Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to disable the “longest move streak” notification but keep the other achievement notifications? Other than breaking the streak I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've decided I want to replace my OG apple watch with a series 4. But I'm not in a hurry to do it, I'd rather wait for a sale. Is there a reliable way to be alerted to deals on products like this, or should I just comb the sales papers every week?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've decided I want to replace my OG apple watch with a series 4. But I'm not in a hurry to do it, I'd rather wait for a sale. Is there a reliable way to be alerted to deals on products like this, or should I just comb the sales papers every week?

Set a slickdeals alert.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Set a slickdeals alert.

Done. Thanks, never used slickdeals.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Im actually thinking of selling mine (Series 4 44mm). Hit me up in a Pm if you are interested.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Can any goon with WatchMaker on her/his Apple Watch check something for me?

I was after a limited edition Seiko Metal Gear V watch, but they are ridiculously expensive. So much that it would be much cheaper to buy a Apple Watch and stick the Seiko's face on it.

What I need from you guys is to check if the face works fine in the Apple.

The face is this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1t2avk3t7ojqex/seiko-g7575020-v35.watch

And this is the presentation: https://plus.google.com/109859717122519451911/posts/Q2ynEX5B5Tz

Also, any OS limitations here or it would work (or not work) with any Apple Watch series.

TIA

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It won't work because Apple are dicks

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Never heard of that app before, looks interesting.

It mentions premium removes ads. Is that on the iPhone side or does it display ads on the watch? Also, is it worth $50/yr for the premium?

I assume when the sub runs out, any special watch faces go away?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I’ve got an LTE series 4 watch and I’m thinking of picking up an android phone. I know non-cellular versions become completely useless when no longer paired to an iPhone, but what about the cellular models? Mine is pretty much used to check the current weather and the time, so not having access to some of the mirrored data from my iPhone won’t be that big of a deal.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Variable_H posted:

I’ve got an LTE series 4 watch and I’m thinking of picking up an android phone. I know non-cellular versions become completely useless when no longer paired to an iPhone, but what about the cellular models? Mine is pretty much used to check the current weather and the time, so not having access to some of the mirrored data from my iPhone won’t be that big of a deal.

I just checked my watch to make sure.

The only way I can see to load apps, do the initial configuration, activate LTE, update, etc... is with an iPhone. There are stock apps, but whether they operate independently... maybe? Definitely no app updates or even system updates, though.

You can always call Apple and ask.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Variable_H posted:

You absolutely cannot setup or use a Watch without being paired to an iPhone.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yeah, mine is set up already, was just curious if it could be used if the iPhone was replaced with something else. Oh well, thanks for the answers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You could keep an old sim-less iphone in a drawer at home to do configuration stuff. But over the course of a day a cellular watch should do okay out of range of a phone.. that's the premise behind giving it a cellular connection.

I bet battery life would suck though, keeping that radio running is gonna be a big drain.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Variable_H posted:

You could stick your old iphone in a drawer, plugged in, on wifi, and only use it to manage the watch.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Variable_H posted:

Being out of Bluetooth range or an iPhone forces the watch on cellular, which runs just fine, but will eat about 8% of your battery per hour. You 100% absolutely need an iPhone to do most of your maintenance tasks on an Apple Watch like: install apps, update to a newer WatchOS, etc.
You should not attempt to use an Apple Watch without an iPhone on you regularly, it is intentionally not designed for that.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

It won't work because Apple are dicks

That they are!

Thanks Brother.

Proteus Jones posted:

Never heard of that app before, looks interesting.

It mentions premium removes ads. Is that on the iPhone side or does it display ads on the watch? Also, is it worth $50/yr for the premium?

I assume when the sub runs out, any special watch faces go away?

I have no idea of how it works. Only know of it because of the custom watch faces.

