Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kyrosiris posted:

Sweetheart adamantly refuses to wear a collar, but she's also pretty talkative, so it's not as much of an issue with regards to "oh god, sudden catte".

She also has zero interest in wearing a harness for going outside, which is annoying because she also loves to stare at the outside or try to slip past when I come in the front door after work. "We would go outside if you would just put on the harness!" doesn't seem to register for her. :v:

rear end in a top hat originally hated his collar but now if he manages to get it off he will sit still and let it go back on.

Bean isn't a fan of hers but she doesn't do anything about it. She has no fight or flight and instead just plops down and mreows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Len posted:

rear end in a top hat originally hated his collar but now if he manages to get it off he will sit still and let it go back on.

Bean isn't a fan of hers but she doesn't do anything about it. She has no fight or flight and instead just plops down and mreows

Yeah, Sweetheart figured out how to get hers off by hooking it on the corner-mounted self-brushing thing we got her and tugging. :sigh: Once she got it off a couple of times the girlfriend and I just gave up on it.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
So glad to hear Jackie's ok! I didn't have PTSD, but after leaving my girlfriend of like eight years it was just me and my fluffball and I was actually really hesitant to bring permanent people and other cats into my life. I didn't want people to get in the way of our bond. Turns out humans are more complicated but more rewarding and, after like six years, I'm now happily married and punkin has rex to torment her and give her exercise.

I just mean to say that, now that you've proven to yourself that you can bond with other creatures and that you crave that bond, look for it in other places. Jackie can't be replaced but try to use your relationship with her as a stepping stone for becoming more dependent or vulnerable or comfortable with people. Now that you've proven to yourself that you can care for things with emotions and effort and money, you'll find that a judicious selection of humans will satisfy you in unique ways and, as a benefits, they have similar life spans to ours.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

So Roswell has what appears to be a bad case of the hiccups. Or maybe it's a cough. Or a gag. I don't know, but she also hasn't eaten much today. Do cats even get the hiccups? She has a vet appointment on Friday, but if she's not better in the morning I'm going to see if I can't get her seen tomorrow.

This cat is going to drive me into an insane asylum or the poorhouse, possibly both.

I love her so much.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cats get hiccups for the same reasons humans do. But as you noticed, it could be a cough. Keep an eye on it.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

She just had a big liquidy puke (on the tile! thank ye gods!) so I'm thinking it was little horks, not hiccups. We'll see how she does with her breakfast.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

ILL Machina posted:

So glad to hear Jackie's ok! I didn't have PTSD, but after leaving my girlfriend of like eight years it was just me and my fluffball and I was actually really hesitant to bring permanent people and other cats into my life. I didn't want people to get in the way of our bond. Turns out humans are more complicated but more rewarding and, after like six years, I'm now happily married and punkin has rex to torment her and give her exercise.

I just mean to say that, now that you've proven to yourself that you can bond with other creatures and that you crave that bond, look for it in other places. Jackie can't be replaced but try to use your relationship with her as a stepping stone for becoming more dependent or vulnerable or comfortable with people. Now that you've proven to yourself that you can care for things with emotions and effort and money, you'll find that a judicious selection of humans will satisfy you in unique ways and, as a benefits, they have similar life spans to ours.

Thanks man :unsmith:

To be honest, I really am doing quite a bit better, and what you're describing - being able to actually have real, human, adult relationships again - is something that I'm honestly capable of again. I live with people again, I go out and do things, I have fun, I smile, I work, I play. It's a far cry from where I was as recently as 18 months ago. It surprises even me, though it shouldn't. For most of us who had prolonged trauma in our childhood that we coped with through a combination of disassociation and denial as long as we could, there's usually this two-pronged onset of substance abuse and mental illness that takes down a really terrifying number of people. It's sobering to think that I'm one of the lucky ones, because I've had real support from my family and (quite frankly) I've made it through to the other end without dying, or ending up in a prison/mental institution of one kind or another. Statistically speaking, that's where I should be.

And even though it sounds melodramatic to say so, if it weren't for Jackie I probably would have wound up in a place like that. I don't think I'd have honestly made it through to the other end without her, and it's funny because I still remember how against the idea of adopting her from my parents initially. My entire life had just blown up, and I'd lost my job and basically had to cut myself off from all my friends - I could not have felt lower than I did. I made my dad PROMISE me that he would take Jackie back if things didn't work out. I was so, so hesitant. I felt like I was doing my dad and Jackie this HUGE favor.

