Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

"If people just sit down and take this, it could go on forever. But I think if people stand up, if they're willing to go on strike, if they're not getting paid, they could stop this tomorrow," Thompson said.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/rally-at-bwi-marshall-seeks-end-to-partial-government-shutdown/25849970

some DSA work that isn't cringey as hell

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

They're antifascist culture jammers. With that combination of words I'm not really sure what you're expecting from them. Maybe a gun that shoots ponies.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Couple updates from SF

We shut down the California Public Utilities Commission yesterday as a part of our continuing campaign against PG&E, the states for-profit electrical power monopoly. PG&E's half assed approach to maintenence and safety led to another round of deadly fires, and the state is looking to bail them out by allowing them to raise rates on all of us to pay for lawsuits. We're trying to push them to nationalize it instead of continuing to protect it's profits. This is really starting gain steam, we've got 5 or 6 local groups joining a coalition with us and we were able to put this action together with a few days of organizing. Even media is starting to come around, this report really makes the commission look like dicks.

Then later in the day we held our kickoff for the SF Public Bank Coalition, an effort to create a publicly owned municipal bank to challenge the dominance of Wall Street banks in public financing and support investment in affordable housing, student loans, local infrastructure, and everything else that normal banks ignore because it's not maximally profitable. It's an independent coalition, but it was founded by DSA SF members and most of the leadership is in DSA. More than 250 people showed up!

https://twitter.com/FielderJackie/status/1083595592712937472?s=19

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Baby Babbeh posted:

Couple updates from SF

We shut down the California Public Utilities Commission yesterday as a part of our continuing campaign against PG&E, the states for-profit electrical power monopoly. PG&E's half assed approach to maintenence and safety led to another round of deadly fires, and the state is looking to bail them out by allowing them to raise rates on all of us to pay for lawsuits. We're trying to push them to nationalize it instead of continuing to protect it's profits. This is really starting gain steam, we've got 5 or 6 local groups joining a coalition with us and we were able to put this action together with a few days of organizing. Even media is starting to come around, this report really makes the commission look like dicks.

Then later in the day we held our kickoff for the SF Public Bank Coalition, an effort to create a publicly owned municipal bank to challenge the dominance of Wall Street banks in public financing and support investment in affordable housing, student loans, local infrastructure, and everything else that normal banks ignore because it's not maximally profitable. It's an independent coalition, but it was founded by DSA SF members and most of the leadership is in DSA. More than 250 people showed up!

https://twitter.com/FielderJackie/status/1083595592712937472?s=19

this owns

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ruzihm posted:

this owns

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ruzihm posted:

this owns

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ruzihm posted:

this owns

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pg&e is probably the most hated organization in el dorado county besides the sherrifs. which is really saying something here. anyway congrats

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
gently caress em' up

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ruzihm posted:

this owns

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ruzihm posted:

this owns

hell yeah gently caress em up

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Ruzihm posted:

this owns

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

gently caress em' up

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

hi DSA thread, I posted awhile back about trying to get out and volunteer and I reached out to some organizations but didn't receive a response. I wrote to the IWOC and the Prison Activist Resource Network. is there something specific I should say to see if they want help, or should I assume that because nobody responded I'm not needed?

also you don't have to be a member to attend general meetings right? it wasn't clear online but I can't afford membership dues right now because I'm unemployed but Id like to put my tremendous free time to use more productively than stewing in sadness and failure

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Frog Act posted:

hi DSA thread, I posted awhile back about trying to get out and volunteer and I reached out to some organizations but didn't receive a response. I wrote to the IWOC and the Prison Activist Resource Network. is there something specific I should say to see if they want help, or should I assume that because nobody responded I'm not needed?

also you don't have to be a member to attend general meetings right? it wasn't clear online but I can't afford membership dues right now because I'm unemployed but Id like to put my tremendous free time to use more productively than stewing in sadness and failure

Every local should let you attend. Some(?) might not let you vote

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Frog Act posted:

also you don't have to be a member to attend general meetings right?

that is correct

just be sure to bring your badge and your gun to prove you are in fact a cop

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Frog Act posted:

I think it's more likely that they are overwhelmed with stuff to do compared to people to do it to the point that they never got around to answering.

quote:

