Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TulliusCicero posted:

My father is like this tbh. He is a very well read man in history and politics, yet he voted for Trump over Hillary, and while he is not the biggest fan of Trump and thinks he is an idiot, at least tacitly supports his policies because he grew up in Southeast Michigan.He was here most of his life, saw the Detroit riots, and has some really just :stare: opinions on a lot of minority groups.

Fox News is brain poison and smart people are actually more likely to fall for it because it preys on unconscious biases.

You could try getting him a copy of Predictably Irrational: https://www.amazon.com/Predictably-Irrational-Revised-Expanded-Decisions/dp/0061353248 to help lay the groundwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it really can't be overstated that conservatives are all members of a death cult. they would see every non-rich person die horribly of easily preventable diseases just so there's a cheesecake factory within driving distance.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Fox News is brain poison and smart people are actually more likely to fall for it because it preys on unconscious biases.

the documentary "the brainwashing of my dad" is eye opening (and i think it's on amazon prime). woman's dad goes from a sort of apolitical kennedy democrat to frothing psycho because he had a long drive to work and limbaugh was on the radio.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/Ilhan/status/1083366086463180800
https://twitter.com/Ilhan/status/1083122263522795520
https://twitter.com/Ilhan/status/1083470634674544640

Rep. IIhan's official twitter has some great burns and messaging.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

There are a lot of accusations that people over-focus on AOC over others, but I think she's just kind of the face of the coalition. There are 64 new Dem representatives in Congress. Here are my five favorites so far:

1) Rashida Tlaib
2) Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez
3) Ayanna Pressley
4) Ihlan Omar
5) Sharice Davids

I learned about Ayanna Pressley first because I used to live in her district and follow politics closely there, AOC second because her upset victory was in the news so much, Tlaib third because of the DSA, Omar because of a bunch of news about disgusting Republican attacks against her, and Davids from this thread. I'm just one data point, though. Maybe we should do a "better know a district" thread where someone volunteers to do an effortpost on one of the new Congresspeople every day.

https://mobile.twitter.com/cspan/status/1082751584038207490

I would be down for a thread like that. There are so many new faces that give me hope

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FizFashizzle posted:

Listen cracker barrel is really good and they have a ton of healthy eating options and is very reasonably priced and it's fine as long as you keep your head down in the general store and just go straight to your table.

I can't speak for the quality of person they attract however.

The general store has Moxie and Charelston Chew so it rules actually

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think you have the causal relationships a bit mixed up. They are focusing on her because she has good ideas and good communication skills, indirectly. More specifically, the fact that she has those things means she is reaching more people, which makes the right/centrist establishment feel threatened and focus a disproportionate amount of energy into trying to smother her in the cradle.

She's a young female PoC who just entered politics. They are raised to think she's an easy target. They don't even know what her ideas are.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/cspan/status/1082751584038207490

I would be down for a thread like that. There are so many new faces that give me hope

I know very little about the reps outside of my district so this would be really helpful.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Omar is real good everyone should be following her. She posts sincerely heart warming stuff as opposed to AOC's constant vicious owns which are both great in their own ways.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

it really can't be overstated that conservatives are all members of a death cult. they would see every non-rich person die horribly of easily preventable diseases just so there's a cheesecake factory within driving distance.

the documentary "the brainwashing of my dad" is eye opening (and i think it's on amazon prime). woman's dad goes from a sort of apolitical kennedy democrat to frothing psycho because he had a long drive to work and limbaugh was on the radio.

That quote of the lady saying "He's not hurting who he should be hurting" I think says it all.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The general store has Moxie and Charelston Chew so it rules actually

And Moon Pies.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

very cool and normal!

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1083563776086020102

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FizFashizzle posted:

Listen cracker barrel is really good and they have a ton of healthy eating options and is very reasonably priced and it's fine as long as you keep your head down in the general store and just go straight to your table.

quote:

In 1991, 11 employees were fired for not displaying “normal heterosexual values,” as was prescribed by an intra-company memo. Although founder Dan Evins later called this policy a “mistake,” the attitude remains.

Since 2008, Cracker Barrel has jumped from 15 to 35 on the HRC scale, but that’s not much. It also has yet to include same-sex couples in its benefits coverage and doesn’t have a non-discrimination policy that protects “gender identity and/or expression,” according to HRC.

It should also be noted that in 2004, the US Justice Department, after a long investigation, found that the chain restaurant had segregated customers, seated and served white customers before black customers, and allowed for white servers to refuse to wait on black customers.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/16/anti-gay-companies_n_4110344.html

Of course that's all old data and they may have improved since 2004. But I know a lot of folks who will not eat there period and I don't blame them.

edit: currently at 60 on the HRC scale:
https://www.hrc.org/apps/buyersguide/profile.php?orgid=13412&catid=1236

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Super-Id posted:

Looking forward to a future where chuds only eat at Cracker Barrel. Maybe they can just change the name to Racist Cracker Barrel to make things clear for everyone.

Didn’t Cracker Barrel also push back against the chuds for something recently

Edit: :yikes:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

remember when hobby lobby, who helped hobble the aca, illegally purchased artifacts from isis.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Didn’t Cracker Barrel also push back against the chuds for something recently

Edit: :yikes:

Not ordering enough gravy.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Mordekai posted:

Please do not take goon advice on whether y'all should continue having contact with y'all's families.

Didn't you hear? Y'all is pretentious and elitist now.

I guess I could go back to my roots and use yinz.

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

Stereotype posted:

from
https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topics/trends-statistics/overdose-death-rates

He could be talking about Heroin I guess, which looking at that graph is clearly the Worst Most Bad One.

