Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

What's the elevator pitch for Dragons Dogma? I'd it basically Skyrim x Monster Hunter?

It has a cult following and there are some really cool things about that game, but it has some real problems. The story is terrible, and the way damage and armor are calculated makes the game grindy and gated in an arbitrary way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The gambit system sucks because it's super simple and there is no depth to it (and therefore basically no fights that would require complex automation)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I tried to like it waaaaaay back when it came out, but it didn't do much for me. What did it for you?
I played it for the first time when the Zodiac Age edition came out on steam (so no nostalgia goggles here) but I got 23 hours into it before just losing interest and haven't touched it since :( I can't really remember all of my criticisms against it but I think a lot of it boils down to "meh". I do very specifically remember being bothered by the camera which is uncomfortably close to the characters and can't be tilted, combined with the huge UI that can't be resized (and is full of useless information) taking up the entire screen.

Other than that it was just not very interesting. The dungeons were all bland corridors and there isn't really any exploration, on the overworld treasures are just randomly generated and strewn around and contain trash, the gambit combat system sounded great on paper but it's actually really limited and you can't do anything fun with it so you're basically auto-attacking through everything, the job system is equally uninteresting and the only difference between the different jobs is basically what weapon type your characters are auto-attacking with. The story was fine I guess but iirc there were long stretches of absolutely nothing happening, which didn't help and I can't even really remember what the story was despite playing 23 hours of it so uh :shrug:

all that said.... I'm still probably gonna buy it on the Switch and give it another try because I am absolutely starved for JRPGs.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The best part about FFXII is that your party is not, like, the heroes of legend. There's this whole war and world of political intrigue going on around you that you're only involved with in subtle ways. Reminded me of FFTactics.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wart was/is the Freddy Kreuger of the Mushroom Kingdom.

There needs to be a return to SMB2-esque Mario games.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just to be clear I didn't hate the game or anything. The characters were likeable and nothing was offensively bad, so it was more just that nothing really grabbed me and made me want to keep playing. Which is a shame because I really wanted to like it!

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Andrast posted:

The gambit system sucks because it's super simple and there is no depth to it (and therefore basically no fights that would require complex automation)

I bailed on it after my party was able to beat a boss without any input from me. At that point I felt if I wasn't needed I might as well go play something else.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A good job system in addition to the gambit system which I loving adored. FF has always had this kinda fun but repetitive combat, especially during the exploration and grinding parts of the time. Here with the gambit you could program your team to fight effectively against what you’re facing and just let the AI do its thing. It was really fun to not have to micro manage every fight while also setting up gambits to account for my weaknesses (item management / healing) while still having control to give direct commands during tougher fights.

In addition to the gameplay, I thought the story was really good party. The characters that compose your party are all cool and unique and my main dude Balthier owns.

Cool. I Never played it, but always wanted to. I typically like rpgs that are a little lighter on mechanics, and lean more on story. This game also has a rad aesthetic, so it'll probably hit with me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

content posted:

Cool. I Never played it, but always wanted to. I typically like rpgs that are a little lighter on mechanics, and lean more on story. This game also has a rad aesthetic, so it'll probably hit with me.

I wouldn't really describe FF12 as "leaning more on the story"

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

SMB2 is a wonderful well that Nintendo will never return to, except for when they reach in for basic fan-service stuff like throwing shy guys into other games.

Nintendo doesn't know what to do with their US-oriented properties. See also: Metroid.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I did a full clear in Master Mode and it was really, really, fun.

You spent more time on Master Mode than the devs did.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 11, 2019

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Odd Mutant posted:

lmao

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Odd Mutant posted:

:laugh:

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

bushisms.txt posted:

Also that dope looking Kickstarter dock is shipping this week, will put up impressions when it gets here.

I want to believe the Jumpgate will work and not brick your Switch

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Modus Pwnens posted:

I like these, although I'm sure other third party ones are good too.
Nice, looks like a good option.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was crazy he didn't get a cameo in dream team

content
Feb 13, 2014

Andrast posted:

I wouldn't really describe FF12 as "leaning more on the story"

Boo.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
The NSMBros on Wii was one of the few games that my girlfriend could actually play along and enjoy, so I snatched this new one up.

So is Nabbit basically a "doesn't get hurt by enemies" character? That would be perfect for her to play on this perfect system.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Does NSMBU pull the same poo poo NSMBWii did where dying too many times on the same stage permanently locks you out of 100% completion?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Does NSMBU pull the same poo poo NSMBWii did where dying too many times on the same stage permanently locks you out of 100% completion?

No. The block appears but you only get penalized if you use it, and even then you can complete the stage without using it later to have an unmarred shiny star save

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Perfect, I'm buying Mario.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

FF12 is cool because it has Definitely Not Han Solo and Chewbacca is a 7-foot tall bunny girl and they both own

Man is the main character insufferable though. Like moreso than the usual FF protagonist.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

loudog999 posted:

For anyone that has the Satisfye grip, I got this today and so far it has worked. It is allowing me to "dock" without taking the grip off. Who know if my poo poo will catch on fire after a week but for now its working great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072LWBYDV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of these and used it for months with only one weird problem: it seemed to disrupt the bluetooth on the official controllers. I have a dongle on the dock that lets me use PS4 controllers on the Switch and those always worked fine, but the proper Switch controllers would disconnect constantly. I tried positioning the Switch differently but the connection quality was very noticeable between docked and cable.

