Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Delete the post saying you're dropping it then post a fake chapter 97 where Maine dies and the series ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Argue posted:

Delete the post saying you're dropping it then post a fake chapter 97 where Maine dies via books again, and then reincarnates in the stone age.

Fixed that for you.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's too bad. Your translations were solid, and we weren't but so far from the point where I thought the story really started to take off.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yeah, it's unfortunate, but I was really just getting tired of it. I realized that it was inevitable that I'd drop it at some point, since I can't see myself working on one series for literally another decade, and if I wasn't having fun with it anymore I might as well just drop it now. I'm hoping someone else decides to pick it up.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

That's fair, it's a hobby, not a service.

I'll miss it though.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Is the novel licensed? Hopefully someone picks it up either a non-garbage fan translator or an actual publisher. I know the manga got licensed recently at least

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

blastron posted:

Yeah, it's unfortunate, but I was really just getting tired of it. I realized that it was inevitable that I'd drop it at some point, since I can't see myself working on one series for literally another decade, and if I wasn't having fun with it anymore I might as well just drop it now. I'm hoping someone else decides to pick it up.

You should do the one about the DnD Wizard being DnD wizard as hell in some generic jrpg setting. Thanks and Godbless.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is the novel licensed? Hopefully someone picks it up either a non-garbage fan translator or an actual publisher. I know the manga got licensed recently at least

AFAIK the manga got licensed but not the novel. I'm always kind of surprised it hasn't been picked up, it's in the top 10 all-time ranking on Narou, has a pretty active fandom in JP, it's english fan translation has been relatively popular, and the subject matter being what it is means that bookstore employees and librarians like to push it.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Bakanogami posted:

AFAIK the manga got licensed but not the novel. I'm always kind of surprised it hasn't been picked up, it's in the top 10 all-time ranking on Narou, has a pretty active fandom in JP, it's english fan translation has been relatively popular, and the subject matter being what it is means that bookstore employees and librarians like to push it.

Honzuki? It's currently ranked #21, with top ever being 18 or 19, as far as I know.

blastron posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for WNs that aren't yet translated? I've decided to drop Bookworm and am looking for some things to read raw and maybe pick up translating in a couple months or so.

These are some of my favourites that don't seem discovered by translators yet:

Lapis no Shinzou - pure fantasy story (no isekai) about a young man who's grown up in a remote place, trained by an aikido (?) master, who sets out into the world of humans again, fighting a magic-wielding nobility with his bare hands. Also big roaming monsters. Protagonist rises through the military ranks, travelling the land, often meeting cute girls. Had an LN version, but it died out when the author took a two year hiatus. Back to writing again, though.

Zwei Rondo - VRMMO story about a super high level crafter and a newbie girl he's stuck guiding through the game, while searching for a missing friend. Completed.

Ookami wa Nemuranai - technically isekai, but only because the protagonist falls through a portal into another world that's just as filled with magical dungeons and monsters as his own was. Weirdly delightful journal of how he fights through different dungeons, taking breaks to learn about spells and potions under an old master, and picking up companions to conquer even more dungeons with. Getting its first LN volume later this month. Author's third series to be published, and he's managed to finish both the others.

Watashi wa Tatakau Dungeon Master - isekai about a high school girl who finds herself witness to the destruction of our world, and ends up a Dungeon Master in the world of the perpetrators, sworn to rebuild ours by harvesting their soul points. Bit loony, reminiscent of Kumoko. Completed.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 7, 2019

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

darkgray posted:

Honzuki? It's currently ranked #21, with top ever being 18 or 19, as far as I know.

Huh, I could've sword I saw it around 7 or 8 but I guess I'm just misremembering.

blastron posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for WNs that aren't yet translated? I've decided to drop Bookworm and am looking for some things to read raw and maybe pick up translating in a couple months or so.

Most stuff I follow that used to be untranslated has graduated to the level of switching between three different groups who manage to put out one chapter every two months between them, leaving the translation stuck at chapter 12-30 of a 300-500 chapter series that's still updating. Or the raw series stopped updating, or it's something that just wasn't good enough I could recommend it to other people.

