Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

InitialDave posted:

Isn't this the entire ridiculousness of a border wall?

I thought the majority of "illegal immigration" into the US was "legal immigrants/visitors who don't leave when they're supposed to"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wk6rswxQro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Source. Of course more people in an area drive up prices. California has the jobs so of course more people are going there.

However as pointed out it ain't those that would be blocked by a wall causing the problem. And isn't it the case that there is a net migration from shithouse red states to the big blue ones because of the jobs and in general the big blue states aren't backwater shitholes? Good luck stopping that.

Let alone anything I've read said there's basically fuckall NET migration going on from Mexico to the USA. It's even reversed lately at times.

Let alone cries about "California being sanctuary state!!! It's all dem illegals fault!!!" is in fact a racist dogwhistle. Example - the current racist in chief blowing as loving hard on said dogwhistle as he can.

In the most dense parts of Cali it's also comorbid with the 'MAH PROPERTY VALUES' NIBMY squad making it impossible to increase housing density despite increased population pressure to fill the jobs, and the idiotic property tax laws limiting increases to 2% per year despite housing values having gone up 350% in the last 30.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I think those numbers of % overstayers are low. I've seen 60% as a fairly well researched number. The thing about circular flow was a pretty drat good interesting point tho.....

Australia has a natural border wall (A loving big ocean) and thatt hasnt done a thing to stop illegal stayers. As much as the racist pricks in the conservative side of politcs (wow.. Funny how conservative politcs tend to be racist) makes a godawful huge issue of boat arrivals (and remember, NOONE who arrives and claims asylum is an illegal immigrant, this is a legal border crossing), 98% of all illegals arrive by air. And it is dead easy to do and frankly cheap these days.

So if a country with the most effective natural wall border cant stop people then how the gently caress is Trump's stupid garbage going to?

And note above, as much as the conservative side of politcs says otherwise and they counts them as illegal entrants, NO ONE who crosses a border and claims asylum is an illegal. NO ONE. Any country that is a signature to the refugee convention, this is a legal way to enter the country and stay while being processed. Oh and from the studies I've seen, 96% of all people who claim asylum are genuine refugees.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I do like Adam Ruins Everything, though I'm always a little dubious as to when there's a bit of spin being put on stuff.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
Anyone here have any experience with the Chevy 6.5 diesel PMD issues? My father is going through a hell of a time with a K2500 and all I'm finding is alot old timer "throw parts at it until it behaves, don't trust the computer" which rubs me entirely the wrong way.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

STR posted:

Her mom is paying $2400/year to insure a 14 year old base model Matrix with $750 deductibles (full coverage, and 50/100/50 limits vs the state minimums).
Jesus, and 40 years old? How many claims/tickets does she have?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think those numbers of % overstayers are low. I've seen 60% as a fairly well researched number.

According to my wife, who up until a year ago worked with human trafficking victims and rehoming refugees, that’s a very close number as to the going estimate which is another reason why the wall is bullshit.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Just learnt that someone stole my portable jump starter and my little purse of car park change from my car.

Any recommendations for a little lithium jumper pack?

(Partly annoyed that I didn't notice it before, which means I must have left the car unlocked somewhere, partly happy that I don't have a busted window to deal with)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Thanks for all the help with wife-car advice, especially Blindjoe with his Pathfinder horror stories. We picked up the 2015 Highlander XLE I linked a couple days ago. Thing is really nice, I have a little new car envy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Shut up Meg posted:

Just learnt that someone stole my portable jump starter and my little purse of car park change from my car.

(Partly annoyed that I didn't notice it before, which means I must have left the car unlocked somewhere, partly happy that I don't have a busted window to deal with)

Thieving fucks.

I don't own one, but the Rugged Geek stuff is supposed to be really good. I think they use Amazon as their primary store for retail.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

If anyone is looking for a :stonk: true crime podcast may I suggest "Cold". It is a locally produced one about a missing person/presumed murdered Susan Powell. It has been covered by others, Sword and Scale did a two parter on it but this is definitely better. There are never before released audio clips, police notes, interviews, etc. The podcast has not yet completed but there are I think eight episodes. It is well done, and some of the details are so bizarre.