And then of course, 2 months later I was making my dad PROMISE me that he would never take Jackie back from me if he started to miss her, and I already could hardly imagine my life without her around. It's almost cliche to point out how incredibly helpful and beneficial pets are to people who are extremely lonely, and/or going through especially challenging times in life. Their ability to impart uncomplicated, unconditional love is frankly amazing..

So anyway, yeah I'm kinda in love with my cat. What of it? :colbert:

And for the obnoxiously long posts, here's some cat tax:

We made a little bed for Jackie in front of our big heating unit in our apartment (it's offscreen in this pic) complete with a pillow (she uses them as you can see) and my roomies apparently put this blanket on her and took this pic.

She really looks so freaking happy here. A squinty kitty-face like that with both eyes squeezed shut can only mean happiness I'm pretty sure :3:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Wroughtirony posted:

She just had a big liquidy puke (on the tile! thank ye gods!)

Lucky. Over half my house is hardwood floor or tile, and the cats all pick the carpeted sections to puke on. :argh:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Are there any wet cat foods that come in a huge package? Like a large resealable tub kept in the fridge kinda thing? Now that we have 3 cats mostly eating wet food the number of cans we are going through is kinda nuts and it'd be better to just fill up 3 bowls. Freeze dried is crazy expensive (and we buy Avoderm wet food which ain't cheap) and seems more like a snack.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In australia, there's usually pet mince in bulk in the cold sections?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Wellness comes in 12.5oz cans, and IIRC you save a pretty good amount over the 6oz cans.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Blue Buffalo's FREEDOM comes in a 12.x oz can, also. Wellness or Blue are the only that I've seen like that.

24x5.5oz is like $31 and the 12x12.5oz is like $26 on Chewy. So you get 18 more oz of food for $5 less.

owls or something fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 15, 2019

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

kaworu posted:

So anyway, yeah I'm kinda in love with my cat. What of it? :colbert:

She really looks so freaking happy here. A squinty kitty-face like that with both eyes squeezed shut can only mean happiness I'm pretty sure :3:

For what it's worth, I remember the beginning of this saga and how distraught you were in the face of the options for Jackie's. Glad to hear it turned out about as ideally as possible.

That's the slow blink into squint face. It indicates trust and comfort and, dare I say, the closest thing cats can come to love.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Roswell report: Ate her breakfast and has stopped hiccuping/gagging. My whole life consists of either cajoling a cat to eat her food or scolding a cat for eating something that is not her food.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wroughtirony posted:

Roswell report: Ate her breakfast and has stopped hiccuping/gagging. My whole life consists of either cajoling a cat to eat her food or scolding a cat for eating something that is not her food.

I think that's this entire thread.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

We are getting places.

While putting away laundry and came back to this.

I think they’re going to be cuddling sooner or later. Feeding is another issue though. Marie seems to be into grazing and sancho is following along with her now. He still eats his wet food right on time but morning dry food is now all day and night long dry food. I don’t know how they make 3/8ths of a cup last so long.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Date for the sterilization has been set. Next Wednesday. The form I got also asked if I want to get some bloodwork done for the cats for an extra fee.
They are 6 months old. Is it a good idea?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Sefal posted:

Date for the sterilization has been set. Next Wednesday. The form I got also asked if I want to get some bloodwork done for the cats for an extra fee.
They are 6 months old. Is it a good idea?

Have you taken them to the vet for anything else? Blood work can be a good indicator of disease and with cats you generally want to catch that stuff as soon as possible. I think it would be a good idea, unless they have been to a vet already and they agree they are in good health.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I got them checked up vaccinated and chipped at this vet. They did say they are in good health. but no bloodwork was taken.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm just checking if anyone has a preferred home remedy for cleaning white pet fur.

I have a pure white short haired young cat and for the most part she does a good enough job keeping her fur clean, the exception being the parts she can't reach to lick - mainly around her forehead and the back of the neck.

I tried to give her a bath once and both of us almost died in the process, so I'm looking for more of a spot treatment method.

I've seen mention of trying to make a paste from corn starch and peroxide and rubbing that in, but I'm a bit hesitant about putting anything too abrasive close to her eyes.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 16, 2019

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.chewy.com/burts-bees-waterless-shampoo-cats-10/dp/121651

I use waterless shampoo on my guys. Much less clawing and trauma.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Sefal posted:

I got them checked up vaccinated and chipped at this vet. They did say they are in good health. but no bloodwork was taken.

