Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
One thing I need to think about a bit more as I shop is that if I buy a Golf R I also need to plan on replacing the clutch. One of the more popular options looks to be about $1500 or so for parts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Voltage posted:

I love my Si but for the R I just cannot justify spending 35k+ on a civic, and it looks insane. If they came out with a subdued coupe R, I would consider upgrading, but the current hatch is just too over the top.

I feel like Honda could sell a ton if they were to offer a "Type R Stealth Edition" that kept all the go-fast bits but had Si wheels and aero. Something that could still be hooned but didn't look like it belonged on the cover of a Need For Speed Underground game.

On that note I'm also surprised there's not a Si hatch.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

wolrah posted:

I feel like Honda could sell a ton if they were to offer a "Type R Stealth Edition" that kept all the go-fast bits but had Si wheels and aero. Something that could still be hooned but didn't look like it belonged on the cover of a Need For Speed Underground game.

That would basically be the SiR that people want, but Honda isn't having an issue selling them so I don't think it'll happen. I would want a Si hatch also, but it would be a hard overlap with the Sport which is basically a Si hatch minus the brakes, dampers, LSD, and Si styling bits for about the same price as the Si coupe.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fknlo posted:

One thing I need to think about a bit more as I shop is that if I buy a Golf R I also need to plan on replacing the clutch. One of the more popular options looks to be about $1500 or so for parts...

This is the case for mk7 gtis too I think. :( (Right?)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

This is the case for mk7 gtis too I think. :( (Right?)

Yup! If you tune one you're going to have to replace the clutch. They're just enough to handle stock power and that's it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’ve got 20k on my stock mk7 clutch with a JB1. I don’t stomp on it in 1st or anything though. I imagine it’ll have less life but it’s not as if the clutch immediately starts to slip.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It is a matter of time, my son

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wolrah posted:

If you get it in a dark color it's less of a visual riot.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
My only experience with the Type R is going to a dealership to test drive it, and they refused to let me to do so because they treated like a Porsche or something. It's just a quick Honda man, chill out

Not to mention that it had a 11K markup on it, I can't believe people would actually pay close to 45K for a loving Type R

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Midjack posted:

To me this would look much better without the red lines on the wheels and sans the rear spoiler. Err the one spoiler that's on top of the other one.
Does look a lot better in that color than normal though.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

KakerMix posted:

To me this would look much better without the red lines on the wheels and sans the rear spoiler. Err the one spoiler that's on top of the other one.
Does look a lot better in that color than normal though.

Yeah, it's so much better in the darker colors because all of the plastic bits/spoilers/lips/side skirts/grills/eyelids/etc are either glossy black or unpainted plastic.

Definitely would remove the red pin-striping along every edge day 1 of ownership as well, yikes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

dk2m posted:

My only experience with the Type R is going to a dealership to test drive it, and they refused to let me to do so because they treated like a Porsche or something. It's just a quick Honda man, chill out

Except you can totally test drive a Porsche, or pretty much any luxury car you loving well want, within reason.

The way some dealers/brands treat their high-end cars like some sort of priceless work of art really burns my rear end. Get over it, it's a car. It's not made with some irreplaceable rare artifacts, it's produced of a bunch of parts made in some factory just like every other car, and it's essentially trivial to produce more if that's something you want to do.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
At some point when someone won't let me test drive their "halo" car I'm gonna pick a random truck or SUV off the lot that costs double what it does, get the keys, and then make them justify the difference. I haven't had that issue yet though.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

fknlo posted:

At some point when someone won't let me test drive their "halo" car I'm gonna pick a random truck or SUV off the lot that costs double what it does, get the keys, and then make them justify the difference. I haven't had that issue yet though.

