Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I saw at some point Crosley were selling those suitcase record players for like 100$? That's a pretty good mark-up for something they buy for under 20$.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was a gift from the parents. With time i will put together something better

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DoctorGonzo posted:

A hellhole of a city called Calama

Yeah I can’t help much then.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm very new to having a turntable and such; I had expressed an interest in getting into vinyl this past year and was given a Denon DP-300F turntable for Christmas along with a (used) Denon DRA-355 Receiver.

I am having an issue with what seems to be the receiver, so I thought I'd ask before taking it in to get it looked at/replaced.

Yesterday, I kept noticing my right speaker would stop working. I kind of just left it alone and stopped listening to the LP I was playing as I had other things I needed to do anyway. Later I tried again, except this time the right speaker started making a really loud buzzing noise as soon as I started the turntable and played no music, just loud pops. Later last night, I heard what I could only describe as a "sizzling" noise coming from both speakers-- when nothing was playing, but the receiver was on. I figured that the speaker wire was bad (it was rather frayed at least), so I had trimmed and stripped it to expose some fresh wire thinking that would help. It did not.

I began to experiment a little to rule out what the issue could be, as the left speaker was working just fine. I put the right channel's wires on the left speaker. It too began to make the loud noise, popping and such. I put the left channel's wires on the right speaker, and it played perfectly fine. I ruled out the speakers as the problem. I then took the wire from the right channel and tried it in the left, with both speakers, and it worked fine. Which ruled out the wire being the problem.

This leaves me with the understanding that the right channel of the receiver is not working, because even with the left speaker's wires in the right channel (the wire I knew was "good"), it had the same problem.

I called my stepdad about the problem and tried to replicate it, but it worked fine after that. He said "it's probably because you left the receiver on too long" but didn't sound very sure about it. It doesn't seem like just having the receiver on, idle, would be that big of an issue, right? Either way I've had everything disconnected since then and it's really disappointing since I'd really love to listen to some records.

Does anyone here have any insight on this, or has had a similar issue? And if so, what should I do? I'd hate to think I messed the thing up just by having it on "too long".

Framboise fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 31, 2018

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Framboise posted:

I'm very new to having a turntable and such; I had expressed an interest in getting into vinyl this past year and was given a Denon DP-300F turntable for Christmas along with a (used) Denon DRA-355 Receiver.

I am having an issue with what seems to be the receiver, so I thought I'd ask before taking it in to get it looked at/replaced.

Yesterday, I kept noticing my right speaker would stop working. I kind of just left it alone and stopped listening to the LP I was playing as I had other things I needed to do anyway. Later I tried again, except this time the right speaker started making a really loud buzzing noise as soon as I started the turntable and played no music, just loud pops. Later last night, I heard what I could only describe as a "sizzling" noise coming from both speakers-- when nothing was playing, but the receiver was on. I figured that the speaker wire was bad (it was rather frayed at least), so I had trimmed and stripped it to expose some fresh wire thinking that would help. It did not.

I began to experiment a little to rule out what the issue could be, as the left speaker was working just fine. I put the right channel's wires on the left speaker. It too began to make the loud noise, popping and such. I put the left channel's wires on the right speaker, and it played perfectly fine. I ruled out the speakers as the problem. I then took the wire from the right channel and tried it in the left, with both speakers, and it worked fine. Which ruled out the wire being the problem.

This leaves me with the understanding that the right channel of the receiver is not working, because even with the left speaker's wires in the right channel (the wire I knew was "good"), it had the same problem.

I called my stepdad about the problem and tried to replicate it, but it worked fine after that. He said "it's probably because you left the receiver on too long" but didn't sound very sure about it. It doesn't seem like just having the receiver on, idle, would be that big of an issue, right? Either way I've had everything disconnected since then and it's really disappointing since I'd really love to listen to some records.

Does anyone here have any insight on this, or has had a similar issue? And if so, what should I do? I'd hate to think I messed the thing up just by having it on "too long".

You can determine if it's the turntable or the receiver by swapping the turntable L-R RCA plugs.

Actually, it looks like your turntable has its own built-in pre-amp? If so, make sure it's switched off if you're using the phono input. And if that's how you've been using it, try switching it on and then using the "CD/VIDEO" input on the receiver. Perhaps the pre-amp and related circuitry in the receiver is bad.

edit: I just noticed you mentioned a sizzling when the turntable was off. Does that happen on all inputs?