My first thought was that it makes it much easier to get insurance coverage and claim approvals if you have stuff like that to keep the insurance company from denying for preexisting conditions.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

For my cat's face I use a warm damp facetowel to rub. He hates it but will put up with the corners of his eyes being wiped.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
One of my cats wasn't feeling too well and we took him to the vet, after many blood tests and a week of waiting they called today to say that he has diabetes, so come in tomorrow, they'll do a urinalysis to confirm, and then teach us how to do the shots and blood sugar tests at home.

The vet was talking to me as if this was no big deal, but I'm quite concerned. Giving shots twice a day is quite daunting, as is the cost. I'm in Canada which I know does make me lucky that insulin costs will be lower, but does anyone have a diabetic cat in Canada and could tell me what the cost per month works out to and also just generally is it manageable? Does the insulin work 100%?

He's a thin cat so I didn't really expect diabetes to be the diagnosis, and has only really gotten thinner over time, so despite being voraciously hungry he's essentially starving. I have questions for the vet tomorrow about his prognosis since who knows really how long this has been going on, but it's quite overwhelming at the moment.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Asiina posted:

One of my cats wasn't feeling too well and we took him to the vet, after many blood tests and a week of waiting they called today to say that he has diabetes, so come in tomorrow, they'll do a urinalysis to confirm, and then teach us how to do the shots and blood sugar tests at home.

The vet was talking to me as if this was no big deal, but I'm quite concerned. Giving shots twice a day is quite daunting, as is the cost. I'm in Canada which I know does make me lucky that insulin costs will be lower, but does anyone have a diabetic cat in Canada and could tell me what the cost per month works out to and also just generally is it manageable? Does the insulin work 100%?

He's a thin cat so I didn't really expect diabetes to be the diagnosis, and has only really gotten thinner over time, so despite being voraciously hungry he's essentially starving. I have questions for the vet tomorrow about his prognosis since who knows really how long this has been going on, but it's quite overwhelming at the moment.

Damnit, I'm sorry you're having to go through this. I've had a couple diabetic cats in my life and I know it can feel a bit overwhelming. The good news is kitty diabetes is fairly easy to treat. The feline dosage of insulin is extremely small and the injections are quite easy to give since it uses a very, very small needle and just needs to be given subcutaneously. He very likely won't even notice it. You're gonna have to strictly control your kitty's diet now and if he has been a grazer when it comes to eating, you'll have to get him used to eating only twice a day. Fortunately, this is the perfect time to administer the insulin, as he'll probably be too distracted by eating for you to even notice that you're jabbing him.

I recommend also keeping a diary of his exact food and water intake, urination/defecation, insulin injections, and general state of being. You'll have to eventually do some blood glucose curves to measure and keep track of his blood sugar, and the more data you have the better you and your vet will be able to make adjustments to his diet.

The best news of all is that it's possible to send his diabetes into remission. Our kitty was diagnosed with diabetes in March last year, and by June it had gone away. We kept him on more or less a diabetic diet for the rest of his life and it never did come back. Best of luck to you and your boi!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I had a diabetic cat who learned quickly that the shots made him feel better, and also got over the condition and lived many more years after that. There's hope that this really won't be that bad.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My GF said she woke up and found one of our cats with his eye swollen shut, she's taking him to the vet today but I'm worried. I saw him walking around this morning getting ready for work and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, is it possible he just banged his head on something and got a lump? :ohdear:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

explosivo posted:

My GF said she woke up and found one of our cats with his eye swollen shut, she's taking him to the vet today but I'm worried. I saw him walking around this morning getting ready for work and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, is it possible he just banged his head on something and got a lump? :ohdear:

Could be he banged it, could be he got something in his eye, could be an infection.

Two of our cats have herpes and need occasional eye drops during flare ups because of swelling.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Two cats who are very tired.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
We gave our kidney kitty subcutaneous fluids at home with a needle that was much bigger than an insulin needle. Once you got the angle and location down it didn't seem to bother him too much. That area is mostly loose skin and not very sensitive.

Mostly he didn't like being restrained, but we were trying to get a lot of fluid into an inappetant cat. A quick injection while eating may not even get a reaction.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

No scratches on the cornea, doc thinks he might have gotten poked in the eye while fighting with our other kitty at some point. Got some eyedrops to administer for the next week or so, fortunately he's the much chiller of our two cats and probably won't put up too much of a struggle.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

explosivo posted:

I've taken cats to the vet for so many swollen eyes. It ends up being nothing. At worst they prescribe an antibiotic that you put on the eye for a few days and then poof, kitty's all better.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Sticking your finger in a cat's eye is always weird, but I've done it a bunch for my squinty girl too.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Update is that cat is definitely diabetic. The cost isn't too prohibitive except for the up front glucometer and test strips cost (test strips expensive af) which I'll be using a lot of as we set the dosage, but then hopefully will taper down once it's controlled.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
'sup

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Our little feller has had pretty red gums ever since he was a wee kitten, and the vet told us we would have to start brushing his teeth.