Sometimes I don't think it's quite so much about the price of the car as much as the exclusivity/rareness. For instance when the FoRS first came out, it was the absolute hype of the entire automotive industry from all the reviews/top gear/etc that gave it glowing reviews and many of the dealerships around me either got none of them or single digit allotment's of them. They probably had a 25+ people a day coming in at first to ask to test drive one with absolutely no real intentions of purchasing it, so you'd be putting hundreds of miles on the car then trying to turn around and sell it as brand new(and usually with a bullshit ADM) to the first real buyer. If I was in the market for a new FoRS and was shopping around, I definitely wouldn't be buying the one with hundreds of test drive miles. Sure, it's stupid to not be able to test drive them but IMO that's more on the car company making these thing's artificially exclusive vs the actual dealerships, my hatred towards them is moreso when it comes to the bullshit ADM's. A lot of those same dealerships still have multiple 2016/17 FoRS's sitting on their lot for those exact same reasons depreciating day by day.

Same thing could be said about the Type R, etc. When it comes to those trucks/SUV's worth twice the price as you mentioned, they probably have 25 of them sitting on the lot so who cares if you test drive it.

Why don't they just make more of these drat cars if they are in such "high demand"?

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Voltage posted:

I love my Si but for the R I just cannot justify spending 35k+ on a civic, and it looks insane. If they came out with a subdued coupe R, I would consider upgrading, but the current hatch is just too over the top.

Well everyone in the Honda “community” wanted a type-r badly and this is what we got. Extremely capable machine though.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I just wanted a new RSX-S :smithfrog:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Leftover 2018 6-speed GTI SE: $25,092 + $699 processing fee + $895 freight + taxes + tag and title fee at one of the VA/MD dealers.

How much room is there in that? Processing fee/freight?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Frieght is usually part of MSRP so unless they're charging twice for it you can't get rid of it. You may be able to get rid of the processing' fee with a fight but they'll probably be really stubborn about it because of the discount you're already getting.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Midjack posted:

I like everything from the beltline up, from the C-pillar forward. The rest...back to the drawing board.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

Leftover 2018 6-speed GTI SE: $25,092 + $699 processing fee + $895 freight + taxes + tag and title fee at one of the VA/MD dealers.

How much room is there in that? Processing fee/freight?

destination and delivery - what you've listed as freight - is not going to be negotiable.

TheWevel posted:

Frieght is usually part of MSRP so unless they're charging twice for it you can't get rid of it. You may be able to get rid of the processing' fee with a fight but they'll probably be really stubborn about it because of the discount you're already getting.

Destination charges are, I believe legally, a separate line on the Monroney coming after MSRP including options.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I would totally buy the Type R in white (which is the correct colour, yellow would also be acceptable but I don't think it's available this model) and pair it with a Leaf or something if the property market here wasn't so insane.

As far as I'm concerned it's so ridiculous that it wraps back around to awesome and the pricing is pretty good in this part of the world - like $500 more than VW is asking for a GTI (which is obviously bullshit as Honda posts actual prices and VW gives deep discounts but even factoring that in its fairly impressive)

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Well I'm pulling the trigger on the si. Going with a tonic yellow coupe, just have to see when one will arrive.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

destination and delivery - what you've listed as freight - is not going to be negotiable.

Destination charges are, I believe legally, a separate line on the Monroney coming after MSRP including options.

Welp, that price isn't valid unless you use their lovely financing... 2k more otherwise.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I must have angered the VW electrical gods because my second fob isn’t doing anything. Battery is good because I can swap it to my primary fob and it works fine. Unlocks the car manually and can start the car if you hold it directly to the steering column, but won’t respond to any button presses. :suicide:

In other news, the shipping company delivered my car ridiculously early so I was scrambling to find some snow tires/wheels. The best option was an 18” set an hour and a half away, so I bought those. Couldn’t drive the GTI on PSS in the snow so didn’t want to chance getting a 17” wheel that wouldn’t clear on the PP brakes.

