Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

the wizards beard posted:

pretty much all model 1s will have leaking capacitors by now and will need repair work

Well, capacitors that leak are a specific problem with a generation of capacitors that are very specific to certain videogame items, such as the PC Engine Duo in Japan and TurboDuo in the US. 99.9% of capacitors in the history of capacitors don't leak like the PCE and TurboDuo ones, they dry out, over time regardless of usage. Leaking capacitors are a much bigger problem than ones that dry out, because the leaks cause corrosion and damage to the PCBs and chips they leak onto.

As far as I know the Sega CD (model 1 and 2) did not have a problem with leaking capacitors nor does it have a problem with them drying out to categorize them as "pretty much all".

What they have a serious problem with is the rubber door belt drying out and breaking necessitating a replacement (which is not that hard) and lasers going bad (which can be hard to pinpoint, but not that hard to replace).

XtraSmiley fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Qix Neo is also on the Genesis as Ultimate Qix, and part of the Taito Legends collections under the original name Volfied.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Karasu Tengu posted:

Qix Neo is also on the Genesis as Ultimate Qix, and part of the Taito Legends collections under the original name Volfied.

Ah, so this is a re-release then. Makes sense as it did look like the kind of thing that could've been done on older hardware. Guess I can't blame them since this was released in 2003.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

al-azad posted:

It's a better designed game but it's really boring. Sandwiched between Goof Troop and Magical Quest, SNES Aladdin is just kind of plain and straightforward. Bonkers feels like the natural evolution from Bonkers but even that game is nearly ripped off from Konami's Buster Busts Loose.

And yet we have no A-list platformers based on the Fluppy Dogs or Wuzzles.

As a kid I wondered why Capcom never made an NES game about Gummi Bears, since the show was all about getting a power-up and bouncing off things. Later I realized that a) Gummi Bears was off the radar by the time Capcom's Disney line began and b) some copyright issues with actual gummy bears might be involved.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I took all my PS2 poo poo out of a box after many years and realized I have a bunch of games I forgot about and that I have a fairly solid collection.

I have had Silpheed for a decade and never played it. Seems like an alright little Shmup, but pales in comparison to Gradius V, which I will be booting up presently

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Nice custom Silent Hill case. Always fun to see what PAL game imports end up in the US.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

XtraSmiley posted:

As far as I know the Sega CD (model 1 and 2) did not have a problem with leaking capacitors nor does it have a problem with them drying out to categorize them as "pretty much all".

What they have a serious problem with is the rubber door belt drying out and breaking necessitating a replacement (which is not that hard) and lasers going bad (which can be hard to pinpoint, but not that hard to replace).

Model 1 Sega CD capacitors absolutely do fail and leak. I had to replace the surface mount caps on two main boards before either system would work right. In my case, the symptom was intermittent disc read issues. You're absolutely right about the belt though. The belt doesn't even have to break before it starts slipping and causing issues.

Model 2s don't have many, if any, surface mount caps and aren't as prone to fail, as far as I know.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

January 10th is Treasure Hunter G for the SNES.

I remember hearing about this game in Nintendo Power, but it was never translated due to the upcoming PS1/N64. Game seems pretty fun from what I played, and while it uses the more dated pre-rendered graphics that DKC and Mario RPG use, they don't look too bad with the light scanlights I use with the OSSC. Game is pretty fun, but I can't seem to figure out how to equip armor as it has both a toss and discard option in the menu and no equip.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Heads up for anyone who collects retro game music on vinyl. There's a good chance that Mondo is selling the Silent Hill 2 ost next week.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Those characters look a lot like SaGa Frontier characters.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Heath posted:

Those characters look a lot like SaGa Frontier characters.

I wouldn't be surprised if it the same team as the default name for the main character is Red and Blue.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

glad I beat everyone to giving a poo poo about the Sega CD since I'm obsessed with FMV trash tbh :colbert:

I have gotten an exceptionally trashy FMV game the other day that was unreleased outside of Japan. I want to make some actual progress in it before I post about it though since it promises to have some really "amazing" effects. If I find the time before classes start getting too heavy on me again I'll try to do a nice post about it.