I'm still catching up from a few pages back but this graph is great. I feel like I'm not hearing enough from the media about how the opioid crisis was caused by Purdue pharmaceuticals and the over-prescribing by US doctors. People don't just start using heroin because it's here. They get addicted to it because they broke their arm or [insert anything pain related]. This is nothing even remotely new. If you want a national emergency it should be to force doctors to stop prescribing Percocet and Vicodin when ibuprofen or acetaminophen has been proven to be just as good in some cases.

For example: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2661581

"For patients presenting to the ED with acute extremity pain, there were no statistically significant or clinically important differences in pain reduction at 2 hours among single-dose treatment with ibuprofen and acetaminophen or with 3 different opioid and acetaminophen combination analgesics."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

my mom buys every overpriced plate with a pig on it cracker barrel puts out and i dont get it because for the money she spends she could get fine china and its not like she actually uses the cracker barrel stuff either

but yeah the food's good. they make all their money on the general store so the food's way cheap, sort of like how a lot of sports bars make all their money on jerseys.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Groovelord Neato posted:

Thankful everyone in our generation and younger (by our generation I mean 35-40) just listens to podcasts in the car. Although I'm sure some of those are Joe Rogan and Adam Corrolla unfortunately.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

This one's my favorite because it's so counter to reality on a few different levels. Lol vast majority of REAL AMERICANS YOU MEAN :bahgawd:

E: Cheddar Bay biscuits are great and Tucker Carlson can choke on razorwire

Medium Chungus fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 11, 2019

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

bobjr posted:

I’m kinda glad I have the opposite problem now, where I have a dad who we’re trying to stop from watching Fox News because he gets too mad about how awful it is

My father doesn't watch Fox; when my Mom was alive she told me to put a parent block on the channel with a four-digit password only I would know.

He was pissed but it cured his habit (he was never a Republican, just a Democrat who liked to watch because he enjoyed being pissed off or something). Problem is, now he has MSNBC on 24/7. While this is certainly preferable, I would like it if he just stopped watching cable news completely.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thegalagakid posted:

This one's my favorite because it's so counter to reality
the part where they imply the cheese biscuits arent manna from heaven?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

thegalagakid posted:

This one's my favorite because it's so counter to reality on a few different levels. Lol vast majority of REAL AMERICANS YOU MEAN :bahgawd:

it's the moral majority bit (i have this great series of books about science where the author said he didn't know which word to put scare quotes around) updated for the 21st century.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1083738328606883842

quote:

Rudy Giuliani says President Trump's legal team should be allowed to "correct" special counsel Robert Mueller's final report before Congress or the American people get the chance to read it.

The claim, made in a telephone interview with The Hill on Thursday evening, goes further than the president's legal advisers have ever gone before in arguing they have a right to review the conclusions of Mueller's probe, which is now in its 20th month.

"As a matter of fairness, they should show it to you - so we can correct it if they're wrong," said the former New York City mayor, who is a member of Trump's personal legal team. "They're not God, after all. They could be wrong."

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

How the gently caress has this guy not succumbed to the brainworms he obviously has? "Correcting" the Mueller report? REALLY?!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

lmao

This is the most Rudy thing ever.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

remember when hobby lobby, who helped hobble the aca, illegally purchased artifacts from isis.

Wait, was it confirmed they actually bought them from ISIS?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Great report Bob, only everywhere where you said "did" commit a crime should read "didn't" thanks.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it is funny how rudy's image was completely rehabilitated by 9/11 and he decided to flush it down the toilet.

friendbot2000 posted:

Wait, was it confirmed they actually bought them from ISIS?

even if they didn't buy them direct, that's who the artifacts came from.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

*opens up crayola box, scratches out the report to say “no crimes”*

poo poo, imma good lawyer.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rudy must be allowed to unskew the polls

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Tibalt posted:

Didn't you hear? Y'all is pretentious and elitist now.

I guess I could go back to my roots and use yinz.

I think y'all on the other side of "the blue swamp" (that's a name for The Atlantic Ocean) should cut y'us euros some slack.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

That’s some onion level poo poo, they must be scared of what’s in it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

silicone thrills posted:

Telling boomers to go gently caress off feels so good. I really encourage everyone to do it.

I second this, and don't want it to get lost in the early-morning posting.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Please tell me they just want to take a big red crayon and cross out all mention of crime

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I rarely see femicide referenced outside of the Guardian, it's kind of awesome to see a US rep talking about it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

My father doesn't watch Fox; when my Mom was alive she told me to put a parent block on the channel with a four-digit password only I would know.

He was pissed but it cured his habit (he was never a Republican, just a Democrat who liked to watch because he enjoyed being pissed off or something). Problem is, now he has MSNBC on 24/7. While this is certainly preferable, I would like it if he just stopped watching cable news completely.

Man, I hear this so often. People need to learn to just turn the tv off. Do young people do this as much as old people?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ripoff posted:

*opens up crayola box, scratches out the report to say “no crimes”*

poo poo, imma good lawyer.

Pffft. You forgot "HILLARY COLLUDED HER EMAILS"

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Man, I hear this so often. People need to learn to just turn the tv off. Do young people do this as much as old people?

Of course not. We smugly don't even have cable.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The absolute loving madman, Rudy my boy you've surprised me again and I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

So recent reporting (not just this Rudy item from The Hill) has suggested that there might in fact be some sort of Mueller "report" rather than just letting the indictments speak for themselves.

Is there any truth to this, or is it just wild speculation at this point fueled by Giuliani as a source?