Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really enjoyed Inside Llewellyn Davis even if it didn't have much in the way of subtle visual stuff, unless you count how it's the second or third Coen Brothers film to reference the Odyssey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
In Pulp Fiction (again, sorry), it’s probably not a coincidence that Butch won’t take a dive against a guy called Wilson. He knows that doing so is a one way ticket to palookaville: Terry in ‘On The Waterfront’ takes the dive that prompts his ‘I coulda been a contender’ speech against a guy called Wilson.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of Cohen brothers films that people didn't like, I really enjoyed The Ladykillers. How Tom Hanks delivers his lines was fantastically done.

Also, it was my first non-Vern Shillinger JK Simmons experience, so that was interesting.

See everyone? This guy gets it!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Torquemada posted:

In Pulp Fiction (again, sorry), it’s probably not a coincidence that Butch won’t take a dive against a guy called Wilson. He knows that doing so is a one way ticket to palookaville: Terry in ‘On The Waterfront’ takes the dive that prompts his ‘I coulda been a contender’ speech against a guy called Wilson.

Ooh, this is a good one. I need to watch On The Waterfront again, that movie's amazing.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
*chonson

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

JK Simmons is treasure of the arts

I forgot what clip I was looking for and found this instead; the subtitles are subtly 2 seconds off, subtly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxTH6eCNtyQ

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Jan 12, 2019

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
They should get him to play J. Jonah Jameson in the next Spider-Man. gently caress MCU continuity, just do it.

Here's this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhDBWiTfNCU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Subtle one for Battle of Britain. Hermann Göering makes three appearances in the film. At the start of the film he is thinner and arrives in France by airplane to celebrate the Luftwaffe victory. The second time he shows up he's got a paunch and arrives by truck to talk to his Marshalls about the resistance they're facing over Britain. At the end of the film he's a fat bastard and has to be taken away by train while he yells at his staff for being incompetent failures as the invasion plans are canceled.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There is a reason Valve got JK Simmons for Portal 2.

Main game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmH7tAJ0SfA

DLC/user-made levels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPG3eDTy-yo

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

deoju posted:

They should get him to play J. Jonah Jameson in the next Spider-Man. gently caress MCU continuity, just do it.

Here's this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhDBWiTfNCU

The only cosmetic DLC I would buy for the PS4 Spider-Man game is one that gives me JK Simmons as a narrator for all the missions.

Edit: gently caress it, make him a narrator for every game. J Jonah Jameson the DotA 2 announcer

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Krispy Wafer posted:

I still don't like Barton Fink.

goddamn man if you don't get anything from John Goodman in that movie it's time to re-evaluate your life. "I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND" and the followup is the greatest scene of his career.

The proper response to Barton Fink as a whole is to argue with yourself for years about whether you liked it or not.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Even lovely Coen Brothers movies are worth watching and every one of their films is chock full of subtle call backs and poo poo you wont notice until a re-watch.

Coens are great and Ladykillers gets a bad rap

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Don Gato posted:

The only cosmetic DLC I would buy for the PS4 Spider-Man game is one that gives me JK Simmons as a narrator for all the missions.

Edit: gently caress it, make him a narrator for every game. J Jonah Jameson the DotA 2 announcer

Bruce Campbell though

“Now go jump in a lake :smuggo:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

goddamn man if you don't get anything from John Goodman in that movie it's time to re-evaluate your life. "I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND" and the followup is the greatest scene of his career.

The proper response to Barton Fink as a whole is to argue with yourself for years about whether you liked it or not.

John Goodman is a national treasure and the only good thing about Barton Fink.

I only wish they had squeezed him into Miller's Crossing too because Goodman as a gangster would have been awesome.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BiggerBoat posted:

Even lovely Coen Brothers movies are worth watching and every one of their films is chock full of subtle call backs and poo poo you wont notice until a re-watch.

Coens are great and Ladykillers gets a bad rap

The Ladykillers gets a bad rep because two extremely well regarded directors took one of the best comedies ever made and put out a movie that was adequate.

