Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

AsInHowe posted:

I second this, and don't want it to get lost in the early-morning posting.

Thirding this, flip off boomers every chance you get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

fishing with the fam posted:

Of course not. We smugly don't even have cable.

I have a few free 24-hour news apps on my streaming devices. It's maddening to have them on for more than a bit though.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Man, I hear this so often. People need to learn to just turn the tv off. Do young people do this as much as old people?

You kidding? It's why I no longer have cable. Can't watch cable news (not easily anyway) if you don't have cable.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Man, I hear this so often. People need to learn to just turn the tv off. Do young people do this as much as old people?

Not with TV, but with the internet? Oh, gently caress yes. I know plenty of people who struggle with checking twitter, facebook, Instagram and their various feeds every thirty seconds.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
No, it is. This one lady at Jack in the Box has a crush on me and gives me a ten percent discount every time I go so, using trump's logic, Jack in the Box is paying for my car!

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

*A bunch of tweets about boycotting Red Lobster*

imagine being so focused on a single tv anchor that you boycott a restaurant

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Otteration posted:

Give me 10,000 dead Hermann Görings and I shall build a wall of 10,000 dead Hermann Görings.

If you emptied the pockets of a dead Hermann Göring you would get enough drugs to kill 300 Americans!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Radish posted:

The people running the party don't want to do anything, they want to do the bare minimum required to win reelection and get paid. Actually pushing for Good Things means you have to actually do politics instead of just letting the Republicans control everything like they have since Reagan. Imagine if Crowley was still in that seat and if we would be talking about climate change or 70% marginal tax rates.

Old guard Democrats only know how to lose elections that aren't handed to them by Republicans going a bit too Republican and like it that way.

Here's the thing: the old guard does represent a lot of the politics of older Democrats.

They just aren't all that progressive.

What's great about Pressley, Tlaib, and AOC is not only that they are more liberal than others before them: they are outspoken about it.

It helps them sell their ideas to constituents who may have not had a lot of exposure to them, and hopefully energizes more voters to come out and vote more liberal representatives.

If those ideas prove popular, one by one, older Democratic representatives will adopt some of the stances that they are comfortable with.

I remain hopeful that they will awaken some sort of a sleeping giant of previously apathetic voters.

And finally get some positive loving change.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1083554843627868160

Lol he posted a montage.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

InsertPotPun posted:

No, it is. This one lady at Jack in the Box has a crush on me and gives me a ten percent discount every time I go so, using trump's logic, Jack in the Box is paying for my car!

I got a discount at Hobby Lobby so they paid for the tips at the strip club that night. :o:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1083744949399683072

It's very interesting that these mediocrities who have 1/100th of her political talent are going into the media to slam her are given this platform. I don't remember pieces like this quoting literal swamp creatures when the GOP started aggressively primarying members in 2009 and 2010.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/SenateGOP/status/1083417521192165378

OH NO! NOT DANGEROUS CRIMINALS!!!!

https://twitter.com/HouseDemocrats/status/1081978957409349633

AAHAHAHAHAAHAH Amazing. This is official account and they used "so-called President"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

one of the few things fully fleshed out on trump's campaign site was how mexico would pay for the wall lol

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Asema posted:

I wonder how many of the offended snowflakes in question actually ever loving went to a Red Lobster in the first goddamn place.

I mean, if I were to boycott Red Lobster, then based on my average yearly spending there for the past ten to fifteen years, they would lose approximately... [checks notes] ...zero dollars.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

What the hell is with the way the text is presented? I keep expecting it go:

THE LAST MEXICAN IS IN CAPTIVITY... THE GALAXY IS AT PEACE...

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Say Trump actually does declare a national emergency with the intention of building the way ASAP. Does it actually get built then? How soon?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I mean, they are basically Sith Overlords so you are not wrong.

My favorite thing is the House Democrat tweet. That is...pretty resolute lol

birds posted:

Say Trump actually does declare a national emergency with the intention of building the way ASAP. Does it actually get built then? How soon?

Lol no. They have to build infrastructure and fight injunctions also fight eminent domain opposition.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

birds posted:

I would imagine it never makes it out of the immediate court challenge, surely.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Calling it a ransom note is a stroke of brilliance I didn't think was possible from House Democrats. Love that messaging.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Asema posted:

Don't mix business and politics!

*boycotts business because of politics*

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

GlenMR posted:

I would imagine it never makes it out of the immediate court challenge, surely.

Not to mention the sheer scale of bad press from stealing from Disaster Relief to build a racist monument lol

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Calling it a ransom note is a stroke of brilliance I didn't think was possible from House Democrats. Love that messaging.

Dem messaging has been pretty on point through this entire thing. I am impressed.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

This got a chuckle out of me at work. Well done :golfclap:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

birds posted:

More importantly, can he declare a national emergency, congress goes "okay, you got your wall, pass this budget". The budget gets passed, government reopens, then Trump realizes that he can't declare a national emergency?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

friendbot2000 posted:

Not to mention the sheer scale of bad press from stealing from Disaster Relief to build a racist monument lol

Sorry Timmy, your school can’t be rebuilt as we all have to make sacrifices for the benefit of America. Now, excuse me, I have some Hispanic people to harass.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I want to`make a short film about a conservative family starving to death/possibly going cannibal because they've boycotted every restaurant and food manufacturer

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

birds posted:

No, but the chuds believe it will--and that, really, is all Trump needs. He needs the redhats to believe he won.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

I want to`make a short film about a conservative family starving to death/possibly going cannibal because they've boycotted every restaurant and food manufacturer

Make it a documentary instead

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

trump is stupid but this shutdown was an unforced error of a magnitude i didn't think possible. president deals.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Make it a documentary instead

I would, but I've boycotted being around people like that for quite some time now

Knifefan
Nov 5, 2008
JEALOUS OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEX

Toobly posted:

I'm still catching up from a few pages back but this graph is great. I feel like I'm not hearing enough from the media about how the opioid crisis was caused by Purdue pharmaceuticals and the over-prescribing by US doctors. People don't just start using heroin because it's here. They get addicted to it because they broke their arm or [insert anything pain related]. This is nothing even remotely new. If you want a national emergency it should be to force doctors to stop prescribing Percocet and Vicodin when ibuprofen or acetaminophen has been proven to be just as good in some cases.