Quiet Feet posted:

Hey guess what? Today were gonna talk about Qix Neo!

After wavering for a while, I think I like the original Qix better than Neo, though Neo is pretty far from bad. I just like the simplistic geometric beauty of the classic arcade game.

Quiet Feet posted:

Ah, so this is a re-release then. Makes sense as it did look like the kind of thing that could've been done on older hardware. Guess I can't blame them since this was released in 2003.

That release was originally part of the Simple series which Taito was working with at the time (I suspect that they had partial ownership of the brand even if they didn't solely release Taito games), so it was a cheap budget release in Japan. There's actually a few original Qix games in the Simple series, too.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Late to Sega CD chat but if you have one get The Terminator game, a decent game with amazing music 🤘🏽🤘🏽

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Ok, so everyone knows you can rotate the logo on the PS2 90 degrees so it's the right way up when it's in the vertical stand, but I swear you could rotate the buttons (power and reset) as well. Am I going crazy, I can't find anything on it on the internet.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

You are, only the pin rotates.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

XtraSmiley posted:

Well, capacitors that leak are a specific problem with a generation of capacitors that are very specific to certain videogame items, such as the PC Engine Duo in Japan and TurboDuo in the US. 99.9% of capacitors in the history of capacitors don't leak like the PCE and TurboDuo ones, they dry out, over time regardless of usage. Leaking capacitors are a much bigger problem than ones that dry out, because the leaks cause corrosion and damage to the PCBs and chips they leak onto.

The model 1 absolutely does have known capacitor issues, it's a common fault. Leaking capacitors causing corrosion of PCB tracks seems to have become more common in the past couple of years (https://twitter.com/Mobiusstriptech/status/1073590590896508928 not my account, just one example).

Model 1s that have never been worked on should be examined for corrosion, much like the Amiga 600, some Gamegears and that version of the OG Xbox. I'm sure there are lots of units that are still working but it's very likely that they are oozing away and won't last for ever without intervention

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 11, 2019

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008
Welp, just won an auction for a broken Model 2 CD unit. $60, powers on, discs spin but don’t read. Here’s hoping a lens cleaning or replacement does the trick.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rirse posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it the same team as the default name for the main character is Red and Blue.

It's not the same team (it's actually developed by Sting who went on to do Evolution on the DC and a bunch of Atlus-published RPGs like Baroque and Yggdra Union) but fun fact the producer was Shinji Hashimoto who co-created Kingdom Hearts with Nomura

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

dishwasherlove posted:

Nice custom Silent Hill case. Always fun to see what PAL game imports end up in the US.

It's a US copy, it's just disc only. I got a complete copy later, but the disc one is a former rental and, while it works, is so banged up that I was never going to get rid of it so I just kept it and made a case for it.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Tryke posted:

Welp, just won an auction for a broken Model 2 CD unit. $60, powers on, discs spin but don’t read. Here’s hoping a lens cleaning or replacement does the trick.

After multiple tries, I’ve given up on Sega CDs. It’s the one console I just emulate. Maybe one day I can buy an good condition Model 1 from a trusted seller that reliably plays burned discs, but until then...

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Just spend the money and get a CDX, they're amazing.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
if you know what you're getting in to and still want a Sega cd, it's worth it. I can't imagine buying one and then finding out you hate bad fmv games afterwards. I lucked in to getting my segacd for free but I would happily pay for a cdx if this one went bad. a life without wirehead just isn't worth living

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

the wizards beard posted:

The model 1 absolutely does have known capacitor issues, it's a common fault. Leaking capacitors causing corrosion of PCB tracks seems to have become more common in the past couple of years (https://twitter.com/Mobiusstriptech/status/1073590590896508928 not my account, just one example).