Still, here's some stuff I found on my reading list that don't have translations or whose translations seem to be semi-abandoned.

Eiyuu no Musume to Shite Umarekawatta Eiyuu wa Futatabi Eiyuu o Mezasu
A fairly fun series I quite enjoy about an assassin in a party of heroes who sacrifices his life and is reincarnated as his friend's daughter. The characters are fun, and the story is fairly diverse, with a good mix of normal adventurer stuff, sneaking around assassinating people, and drama from trying to hide her secret identity.

I'm not sure if the translation is stalled or not, since there was nothing since chapter 10 in April then a few chapters in the last month or two? Also, after a while it frequently refers to characters from the author's prior work, Hakai Me no Yuuri, which wasn't as good and is rather "problematic" in the way that WNs sometimes are, if you get my meaning.

Kouchuu Gunshikan, Boukensha ni Naru
A fairly recent story about a space marine in an interstellar war against aliens whose ship is damaged in an accident, killing the rest of the crew (aside from the ship AI) and damaging the engines beyond repair. He escapes to a nearby planet which turns out to be convenient isekai fantasyland. It's an interesting mix of sci-fi and fantasy at the start, but has kind of started to drag as time goes on, and the MC's turned into a Gary Stu of the worst degree. No translation, as far as I can find.

She Professed Herself the Pupil of the Wiseman
A fairly bog standard Overlord-style story about players of an MMO getting transported into the world as their characters. The MC had made a summoner who was basically Gandalf, but because he was playing with an avatar change item at the time of the switch, he got put in a cute girl's body instead. The premise is cliche, but I really like this for the writing. The author goes into great detail in stuff, and the result is that it gives more of a feel of going on an adventure. It feels a bit like playing Skyrim without using fast travel. It moves slower, but you can appreciate more along the way.

There's been like 5 groups that have tried to translate this, and most were awful, IIRC. Partially because it's a Thing that the main character speaks like an old man but there's no natural way to convey that in English, partly because it drags a bit in the beginning. Last translation posted 5 months ago.

Tensei Shoujo no Rirekisho
Kind of a similar premise to Bookworm. Girl MC reincarnates into a society where the nobles are wizards and rule over peasants who live in poverty, with non-magic technology almost nonexistent. The difference is that the gap is much more extreme, with the class divide getting central focus. Also the MC is intelligent and capable, as opposed to being a lovable idiot like Maine was in bookworm. Actually has a trans character with a positive portrayal, a rarity in WNs. The translation's a couple volumes in, but was last updated in April.

Kono Sekai ga Game da to, Ore dake ga Shitte Iru
Guy gets sucked into videogame, with the twist this time being that instead of an MMO, it's a lovely single player RPG that was incredibly poorly made. It's full of bugs, horribly balanced, and all of that is still reflected in the world he's sucked into. There are any number of events that could randomly give you a game over if not defused, so the MC has to use RTA-style tricks and glitches to avoid them and stay alive. It's a fun comedy, especially if you know some of the real video game bugs it's referencing. It does kind of pull the same trick over and over, though. 2 volumes are translated, but the last chapter was 5 months ago, and there were only 10 chapters in the last year.

Reincarnated into a Werewolf, the Demon Lord Servants
As you might guess from the title, MC reincarnates into a werewolf and becomes a commander in the Demon Lord's army. It cuts out all the boring beginning stuff and starts from him and his unit capturing a human city, with the story from there focusing on trying to get along with the city's residents as an occupying power and negotiating/fighting with the neighbors. It's been a while since I read this, but I was really enjoying it when I was. Last chapter translated was in July.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Bakanogami posted:

She Professed Herself the Pupil of the Wiseman
A fairly bog standard Overlord-style story about players of an MMO getting transported into the world as their characters. The MC had made a summoner who was basically Gandalf, but because he was playing with an avatar change item at the time of the switch, he got put in a cute girl's body instead. The premise is cliche, but I really like this for the writing. The author goes into great detail in stuff, and the result is that it gives more of a feel of going on an adventure. It feels a bit like playing Skyrim without using fast travel. It moves slower, but you can appreciate more along the way.

