Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Sephyr posted:

Alas, the search for the Mythical Chill Conservative goes ever on.

Selec schooled us on that all day yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Oh gently caress he switched to "steel slats" so the phrase will match up with the current steel slats that are there so he can post pictures like this didn't he?

And the bar is so low that that's actually the best plan he's ever come up with and executed.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

At least we finally found out how far a racist has to go to be called a racist.

I was pretty sure King could have goose stepped his way around the Capitol and the Republican response would have been "What's wrong with geese?"

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004
The Rock talking about generation snowflake is extra timely take especially since some GOP members still aren't able to take a proper dump due to the excessive clenching that occurred when Rashida Tliab called Trump a motherfucker last week.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

"Madame would you sleep with me for 5 million pounds?"

Putting the wall, a dumb thing, on the table in any fashion allows Republicans to seize the narrative back.

Exactly.

The Democrats' simple message of "Trump can open the government any time he wants" and their discipline in sticking to it has been amazing. There's really no way for the GOP to counter it at the moment.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Guze posted:

At least we finally found out how far a racist has to go to be called a racist.

I was pretty sure King could have goose stepped his way around the Capitol and the Republican response would have been "What's wrong with geese?"

Ben Shapiro wrote a "What's wrong with geese?" article, basically. Even this far wasn't enough for some people.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hey man, Ferdinand is a perfectly harmless movie. Ain't nothing wrong with picking up the occasional check for a quick voice acting job :colbert:

Anyway, Cena's also in Bumblebee which is good and he does voice work for Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which is great, so I'd say his acting career is going pretty good so far.

I skipped a few pages in this thread, I have no idea why we're discussing John Cena.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Trump’s Typos Reveal His Lack of Fitness for the Presidency
They suggest not just inadequate manners or polish, but inadequate thought.

quote:

Trump’s blindness to the basics of adult-level composition is so amply documented that it might now seem normal, which is why it’s instructive to contrast Trump with Harry Truman. He wrote to his future wife, Bess, in 1912:

Say, it sure is a grand thing that I have a high-school dictionary handy. I even had to look on the back to see how to spell the book itself. The English language so far as spelling goes was created by Satan I am sure.

Truman’s unquestioned attendance to spelling dictionary correctly contrasts neatly with Trump’s casually distributing misspellings like “agreemnet,” especially because Truman was the last American president who did not have a college degree. Truman, writing to a loved one, wanted to get the word dictionary right; Trump, writing to the entire nation, is happy with a half-dozen flubs in one terse tweet. The sheer lack of focus on Trump’s part, and by extension, the staff who should be vetting messages like this, is stunning.

One could call this critique a mere matter of formalism. However, Trump-talk is more than typos. In his actual speech, Trump presents an oddly abbreviated rendition of English, reminiscent of languages when they are dying out or compromised in some way.

For example, Trump is given to talking about “doing” things when most would choose a more specific verb. Last summer, Trump bragged of having told Britain’s Prime Minister Theresa May “how to do Brexit.” “Do” it? Like “doing” Cats, or shots? Mere do does rather gracelessly drag the statement down to the cold, hard pavement. Trump also hopes he can “do” a wall in Mexico: “That’s 13,000 miles,” he said. “Here, we actually need 1,000 because we have natural barriers. So we need 1,000. We can do a wall. We’re going to have a big, fat, beautiful door right in the middle of the wall.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/01/what-trumps-typos-reveal/579919/

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 11, 2019

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

News now reporting that Trump won’t declare a national emergency, so still no clue how this ends

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hey man, Ferdinand is a perfectly harmless movie. Ain't nothing wrong with picking up the occasional check for a quick voice acting job :colbert:

Anyway, Cena's also in Bumblebee which is good and he does voice work for Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which is great, so I'd say his acting career is going pretty good so far.

I skipped a few pages in this thread, I have no idea why we're discussing John Cena.

The rock admitted he’s a deplorable, op

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Zwabu posted:

I've seen, online, GOPers trying to play the "both sides need to compromise" game combined with "5 billion is a drop in the bucket from the budget anyway, why not just let him have this and work things out later?".

The essential principle is letting Trump and/or the GOP hold the government hostage over any particular item.

What if Trump wanted to spend 5 billion spelling out TRUMP in solid gold letters to be placed at Mar a Lago? Also a drop in the bucket. Should he be able to hold the government hostage over that? Most of us consider border wall to be equally useful or desirable as that.

Trump won a presidential election a few years ago, without the popular vote. The Democratic house won, with the popular vote, by a substantial margin much more recently which could and should be interpreted as a mandate to oppose things like the wall and Trump's immigration policy and rhetoric which were showcased by him in the election.

Unless the GOP is literally making the argument that Trump should have the power of a king, gently caress right off.