No, leaving the receiver on "too long" isn't something that should normally cause problems. Especially on an AV receiver like that. If that's what caused an issue, then the components were failing already.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 31, 2018

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I already had the phono input problem the first day I got the turntable. It wasn't until I noticed a separate sheet of paper saying "make sure you don't have it plugged into the phono output if you have the equalizer switch on". I moved it to CD/Video and it worked fine. That is where it is at right now. (To be honest, I have no idea what a pre-amp is.)

The right speaker started messing up a little while after that.

Re: sizzling sound: I didn't try on all inputs; I had disconnected the speaker wires after that because it almost sounded like a campfire coming from the speakers and it worried me; I didn't want to cause any harm to the speakers since they're new, too. But to be honest, if it's happening in one input, it troubles me because I'd like to not have hardware that's failing (and I don't like the notion of my mom and stepdad getting ripped off by buying a used machine that had issues the seller didn't make them aware of).

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
It seems I've unwittingly started collecting Sony ES gear among all the other crap I collect.

Have had the X303ES a while, picked up the TA-F670ES today. It needed a bunch of cleaning and the volume pot is a little iffy, but it sounds great and is probably the best 2-channel amp I've ever had. A perfectly good XA3ES and a faulty champagne X505ES also have found their way to my collection.

I've gotta start getting rid of stuff.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

evobatman posted:

It seems I've unwittingly started collecting Sony ES gear among all the other crap I collect.

Have had the X303ES a while, picked up the TA-F670ES today. It needed a bunch of cleaning and the volume pot is a little iffy, but it sounds great and is probably the best 2-channel amp I've ever had. A perfectly good XA3ES and a faulty champagne X505ES also have found their way to my collection.

I've gotta start getting rid of stuff.

Dang. I covet that F670.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The funny thing is that the ad for it said "JAMO D265 SPEAKERS FOR SALE with amp", and it had a tiny blurry pic of the amp without any mention of what model it was in the text.

The speakers are still in the back of my car, I'm taking them to the dump this weekend.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
talk to me about iffy volume pots. I just picked up a Pioneer VSX-D608 and the volume knob is garbage. Works fine via the remote. If there's an easy fix for this I'd love to know what it is. I love a good knob :v:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
If it's just crackly, pull the lid off and spray deoxit into the pot itself and spin the knob back and forth. 9/10 times works every time.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jeza posted:

If it's just crackly, pull the lid off and spray deoxit into the pot itself and spin the knob back and forth. 9/10 times works every time.

it's more like it has unpredictable behaviour - turning it down turns it up, up is down. There's no linearity to it either.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

evobatman posted:

The funny thing is that the ad for it said "JAMO D265 SPEAKERS FOR SALE with amp", and it had a tiny blurry pic of the amp without any mention of what model it was in the text.

I have snagged some good gear this way as well.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

slothrop posted:

it's more like it has unpredictable behaviour - turning it down turns it up, up is down. There's no linearity to it either.

That sound the like behavior of an incremental encoder that is missing pulses. Depends how it's made, but deoxit can help if it is based on conductive wipers (vs optical).

That model looks new enough to use an encoder -- does the knob spin continuously or does it have stops at min/max? Spinning continuously would mean it isn't a traditional potentiometer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incremental_encoder

e: does the receiver display the volume on the display? Do those numbers jump around when you turn the knob?

taqueso fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 4, 2019

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yeah, knob spins freely, there are no min/max stops. The numbers go a little haywire when you turn the knob. I’ll try track down some deoxit and see if that helps.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
Finally built a Flexy rack of my own. It's only taken me about fifteen years to get around to it.

Finger jointed 1200x405x19mm Acacia panels, stained golden teak, with M16 zinc plated rods and hardware - except for the dome nuts, which are chrome plated.

I just love the way it looks, even though I can't get a good pic of it in place because there is gear *everywhere* in my study right now.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Looks good!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

metaxus posted:

Finally built a Flexy rack of my own. It's only taken me about fifteen years to get around to it.

Finger jointed 1200x405x19mm Acacia panels, stained golden teak, with M16 zinc plated rods and hardware - except for the dome nuts, which are chrome plated.

I just love the way it looks, even though I can't get a good pic of it in place because there is gear *everywhere* in my study right now.

Hot drat that looks nice.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

wa27 posted:

You can determine if it's the turntable or the receiver by swapping the turntable L-R RCA plugs.