EDIT to not double post like a chump:

https://www.ksl.com/article/46466208/police-blame-bird-box-challenge-for-crash-in-layton

quote:

Police are investigating a crash earlier this week that they believe was tied to the viral “Bird Box Challenge,” which involves having your eyes covered while performing tasks.

Police responded to a report of a crash on the Layton Parkway near I-15 just before 5 p.m. Monday, Layton Police Lt. Travis Lyman said.

“Apparently, as a part of this ‘Bird Box Challenge,’ (the driver) used her beanie to pull over her eyes as she was driving on Layton Parkway, and she ended up losing control of her car and skidded into the westbound lanes of Layton Parkway and hit another car and ended up hitting a light pole as well,” Lyman said.

The 17-year-old girl, whose name was not released, was driving a pickup truck and initially told police she was talking with a friend in the pickup and had gotten distracted. However, after some follow-up interviews, including with the other driver, police were able to tie the crash to the viral internet challenge, Lyman said.

These are the same people chewing on Tide Pods. We all do stupid things as kids, but this is something else.

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 11, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Shut up Meg posted:

I got one on Amazon labeled "Superpow" bc it was on sale for $30 regular $89. So far it has worked as advertised. I have jumped a 2JZ multiple times, a 2.4 diesel once and my friends Vespa like 20 times in a row while we were trying to get it to stay running.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

The police report will tell all, but not for a few weeks. Insurance already factored in my repairs with receipts. If it ends up being UM, I should get my deductible back.

I'm test driving an MKS Ecoboost tonight. Curious what the American turbo luxobarge experience is like. I've had lots of exposure to older 5 series BMW and E class Mercs, so that's my reference.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Came home for lunch, finished some leftovers and still hungry, so ate half a bag of Hawkins Cheezies

God drat, they are so good but sooooo salty.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

slidebite posted:

Thieving fucks.

I don't own one, but the Rugged Geek stuff is supposed to be really good. I think they use Amazon as their primary store for retail.

everdave posted:

I got one on Amazon labeled "Superpow" bc it was on sale for $30 regular $89. So far it has worked as advertised. I have jumped a 2JZ multiple times, a 2.4 diesel once and my friends Vespa like 20 times in a row while we were trying to get it to stay running.

It was a bit bizarre: in a car park and I couldn't find the little bag of coins I keep for the meter and I was thinking that I must have left it in a jacket pocket.
It was only when I checked the glovebox and noticed that the jumper pack was missing that I realised they'd been taken.

Nothing else: not even the satnav which I am pretty sure was in the same cubbybox on top of the coins bag: guess they don't bother with stuff like that anymore.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Woop! Just gave my two week notice to my boss! I've been unhappy at work for a while and undercompensated while being strung along about getting better compensation for a year now, and I accepted a job offer at an engineering firm that's got a great reputation and all round seems like a better environment with a very promising career trajectory.

These are going to be an exciting two weeks, and I can't wait for the honeymoon to start at the new place :allears:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Do you suppose this wall is gonna keep out those Airbuses arriving at LAX?

This is pretty much my take on it.
As I understand it, most illegal immigration is from folks overstaying their visas. No wall is going to prevent people from entering the country legally and then just not leaving.

InitialDave posted:

Isn't this the entire ridiculousness of a border wall?

I thought the majority of "illegal immigration" into the US was "legal immigrants/visitors who don't leave when they're supposed to"?

e:f,b.

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I do like Adam Ruins Everything, though I'm always a little dubious as to when there's a bit of spin being put on stuff.

The one he did on the eyecare/eyeglasses industry drat near had me frothing at the mouth. Literally one of the reasons I finally stepped up and got LASIK. gently caress Luxotica.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bajaha posted:

Woop! Just gave my two week notice to my boss! I've been unhappy at work for a while and undercompensated while being strung along about getting better compensation for a year now, and I accepted a job offer at an engineering firm that's got a great reputation and all round seems like a better environment with a very promising career trajectory.

These are going to be an exciting two weeks, and I can't wait for the honeymoon to start at the new place :allears:

:yotj:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bajaha posted:

Congrats!

Abandoned thoughts of coming west?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Congrats!

Abandoned thoughts of coming west?

Seems like, we've been thinking of starting a family and with my wife's condition having my parents there to help out is indispensable.

