Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

R. Mute posted:

the thing people responded to with killmonger was that he was the only one to come close to a realistic political standpoint in the movie. he's the one that recognises that politics are about power and that sending your spacetrain-tech to america isn't going to stop black people from being oppressed. he's the one that realises the western world isn't just going to sit back and let a tiny african nation take center stage.

the problem is that when hollywood screenwriters portray black people, their politics are limited to two options: mlk and malcolm x, where mlk is obviously the Right Answer. problem is that they see malcolm x through the lens of fox news parody. and because they don't understand malcolm x and because they feel the need to emphasise that he's definitely the bad choice (pls dont like him even tho he makes sense), they tack on a bunch of stuff that doesn't really make all that much sense (i want to help the oppresys.sed people of the world and i trained to do it by killing the oppressed people for the us army) or is just over the top evil (shooting his girlfriend, choking the flower lady, etc).

it feels wrong and people look past it because the only way for that to work is if he's a massive hypocrite - which the rest of the film doesn't really support and which kinda undercuts the whole struggle of ideals thing which is at the core of the movie.

This is a very good take.:golfclap:

Yeah, it doesn't help that Western audiences are, let's face it, not used to superhero films with an ideological standpoint nowadays. Much less an anti-imperialist one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1083068386710454272
existential dread rite here!!!!

R. Mute posted:

the thing people responded to with killmonger was that he was the only one to come close to a realistic political standpoint in the movie. he's the one that recognises that politics are about power and that sending your spacetrain-tech to america isn't going to stop black people from being oppressed. he's the one that realises the western world isn't just going to sit back and let a tiny african nation take center stage.

the problem is that when hollywood screenwriters portray black people, their politics are limited to two options: mlk and malcolm x, where mlk is obviously the Right Answer. problem is that they see malcolm x through the lens of fox news parody. and because they don't understand malcolm x and because they feel the need to emphasise that he's definitely the bad choice (pls dont like him even tho he makes sense), they tack on a bunch of stuff that doesn't really make all that much sense (i want to help the oppressed people of the world and i trained to do it by killing the oppressed people for the us army) or is just over the top evil (shooting his girlfriend, choking the flower lady, etc).

it feels wrong and people look past it because the only way for that to work is if he's a massive hypocrite - which the rest of the film doesn't really support and which kinda undercuts the whole struggle of ideals thing which is at the core of the movie.

this is the same poo poo that every second comic book movie does. the villain has spot-on analysis of the problem, but also wants to kill everybody for ??? reason

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

exmarx posted:

this is the same poo poo that every second comic book movie does. the villain has spot-on analysis of the problem, but also wants to kill everybody for ??? reason

I mean, it's not like that's exactly unheard of in history. It's just a pretty worn-out conceit in superhero films and comic books.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

R. Mute posted:

the problem is that when hollywood screenwriters portray black people, their politics are limited to two options: mlk and malcolm x, where mlk is obviously the Right Answer. problem is that they see malcolm x through the lens of fox news parody. and because they don't understand malcolm x and because they feel the need to emphasise that he's definitely the bad choice (pls dont like him even tho he makes sense), they tack on a bunch of stuff that doesn't really make all that much sense (i want to help the oppressed people of the world and i trained to do it by killing the oppressed people for the us army) or is just over the top evil (shooting his girlfriend, choking the flower lady, etc).

quote:

Malcolm X went to Selma, where he had a cordial meeting with Coretta Scott King and other civil rights leaders. King was in jail at the time but recalled later:

“He spoke at length to my wife, Coretta, about his personal struggles and expressed an interest in working more closely with the nonviolent movement. He thought he could help me more by attacking me than praising me. He thought it would make it easier for me in the long run. He said, ‘If the white people realize what the alternative is, perhaps they will be more willing to hear Dr. King.’ ”

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
if only malcolm x had said that we too live in a society

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The big flaw in Killmonger and the dude in Aquaman and all is the writers realized they had a baddie that was, at worst, doing the right thing the wrong way, and that nuance can't exist in a super hero movie. A comic series where both baddie and goodie get time to have arcs and play off old stories and all? For sure, but not in a two hour movie for all audiences. So they wind up taking a misguided but not wrong character and just having him go from "our people left everyone else to suffer and be destroyed, we need to liberate them" to "I lust for the blood of white babies" with no reason.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I thought the movie made it abundantly clear that Killmonger didn't so much care about helping oppressed people as he did getting revenge on oppressors, and that furthermore the main reason he was a villain wasn't that his goal was wrong but that he used the worst oppressors of all's means to achieve his ends, failing to recognize that such means can't really be put to good use. In trying to overturn an unjust system he was only going to perpetuate and escalate it. They had an entire scene where he talks to the ghost of his father underlining his central character flaw.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

exmarx posted:

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1083068386710454272
existential dread rite here!!!!

i dont get why all those "futurist" dweebs who love elon are communists. Aliens will only accept us if we are willing to join the interstellar international

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Linkin Park should be considered country ever since their ARE TROOPS song.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

where is deftones

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also i strongly dispute the validity of the mallrat <-> white trash axis

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Puddle of Mudd...now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

A long time...

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

luxury handset posted:

where is deftones

staind and godsmack are conspicuously absent too

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I only know the stuff that hit it big on the radio etc. but, while it's true many of nu metal lyrics are misogynistic and valorize aggression, they're also awful in myriad other ways.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
and the riffs don't even slap

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Every once in awhile when one of my kids is whining in a particular way I hear it over a "I tried so haaard, and got so faaar, but in the end it doesn't really mattaa!" sound bed.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
nu metal is like if you took a decent melvins album and used it to make a hundred other albums via homeopathy

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that's more tool specifically. all the good melvins albums are too weird for nu metal

it's homeopathic-grade helmet riffs with a soupçon of 80s funk rock and new romantic cheese

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
but most importantly third hand interpretations of side b of my war

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine liking hip hop and criticizing nu metal for misogynistic lyrics. And saying it valorizes aggression is some Marilyn Manson did Columbine FOX news poo poo. Working class kids were already angry because the world is ridiculously lovely and all signs pointed towards it getting even shittier. The generation coming up at the time were hopeless, cynical, and alone. Nu metal touched on that frustration in such a way that it brought all those kids together and showed them that they weren't alone, and allowed them all to vent together. It was therapy. Also the clown guy was hitting a keg with a baseball bat and the german guy had all set himself on fire.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
First time back in America in three years, we have Taco Bell delivery and 5.11 outlet stores now? Wild.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You can get p much any fast food delivered with the right app. No idea why you would though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

paragon1 posted:

You can get p much any fast food delivered with the right app. No idea why you would though.

now im thinking about volkerball ordering gas station hotdog delivery as he listens to slipknot and shops for american flags on wallmart online

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

paragon1 posted:

The experience.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
If you haven't at least once ordered McDonalds and contemplated society while it got to you then I don't even know friends.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Legal weed is nice though

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

Legal weed is nice though

e: i still like korn and slipknot, fight me

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Volkerball posted:

Imagine liking hip hop and criticizing nu metal for misogynistic lyrics. And saying it valorizes aggression is some Marilyn Manson did Columbine FOX news poo poo. Working class kids were already angry because the world is ridiculously lovely and all signs pointed towards it getting even shittier. The generation coming up at the time were hopeless, cynical, and alone. Nu metal touched on that frustration in such a way that it brought all those kids together and showed them that they weren't alone, and allowed them all to vent together. It was therapy. Also the clown guy was hitting a keg with a baseball bat and the german guy had all set himself on fire.
put that over some "slappin" riffs and I think you've got a 1999 hit.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

drilldo squirt posted:

If you haven't at least once ordered McDonalds and contemplated society while it got to you then I don't even know friends.

half of the mcdonalds and indeed broader fast food experience is having to publicly confront your shame

they should eliminate drive through windows for that very reason

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Shifty Nipples posted:

e: i still like korn and slipknot, fight me

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
shaggy fought in the gulf war

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mr Bomb bastic

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

exmarx posted:

normie opinion: superorganism is pleasant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM52w9xrdn4

i regret to inform you/me that the guy from superorganism is a rapist https://pitchfork.com/news/superorganisms-mark-turner-sought-restraining-orders-against-two-women-who-spoke-out-against-him

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

The Muppets On PCP posted:

half of the mcdonalds and indeed broader fast food experience is having to publicly confront your shame

they should eliminate drive through windows for that very reason

Thanks to capitalism I can contract my shame out to the desperate poor and have them bring it to my door.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

That's not gonna replace "milkshake duck," sorry bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

wild that the guy from a band that recruited a 17 year old japanese girl to front their band turned out to be a weirdo