There's been like 5 groups that have tried to translate this, and most were awful, IIRC. Partially because it's a Thing that the main character speaks like an old man but there's no natural way to convey that in English, partly because it drags a bit in the beginning. Last translation posted 5 months ago.

Reincarnated into a Werewolf, the Demon Lord Servants
As you might guess from the title, MC reincarnates into a werewolf and becomes a commander in the Demon Lord's army. It cuts out all the boring beginning stuff and starts from him and his unit capturing a human city, with the story from there focusing on trying to get along with the city's residents as an occupying power and negotiating/fighting with the neighbors. It's been a while since I read this, but I was really enjoying it when I was. Last chapter translated was in July.

Kenja is even slower than Honzuki, so not sure that's a good fit. The werewolf one has already been licensed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

darkgray posted:

These are some of my favourites that don't seem discovered by translators yet:

Lapis no Shinzou - pure fantasy story (no isekai) about a young man who's grown up in a remote place, trained by an aikido (?) master, who sets out into the world of humans again, fighting a magic-wielding nobility with his bare hands. Also big roaming monsters. Protagonist rises through the military ranks, travelling the land, often meeting cute girls. Had an LN version, but it died out when the author took a two year hiatus. Back to writing again, though.

Zwei Rondo - VRMMO story about a super high level crafter and a newbie girl he's stuck guiding through the game, while searching for a missing friend. Completed.

Ookami wa Nemuranai - technically isekai, but only because the protagonist falls through a portal into another world that's just as filled with magical dungeons and monsters as his own was. Weirdly delightful journal of how he fights through different dungeons, taking breaks to learn about spells and potions under an old master, and picking up companions to conquer even more dungeons with. Getting its first LN volume later this month. Author's third series to be published, and he's managed to finish both the others.

Watashi wa Tatakau Dungeon Master - isekai about a high school girl who finds herself witness to the destruction of our world, and ends up a Dungeon Master in the world of the perpetrators, sworn to rebuild ours by harvesting their soul points. Bit loony, reminiscent of Kumoko. Completed.

okami's being translated at a slow but steady pace of about 2 chapters a week.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

okami's being translated at a slow but steady pace of about 2 chapters a week.

Oh, poo poo. Apparently they romanize it weirdly on Novel Updates, so I couldn't find it.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Eiyuu no musume has really slow translations. I'm not sure I'd call it dropped, but there is one group that has been doing the manga + LN, but their pace so far is like 1 chapter of each every 1-2 months. The WN translation is more of a mess with 3 different groups having touched it, but one of the groups is claiming they'll do 1ch/mo but they're also going back and redoing all the chapters from ch1

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
RIP Bookworm, hope whoever picks it up does so quickly and with something at least close to the previous translation's quality.

As for WNs I'd like to see translated, I really like Nanasawa Matari's The Girl Who Ate a Death God and The Girl Who Bore the Flame Ring. As far as I can tell, The Girl Who Fell from the Polar Star and Yuusha, Aruiwa Bakemono to Yobareta Shoujo only have extremely shortlived translation efforts and then nothing for a year, and I've love for someone to do them properly.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

drilldo squirt posted:

You should do the one about the DnD Wizard being DnD wizard as hell in some generic jrpg setting. Thanks and Godbless.