I don't want to say for sure because it would depend on the chapter really, but probably you don't need to be a member. Most chapter bylaws I have seen have provisions for allowing non-member volunteers to get involved. However, no one can be turned away from membership due to financial hardship. There's a waiver but also you can join with a custom dues amount of $0, it's basically a suggested donation.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
It's also entirely possible that someone would be willing to sponsor you (pay your dues for you)

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

I cannot imagine turning away someone who shows up and wants to do work.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Frog Act posted:

You shouldn't need to be a dues paying member for general meetings, and usually not working groups, though you can't vote on stuff, but we generally always welcome extra hands to show up and help with events. If your local DSA winds up fitting well with you, but paying dues is a hardship, reach out to your local SC once you're involved, there are both hardship lower dues, and ways for an SC/local to sponsor folks who are contributing members but can't afford to give up money.

As others have said, it does vary from chapter to chapter and some right now are more worried about info-sec so will have rules about asking non-members to leave for voting issues and other sensitive parts of meetings, or might ask you to keep away from the sign in table.

Others are a bit more lax, like a committee I'm on had a meeting this week where 4 of the 10 people in attendance were new members who hadn't paid dues or are curious about joining. Frankly I don't care if they ever give a dollar, if they can help I'm welcoming them aboard.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

cool, thanks dudes. in the meantime should I write to those organizations again or can anyone suggest another group to message? I'm in Central VA where there is a decent sized chapter. I'm really bad at finding this stuff myself

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

I cannot imagine turning away someone who shows up and wants to do work.

Same, but there are some garbo chapters so who knows.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

cool, thanks dudes. in the meantime should I write to those organizations again or can anyone suggest another group to message? I'm in Central VA where there is a decent sized chapter. I'm really bad at finding this stuff myself

Can't hurt to write them again at least.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Frog Act posted:

Might also help to check and see if your local DSA chapters have a social media presence and get in touch with them with something like "Hi! I wanna get involved with <causes> how can I help? And do you know other organizations that do good in those fields too?"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Frog Act posted:

Charlottesville just had its general meeting this past Wednesday. Whether your closest chapter is Charlottesville, Richmond, the new Augusta County chapter, or some other one I don't know about, just show up to their next general meeting. Most of us announce them publicly on social media.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

https://twitter.com/mags_mclaugh/status/1083836411390746624?s=19

*faaaart*

reminder that this person is a colossal dumbass

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
that's the person who tweeted about her families black friend being a "raging capitalist" isn't it?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
we must have a strongly organized central committee that we can then ignore to do charity work as our whims suggest - an organizing genius

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
most of those bullet points are completely free of substance, DSA should be anti imperialist, DSA should be a big tent, DSA should participate with Bernie's campaign "strategically, what does any of that mean?

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Postoyevsky posted:

*faaaart*

"Structure at the top and freedom at the bottom" seems like a self contradictory statement.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Idk I read through the actual doc and most of it is inoffensive and/or should go without saying, I couldn't remember why her or malloy were bad

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
liberalism also lol @ calling everyone you don’t like a careerist

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

slicing up eyeballs posted:

Idk I read through the actual doc and most of it is inoffensive and/or should go without saying, I couldn't remember why her or malloy were bad

That's kinda the problem though. They're not really saying anything at all.

"The DSA should be big tent," is something that basically everyone in the DSA already agrees with. Reiterating in a statement about what you think the DSA should do is pointless.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

DSA should exclusively be a pipeline to get social democrats elected as Democrats who are then completely bought and paid for by the ten rich guys that own the world.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Postoyevsky posted:

*faaaart*

i've read this three times. what the hell are they trying to say, exactly? DSA bad and need change?

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

TrilliontonNixon posted:

That's kinda the problem though. They're not really saying anything at all.

"The DSA should be big tent," is something that basically everyone in the DSA already agrees with. Reiterating in a statement about what you think the DSA should do is pointless.

Oh ok so they just look like dorks, then?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

TrilliontonNixon posted:

"The DSA should be big tent," is something that basically everyone in the DSA already agrees with.

I mean, in theory. In practice, it does not always work that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

liberalism also lol @ calling everyone you don’t like a careerist

Yeah they should stick to the traditional term for this, "wrecker."