a cover for the back but they’re not perfect and somewhat in the way. I wish more cars would be like the Element in this regard, the thing was built to get gross and be easy to clean.

The only way to really keep those carpets free of pet hair is to just constantly stay on top it, vacuum and roll at least once a week or you'll never get it clean.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i'd bias towards PPI results but generally lower mileage is better than newer years.

What is your thinking here? I’ve heard people, albeit outside the context of purchasing a used Prius in particular, say the opposite too, which is that newer model year is more important than mileage when shopping for used cars.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You're missing the main point there - a good PPI is way more important than either year or mileage. Mileage only matters if the car is nearing a major event. 90k and 100k are functionally the same, but the perceived value of 100k is noticeably lower because of that extra digit on the odometer. Likewise if the car has an expensive 60k/120k maintenance that is due soon (or overdue) that hasn't been done, or if it was just recently taken care of.

Year, within a single generation of a vehicle, matters more if there have been any incremental upgrades during the production run. I wouldn't expect many of those on a Toyota since they tend to get it right the first time.

But a good PPI is far more valuable. It takes remarkably little time for someone to trash a car if they're truly abusing it, whereas an older higher mileage car that was garaged anytime it was parked and meticulously maintained could still look / drive like new.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Does anyone know of any long term range tests on electric only cars? I'm considering if it would be feasible to replace our car with a used electric car, but I don't know how much of a range hit a ~5 year old battery takes. I imagine it's different for different manufacturers (and obviously each individual car).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

silence_kit posted:

What is your thinking here? I’ve heard people, albeit outside the context of purchasing a used Prius in particular, say the opposite too, which is that newer model year is more important than mileage when shopping for used cars.

newer model year can be important if that gets you in to a newer generation with more and better features. for instance a 2010 prius is better than a 2008 prius because the 2010 is a gen III and the 2008 is a gen II. however, within the same generation of vehicle, mileage is more important than age in years. a car's lifetime is generally mileage constrained, not age constrained.

but none of this matters as much as a good PPI and service records

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Grumpwagon posted:

Does anyone know of any long term range tests on electric only cars? I'm considering if it would be feasible to replace our car with a used electric car, but I don't know how much of a range hit a ~5 year old battery takes. I imagine it's different for different manufacturers (and obviously each individual car).

The only ones I'm aware of are the community tests that a bunch of Leaf owners did once they realized their batteries were degrading insanely fast.

Since the first gen Leaf is, as far as I know, the only pure electric without proper thermal control on the battery, it's the only one with such severe degradation. It also has so little range to start with that losing 30 miles can really gently caress you.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

Grumpwagon posted:

I don't know how long the batteries generally last, but Nissan Leafs have a battery warranty that is good for eight years and will replace the battery if it falls below a certain capacity (75% of original maybe?). The warranty transfers to the next owner. I think Tesla has a pretty solid warranty as well although I do not remember if it transfers.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Proposed Budget: $25-30k
New or Used: used
Body Style: wagon
How will you be using the car?: commuting
What aspects are most important to you? Nice interior, decent (200+) hp, some gizmos, would prefer a manual but can live with paddle shifters

Was in a wreck with my GTI. I'm guessing it'll be written off given the age, but may be repairable. Anyway, looking at my options.

Another GTI would meet all my wants, but I've had this one for 11+ years and want a change. The new Mazda3 looks cool, but not available yet.

Started looking at wagons. Used BMW 3-series and Volvos are in my price range, but I don't know much about them. Can anyone share insights on quality, reliability, driveability, etc?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Uthor posted:

Proposed Budget: $25-30k
New or Used: used
Body Style: wagon
How will you be using the car?: commuting
What aspects are most important to you? Nice interior, decent (200+) hp, some gizmos, would prefer a manual but can live with paddle shifters

Was in a wreck with my GTI. I'm guessing it'll be written off given the age, but may be repairable. Anyway, looking at my options.

Another GTI would meet all my wants, but I've had this one for 11+ years and want a change. The new Mazda3 looks cool, but not available yet.

Started looking at wagons. Used BMW 3-series and Volvos are in my price range, but I don't know much about them. Can anyone share insights on quality, reliability, driveability, etc?

Buy a Subaru Outback if you want the cheapest to run, most reliable, longest lasting.

BMW for the most fun. Audi is best looking.

Volvo just isnt a great choice as its not the best drivers car, it will be expensive to repair, and have more quality issues than any of the other brands in this class. If you want luxury, get the Audi or BMW, which are still cheaper to keep running and a better package than Volvo.

VW GTI is still a good choice, a fair balance between the practicality of the Sube and the luxury of the BMW.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Assuming you want a wagon and not a hatch, golf sportwagen with a chip

If hatches are ok the civic hatch is decent if you can stomach the exterior, as is the current mazda3, and the Elantra GT

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I kinda want to get away from VAG just to have something different.

I like the features of the Civic, but the outside is ugly and the interior isn't as nice as I'd like.

Thanks for the advice.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Double Post!

