Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It’s ok I only caught herring and one squid the other night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Seriously, Saturday was such a brutal introduction to surf fishing. I was totally prepared for the weather conditions (warm and dry even after 6 hours straight in the rain, other than my boots!), but the surf was crazy.

LingcodKilla posted:

It's ok I only caught herring and one squid the other night.

You ever pickle or fry the herring? I'm interested in trying that sometime.

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 8, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hooplah posted:

Seriously, Saturday was such a brutal introduction to surf fishing. I was totally prepared for the weather conditions (warm and dry even after 6 hours straight in the rain, other than my boots!), but the surf was crazy.

You ever pickle or fry the herring? I'm interested in trying that sometime.

I caught some mighty 6 inchers. Threw them in a bag and in the freezer they went for future bait.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
My wife is taking the kids to Disneyland tomorrow which means I'm going to the office for about 2 hours before I go "work from home". I bought some new lures to throw on the new rod (the one with the Tranx). I'm pumped to try out the spiral wrapped rod, can't wait to see how this 7'10 heavy handles a 6 inch mackerel.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I've seen this! I wish the cormorants around here were team players.

TRIP REPORT

On Saturday, Hooplah and I met some of my friends on the coast for surf fishing and razor clamming. The forecast was very similar to the successful trip last month, so anticipation and expectations were running high. The forecast gave a pretty high chance of rain, but in the past the rain showers have moved pretty quickly and we have fished through them. That ... was not the case on Saturday.

It looked like this when we got to the beach a little before noon, at the peak of high tide. This was as nice as the weather would be all goddamn day. It wasn't icy cold outside, but there was a near-constant drizzle. Winds were at our backs, so at least we didn't have to cast into headwind, but that was cold comfort.

The surf was as rough as I've ever seen it and currents were tossing our terminal tackle all over the loving place. Last month I used a steelhead rod and a 2oz coin sinker and caught a bunch, but this time I stepped up to my 10' surf rod and a 4oz pyramid sinker. That didn't seem to matter much, as that poo poo was getting tossed around and buried too. I've never even needed 4oz, let alone had that be insufficient!

Fishing was so loving slow. My buddy caught three redtails to my one, which is the pretty standard ratio with him and me. Poor Hooplah, though! It's like the coast decided to haze him that day. A couple of large waves emptied right into his boots early in the day, and his feet never got the chance to recover. His tackle that has worked so well on the pier proved to be woefully inadequate for the beach. Surf fishing is such a departure from most other types of fishing that I think it would have been a learning experience either way, but the weather and surf conditions made it cruel.

Right around dusk we switched gear for razor clams, and the past couple of times I've been razor clamming everyone has been able to dig their limit in under and hour. So, of course, this was the hardest dig I've ever experienced and I only got a third of my limit before we called it quits. My new headlamp worked a treat though (thanks again for the tip, Sockington!), but erratic waves and steady rain made finding the clam shows nearly impossible. It's hard enough to find them at night with a gentle tide and clear weather, but we pounded the sand with our clam guns up and down the beach and did so poorly. Hooplah spotted and dug two razor clams himself without help, which is extremely commendable given the conditions.

Anyway, that's a lot of words before some pics. I wound up with the entire catch because nobody else wanted to clean it. I was borderline insistent that Hooplah take it, as it didn't seem right that the first timer who had a miserable experience should go home empty-handed, but I can also understand being exhausted and frustrated and not wanting to cut up a bunch of fish after that.

It was nice to have a few redtails to fillet, though, and I remembered to save the good scraps for stock and the bad scraps for crab bait this time.

These clams are still very much alive and do not like it at all when you cut them from their shells.

Here's what one cleaned razor clam looks like, for the curious.

And for posterity, here's what it looked like on December 31, 2017 before we started clamming. Sorry, Hooplah. :(

Have you ever smoked razors?

I periodically have access to basically unlimited razor clams and have thought about either hot smoking and vacuum sealing / freezing or lightly smoking and canning some for indefinite shelf stable storage. Not sure if it would dry them out too much though.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hooplah posted:

The whole day was like lovely conditions PNW surf fishing boot camp. You endured the worst conditions, got a bitter taste of weird surf conditions, had a Rainier tallboy on the beach, and successfully found and dug razor clams. The graduation ceremony usually involves removing clam guts, but hopefully you'll get to do that fifteen times after your next dig.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Have you ever smoked razors?

I periodically have access to basically unlimited razor clams and have thought about either hot smoking and vacuum sealing / freezing or lightly smoking and canning some for indefinite shelf stable storage. Not sure if it would dry them out too much though.