Whoa what is this, because I love "I cast Immunity To Not Winning" bullshit

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Some of these I'd read if they were translated, but actually learning Japanese (or god forbid, Chinese) to just read web novels sounds like way too much effort for stuff that's probably mostly mediocre at best.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
So I already kind of had a thing for isekai novels (sadly, the first one I remember trying was Kumo Desu Ga. Thanks for ruining my expectations for everything in the genre I guess :mad:), and I've kept dipping back into WN/LN recs whenever I've found them. Someone way upthread asked re WNs with queer romances, and since my recent kick has been basically wall-to-wall chinese BL/danmei, here are a few recs:

Mo Dao Zu Shi / Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation / The Founder of Diabolism, xianxia BL, 80+ out of 113 chapters done

'Eeeeeeevil' cultivator bad guy gets forcibly reincarnated into the body of some schmuck who wants revenge on their family. Think enemies to lovers with lots of political wrangling, flashbacks to when the two main characters were young, plus a mystery in the present day tying it all together, all with a dash of slow build romance. My most recent dive into WNs started with me hoovering this up after ignoring recs for it like an idiot. Note that this gets pretty gory in places, as the MC is a demonic-style cultivator that merrily resurrects the dead and stuff from time to time.

Everyone Thinks that I Like Him, modern day BL, 70 chapters + extras all translated.

Just finished this today, it's fairly short and sweet. If the first 2-3 chapters hook you, you'll enjoy the whole thing. Main character is a guy with who's eternally been in second place his whole life, and despises the other main, but inevitably gets involved with him due to a series of misunderstandings. Set in university, slowish build, they get together in the end, fluffy as all hell.

The Reader and Protagonist Definitely Have to Be in True Love, transmigration BL, 94 chapters + extras all translated.

The Summary posted:

An internet troll who wanted attention, the reader criticized his favorite web novel, saying: “The protagonist is dumb and the author is stupid.”

Author: “… Got it.”

Unfortunately for him, the author actually listened to his (troll) feedback. The formerly lighthearted tale of a cute harem master suddenly became super dark and edgy. The reader could only helplessly look on as the the protagonist was abused and betrayed, finally embarking on the road to becoming completely evil. Everything was a mess!
Naturally, the next thing that happens is the reader getting transmigrated into the novel, and being ~claimed~ by the already half-evil protagonist. First few chapters might be a little hard to parse (think the translator had a hard time getting across all that was happening), but it ends up a fun, silly read. Pokes fun at OTT dark revenge stories + harem tropes (the protagonist has eight different racial forms!! All of them sexy of course). Haven't quite finished this yet because I keep getting horribly distracted by new stuff to read, but have heard that the ending is okay. Only thing I'll warn for is there is one hardcore chapter (55.2) where the protag rapes the reader because he's out of his mind on gently caress drugs, thankfully it is treated a Bad Thing.

If you enjoy The Reader/Protagonist, there's also Every Day the Protagonist Wants to Capture Me and The Scum Villain's Self-Saving System, which are both 'MC transmigrates into a xianxia novel as a cannon fodder villain, what do' stories. Both are fun in their own ways, and have about 40-50 chapters done already. There's more of this stuff if you look on novelupdates (which I clearly did).

God Level Summoner, modern day e-sports BL, 211 out of 393 chapters translated

The Summary posted:

This story is about a god level player, Li Cangyu, who returns to the game Miracle after being away for several years. The story explores him playing the game and setting up a team in an attempt to finally win a trophy in the Miracle Professional League.

Pretty much what the summary says. Got into this because I was ransacking the translator's site for more stuff. Bounced off of it once and then inexplicably started again and kept on because it's just... fluff upon fluff upon fluff. Teamwork!! Overcoming challenges!!! Endless cat jokes/puns! Everyone is 100% gay for Reasons, and also inexplicably hot! Extremely relaxing read.

The Earth is Online, modern-day survival BL, 213 out of 245 chapters translated

Survival game thriller thing where an apocalypse wipes out a ton of people, and all the survivors are forced to play a mysterious, world-spanning game. Super slow build central relationship, from what I've heard. I kind of dropped this about 20-ish chapters in because it felt a lot heavier on the puzzles + mysteries + survival and also kind of dry in this weird way. Including it because I know I'm inevitably going to give it another go at some point, and also some people might find the mystery/puzzle focus fun.