For example: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2661581

"For patients presenting to the ED with acute extremity pain, there were no statistically significant or clinically important differences in pain reduction at 2 hours among single-dose treatment with ibuprofen and acetaminophen or with 3 different opioid and acetaminophen combination analgesics."

The entire assumption that ibuprofen is a benign alternative is wrong. Nsaids cause 20k premature deaths per year from GI bleeding alone. The cardiovascular/renal death toll is likely even higher, but is harder to calculate since renal failure and heart attacks can't be directly attributed to nsaid use in the way an overdose is attributed to opioid use. Furthermore, no one develops opioid addiction from the treatment of acute extreminity pain in the ED. The conversion to actual addicition for weeks-long treatment is miniscule(<1%). The majority of harm that results from the small percentages of opioid users who develop an opioid use disorder is a direct result the draconian war on drugs that favors extremely high potency opioids due to ease of transport. If easily and reliably dosable opioids were available to users the death rate would plummet, over-the-counter hydrocodone could end the crisis in one policy.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1083178169044213761
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1083179277795971073
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1083366241031651328
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1083366549585625088
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1083368132352372736

All of this is from the "nude" lie about AOC that was debunked by foot fetishists lol. Burn it down AOC.

Also she hired a major legalization effort leader to her staff!
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1083401293845225472

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Crow Jane posted:

Rick Moranis’s triumphant return to film in “Honey, We Ate Your Mee-Maw”

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Remember when like two weeks ago all the idiot pundits were crying boycotting Tucker Carlson was wrong and a slippery slope?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Bicyclops posted:

There are a lot of accusations that people over-focus on AOC over others, but I think she's just kind of the face of the coalition.

It's very eerily bordering on a cult of personality, and this post personifies it:

Bicyclops posted:

I rarely see femicide referenced outside of the Guardian, it's kind of awesome to see a US rep talking about it.

You see, you are not talking about an issue here. You are not bringing up an issue, you are not advancing an issue. You are talking about a person talking about an issue. You guys are obsessing over the reps themselves more than you are the actual issues they are bringing up. It is exactly the problem people had with BernieBros. It isn't a coalition, it is politics as sport, where it matters more that your team has a star than anything else.

It is not something that improves politics, because the personalities you obsess over will entirely eclipse the issues that they're supposed to be representing. You should stop yourself before it turns you into a raving lunatic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah. the point is our politicians are actually talking about this poo poo and striking back.

bernie bros was an almost entirely invented phenomenon.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
How long until Trump starts bragging about having "the longest and best shutdown in history, no administration has ever done this before"

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Mind_Taker posted:

So recent reporting (not just this Rudy item from The Hill) has suggested that there might in fact be some sort of Mueller "report" rather than just letting the indictments speak for themselves.

Is there any truth to this, or is it just wild speculation at this point fueled by Giuliani as a source?

There was a Twitter thread about this yesterday by the guy who wrote the Special Counsel law about this, I wish I could find it. Basically, there is a report to the AG telling him what Mueller found and why he did what he did. That is also provided confidentially to Congress. Also, anything Mueller wanted to do, but was prevented from doing by the DOJ, has to be reported to Congress as well.

Rudy's idea of a "Mueller Report" that will go to the White House for corrections is solely a product of his brain worms.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Nail Rat posted:

How long until Trump starts bragging about having "the longest and best shutdown in history, no administration has ever done this before"

By tomorrow when it actually will become the longest shutdown yet. And then he'll just want to give it another day and then another. Because its a record that will inflate his ego.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Doctor Butts posted:

Here's the thing: the old guard does represent a lot of the politics of older Democrats.

They just aren't all that progressive.

What's great about Pressley, Tlaib, and AOC is not only that they are more liberal than others before them: they are outspoken about it.

It helps them sell their ideas to constituents who may have not had a lot of exposure to them, and hopefully energizes more voters to come out and vote more liberal representatives.

If those ideas prove popular, one by one, older Democratic representatives will adopt some of the stances that they are comfortable with.

I remain hopeful that they will awaken some sort of a sleeping giant of previously apathetic voters.

And finally get some positive loving change.

These new representatives are exactly what we need, and we need more of them. Them being relatively young is a big plus and makes them more relatable, but what’s really good is that they are outspoken like you said.

I’m so tired of politics as it is and how people just want to keep getting elected. It’s loving bullshit how the house/senate will only hold votes on things they know will pass. Like I think I read someone saying that wouldn’t want to vote for impeachment unless they knew it was a sure thing. Why the gently caress do they gotta do that? Vote on it and gently caress, if it doesn’t pass then at least we know where everyone stands and we can vote them the gently caress out next election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

You cannot ever be excited about representatives that share your values being elected and being vocal about changing things. Ever. To have hope is like a cult you see and we must above all kill hope in its crib.