Thanks for pointing this out. I had looked at the Veloster in the past (something about the weird three door design speaks to me), but I saw one in person and wasn't sure I dug it. And the hatch opening looks tiny. The Elantra GT isn't as quirky, but I'm kinda liking it.

I also kinda like the Kia Soul, but seems like the manual is only on the lowest spec. :|

(If I get a small hatch, I want a manual full stop.)

Again, thanks for the advice and pointing out new options for me to look into.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Uthor posted:

Double Post!

Thanks for pointing this out. I had looked at the Veloster in the past (something about the weird three door design speaks to me), but I saw one in person and wasn't sure I dug it. And the hatch opening looks tiny. The Elantra GT isn't as quirky, but I'm kinda liking it.

I also kinda like the Kia Soul, but seems like the manual is only on the lowest spec. :|

(If I get a small hatch, I want a manual full stop.)

Again, thanks for the advice and pointing out new options for me to look into.

can i perhaps recommend a Mini Cooper S, op? :mrgw:

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Just for fun, how bad is an 06 S Type?
There's one with 118k miles for like 4k.

This car will never run, right?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TheReverend posted:

It won’t be good, but exactly how bad depends on if it’s got a Jaguar motor or Ford motor. It’s highly related to the Lincoln LS.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TheReverend posted:

I wouldn’t wish that car on my worst enemy.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheReverend posted:

There are about 100 other quirky cars I would recommend instead of that piece of poo poo. Its got none of the coolness of a true retro Jaguar, and has all of terribleness of pre-modern Ford. Its not that luxurious and the fit and finish is 90s Ford poor. Its not good at anything but having a great brand name, that just recently got good again, some 15 years after the production of this car you are looking at.

If you want to waste a ton of money wrenching on a newer vintage luxury car, buy a BMW or Benz from the last 30 years, which will all be universally better in comfort,performance and reliability than this fordjag poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the x type is worse but that's not saying much

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah I had a few drinks but I was pretty sure it was a bad car. Thanks for clarifying!

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Proposed Budget: $35,000 max, but it’d be nice to stay closer to $25,000
New or Used: New sounds nice, but no real preference at the end of the day.
Body Style: 4 doors. Crossover/small SUV (probably?).
How will you be using the car?: 80% city/highway driving. 20% hiking, camping, snow trips--I would like to take those 20% trips deeper down forest service/logging roads than we currently do.
What aspects are most important to you?: (1) reliability, (2) ability to adventure on forest/logging roads, (3) practical for city use, (4) not-terrible fuel economy would be nice, (5) new car gizmos like heated seats and a nice stereo are cool just because our current car is the only one we've owned--not deal breakers, though.

This is more of an exploratory post. We’re not in a hurry or must-buy situation, but I’ve got an itch and I’d like some help even knowing what my options are and/or where I should be starting.

Uses
We do a lot of outdoors stuff in the PNW (Oregon/Washington). We currently drive a 2wd 2006 Pontiac Vibe with ~165,000 miles. It’s a great car, zero major issues, plenty of space for us while still being good for city driving and parking. We’ve banged down a lot of forest service roads and honestly it’s a trooper. With good winter tires we are comfortable venturing into the mountains in the winter, albeit sticking to the major highways and snoparks.

I’d like to go deeper into the forests and backcountry, though. The few times we’ve rented a larger SUV, I really enjoyed just exploring the roads and remote back areas of national forests and BLM land. I’d like to do more of that, but there is a limit to my confidence in the Vibe. Given that we’re outside cell range and often don’t see other people (plus my lack of mechanical knowledge), I’d rather not take our low clearance 2wd too far off the beaten path.

I’m not talking hardcore rock crawling or mudding, so “off-roading” seems like the wrong word. Just more freedom to explore remote areas along really bad roads, possibly in bad weather.

Second Car?
We’d prefer to replace our Vibe rather than add a second car, but I’m willing to be convinced otherwise:
  • We live in an apartment in the city, so a second car would require street parking.
  • I’m leery of buying something old, but only because I (1) lack mechanical know-how of any kind, and (2) lack a garage to do any work, so it’d be trips to the mechanic.
  • It also feels strange owning/insuring a second car solely for weekend adventures, but I can get over that if it makes more financial sense (note my proposed budget assumes a replacement car--it’d be significantly lower for a second play-only car).
Having said that, I’m well aware that our Vibe probably has many years left in it. I’m not sure how to weigh that fact.

Internet Says Subaru but also Not Subaru
Our first inclination was looking at crossovers due to the small size + ground clearance + AWD. From this thread and other places I learned that most crossover AWD systems are pretty poor, with the possible exception of Subarus. Internet research tells me that Subarus are either great for our goals or “lol non-4wd is trash, get a Wrangler/Tacoma/4Runner”. It’s difficult for me to separate useful opinions from biased enthusiasts when researching this stuff.

Should we be considering a Crosstrek/Forester with all-terrain tires like I see some Subaru enthusiasts do? Are AWD systems like the Rav4 and CRV not actually that bad and worth considering? Would I regret getting an older true 4wd (4Runner or whatever) despite my lack of a garage or mechanical knowledge? Should I just suck it up and make do with the Vibe?