I haven't! The clams are too small for the racks in my smoker so I'd need to get some kind of fine-mesh wire screen or something similar. I'm jealous of your clam access! I understand that practically all of the commercial razor clam harvest is sold as commercial crab bait, which is loving criminal. Why can't they take horse clams or some other garbage bivalve that isn't sweet and delicious?

In case anybody here doesn't also follow the A/T fishing thread, I am both giving away jigs and sinkers that I've already made and taking orders for more, which I will also give away. I have a shitload of Do-It molds, over fifty pounds of lead, and literally thousands of jig hooks of various sizes. I can't make dick spoons, but I can always use more practice and I want to see more fish posted itt. Please let me make hand-made custom tackle for you free of charge.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gimme some in person one of these days.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I guess I’ll have to try the smoked clams this summer. I think it might work, with really careful smoking.

I didn’t know they were selling commercial razors as bait, that’s nuts. Such a prized resource, and though I don’t know anything about crab bait, I assumed crabs are not picky eaters.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Rock crabs #1 food item is barnacles. Dungees have a more varied died. They will eat just about any protein. I found bony meats like fish heads and drumsticks to be the best because it’s harder to strip out of the bait box.
Apparently truly rotten meat is not a great bait and nasty to deal with anyways.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I did a bit of bait testing while crabbing this summer and crabs did not care for the stinky bait and do absolutely love clams. We had more razor clam necks than we needed for redtail bait and the crabs swarmed the traps that we put the clam bits in.

Also for anyone interested, here is a mostly complete inventory of the molds that I have right now. I need to update it and fill in a few blanks, but it should give an idea of what's available.

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
Man, I moved from the country to a nearby city to finish up school and be closer to my job about 6 months ago, so I've been lazy about driving places to fish in the time since. This thread is making me reaaaally want to get back out there and fish.

Here are my fish to post:

Small catfish caught from my canoe using worms a few years ago. We ended up eating that one. That water back in that area is about 3-4 feet

Different occasion but around the same time: small bass from a river using a tiny green and brown plastic minnow around a fallen/sunken tree near the river's edge. We let him go.

Keep em comin' guys.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I throw 'em in a little bowl I keep by my tying stuff to eventually get to later.

Anybody still interested in doing a fly tying thread/traveling fly box? I kinda got busy with work the past couple months and it slipped my mind.

I'm definitely still down. I've got some catching up to do in this thread, too. I have been fishing, just not posting. I'd say w/r/t fly tying & using leftover stuff-- never forget that fish aren't super smart and get creative. I asked to borrow a fly recently from one of the best fisherman I know, and his box of nymphs was like an alien world to me. He had really simple patterns that were really flashy and colorful, none of which were smaller than a size 12. It made me think more of a steelhead or salmon box than trout, and yet this dude wrecks huge trout weekly.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hXUneVk

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

I'm definitely still down. I've got some catching up to do in this thread, too. I have been fishing, just not posting. I'd say w/r/t fly tying & using leftover stuff-- never forget that fish aren't super smart and get creative. I asked to borrow a fly recently from one of the best fisherman I know, and his box of nymphs was like an alien world to me. He had really simple patterns that were really flashy and colorful, none of which were smaller than a size 12. It made me think more of a steelhead or salmon box than trout, and yet this dude wrecks huge trout weekly.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hXUneVk

Big beefy unit nice!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I don't know many patterns but I'd be more than willing to contribute to a travelling fly box! I need to get out fishing more often.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Dangerllama posted:

Annnnnnnnd then I broke my Recon again. Ironically in the same spot on the river as last time.

This’ll probably be my last Orvis rod.

Their warranty is NICE though. My favorite claim was when I took my h1 out of the back of my girlfriend's car and left it in the storage shed at work while I drove to Atlanta to pick up something big, then forgot and left it over night. By the next day, it had been stolen by a local amphetamine enthusiast. I put an ad on the local radio that I was offering a $300 reward for its return since that would've been cheaper than buying a new h2. Couple weeks went by, and I went ahead and bought that h2...