Bonus non-BL recs:

The Rebirth of the Malicious Empress of Military Lineage, historical reincarnation + revenge josei, translation Not Good but it's still mysteriously addicting, ~200 chapters out of 230 done. Strong focus on the heroine murdering the heck out everyone who did her wrong in her past life, despite also being slow build romance.

Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint, apocalyptic survival, ~120 chapters out of 300 done. MC finished a mega-long webnovel, receives the text just before The Apocalypse hits, and tries to survive with his cheaty foreknowledge. Unexpectedly gripping, unfortunately this just got picked up by webnovel.com, but there are a decent amount of free chapters available.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Meme Emulator posted:

Whoa what is this, because I love "I cast Immunity To Not Winning" bullshit

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-wizard-raised-through-trpg-is-still-the-strongest-in-the-other-world/

You're loving lucky I spent an embarrassing amount of time looking for this earlier.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Bakanogami posted:

Kouchuu Gunshikan, Boukensha ni Naru
A fairly recent story about a space marine in an interstellar war against aliens whose ship is damaged in an accident, killing the rest of the crew (aside from the ship AI) and damaging the engines beyond repair. He escapes to a nearby planet which turns out to be convenient isekai fantasyland. It's an interesting mix of sci-fi and fantasy at the start, but has kind of started to drag as time goes on, and the MC's turned into a Gary Stu of the worst degree. No translation, as far as I can find.
Why not read the 80's Warlock series instead?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my latest godawful trash fiction choice has been Talisman Emperor. it's a very standard 'murder hobo constantly gets handed tons of stuff out of nowhere, for no particular reason' story. the premise, as you can tell from the title, is that this one uses talismans. the twist is that the author for some reason wrote a wn called talisman emperor when he utterly loathes the very idea of talismans, to the extent that you'd think they killed his parents.

the mc uses talismans (meaning a single-use item that casts a spell) once in the first 10 chapters or so. for the next 200 chapters, not only the mc but also no one else in the entire world uses talismans, ever. even when it would make a lot of sense to start burning consumables. mostly the guy just uses generic sword and punch magic. he also never finds any talismans in any of the many, many treasure troves and looted corpses he obtains. at around chapter 180 one character does use a talisman, but then they make it very clear that it's not a 'talisman' talisman, but rather some completely unrelated single-use magic item that casts a spell despite this thing also being called a talisman.

at around chapter 200, there was an author's note where he said that next arc would in fact contain talismans! i strongly suspect he was heckled in comments to get to this point. 50 chapters later, the mc goes for another run at his secret muscle wizard trials only for the muscle wizard trial to be permanently cancelled and forever unavailable. it turned out that this was because he was soooooo good at talismans despite explicitly never making, using or even touching one for the last decade that the muscle wizard trial was switched for a superior super talisman tutorial (woo, yay). but actually, he got a talisman sword instead. it was just a powerful sword, for the mc to continue being Completely Generic Strong Sword Guy.

finally, just shy of chapter 300 the author finally, grudgingly decides to go back to talismans but you can tell how much he hates it.

quote:

Actually, since he’d walked out of Pine Mist City until now, he hadn’t crafted a single talisman, nor had he utilized talismans in battle. Now that he thought of it, it was simply a waste of his battle strength.

so the mc simply starts making talismans, they are terribly strong and impressive which means he is terribly strong and impressive blah blah blah. honestly, without the hook of a talisman-less emperor i'm not sure how much longer i'll read this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
talisman doesn't even seem like a real word any more

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
If anyone in the thread likes cultivation or martial arts based fantasy stories and hasn’t yet read the Cradle novel series by Will Wight, you’re doing yourself a huge disservice. They are easily the most competently written stories in the genre that I’ve read. The fifth novel, Ghostwater, just won r/Fantasy’s award for Best Independent Novel of 2018, so other fantasy fans seem to agree. Obviously $4 or $5 per book is a bigger commitment than free webnovel trash, but they are worth the expense.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Cradle is also on Kindle Unlimited if you use that. The series is so refreshing to see all the fun aspects of a psuedo Chinese web novel without all the garbage you have to usually tune out. And in a competent story with fun characters.