Any advice or even a direction to start is much appreciated!

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
If that use profile is accurate, you're one of the few people I'd recommend look at a Subaru. Outback or Forester.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Sits on Pilster posted:

If that use profile is accurate, you're one of the few people I'd recommend look at a Subaru. Outback or Forester.

Hmm, did something about it sound off? I don't want to overstate anything, but I didn't think my goals were unusual. I guess it'd be better to note that currently the "20% dedicated to outdoor stuff" does involve a fair amount of highway travel before getting off the pavement. My goal is to swing that ratio toward more off-pavement travel, though.

More importantly: why do you recommend Subarus to few people? Are there common issues or downfalls to be aware of?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

incogneato posted:

Hmm, did something about it sound off? I don't want to overstate anything, but I didn't think my goals were unusual. I guess it'd be better to note that currently the "20% dedicated to outdoor stuff" does involve a fair amount of highway travel before getting off the pavement. My goal is to swing that ratio toward more off-pavement travel, though.

More importantly: why do you recommend Subarus to few people? Are there common issues or downfalls to be aware of?

There's nothing wrong with Subarus. They're good cars. The problem is that lots of people think they need the 4WD when they don't. It adds weight, complexity, and friction that most people don't need 99% of the time, but they're paying for it 100% of the time through having more stuff to break and lower gas mileage. For most people, a set of snow tires takes care of their needs. Subarus are kind of average in repair costs, so they do well for the extra hardware. You shouldn't buy it unless you really need it, though.

From what you've described, 4WD will probably be pretty useful for a lot of the things you do and it's worth getting. Subaru has a bunch of different models and body styles, all with 4WD so it would be a good idea to drop by a dealership and see what they offer.

There are other CUVs with 4WD, but Subaru leads the pack generally and we can suggest some if the Subarus don't float your boat.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's the street parking situation for you? Cause you could probably get a reliable SUV for under $10k and have it be better for exploring and also save money. I love trucks though. I bought a GX470, which is basically a Lexus 4Runner, a few months back and it's been great. Even though it's 12 years old and has 190K miles it's easily the nicest car I've ever had. The gas mileage is hilariously bad but if you don't drive much/have an efficient other car it doesn't matter that much.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

incogneato posted:

Proposed Budget: $35,000 max, but it’d be nice to stay closer to $25,000
New or Used: New sounds nice, but no real preference at the end of the day.
Body Style: 4 doors. Crossover/small SUV (probably?).
How will you be using the car?: 80% city/highway driving. 20% hiking, camping, snow trips--I would like to take those 20% trips deeper down forest service/logging roads than we currently do.

If you can stand driving stick in the city the jeep renegade comes in 4wd and is an adorable little vehicle (on the outside) that supposedly handles trails quite well in the appropriate trim/package.

But you have to get it in stick because the CVT it has otherwise is apparently genuinely terrible.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
Proposed Budget: Ideally <$5k
New or Used: lmao
Body Style: 6 ft regular cab truck (suicide rear half-doors preferred)
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, bed hauling (<500lb), trailer towing <5 times a year
What aspects are most important to you?: Affordable repair, decent (read: 20+combined) MPG, lower milage, manual transmission, in that order.

This popped up last night and I'm considering swinging by to take a look. I know the 3.0 is the middle child between the 4.0 and the 4cyl/2WD models and honestly the MPG will sting but is manageable. The 4x4 is nice but I don't feel like I really need it. I like the cab space, good milage for a '99, seems superficially clean and taken care of. Would also consider any of the other competitors' comparable models, e.g. Tacomas, Frontiers, etc. etc.

IM DAY DAY IRL fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 18, 2019

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I’ve owned several Rangers and manage a fleet with a few, and I consider them to be solid, reliable trucks with parts being generally inexpensive and service procedures fairly simple.

The 3.0 gets poo poo on from both sides, but I don’t mind the motor, it’s quite decent with a stick, since the big bitch about it is that it lacks bottom end torque and an automatic makes it worse. It’s a reliable beast and easy to work on.

That truck looks pretty good, make sure the clutch was replaced or budget for a clutch job, and replace the cam sensor if nobody has already - it’s a common 3.0 thing that the bushings go bad and they squeak like a bad serpentine belt. In rare cases it shears the oil pump drive pin and the engine seizes, so don’t ignore an engine squeal when cold. The part is cheap(30-40$) and it’s not difficult to install.

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014
To add to that. It's common for 2nd gear to go out on manual Rangers. Any difficulty getting in or out of 2nd gear or noticably louder noise when in 2nd could indicate it could be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

got fired from Snopes posted:

To add to that. It's common for 2nd gear to go out on manual Rangers. Any difficulty getting in or out of 2nd gear or noticably louder noise when in 2nd could indicate it could be a problem.

Which is solved by winding out first and going into third.

If you're not bothered by that kind of thing........