The firm I'm going to is local only so no way to go west without switching companies but with a solid chance of making partner in the future and knowing that the average employee has been there for 10 years I feel it's the best career move I could make at the moment while allowing us to comfortably start a family in the short term. Comes with a good salary bump and much better benefits (good health and a 5% RRSP match)

Also the new position starts with essentially 4 weeks vacation ( 3 + office shutdown between Christmas and New Year's) so I'll have plenty of time to visit west at least.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

AnnoyBot posted:

I'm test driving an MKS Ecoboost tonight. Curious what the American turbo luxobarge experience is like. I've had lots of exposure to older 5 series BMW and E class Mercs, so that's my reference.

Pretty sure I had a MKS as rental a couple years ago and just had a new continental last month. They drove about exactly how I expected them to, comfortable but numb. I feel like the MKS was nicer in some ways, since the continental was trying to be sportier than it should have. Why does a Lincoln luxobarge need paddle shifters and aggressively bolstered seats(I am a skinny gently caress so the seat was pretty comfy, but I have to assume "normal" sized americans would have issues. Unsurprisingly the left bolster was beat to poo poo). Also the push button shifter next to the headunit screen pissed me off. Both were faster than I expected them to be.

They were both pretty nice cars, but my '04 Lexus LS430 drives nicer than both of them, despite have 130k miles on it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Had a quick meeting this morning to confirm I am moving into a supervisor position when my current one leaves the company in the near future.

So that's aces.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Good career things on this page, well done people.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Shut up Meg posted:

I got a Gooloo GP37-Plus for xmas and I'm pretty happy with it so far (~$50), the day after Xmas I had to jumpstart my Miata that likes to drain the battery if I forget to unhook the quick-connect positive clamp when it's sitting for a while so that was a handy gift.

It took all of about 9 seconds to accomplish and the unit itself is pretty solid feeling and doesn't feel like chinesium garbage so far.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

All this good career stuff is just reminding me how corporate recently smacked down overtime, so I'm getting poorer while work is stacking up higher on my desk. Dorks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That sucks. My department is almost always guaranteed two open OT shifts every weekend. And because of how they shuffled the dept right before I was hired I ended up with seniority based on hire date so I get first dibs on OT.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My boss likes to give me annual raises without saying anything or having a formal review so that first direct deposit of January is always a "Hey, what's going on here" moment as I try to figure out how much of a raise I got and how much more stupid poo poo it will facilitate me purchasing per week.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

cakesmith handyman posted:

Good career things on this page, well done people.

:emptyquote:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Ive got two weeks to go before I start my new gig with a different section of the department, so my current section are trying to get every single bit of work out of me before I go.

Spent half a day yesterday in a 39 degree shed working on this:

Because someone didnt install the belly plate bolts properly/at all and the plate opened up and allowed this to happen...

Nothing like installing a 2" diameter stick through the side of the fuel tank an inch from the bottom!

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
There's not a single Toyota 86 / GT86 in the country for me to test drive at a toyota dealership what the gently caress

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

slurry_curry posted:

They were both pretty nice cars, but my '04 Lexus LS430 drives nicer than both of them, despite have 130k miles on it.

Never been thrilled by a Lexus. Seems like parts prices are... high. But a 2010+ LS460 seems doable. Really I just want my junker 633CSi back that my wife convinced me to donate a decade ago.

Since we're on career chat, I'm exactly a month into my staff SRE job. I was "senior SRE" at my last job, and got passed over for staff a few times. They were shocked (SHOCKED!) when I gave notice. I don't know what I'm doing yet, that's for sure. I have a meeting with the VP on Monday so I'll find out soon enough if I can sing the song of his people when under pressure.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

AnnoyBot posted:

Never been thrilled by a Lexus.

That's part of the magic. They don't stick out. They don't increase your heart rate when you see them, or when you first drive them. But then, over time, you notice that they do everything well. Not perfectly, but really, really well. And there are no compromises. And the lack of compromises is what grows on you, as you have a car that does everything you want it to, without wanting anything other than basic maintenance.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

It looks like I have a new neighbor who lives two subdivisions up the road/hill from me.

Blob eye STi in blue, bumper mounted wing that sits above the roof line, wide fender flares (follow the body line, so definitely made for a WRX) and the GNARLIEST deceleration tune I have ever heard in my life on an EJ.