I've tried to find something else in that same vein but no real luck.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Sovreign of the Three Realms is my guilty pleasure. But good lord does it have some stupid world building moments, even for a xianxia story. You can swear by the heavens, and if you lie, you get struck by lightning and die. Yet everybody lies and the culture surrounding lies is remarkably similar to our own. The MC gets accused of something, swears by the heavens and for some reason there are still people doubting it. Or opponents refusing to swear, and nobody calling them out on it being shifty as gently caress. And then it gets forgotten about, remembered a couple of hundred chapters later and then forgotten about again.

But I can't stop reading it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dug back in the thread to find this for Blastron

darkgray posted:

I think I can recommend Maou wa Sekai wo Seifuku Suru You Desu now. I've just caught up with the latest chapter, which is a terrifying cliffhanger that left me with sweaty palms, so it's maybe the worst timing to bring it up, but it's pretty dang good!

The setup is that a Japanese man in his 30s drowns saving a girl, and gets reborn in a world filled with people who fly giant eagles and other mystical creatures, as a humanoid with long ears.

This would make it the same as any other isekai story, but what's different here is that this world has no magic. And one night watching the stars, he is shocked to recognise the constellations, leading to the baffling discovery that this world is seemingly shaped just like earth, and his nation is located in what we know as Scandinavia!

He sets out to use his vast knowledge as a former-life researcher to advance technology in this 16th century Europe-equivalent, in order to save his people from the invading Crusade made up of another humanoid species and spurred on by a religion eerily similar to Christianity, bent on literally eradicating the "northern demons".

It's got the usual nobles and academies and clashing armies, with plenty of inventing goods for wealth, and charming pretty ladies. Yet it does so in careful detail, with a protagonist that somehow doesn't induce nausea in spite of being wiser than wikipedia, so it's quite enjoyable, even if annoyingly slow at times. Prose is decent too, by Narou standards.

Currently there's roughly 2000 pages of material out, and it feels like the author has made it about a third through the entire story so far, though who knows when or if it will ever end. It had a long break recently, but is back in reasonably fast release pace now, thankfully. Can't find any translation, I'm afraid.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
I tend not to read web novels often, considering the whole isekai repressed nerd fantasy stereotype some of them have. But as a lover of unorthodox takes on old ideas, what have you read that had a unique take on it?

Fruity20 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 10, 2019

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
KonoSuba.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

The best isekai comedy ever.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/kono-subarashii-sekai-ni-shukufuku-o/

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
isekai with a unique twist and/or isekai i personally consider "good":

Dungeon Defense - Some guy reincarnates as a really weak demon lord; struggles to survive. The plot sounds really cliche because it is. That said, the author does manage to make it interesting to read. Warning: kind of grimdark

To Be a Power in the Shadows - Misunderstanding comedy about a boy who wants to be a power in the shadows (as in, the cool edgelord character with a black trench coat that shows up in every movie / book / game ever) and accidentally stumbles into ultimate power while practicing his chuuni moves. It's funny

Kono Sekai ga Game da to, Ore dake ga Shitte Iru - Pretty bog standard "I am the strongest in this new world" - the twist is the new world is a buggy game the MC is super familiar with so his power is all directly related to exploiting bugs in the game. It's pretty funny

The Lazy King - salaryman reincarnates and slowly becomes a melancholic super powerful demon lord who spends all of his time sleeping (only 2 volumes, both translated)

Overlord - i mean, everyone knows what this one is right?

Youjo Senko - salaryman reincarnates into an alternate world as a girl with magical powers. set in NotGermany right before NotWorldWarOne, our protagonist joins the army for lack of other options and the story goes from there. As a story it's kind of dry and tends to use a lot of its wordcount waxing philosophical about political and economic theory so it can be kind of boring. But the premise is definitely unique and the parts of it that are well written tend to shine.