Maybe I'm just an idiot but I also have trouble getting the Switch into the dock properly (it's in my entertainment center so I have to wiggle it in without a lot of clearance) so I vastly preferred the cable but haven't been using it lately because of this.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

What do you think is under Ashe's dress?

assless chaps

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Tom Gorman posted:

FF12 is cool because it has Definitely Not Han Solo and Chewbacca is a 7-foot tall bunny girl and they both own

Man is the main character insufferable though. Like moreso than the usual FF protagonist.

Re the main character, he gets less and less important as the game progresses while the more interesting characters become more so, so he's only completely insufferable at the beginning of the game. But I agree, Not Solo and Chewbacca both own hard. I really enjoy FF12 overall though it can be tedious and has other problems.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

I really need to save some money and can only really justify one FF game in April.

I've completed X a bunch of times. It's easily my favorite FF game. I played most of X2 and would very much enjoy playing it again.

I never got past around 10-15 hours in 12. I recall it being very good but I got stuck (due to my own hubris) and couldn't progress.

Make decisions for me. I'm a huge baby!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Thanks for the Master Mode thoughts, y'all. I think I'll give it a shot, if it sucks I'll just go overpower myself or stop playing it altogether!

if you get to the end of the plateau (aka the best tutorial area ever designed), you've seen all the new things master mode has to offer and will be in a good place to make a decision

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

I really need to save some money and can only really justify one FF game in April.

I've completed X a bunch of times. It's easily my favorite FF game. I played most of X2 and would very much enjoy playing it again.

I never got past around 10-15 hours in 12. I recall it being very good but I got stuck (due to my own hubris) and couldn't progress.

Make decisions for me. I'm a huge baby!

play 9

all chaps are assless

Tamar Kaiz
Jul 21, 2018
Zelda BoTW would be awesome if it wasn't always loving raining.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
and have actual dungeons

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I got Into the Breach but I think I'm too worried about perfectionism to play it right. I'm just on the first island and every time I have a building get destroyed I just restart, does it really matter if you 100% everything?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you're on Normal, bump it down to Easy while you get your head wrapped around everything your team can do.

Or just play on Easy forever, who cares?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mons Hubris posted:

I got Into the Breach but I think I'm too worried about perfectionism to play it right. I'm just on the first island and every time I have a building get destroyed I just restart, does it really matter if you 100% everything?

Making mistakes is part of the game and how you learn, you will lose and it’s fine

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah nothing is gated by the difficulty levels but also one building destroyed even at the start isn't reset worthy

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah you can also repair a little grid damage with your reputation at the end of each island. But honestly I just play it on Easy and it feels about right to me. Like Normal feels like Hard in most games and Easy feels like Normal. I don't want to know what Hard feels like that's what she said.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Imagined posted:

But honestly I just play it on Easy and it feels about right to me. [/spoiler].

Maybe I'll give this another shot on easy. I really want to like this game. I've done the first battle to varying success three times now, but I never felt like the game really clicked.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Video game reviewer and national treasure, Tim Rogers has graced us with a video https://kotaku.com/new-super-mario-bros-u-deluxe-the-kotaku-review-1831680503

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
As far as I can tell the only thing different on Easy is there are like 2 less enemy spawns per mission.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's cool that FF14 has decided to make an entire expansion coming this Summer basically about FF12, and tellingly the only characters from FF12 they brought back (at this time) are Fran and Gabranth aka FF Darth Vader. Seeing Fran and Gabby in a game that's actually good makes me so very happy.

Zodiac Age is weird in that I'm willing to forgive a bunch of FF12's weirder sins in the face of easier gameplay, like its damning with faint praise that I play a lot of it with the 4x speed mode on. I eventually grew tired of it though despite playing the PS2 version to 100% because the new job system IMO is actually more of a hindrance than fun. The original PS2 Zodiac edition let you pick A job, and Zodiac Age lets you pick TWO jobs, but there's no respec options to speak of. I preferred base version 12 where the license board was like FF10's Sphere Grid and the eventual endgame was that everyone could do everything and the big choices regarding party members were which ones had the most effective exclusive limit breaks. I typically like job systems in JRPGs and on paper I should love Zodiac Age's but something about the cast and the way its put together just puts me off.

The Pirate Captain posted:

Re the main character, he gets less and less important as the game progresses while the more interesting characters become more so, so he's only completely insufferable at the beginning of the game. But I agree, Not Solo and Chewbacca both own hard. I really enjoy FF12 overall though it can be tedious and has other problems.

It's really frustrating that Vaan and Penelo even exist in the game. It's so blatantly tailored to Basch and Ashe being the protagonists because they have all the Matsuno protagonist tropes but no here's R2D2 and C3P0 as your "main characters."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Tamar Kaiz posted:

Zelda BoTW would be awesome if it wasn't always loving raining.

It's not.

Over There posted:

and have actual dungeons

It does.