Actually, it looks like your turntable has its own built-in pre-amp? If so, make sure it's switched off if you're using the phono input. And if that's how you've been using it, try switching it on and then using the "CD/VIDEO" input on the receiver. Perhaps the pre-amp and related circuitry in the receiver is bad.

edit: I just noticed you mentioned a sizzling when the turntable was off. Does that happen on all inputs?

No, leaving the receiver on "too long" isn't something that should normally cause problems. Especially on an AV receiver like that. If that's what caused an issue, then the components were failing already.

An update: It was definitely the turntable, it needed to be replaced.

Meanwhile, I just got the new one yesterday, but now this one seems to have a really weak bass in comparison to the defective one. Like, really weak. And the sound is more hollow overall. Like, with the old one, I had to keep the bass in the negatives to keep my floor from shaking (I live in an apartment on the second floor and I didn't want to bother my neighbors), but now I have to crank it to max to feel it at all.

Is that something I can fix? Would the tone arm have anything to do with it? I read that the weight is supposed to be set to 2 with antiskate 2, but I'm not going to lie, I have no idea what any of that really means, I just followed the directions and tutorials I could find on youtube.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Those sound like the symptoms of when the polarity of one of the channels has been inverted somewhere along the line, tbqh.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Is there something I can do about that? Did I get another defective system?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Framboise posted:

Is there something I can do about that? Did I get another defective system?

If it's phase cancellation, I think you could tell by just disconnecting either the red or white turntable lead and seeing if a single channel on its own sounds better.

If the polarity of one turntable channel is reversed, I'd assume it's in the headshell wires, which should be an easy fix.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

wa27 posted:

If it's phase cancellation, I think you could tell by just disconnecting either the red or white turntable lead and seeing if a single channel on its own sounds better.

If the polarity of one turntable channel is reversed, I'd assume it's in the headshell wires, which should be an easy fix.

That's exactly what's happening! I pulled out each one and for both channels, the bass was great and the sound was so much richer.

So it's something in my headshell, then?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Framboise posted:

That's exactly what's happening! I pulled out each one and for both channels, the bass was great and the sound was so much richer.

So it's something in my headshell, then?

Ya, sounds like two of the headshell wires are flipped. It’s an easy fix (just swap either the two right or left channel wires) but be careful. They’re extremely delicate.

If you’re curious to the why of this happening, most LPs have summed bass channels, so everything below a certain frequency is in mono. It’s not strictly required, but it supposedly makes playback more consistent on more decks.

Since one of the channels appears to be wired out of phase, the mono signal from each speaker is the exact opposite of the other, causing the sound to cancel out.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I'm inheriting a Pioneer CX-770S/M980 head/amp combo along with the CT-W770 tape deck (sweet), and I already have an ATLP60 that I've been plugging into various HTIAB setups for about a year due to not finding a true head to use with it. I've been happy with the quality of the sound despite it sounding a little thin or lacking in overall power, compared to what I could get out of say streaming a Youtube video through a PS4 on the same speaker setup.

Questions:

1. Should I go through the phono in on this head with this turntable, or is that going to cause problems?

2. I'm going to need new speakers to go with the head. The other speakers I own I wouldn't want to repurpose anyway, with exception to a pair of really nice Kenwood rear channels I copped from Value Village and have been using in x.1 setups for a couple of months now. Also this head doesn't have a subwoofer channel, so it looks like it's set up for the 2-way standing speakers instead? Am I figuring that correctly?

3. If I'm not being dumb about #2, what should I look for when I go thrifting for speakers to pair with this? Not brands as much as like, technicals or rules-of-thumb.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

TheMadMilkman posted:

Ya, sounds like two of the headshell wires are flipped. It’s an easy fix (just swap either the two right or left channel wires) but be careful. They’re extremely delicate.

If you’re curious to the why of this happening, most LPs have summed bass channels, so everything below a certain frequency is in mono. It’s not strictly required, but it supposedly makes playback more consistent on more decks.

Since one of the channels appears to be wired out of phase, the mono signal from each speaker is the exact opposite of the other, causing the sound to cancel out.

Huh, interesting. I didn't know it worked like that. (Then again I'm new to all of this so I didn't really know anything at all.)