He makes second gear pulls past my house every evening going home and when he gets off, it's gunshots every half second until he's just above idle.
:iia:

I love living here and Versatuner needs to hurry up and put their RX-8 software back on sale so I can start competing with him for loudest deceleration snap, crackle and pops.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

meatpimp posted:

That's part of the magic. They don't stick out. They don't increase your heart rate when you see them, or when you first drive them. But then, over time, you notice that they do everything well. Not perfectly, but really, really well. And there are no compromises. And the lack of compromises is what grows on you, as you have a car that does everything you want it to, without wanting anything other than basic maintenance.

The relentless pursuit of perfection

Could you tell me what if anything you remember of your 400 trunk struts looking like. Because I think my Majesta is stretched wheelbase and they go into the body and I don’t even

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My trip to Poland got a little more interesting; I need to make my way down to southern Spain by the 21st to meet up with a second ship in the strait of Gibraltar. Unclear whether the ship will be berthing, or sitting at anchor for a couple days. So hooray, I get to gently caress around in unpopular parts of Europe for a week!

Also I just learned today that International Drivers Permits were a thing, so I guess I need to stop by my local AAA office tomorrow.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

My trip to Poland got a little more interesting; I need to make my way down to southern Spain by the 21st to meet up with a second ship in the strait of Gibraltar. Unclear whether the ship will be berthing, or sitting at anchor for a couple days. So hooray, I get to gently caress around in unpopular parts of Europe for a week!

Also I just learned today that International Drivers Permits were a thing, so I guess I need to stop by my local AAA office tomorrow.

There is nothing boring about southern Spain, what city / town will you be in? You can bus in Spain easily other places if you are not in a good spot for cheap. Make a go of it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

everdave posted:

There is nothing boring about southern Spain, what city / town will you be in? You can bus in Spain easily other places if you are not in a good spot for cheap. Make a go of it.

Algeciras. I honestly found out this morning and haven't spent any time researching the region. What's the best airport to fly into, Gibraltar? Or is that going to be a pain in the rear end, what with it being a British Overseas Territory? What's your favorite rental car company? I don't see any Sixt offices down there.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Algeciras. I honestly found out this morning and haven't spent any time researching the region. What's the best airport to fly into, Gibraltar? Or is that going to be a pain in the rear end, what with it being a British Overseas Territory? What's your favorite rental car company? I don't see any Sixt offices down there.

I have never rented a car in Spain only trains and buses so can’t help there. Was going to recommend Faro in Portugal but it’s quite a ways from your location. You will be at the bottom of Spain I’ll look a few minutes. Unless you hate sun and beach and drinks I’d be thanking my lucky stars hell the bus to Faro is like less than $50 for 350 miles I would t do that but a bus to somewhere else is going to be cheap and clean

Edit yeah get the f out of That location while you wait I’ll look up buses lonely planet says it’s horrible. Morocco is close I wouldn’t go there but that’s me after beheadings. Seville is not too bad I check on bus.

Edit 2: fly to Malaga if you can and then train or bus night before.

everdave fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 12, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

My wife just upgraded from her 430 to a 460, it's a 2011, the thing is immaculate and still smells new.

That's another thing about Lexus is most owners tend to take REALLY good care of them. This one was pampered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

everdave posted:

I have never rented a car in Spain only trains and buses so can’t help there. Was going to recommend Faro in Portugal but it’s quite a ways from your location. You will be at the bottom of Spain I’ll look a few minutes. Unless you hate sun and beach and drinks I’d be thanking my lucky stars hell the bus to Faro is like less than $50 for 350 miles I would t do that but a bus to somewhere else is going to be cheap and clean

Edit yeah get the f out of That location while you wait I’ll look up buses lonely planet says it’s horrible. Morocco is close I wouldn’t go there but that’s me after beheadings. Seville is not too bad I check on bus.

Edit 2: fly to Malaga if you can and then train or bus night before.

Thanks! Malaga looks like a good bet, and tickets back to New York are pretty cheap. I'm going to rent a car; the tools and equipment I'll be carrying are too annoying to lug around on a train. It looks like Enterprise has an office at the Malaga airport. I'm excited to try driving a SEAT!