Hi. Im Leeroy fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 15, 2019

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

e: Double post. Sorry.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Something I always find amusing... I go to the gym in the morning and get 80% of my move goal. About ten minutes after I get home, the watch says “you only need a brisk 11 minute walk to meet your goal!” Somehow I’m breaking their system because there is no way that prompt should come up then.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

smackfu posted:

Something I always find amusing... I go to the gym in the morning and get 80% of my move goal. About ten minutes after I get home, the watch says “you only need a brisk 11 minute walk to meet your goal!” Somehow I’m breaking their system because there is no way that prompt should come up then.

It almost always tells me to go on a 17-minute walk. I think it's triggered by calorie count without taking anything else into account

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think the prompt comes up when you hit 90% of your calorie goal.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

tinkerballz posted:

That they are!

Thanks Brother.

I have no idea of how it works. Only know of it because of the custom watch faces.

I think you’ll be hugely disappointed if you go in expecting that to emulate a different watch. I tried to jump through the hoops for you; I installed the app but then couldn’t figure out how to get the .watch file into it - the app doesn’t support iTunes file sharing and doesn’t show up in the share sheet when trying to “use” the .watch file from e.g. Dropbox.

Regardless of all that, the way these custom watchfaces work on Apple Watch is via Live Photo backgrounds. So you could think of it as having a picture of that watch as your wallpaper, with the actual time stamped over it in a fixed font and position that doesn’t match up with the design. No analogue display, and maybe a slight animation on wrist-raise that has no correlation to the current time.

Basically it’s all a hacky sham because Apple don’t support custom watchfaces at all.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Froist posted:

I think you’ll be hugely disappointed if you go in expecting that to emulate a different watch. I tried to jump through the hoops for you; I installed the app but then couldn’t figure out how to get the .watch file into it - the app doesn’t support iTunes file sharing and doesn’t show up in the share sheet when trying to “use” the .watch file from e.g. Dropbox.

Regardless of all that, the way these custom watchfaces work on Apple Watch is via Live Photo backgrounds. So you could think of it as having a picture of that watch as your wallpaper, with the actual time stamped over it in a fixed font and position that doesn’t match up with the design. No analogue display, and maybe a slight animation on wrist-raise that has no correlation to the current time.

Basically it’s all a hacky sham because Apple don’t support custom watchfaces at all.

Oh. : (

Thank you very much for your reply and for what you went through.

I owe you one brother.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

You could keep an old sim-less iphone in a drawer at home to do configuration stuff. But over the course of a day a cellular watch should do okay out of range of a phone.. that's the premise behind giving it a cellular connection.

I bet battery life would suck though, keeping that radio running is gonna be a big drain.

I actually went 3 weeks with just using my work phone and my cellular Apple Watch (sold my iPhone, waited for new one to be available), and battery drain was maybe 10% more per day.

The issue is actually that the cellular plan for the watch would almost definitely have to be removed on whatever Carrier plan. All the carriers have to link the watch number to whatever iPhone it’s linking to, and if you change to an android phone the system will insist in some way to remove the watch (or not work until you do) because the system will see the watch isn’t compatible with whatever android phone.

Short answer: Apple Watch definitely needs an iPhone.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
My watch is set to mirror my iPhones notifications. I have a group message that I have set up to not alert on my phone, but my watch is still buzzing away. Is this a common bug/feature and is there any way around it?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think it's a bug. This happens to me occasionally.

Also when I DND my watch, notifications will then start buzzing my phone even though I have it set to mirror.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

manwithoutskin posted:

My watch is set to mirror my iPhones notifications. I have a group message that I have set up to not alert on my phone, but my watch is still buzzing away. Is this a common bug/feature and is there any way around it?
I don’t think there’s much you can do. I have some phone contacts (like fundraisers) set to never ring and never vibrate, but my watch doesn’t seem to care and vibrates the whole time the call is coming in. I feel like I’ve dug through every settings page possible at this point, so I think it’s just bad.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Is it possible to have ring progress synced between two iphones? I have a personal phone and a work phone. I upgraded to a series 4. I want to use my old series 1 for calendar reminders from my work phone, but I don't want to wear two watches in order to avoid getting cheated on rings. I've turned on health in icloud on both and what happens is periodically the work phone goes "oh yeah" and copies stuff from personal phone, but it takes weeks before it appears.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