Meanwhile, Old Man John had already sold my rod to somebody for $35, but when he heard the radio ad he bought it back for $50 and returned it to me trying to claim the reward. Unfortunately, it had gotten hosed up somewhere during this process and was broken into 3 pieces; furthermore, I knew he had stolen it since he took it to the police department first and they laid out the whole scenario for me, although they didn't pick him up since I didn't press charges. I slipped him a 20, filed the warranty claim, gave the rod to my girlfriends dad, and Johnny Boy got arrested for stealing stuff from the thrift store donation drop off less than a week later.

e: and I've never actually had an Orvis rod break outside of car door type circumstances, for whatever that's worth. There are a lot of good rods in the world though. I broke my Syndicate 3 weeks ago trying to pop my flies off a rock with 6x tippet, but I'm pretty sure that's my fault since that rod has SEEN SOME poo poo, MAN

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 22, 2019

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’m pretty sure the rod warranty thing is industry standard these days. Broken rod = pay some amount (usually $50 or $60 or whatever), get a repaired rod in a month or two. Doesn’t matter the cause. Mostly I’m just annoyed that I literally had like four or five days on the thing after having gotten it back for a repair in a different location. I feel like the rod is a lemon.

Meanwhile, my Browning Black Canyon 9’ 6-wt appears to be utterly bulletproof.

I’ll probably get a Sage on the next go-around. My 7.5’ 3-wt Pulse is a hoot.

In fly tying news: fuckin’ microfibets :argh:

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I have never fished anything nicer than an ugly stick spinning rod or reddington fly rod.

I would be so nervous taking an expensive rod out, regardless of replacement policies.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I just pulled the trigger on ordering the rigid bottom inflatable that I've been eyeballing for almost a year. poo poo just got real. :bustem:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh snap! You need to prep for shrimp trapping now! I’ll give you some used pots to start with and you can upgrade at your leisure.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I was under the impression that those need to be very deep and that you basically need an electric pot-puller if you don't want to manually hoist a few hundred feet of rope. Am I mistaken? Also I think I'm going to stick to lakes with a trolling motor until I can afford a decent outboard, register it with the coast guard, etc in salt water. Still, I cannot loving wait to get off the shore. This should open up a lot of salmon opportunities.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I was under the impression that those need to be very deep and that you basically need an electric pot-puller if you don't want to manually hoist a few hundred feet of rope. Am I mistaken? Also I think I'm going to stick to lakes with a trolling motor until I can afford a decent outboard, register it with the coast guard, etc in salt water. Still, I cannot loving wait to get off the shore. This should open up a lot of salmon opportunities.

Where there’s a will there’s a way. Design a rope puller that works off a drill with a few batteries.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I mean I hope to have an actual electric pot-puller before the season opens, but I want to get to know the boat a bit. I most definitely want to be able to harvest substantial amounts of shrimp.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I got to sneak out for a bit today and play with one of my new rods. After around an hours drive, I got to Inverness, got parked and found out that 2 of my planned fishing spots on the main lake had closed in November and were going to remain closed for all of 2019. Welp. So instead I focused on the 3rd spot on a neighboring pond with an awesome dock around it. The water was so gin clear that I could see all the grass around me and in every spot was a clearly visible bed. Sadly, nothing on the beds because it was fuckoff cold (for florida at least) and the fish were likely hiding further out. But, I got to gently caress around with the new rod and found a new place to go once it warms up. And hopefully once the other parks open up, I'll get to fish those too. I think next I need to visit Lake Rousseau.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Last week the guy who runs the gym I go to tipped me off about a local river where he'd seen some large carp sunning themselves I went and checked it out today; he wasn't lying, I got to the spot and straight away saw a couple of chunky swamp trout chilling out on the surface.

Turned out they weren't hungry and several swam straight past the worms and corn I had out under a float. After a couple of hours I was just about to pack up the gear and head home when I saw line peeling off one of my reels. It took about 20 minutes to get it in with the 1-3kg rod I use for carp but eventually I got it within reach of the landing net.

The trick in the end was using very lightly weighted corn for bait, and then throwing handfuls of corn around where I'd cast the bait. The fish picked up the bait while it was hoovering up all the corn I'd scattered around.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gay picnic defence posted:

Last week the guy who runs the gym I go to tipped me off about a local river where he'd seen some large carp sunning themselves I went and checked it out today; he wasn't lying, I got to the spot and straight away saw a couple of chunky swamp trout chilling out on the surface.

Turned out they weren't hungry and several swam straight past the worms and corn I had out under a float. After a couple of hours I was just about to pack up the gear and head home when I saw line peeling off one of my reels. It took about 20 minutes to get it in with the 1-3kg rod I use for carp but eventually I got it within reach of the landing net.

The trick in the end was using very lightly weighted corn for bait, and then throwing handfuls of corn around where I'd cast the bait. The fish picked up the bait while it was hoovering up all the corn I'd scattered around.

Get a bow.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Bow fishing isn't legal here unfortunately.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Bow fishing isn't legal here unfortunately.

Why does Australia hate fun? Excellent poop trout, though!

