Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be #1 Pick?
DE Nick Bosa
DT Quinnen Williams
White Quarterback
Kicker...yeah...definitely the Kicker
View Results

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Cutting Cousins would ruin the tank though.

#FreeSergeantSloter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I was talking earlier in this thread about the chance that the Cardinals will use their number one pick on another quarterback. Surprised that it's actually becoming a narrative because NFL teams usually love to throw good money after bad. It still probably won't happen.

But number one picks aren't easy to come by and it could be a long time before they might be in a position to do this again. They have to at least make an honest evaluation of Rosen and decide what they should do. Murray would be way better than Rosen if the O line is still weak, but there's risk there too. He's 5'9", which is almost uncharted territory in the NFL. I also like the idea of Rosen on the Giants a lot. Certainly I believe he is capable of replacing Eli Manning and building on what Manning was able to do.

It all comes down to whether you think Rosen can be the guy that takes them all the way within the next several years of his rookie contract. I don't believe he can. I know that he came into the hardest situation by far of any rookie QB this year. But I still just don't see it. I think his ceiling is "decent".

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Cutting Cousins would ruin the tank though.

I know this is just a joke but man are Vikings fans being dumb about Cousins. Yes, he was paid 84 million dollars. That's the kind of money you have to spend to get a quality starter at QB in free agency. Now they have stability at the position and can focus the draft on shoring up some weak areas, notably the O line and secondary.

The dude completed 70% of his passes for 4,300 yards and 30 TDs for god's sake. Cousins is not the problem here

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

kirk cousins is what people thought tony romo was

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Alaois posted:

kirk cousins is what people thought tony romo was

eh, even Romo haters didn't think he was that bad, they just thought he choked with the game on the line

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I hate Romo and think Cousins is a good QB and both of them have about the same passing capabilities except Romo was very football smart to make up for his constant gently caress ups

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
and a lot more mobile

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Here's things Romo was great at:

Moving in the pocket
Moving outside the pocket
Throwing on the run
Throwing in the pocket to short routes or open deep routes
Identifying the right throw after a bunch of reads
Knowing defenses inside and out and audibling presnap
Creating something out of nothing

Here's things Romo wasn't great at but people for unknown reasons act like he was:
Not checking down
Throwing intermediate passes
Throwing accurate passes on the money instead of just near the receiver
Having a strong arm

He was actually a decent deep ball passer when he was young but the injuries caught up and he struggled mightily in the last few years to land balls the way elite QBs would past 15 yards. He was also the checkdown king with Witten leading TE targets almost every year Romo was throwing to him. His lowest catch percentage from 06-2015 was 65.8%, his highest was 75.8%. Considering he was getting targeted over 110 times each season except the last two, that inflated Romo's completion numbers to elite status.

I think we're spoiled with the elite play of Brees, Brady, Rodgers, and Peyton but for some reason people always try to shoe horn Romo into that list too. I'm not sure if people think they're smarter by acting like he was an underrated QB or they literally just never watched him play. Romo was a very good QB but he was more akin to the Eli Mannings and Ben Roethlisbergers of the world than the next step up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Romo was a LOT better than Eli Manning. Come on.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Romo wasn't Brees, Brady or Peyton tier but he was certainly the next tier down. I'd slot him with Big Ben, Rivers, Ryan and Warner.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
I don't even think Ryan and Ben are on that tier. Warner-Rivers-Romo sounds about right

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Where the hell are these people earnestly arguing Romo was as good as Brady, Brees, and Rodgers? I’m pro Romo but come on. The only reason to claim that is if you’re trolling one of the millions of Dallas fans who irrationally hated him and thought he was Peterman-tier.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Docjowles posted:

Where the hell are these people earnestly arguing Romo was as good as Brady, Brees, and Rodgers? I’m pro Romo but come on. The only reason to claim that is if you’re trolling one of the millions of Dallas fans who irrationally hated him and thought he was Peterman-tier.

Was wondering the same thing lol

I haven't seen many, if any, put Romo in that top tier with Brady/Rodgers/Manning and Brees. That's just absurd.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

daltos only talks about stuff from 2011 and romo was hyped up too much back then

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

weird Asian candy posted:

Was wondering the same thing lol

I haven't seen many, if any, put Romo in that top tier with Brady/Rodgers/Manning and Brees. That's just absurd.

It turns out it's much easier to win arguments is you just make up the other side of the argument. I could see skip bayless saying something like that but that's about it.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

It turns out it's much easier to win arguments is you just make up the other side of the argument. I could see skip bayless saying something like that but that's about it.