There's another update out. Someone please install it and see if it bricks your watch this time around

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004
Is there a good internet radio streaming app for the watch that can work 100% independent of the phone? The gym has wifi and I'd love me some life NPR w/o lugging £1200 around all the weights.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just got one of these things. I installed the starbucks app or it installed itself. Whatever. Anyway, I tried to pay with it but every time I reached out to scan the screen went out. Is this because I was moving my wrist? I've seen other people use the watch to pay and it was fine so I'm assuming I need to change a setting but I couldn't find one.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Don’t know about the original thing (maybe it was mirroring phone notifications and you got a proximity notification?) but to pay with the watch you press the side button twice to bring up your payment cards, then if you have multiple cards you can horizontally swipe between them.

Edit: I may have read your post wrong. Once I bring up a card, the screen stays on for at least 30 seconds, movement doesn’t affect that, and I don’t remember changing any settings regarding payments or wallet.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 23, 2019

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Clark Nova posted:

There's another update out. Someone please install it and see if it bricks your watch this time around

No bricking for me, I’m on an S4.

I was hoping this would improve some weird battery life issues, but it seems the same so far. I only get around 12 hours of use, despite not interacting with it much. I’ve tried removing all apps, restarting, and disabling background refresh, but nothing seems to improve longevity.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Have ya re-paired yet? That could help.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Maybe worth a trip to the fruit stand for that. My S2 still gets at least 24 hours.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

frogbs posted:

No bricking for me, I’m on an S4.

I was hoping this would improve some weird battery life issues, but it seems the same so far. I only get around 12 hours of use, despite not interacting with it much. I’ve tried removing all apps, restarting, and disabling background refresh, but nothing seems to improve longevity.

Seconding going to Apple. That’s definitely not normal.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Zwille posted:

Have ya re-paired yet? That could help.

That’s the one thing I haven’t tried. I think I’ll give that a shot before going to the fruit stand.

I don’t lose any data/settings with that process, right?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
It should back up your stuff before disconnecting if you do it through the watch app on the phone, and the backup should be available as a choice when setting the watch up again. Choose “set up from backup” or whatever it’s called.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Don’t know about the original thing (maybe it was mirroring phone notifications and you got a proximity notification?) but to pay with the watch you press the side button twice to bring up your payment cards, then if you have multiple cards you can horizontally swipe between them.

Edit: I may have read your post wrong. Once I bring up a card, the screen stays on for at least 30 seconds, movement doesn’t affect that, and I don’t remember changing any settings regarding payments or wallet.

You read it wrong. I'm not using apple pay, I'm using the starbucks app. Getting the bar code thing on the screen isn't the problem, it's that as soon as I tried to scan it the screen went out. This happened 5 times in a row and I finally said F it and used the phone screen.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

You read it wrong. I'm not using apple pay, I'm using the starbucks app. Getting the bar code thing on the screen isn't the problem, it's that as soon as I tried to scan it the screen went out. This happened 5 times in a row and I finally said F it and used the phone screen.
Depends on the wrist movement, like if you had to turn your wrist away it might have been interpreted as similar to the motion of turning the watch away normally, and the angles may be dependent on the original activation angle/motion. And depending how it activated (tapped, or by motion) the timeout might be different depending on settings.

Starbucks shows up in the Wallet app so that might be another option to try out? I don't use it much so can't say for sure it's for the same use you were using. Annoyingly the Apple Pay shortcut only brings up Apple Pay stuff, vs showing everything in Wallet (as it does on the iPhone).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah put the card into Wallet. I've never had an issue using my Starbucks card from the wallet on my watch.