Subtle movie moment - in Thor: Ragnarok one of the actors in Loki's play is Matt Damon, playing Loki. This is a subtle nod to Dogma, where Damon also played Loki (although not the same Loki).

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

And the actor for Thor is Luke Hemsworth. And the actor for Odin is SAM NIELL?! what the gently caress i had no idea

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

This is a subtle nod to Dogma
I think the director is on record saying he didn't remember Dogma and it's actually because Matt Damon and Chris Hemsworth are friends. :v:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I enjoyed the what-if Thor play a whole lot.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Pilchenstein posted:

I think the director is on record saying he didn't remember Dogma and it's actually because Matt Damon and Chris Hemsworth are friends. :v:
I wish I didn't remember Dogma

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Less Fat Luke posted:

I wish I didn't remember Dogma

There's nothing wrong with Dogma except not being 16-22 anymore.

Office Space became unwatchable for me the instant I got an office job.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Beachcomber posted:

Same.

Although the company in that might be more competent than mine.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Same.

Although the company in that might be more competent than mine.

You shouldn’t jump to conclusions.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Beachcomber posted:

It's so real and sad. I managed to get to 8 bosses IRL.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Have you considered a...Miltonian response?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Write a very long poem that very few people actually read? I don't see how that would help.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Write a very long poem that very few people actually read? I don't see how that would help.

You'd make bank off of sales to people who want some big and impressive looking book on their coffee table.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

When I was at Walmart I had 6 and it was common for multiple tiers of boss to tell you to do something different at the same time.

And there was no way out of getting bitched at for not doing 4 things at once

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Beachcomber posted:

This is pretty much true about Dogma. I rewatched it as a 31 year old and it's just not nearly as clever as it originally seemed to be.

Beachcomber posted:

Hey now, don't bemoan brilliant cinema based on your own terrible life choices. Perhaps it is you who is a Lumberg hmm?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Nutsngum posted:

This is pretty much true about Dogma. I rewatched it as a 31 year old and it's just not nearly as clever as it originally seemed to be.

Hey now, don't bemoan brilliant cinema based on your own terrible life choices. Perhaps it is you who is a Lumberg hmm?

Being Lumberg would be a blessing because he loved doing his job.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

See also: Donnie Darko, Napoleon Dynamite,

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Biplane posted:

Being Lumberg would be a blessing because he loved doing his job.

Ooooooh, yeah... I'm just going to have to go and disagree with you there. Mmmm, yeah.

I'm not saying he hated it. I'm saying he was devoid of any and all emotion. I don't think he loved anything. He just existed.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Lumber is the exact kind of person that succeeds in business. He reminds me of the manager of this lovely shoe store I used to work at.

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

I find Milton about as boring as you find Milton. Mrs Milton found him boring too.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nutsngum posted:

This applies to pretty much all of Kevin Smith’s movies

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ooooooh, yeah... I'm just going to have to go and disagree with you there. Mmmm, yeah.

I'm not saying he hated it. I'm saying he was devoid of any and all emotion. I don't think he loved anything. He just existed.

Have you even seen Office Space? The level of satisfied smugness radiating from him is extremely obvious.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Biplane posted:

Have you even seen Office Space? The level of satisfied smugness radiating from him is extremely obvious.

I would say that smug is the closest he gets to feeling anything.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

He got to feel the inside of Jennifer Aniston, didn't he.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

Wrong Lumbergh.

Did you see Office Space? :colbert:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

marshmallow creep posted:

We only saw some feet in the sex dream, and I am not going to ask the foot fetishist folks to perform an ID check again.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Strom Cuzewon posted:

See also: Donnie Darko, Napoleon Dynamite,

I watched Donnie Darko a couple years ago. It still holds up as long as you are watching the theatrical cut and not the director`s cut that over explains the bizarre concepts in the movie. The theatrical cut is open to the interpretation that Donnie just has a severe mental disorder. Plus, it's kinda cool to see a young Jake Gyllenhaal and see that even back then he was a ballin' actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Donnie Darko is a good movie but if it’s somebody’s favorite movie you know they have severe issues.