I always hate when people bring up Chris Chandler in the GOAT argument. Top 3...maaaybe...but GOAT status he didn’t nearly rise to. Really chaps my rear end.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Big Ben in his prime was top 5 wtf you guys talking

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Amy Pole Her posted:

Big Ben in his prime was top 5 wtf you guys talking

Top 5 rapists sure

I bet you still jam remix to ignition too

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Cavauro posted:

daltos only talks about stuff from 2011 and romo was hyped up too much back then

exactly

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

mcmagic posted:

Romo was a LOT better than Eli Manning. Come on.

Not even close. Eli could make any throw all over the field and his playoff stats were about the same as Romo. He's a big dingus though so that's why I put them on the same tier as QBs that you know are good but could be better.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Doltos posted:

Not even close. Eli could make any throw all over the field and his playoff stats were about the same as Romo. He's a big dingus though so that's why I put them on the same tier as QBs that you know are good but could be better.

LOL @ playoff stats. Romo's overall numbers are VASTLY better.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Romo and Manning are kinda inverses in that Romo would be good for three quarters and then his team doing nothing for him would get him gassed by the fourth while Eli hosed around until he turned on in the fourth.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

mcmagic posted:

LOL @ playoff stats. Romo's overall numbers are VASTLY better.

You'll find that regular season doesn't matter that much when the Super Bowl tends to be the goal of every team

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Doltos posted:

You'll find that regular season doesn't matter that much when the Super Bowl tends to be the goal of every team

It's a team sport and Eli had 2 fluky runs and was a mediocre player the rest of his career. He's basically Nick Foles. You're comparing 2 individual players and Romo's career was vastly better

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
If Romo was so great why was he never in position for a fluky run

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

mcmagic posted:

It's a team sport and Eli had 2 fluky runs and was a mediocre player the rest of his career. He's basically Nick Foles. You're comparing 2 individual players and Romo's career was vastly better

One has two super bowl rings and is currently playing in the NFL the other is a broadcaster who never made it to the NFCCG.

Ignoring the obvious way that people judge careers you act like Eli was some poo poo tier QB that the Giants had to drag to the playoffs.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The best qb is named Thad lewis, who was born exactly one year after me

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Doltos posted:

One has two super bowl rings and is currently playing in the NFL the other is a broadcaster who never made it to the NFCCG.

Ignoring the obvious way that people judge careers you act like Eli was some poo poo tier QB that the Giants had to drag to the playoffs.

Closer to poo poo tier than to Romo.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 11, 2019

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Reminder you are debating a Giants fan about a Giants Quarterback being better than a Cowboys Quarterback...

As you were.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Reminder the Giants fan went over what Romo was really great at and put him in the tier under all time great QBs.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
You inspired me to look at pfr and Romo is better in every rate stat, hah. Completion percentage, td rate, int rate, yards/attempt, on almost exactly the same attempts per game fwiw. I forgot how good some of Romo's seasons were.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

iwentdoodie posted:

Top 5 rapists sure

While this us true, Ben will retire in the Top 5 in every statistically important QB measurement. It's not even a debate based on numbers alone

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Metapod posted:

If Romo was so great why was he never in position for a fluky run

Jason Garrett.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sourdough posted:

You inspired me to look at pfr and Romo is better in every rate stat, hah. Completion percentage, td rate, int rate, yards/attempt, on almost exactly the same attempts per game fwiw. I forgot how good some of Romo's seasons were.

He's not just better. He's significantly better.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

Top 5 rapists sure

Being a poo poo person doesn’t remove your professional accomplishments or is this tongue in cheek

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I don't see Ben being Top 5 All-Time anything in a world where he played simultaneously or nearly so with Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, and Farve before we even get to the older All-Time greats like Marino, Elway, or Montana.

That field is pretty loving crowded for a Top 5.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Listen you little pipsqueak. no one brought up all-time other than you, and you'd better say right now if you were joking about it because otherwise i've an argument to win

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Strobe posted:

I don't see Ben being Top 5 All-Time anything in a world where he played simultaneously or nearly so with Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, and Farve before we even get to the older All-Time greats like Marino, Elway, or Montana.

That field is pretty loving crowded for a Top 5.

Ben and Rivers both have a chance to get to top 5 in the big counting stats

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
quick reminder that this is actually the 2019 nfl draft thread

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

In draft news, Bryce Love tore his ACL.
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1083782646524715010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Play posted:

quick reminder that this is actually the 2019 nfl draft thread

There's not a ton of draft news right now which is the problem when the draft thread is made too early, I've found.

Soon there will be arguments on whether or not you should spend a first round pick on a RB, or a flood of playoff posters whose team just lost asking who they can pick with the 26th pick to suddenly turn their team into a full on contender.