We were pretty reluctent to start, and were hoping oral gel + dental treats would do the trick, but the vet let us know in no uncertain terms that wasnt cutting it and if we cared about the furry little fucker it was time to get brushing.

Turns out the little weirdo likes the flavor of the toothpaste so much that he gets EXCITED when we bust out the brush. He definitely doesn't like me me going to town all up in his mouth, but will forgive me as long as he gets that sweet sweet salmon flavored toothpaste.

The cats weird as gently caress, I love 'im.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I popped in here a few months ago asking for advice on feeding my cat. We used to leave lovely dry food out for him all day, which was making him chonky and the vet was worried about him becoming diabetic. So since then his diet has been this: at 8 AM I give him a 2.8oz can of Tiki cat food with about half a cup of Wellness Core dry food. At 7 PM I give him a bowl of the same dry food. The problem is he gets really hangry at around 5 PM, jumping on people and most annoyingly, chewing on everything piece of paper or plastic he can find. He does it for attention because he knows we'll scold him for it and then he can run in the direction of his food dish while looking at us. His favorite things to chew are cardboard boxes or plastic bins.

I don't think he's getting too hungry because he doesn't finish his wet food (unless it's the tuna with pumpkin flavor, that's his favorite) or his dry food at night. How do I balance his diet so that he gets his nutrition, doesn't get overweight, and isn't an annoying brat? It's 4:30 right now and he's pestering me non-stop, chewing on my knee (just my pants, not my leg, just enough to be annoying) and finding whatever paper makes the most noise to chew on, so I caved and gave him some dry food so I can work in peace. Today's the worst he's been.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

LifeLynx posted:

I popped in here a few months ago asking for advice on feeding my cat. We used to leave lovely dry food out for him all day, which was making him chonky and the vet was worried about him becoming diabetic. So since then his diet has been this: at 8 AM I give him a 2.8oz can of Tiki cat food with about half a cup of Wellness Core dry food. At 7 PM I give him a bowl of the same dry food. The problem is he gets really hangry at around 5 PM, jumping on people and most annoyingly, chewing on everything piece of paper or plastic he can find. He does it for attention because he knows we'll scold him for it and then he can run in the direction of his food dish while looking at us. His favorite things to chew are cardboard boxes or plastic bins.

I don't think he's getting too hungry because he doesn't finish his wet food (unless it's the tuna with pumpkin flavor, that's his favorite) or his dry food at night. How do I balance his diet so that he gets his nutrition, doesn't get overweight, and isn't an annoying brat? It's 4:30 right now and he's pestering me non-stop, chewing on my knee (just my pants, not my leg, just enough to be annoying) and finding whatever paper makes the most noise to chew on, so I caved and gave him some dry food so I can work in peace. Today's the worst he's been.

It'll be worse tomorrow since it was just reinforced today.

So he gets wet and dry in the morning and then more dry in the evening. That's a long time - I'd be hangry by 5pm too, especially if I was used to grazing. Is there any way to give him the morning dry food later in the day? Like noon, or early afternoon? Maybe in a food puzzle?

Another option is to get an automatic feeder. That way he will stop associating getting your attention with getting meals.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Seconded on the automatic feeder. Oliver is insanely food driven, and drives us up the wall when he's anticipating his evening wet food, with all the same kind of behavior you've described...

But he waits calmly and patiently for his three dry servings a day. He learned long ago it doesn't matter what he does, it comes out of the feeder when it comes out of the feeder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Same. I recommend feedings every 8h if they'd reasonable small and/or he's a scarfer. Tbh, a half a cup of dry shouts like a lot to me, my vet is telling me that an 1/8th a cup a day is more than enough, especially with rexs easy weight gain and proclivity for crystals, which can be exacerbated by the lack of water on the dry food.

Feed less more regularly, use more of the more-filling wet food, get a feeder to dissociate you from the feeding moment, don't feed him until his mania subsides. You can even try to train him to do a behavior like sit in a place before you feed him. If I slap the cat tree whole Rex is being a dick he'll jump up and flip there, neurotically kicking the walls of the shelf. He eventually gets a bit calmer.