Instant Death - a guy is pulled into a fantasy world with his classmates, his only power is instantly killing anything he sees.

Risou no Himo Seikatsu - some guy gets summoned to a fantasy world to marry a queen. Specifically, the queen wants him to be a prince consort and outside party that won't threaten her throne or have designs on becoming king. It's pretty slow burn and the drama more or less all centers around him trying to help his new wife stay in power in a male-dominated feudal society.

sunken fleet fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 11, 2019

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Is there ever one about someone just completely taking the piss out of the new world/game whatever. The bug one might be close but I imagine something like someone playing as a hick crossbowman and shooting down spaceships or whatever because poorly thought out game mechanics.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Log Horizon has a whole bunch of people from all the over the world get teleported to another world. Also, despite everybody basically being immortal in Log Horizon, the story still manages to have actual stakes in it. The story is willing to switch perspectives from the MC. It also has a chinese gold farming bot that become self-aware. The author got in trouble for tax evasion which led to a long delay, but it looks he is finally releasing new stuff again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he got busted for the exact same method of tax evasion twice.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I don't know how this keeps happening!

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, it's seemed obvious that a lot of the voterbase is a fan of the dark stuff. I kinda wonder if the focus on music wasn't almost entirely due to narrative (and Ling Qi acquiring a bunch of stuff that made focusing on that mechanically ideal for her), since if things were left entirely to the audience I would have expected something sticking to the stealth/knives.

I had forgotten that her ice stuff is actually dark/water (and that ice apparently isn't its own element, or at least isn't in that context). Which actually makes me even more confident in my opposition to the dark, since I wasn't a fan of that either (even though it's obviously very effective in combat). I realize it's definitely a losing battle, though, since the audience obviously likes that. I just like the idea of being more focused on wind and whatever Phantasmagoria of Lunar Revelry's deal is (I looked it up and it doesn't list the elements). If I had to choose general themes, it would probably be something like "wind/music/social".

There is actually a funny story about the music stuff. Basically the chargen vote about Ling Qi had the voters talking about her having some music abilities to tide the dark times in the streets, which is why she began with a flute and such.

Exotic/Advanced elements are a bit of a weird thing. For example, the Gu (from Xiulan fame) have a line toward Sun that comes from Fire/Heaven, but some other people have Sun that comes from, say, Fire/Wind or something. This is why some Ice arts we have seen previously were Wind/Water, but Zeqing's seems to be Dark/Water (which is kinda weird for a sentient Blizzard).

Anyway, my point is that Ice is its own element, but it's more that Ling Qi herself isn't able to directly access it it yet, so instead she does Dark/Water.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Telsa Cola posted:

Is there ever one about someone just completely taking the piss out of the new world/game whatever. The bug one might be close but I imagine something like someone playing as a hick crossbowman and shooting down spaceships or whatever because poorly thought out game mechanics.

To be a power in the shadows is written all the way through like a huge joke, if that's what you mean

edit: as proof: the title of chapter 1

quote:

Chapter 1: Remaining Within the Limits of Being Human Means You Would Be Vaporized By a Nuke

sunken fleet fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 11, 2019

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

This is a bit off topic, but I think this is the best thread for it. Does anyone have any ideas for systems to check out if I’m looking to run a Xianxia tabletop game? I was thinking Exalted maybe?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Jester Mcgee posted:

This is a bit off topic, but I think this is the best thread for it. Does anyone have any ideas for systems to check out if I’m looking to run a Xianxia tabletop game? I was thinking Exalted maybe?

Exalted is your best bet for out of the box flavor, with a core resource being named Essence and so forth.

Edit: Some quick googling shows quite a few Wuxia RPGs but they don't seem to have cultivation as a core focus.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 11, 2019

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

sunken fleet posted:

To be a power in the shadows is written all the way through like a huge joke, if that's what you mean

edit: as proof: the title of chapter 1

Ill give it a go, I guess what Im really looking for is something that deconstructs the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are more attempts at deconstruction than there are earnest iterations.