Not sure who decides to put 245/40s on as their snow tire setup, but here we are. Once I chew through these I’ll go to 225/45 or 50, pretty sure it’ll fit fine on an 8” wheel.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Took the Golf R out for a test drive today and loving hell it has some go to it

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

dk2m posted:

Not to mention that it had a 11K markup on it, I can't believe people would actually pay close to 45K for a loving Type R

Yeah i couldn't get a test drive an R at 5 Honda dealers but walked in to a Porsche and chevy dealer the same day and drove a ZL1 and 911 no questions asked :shrug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Welp, that price isn't valid unless you use their lovely financing... 2k more otherwise.

take their financing and pay it off immediately, then?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

take their financing and pay it off immediately, then?

Wouldn't at all be surprised if they have early payment penalties to make sure they milk every last bit of their financing commission.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Usually that poo poo is only if you pay it off sooner than the first 3mo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

Wouldn't at all be surprised if they have early payment penalties to make sure they milk every last bit of their financing commission.

prepayment penalties are very rare

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Before wrecking my GTI I was going to buy the lease out after 5 or 6 months. I had to wait that long to keep all the discounts I'd gotten.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

M&T had a special deal for home equity lines of credit where if you took out at least $60k, it was at some stupid low interest rate (2% I think). I was thinking about using it to finance a used car and I asked "What's stopping me from taking out $60k and immediately paying back half of it," and the loan officer was like "Absolutely nothing. People do it all the time"

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Somehow I thought I was running 8” wheels on a 40 offset already, but looking back at my TireRack order I’m on a 45 offset. My new wheels are 18x8” on a 40 offset so I’m now hellaflush on 245 snow tires. Didn’t get any rubbing but I’ll keep an eye out for some slightly less pokey wheels now that I don’t have a massive need to get the PSS off.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Have started ordering some mods for my FiST, starting with Peron Stage 1+ with their intake and high flow intake hose; Airtec intercooler; GFB DV+; short shifter; and magnetic sump plug so I can keep an eye on the oil (wish they had one for the trans).

I’ve got some wheels lined up too when the current owner of them finds replacements, some Team Dynamics Race 1.2s in bronze, 17x7.5 + 38 offset IIRC.

After that I think an LSD will be the next sensible mod, before a high flow cat which will enable an free upgrade to the Stage 2 tune...

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

MrOnBicycle posted:

I didn’t get hit with any penalties.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Etrips posted:

I didn’t get hit with any penalties.

So is the game with these VA/MD dealers to buy the car at the low price, agree to their lovely financing, and pay it off immediately? Could I do it the next day?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Residency Evil posted:

So is the game with these VA/MD dealers to buy the car at the low price, agree to their lovely financing, and pay it off immediately? Could I do it the next day?

That is essentially what I did, so yea.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’ve financed 3 cars and done exactly that. I think the dealer doesn’t get their kickback if the loan doesn’t stay open for at least a period of time (30-90 days maybe) so I wouldn’t mention your plan to the dealer.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’ve financed 3 cars and done exactly that. I think the dealer doesn’t get their kickback if the loan doesn’t stay open for at least a period of time (30-90 days maybe) so I wouldn’t mention your plan to the dealer.

You can always just phrase it differently and get the right answer. "I plan on paying more than the monthly payment to lower the amount of time until I pay off the car, what is the minimum amount of time required so that I would not incur any early payment penalties."

Could be the next day, 30 days, 60 days, 180 days etc. Most financing places shouldn't really care but with shittier/shadier dealerships and financing companies, the penalties definitely do exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

100% Dundee posted:

You can always just phrase it differently and get the right answer. "I plan on paying more than the monthly payment to lower the amount of time until I pay off the car, what is the minimum amount of time required so that I would not incur any early payment penalties."

Could be the next day, 30 days, 60 days, 180 days etc. Most financing places shouldn't really care but with shittier/shadier dealerships and financing companies, the penalties definitely do exist.

I just wouldn’t mention it at all. 60 months, sounds good, wait a couple days for the loan to finalize, pay it off. Ez pz.