I picked up my trolling motor yesterday and the boat will be delivered tomorrow. Maiden voyage should be next Sunday. :derp:IT'S HAPPENING:derp:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Our poop trout creek has a setup the locals use.

Have a small trout sized hook with 5-6pellets of corn on it. Tie a stopper about 8” up from the hook, and put on an in-line weight with another stopper about 12” up from that. A slip bobber setup on top of all that.

You chum the water with corn, and toss your weighted setup to the bottom of the chum mess.

Your inline weight will sit on the bottom, and the 12” of line between the stoppers will let the carp suck the hook and start moving before they feel any tension (which I’m told is key sometimes).

You’ll notice your slip bobber start moving on top of the water and then you set the hook.

The trout and salmon guys love using their big centre pins for this before trout season gets going.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

January fly fishing is really frustrating. That is all.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

January fly fishing is really frustrating. That is all.

What are you using? I’ve been running a size 14 egg as a point fly and then a tiny zebra midge or two under it. As long as the previous day or two have been warm (mid-40s to 50s) the trout have been frisky.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yesterday I didn’t change up much. Went up to Deckers and ran a #22 blue poison tung in front of a #22 juju baetis. No love, so I swapped the trailer out for a #24 top secret midge. Still nothing. A guy I passed in the lot just upstream of Deckers said he saw a riser, but I never saw any takes.

Didn’t even see a single fish, so it was less “what are they eating” and more “where the gently caress are they?”

The water is skinny enough that I wasn’t using any extra weight (still touching bottom every once in a while). I assume the fish are stacked up in the deep holes, which all have someone posted up in them by the time it warms up enough to be fishable.

It was packed yesterday.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Yesterday I didn’t change up much. Went up to Deckers and ran a #22 blue poison tung in front of a #22 juju baetis. No love, so I swapped the trailer out for a #24 top secret midge. Still nothing. A guy I passed in the lot just upstream of Deckers said he saw a riser, but I never saw any takes.

Didn’t even see a single fish, so it was less “what are they eating” and more “where the gently caress are they?”

The water is skinny enough that I wasn’t using any extra weight (still touching bottom every once in a while). I assume the fish are stacked up in the deep holes, which all have someone posted up in them by the time it warms up enough to be fishable.

It was packed yesterday.

With the spate of colder weather and precipitation, it’s going to be garbage for a while again. You might as well stay home and tie flies. I’ve been building up my stock of midges and flashback p-tails. Started tying weighted yarn eggs for early spring and those haven’t been bad. I’m tempted to try a small jigged version of an egg pattern to keep it from snagging when I bounce them off the bottom.

I’ve seen some interesting jigged nymph patterns I want to try - including a version of a squirmy that supposedly is “no snag” since it’s jigged.

Larger stretches of clear creek around golden haven’t been bad, but my usual haunts around Idaho Springs and the Eagle are basically locked up for the year. :smith:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I caught my first ever rainbow yesterday, courtesy of A Pack of Kobolds and his new boat

It was delicious sauteed in butter with some fresh thyme and smashed garlic

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Uh what body of water did you catch that in?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ballinger. It's open year-round with no special regs on trout.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hooplah posted:

Ballinger. It's open year-round with no special regs on trout.

Nah not that it looks like immature salmon than a rainbow. Was curious if the water had access to salt.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It may have been a native cutthroat; those live in there. I'm not aware of seagoing salmon in that lake, but a fair number of lakes around here have kokanee in them. I wasn't aware that Ballinger did, but if it does, all the more reason to go back.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Yeah, it's super silvery. It has black spots over the whole tail, and the whole mouth and tongue was white. Is that enough to make the distinction? It had a bit of coloration on its side, but my camera wasn't picking it up in the stark lighting. I found a few pics on fishbrain of people fishing ballinger posting "rainbow trout" that look pale like mine, so it might be a common thing in that lake.

Anything else that makes you think salmon?

It may have been a native cutthroat; those live in there. I'm not aware of seagoing salmon in that lake, but a fair number of lakes around here have kokanee in them. I wasn't aware that Ballinger did, but if it does, all the more reason to go back.

I know there's kokanee in lake washington, maybe they can make it from there?

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 28, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oops yeah white on white is rainbow/steelhead.

Black mouth white gum is coho

Black mouth black gum is chinook

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Hooplah posted:

I caught my first ever rainbow yesterday, courtesy of A Pack of Kobolds and his new boat

It was delicious sauteed in butter with some fresh thyme and smashed garlic

Congrats! What a pretty (and delicious) fish. Hopefully many more are in your future!