Model 1s that have never been worked on should be examined for corrosion, much like the Amiga 600, some Gamegears and that version of the OG Xbox. I'm sure there are lots of units that are still working but it's very likely that they are oozing away and won't last for ever without intervention

Well, I stand corrected then! Thanks for the reply.

I looked around too and yes, there seems to be a few examples of this, but it doesn't seem to be widespread like the NEC stuff, which is 100% guaranteed to be a problem. I even sent a Turbo Express that was so bad to Monitor Burn and he was only able to repair it about 95% (brightness wheel still is wonky) due to the corrosion.

Based on Mobiussstrip's message, I guess I'll default to saying, yeah, check your caps, but from what I've seen, most of the time (in the past) it's been the belt, laser, and occasionally a fuse that has caused the Sega CD model 1 to be in-op, not a cap issue.

That being said, I guess if you have it open, just recap it anyway?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Heath posted:

Just spend the money and get a CDX, they're amazing.

just go all the way with it and get an x'eye

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Qix rules. I have a mini-collection of these PS1 arcade revivals going and I'd been hoping to come across a copy of this version in my irl hunting. But knowing it's this cheap online (and sealed) I guess I'll do an eBay.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

just go all the way with it and get an x'eye

But it's 4x bigger. Seriously though does a us xeye actually have and advantages ober a cdx?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

falz posted:

But it's 4x bigger. Seriously though does a us xeye actually have and advantages ober a cdx?

Karaoke and a square cart slot that makes for easier insertions of Japanese Mega Drive games.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

falz posted:

coolness factor, which is the most important factor in buying retro game stuff

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord
The X'Eye also uses the Mega CD BIOS music which is the correct music

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
All this sega cd talk is making me want to fix my model 1. It’s been sitting around for ages cuz I have a model 2 that works perfectly, but it’d be cool to have both.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I got a CDX and it has some issues. Really noisy :rgb: and it has a little trouble reading discs. They're not known for leaks, but mine could absolutely use a re-capping. Audio still sounds pretty good though.

Oddly enough, the Nomad beats all of my other Genesiseses in the audio/visual and :rgb: department.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
*removed*

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 20, 2021

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
In the long run, any electronics you have and use, they're going to be best off getting nice modern high quality capacitors put in at some point. And realistically any other basic electronic component that can be replaced should be replaced.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Since I had to work today before doing my 30 minute game for the Genesis, what a game I should try out that not oblivious.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I realize I may have a Genesis obsession. Upon further count I have:

* 2 non-TMSS model 1
* 2 other model 1
* 3 model 2 Genesis w/ half motherboard
* 1 model 1 CD
* 2 model 2 CD, one of which doesn't work but I've had it since the 90s so don't want to she'd
* 2x nomad, one is complete from Toys R Us firesale for $50, other works but is missing d-pad

And like 5 master systems, a few in box. This is after selling a few Genesis bundles with 20ish crap sports titles last year.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I have and play on the X’Eye mostly and a Model 1 VA6 for when the eventual Sega CD ODE will materialize and I’m banking it will interface with the side cart slot just in case.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fishmech posted:

In the long run, any electronics you have and use, they're going to be best off getting nice modern high quality capacitors put in at some point. And realistically any other basic electronic component that can be replaced should be replaced.

The Ship of Theseus thought experiment but for retro consoles

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Wish the Saturn ODE wasn't so expensive and a pain to get, I'd be all about that. Maybe at some point. Burned discs are fine for now.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Echophonic posted:

Wish the Saturn ODE wasn't so expensive and a pain to get, I'd be all about that. Maybe at some point. Burned discs are fine for now.

There's a better one on the way. Look for the Satiator by Professor Abrasive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

azurite posted:

There's a better one on the way. Look for the Satiator by Professor Abrasive.

I remember seeing a video about that VCD thing ages ago, nice that it'll be available at some point this year. I'll have to keep an eye out! I just liked the Phoebe/Rhea because Pseudo Saturn has an interaction with them now.