Reject this logic on its face though. Remember, THEY HAD A BILL and it had $6 billion worth of funding in it but Donnie wouldn't sign it. He's blown up every compromise deal that Congress has floated since. This is 100% about him getting what he wants, not "both sides" doing anything, so don't concede that bullshit logic to any CHUD saying "Make a deal, Dems!!"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

this is pretty precious coming from a guy who agreed with trump on the muslim ban

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

lol of course

https://twitter.com/bri_sacks/status/1083817724638310401?s=21

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

InsertPotPun posted:

Oh gently caress he switched to "steel slats" so the phrase will match up with the current steel slats that are there so he can post pictures like this didn't he?

He switched to steel slats because he is ruining the steel industry and he is trying to do some sort of weird soviet union planned economy thing to undo that.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Unless the GOP is literally making the argument that Trump should have the power of a king, gently caress right off.

They are fascists this is literally what they want

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Only the willfully ignorant could believe the president would voluntarily go to -- and be allowed to go to -- an actually dangerous, crime-ridden part of the border.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

skeleton warrior posted:

News now reporting that Trump won’t declare a national emergency, so still no clue how this ends

When it becomes clear that the GOP Senate gets wiped out and a veto override happens. I still don't get the people who have made the case that Trump was more likely to knuckle under than Mitch. Mitch at least has a connection to reality even if he's a ruthless amoral piece of poo poo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Read between the lines here. Graham doesn't give a poo poo about the wall. He's getting absolutely pounded by his constituents about the government being closed and this is the only way he can say "we have to open the government NOW or we lose" without looking like he's capitulating to the dems. They're getting scared. :getin:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FuturePastNow posted:

look forward to their quarterly report showing business is up

I haven't been to Red Lobster in ages because I'm just not a big fan of seafood, but I will go this weekend if the roads aren't too slick from wintery mix.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
reassuring

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1083811831330803712

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

CannonFodder posted:

I haven't been to Red Lobster in ages because I'm just not a big fan of seafood, but I will go this weekend if the roads aren't too slick from wintery mix.

Meh, they're still a massive corporate chain selling mediocre food. Eat local.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

he wont do poo poo but i can believe trump and a bunch of poo poo from senators/reps/etc over then emergency funding theft poo poo.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Lmao

this frog is pretty much addicted to getting stung

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1083816810884022272

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Good on GFM for telling him to pound sand.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Honestly a shutdown should bar every active legislator from ever running for or holding a federal position again. Passing a budget is like the most basic duty and it would stop the shutdown being used as a loving political tool

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

so what. is he just hoping the dems come around, because i legit don't think they will.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

CannonFodder posted:

The nearest red lobster to me closed in like 1998 and I never thought about it again and just vaguely assumed that place closed nationally until right now. Does sizzler still exist?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

skeleton warrior posted:

I'm still backing the "veto override set off by airport closures and flight groundings" horse.

Work sent another email: "we can still remain open for a few additional weeks". So frustrating that upper management is always so loving allergic to giving any level of detail to employees, no matter whether it is the private or public sector.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Honestly a shutdown should bar every active legislator from ever running for or holding a federal position again. Passing a budget is like the most basic duty and it would stop the shutdown being used as a loving political tool

This is really stupid, you realize the shutdown is not the Democrats' fault right?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

VH4Ever posted:

Reject this logic on its face though. Remember, THEY HAD A BILL and it had $6 billion worth of funding in it but Donnie wouldn't sign it. He's blown up every compromise deal that Congress has floated since. This is 100% about him getting what he wants, not "both sides" doing anything, so don't concede that bullshit logic to any CHUD saying "Make a deal, Dems!!"

also yell at them that Donnie said he's rich and has trillions and gave up his trillion making business, why doesnt he himself say a drop of his own to make the wall?

Also also why doesnt he use his amazing muscles and brain to psychic the wall bricks?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

man ted is not good at twitter.

https://twitter.com/hayesdavenport/status/1083381277900791808

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
This hot and cold national emergency poo poo really sells how big of a deal this crisis is if you ask me.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemming posted:

This is really stupid, you realize the shutdown is not the Democrats' fault right?

some countries have an entire election to replace their congress if the congress can't agree on simple things like a budget

loving foreign concept I know

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

This oped is primo wet fart. It tangentially says that King was perhaps out of line, neh, tone-deaf. Mentions Louis Farrahkahn, says they dont hate immigrants, but instead just love the law
FOH

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

I couldn’t ever be a interviewer cause I swear I’d deck this stupid sonofabitch

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1083821948814143489?s=21

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Asema posted:

some countries have an entire election to replace their congress if the congress can't agree on simple things like a budget

New elections are different from being barred from being elected ever again

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

Also also why doesnt he use his amazing muscles and brain to psychic the wall bricks?

Footage of Trump building the wall: https://youtu.be/TJ7DvYZRbdw?t=35

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Asema posted:

our very stupid system doesn't allow us to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

osker posted:

This oped is primo wet fart. It tangentially says that King was perhaps out of line, neh, tone-deaf. Mentions Louis Farrahkahn, says they dont hate immigrants, but instead just love the law
FOH

"I hate racists and Nazis, but their politics are really good"