So looking at the four wires upside down:
green blue
red white

and connecting to the other end:
blue green
white red

So it looks like they were flipped on both sides? This may have to wait, I don't really have a way to pull these out carefully. Should they just directly go into their identical outlet?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Framboise posted:

Huh, interesting. I didn't know it worked like that. (Then again I'm new to all of this so I didn't really know anything at all.)

So looking at the four wires upside down:
green blue
red white

and connecting to the other end:
blue green
white red

So it looks like they were flipped on both sides? This may have to wait, I don't really have a way to pull these out carefully. Should they just directly go into their identical outlet?

Huh. If both are flipped it shouldn’t cause an issue, since phase would be flipped for both channels.

Is there any chance that one of your speaker cables is connected wrong?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

TheMadMilkman posted:

Huh. If both are flipped it shouldn’t cause an issue, since phase would be flipped for both channels.

Is there any chance that one of your speaker cables is connected wrong?

Sure fuckin' was! Right channel's pos and neg were flipped. The sound is absolutely what it should be now.

I can't believe I missed something so simple.

Thanks a lot for the help, y'all.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

vanov posted:

1. Should I go through the phono in on this head with this turntable, or is that going to cause problems?

The LP60 has a switchable pre-amp built in. So you can switch it off and use the phono input, or on to use a line-level input. I'd probably go with the phono input.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Framboise posted:

Sure fuckin' was! Right channel's pos and neg were flipped. The sound is absolutely what it should be now.

I can't believe I missed something so simple.

Thanks a lot for the help, y'all.

gently caress you. :)

And gently caress everybody who suggested all that other poo poo like headshell wires before asking about the speakers.
:rolleyes:

I say this with love, but come on you guys.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

And gently caress everybody who suggested all that other poo poo like headshell wires before asking about the speakers.

To be fair, I hadn’t read the other posts where he had moved everything to a new stand, etc. if you just replace the turntable and now everything sounds wrong, it’s probably the turntable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm pretty sure I do have a phasing problem given I have looked through my external connections. I hate phasing problems so much, unless it can be resolved by pressing a button marked "Phase" (which luckily I did have on some old multitrack hardware).

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Electric Bugaloo posted:

When I said I'm new to all of this stuff, I wasn't even remotely withing the ballpark of kidding. The first problem I had was undeniably the turntable, because I tried literally everything (including messing with the speaker wires). However when I got the table replaced I also got a higher quality cable and it just seems I hosed up while setting them up, which caused the weak bass and hollow sound.

I kind of expected myself to gently caress up at some point in learning how to do this stuff but for it to be something so simple... Well, whatever, it works now.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Hey, he said his old turntable didn't have the issue!:mad:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Framboise posted:

When I said I'm new to all of this stuff, I wasn't even remotely withing the ballpark of kidding. The first problem I had was undeniably the turntable, because I tried literally everything (including messing with the speaker wires). However when I got the table replaced I also got a higher quality cable and it just seems I hosed up while setting them up, which caused the weak bass and hollow sound.

I kind of expected myself to gently caress up at some point in learning how to do this stuff but for it to be something so simple... Well, whatever, it works now.

wa27 posted:

Hey, he said his old turntable didn't have the issue!:mad:

Lol sorry!- I was 100% saying it in jest because it’s a classic gear/tech thread moment.

Everybody starts diagnosing a mystery ailment on a newbie’s setup and basics like “did you turn on the power strip?” get overlooked until after the poor sod’s like opened up their amp or rewired their headshell, etc.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Nah, I took it in jest, haha. It was just a big "oh wow I'm dumb" moment. I'm just happy that it's nothing that needs to be replaced and now everything is working smoothly.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm pretty sure I do have a phasing problem given I have looked through my external connections. I hate phasing problems so much, unless it can be resolved by pressing a button marked "Phase" (which luckily I did have on some old multitrack hardware).

My McIntosh amp has a phase switch and it’s nice.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

wa27 posted:

The LP60 has a switchable pre-amp built in. So you can switch it off and use the phono input, or on to use a line-level input. I'd probably go with the phono input.

Oh sweet, so it does. Good to know it's been on Line this whole time, gives me an idea of what it "should" sound like in its current set-up. Thanks!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Is anyone here familiar with ESS speakers? I found a couple on the side of the road and they seem nicer than the ones that came with the TEAC all in one in my living room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BigFactory posted:

My McIntosh amp has a phase switch and it’s nice.

See, that's why you pay top dollar for their gear.