Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Come up with a good acronym for peaches and use it for something worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1083796924879249408

:thunk:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Guze posted:

I'd love to know who convinced him the word "wall" was the issue.

Three weeks into a shutdown and he still thinks this is a branding problem. President Deals, everybody.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Guze posted:

I don’t know but it’s like the one thing he has been consistent about and it baffles me every time.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Ok. I'll play the word game

No loving money for Trump's racist peaches.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Gatts posted:

Good article. Shows and exposes the horseshit and how far to go. Not wrong in coming in and at first working with your team, I get that point, but on the other hand shows how weak and ineffective and far things have to go for the Democratic Party. Ocasio, I hope is the start. The Democrats have an opportunity for the next few decades of power with the Progressives and the young generation and they already don’t understand what they have and will miss out on. They haven’t learned.

It's a fight that has to happen. Boomers gonna be boomers and like most entrenched in power they will not go gently into that good night so they'll need a hard shove into irrelevancy. The smarter ones will weather vane their asses into line with the new zeitgeist. The party has changed significantly it's finally reached the point that the majority (slight but still a majority) of Democrats identify as liberal and I suspect that's just the beginning of a trend because people aren't surrendering the ground to the conservatives as they have for , well for all of my lifetime.

That's why I was genuinely excited by how Beto was running in Texas as an unapologetic liberal willing to push the idea that yes we should care about each other and that it makes us stronger not weaker when we have empathy and compassion. AOC nailed it when she said that our values are more important than specific policy points, that it's most important to have a vision for what we want to make society look like rather than get focusing exclusively on policy minutia.

This is forced evolution time, either elected Democrats adapt to the new environment or they are run out of office and replaced. If they truly are most representative of their districts then they have nothing to fear, however the primaries will tell the tale on who has the right answer. The level of angst that they are feeling as a result of her actions just proves that they see the future the question is simply whether or not they adapt. The left has been shut out of the political process in the United States since FDR pretty much and the conservatives and moderates have hosed poo poo up so badly that I think that a lot of people are reaching the point of "gently caress it let's see how these Liberals do it".

And the conservatives are scared to death because they may be stupid and ignorant but most of them do understand that the last time the left had political power in the United States we got the New Deal, Great Society, Universal Suffrage, Civil Right Act, Legal Abortion, Regulated commerce , the EPA the FDA , Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and a Democratic President who was so popular that the only reason FDR was a 4 term President was that he died before he could win a 5th one.

The entire conservative movement in the United States has been pretty much dedicated to undermining FDR's legacy from the moment he died until it finally peaked with Trump's election. One of the few comforting things in all of this crazy to me has been watching the Republicans get oh so tantalizingly close to their final victory right at the moment that the cultural zeitgeist has reached the point where it's turning against them. That the advent of the internet broke the embargo they put on information critical of conservative ideologies, that our cultural attitudes regarding the marginalized has evolved to the point that more and more people are out right rejecting the xenophobia and bigotry that they rely on to fuel their crazies.

As someone who lived through the 70s, 80s, and 90s the change has been incredibly rapid. I'm telling you in 2006 had you told me that a black man named Barrack Hussein Obama would be the 44th President of the United States I'd have called you crazy, yet 2 years later it was a done, and to all of those who are mad about how he governed I'll repeat the same loving thing that I said throughout the 08 election. Just by winning he did more to shift the political debate in this country than anything else that happened since the Great Depression.

AOC and these real New Dems (not to be confused with the New Democrats who are the same old DLC shills rebranded) They are changing the conversation, She's able to do something that more established Democrats can't. Which is talk about actual leftist ideas, Note she says something that is "crazy" based on the conservative paradigm of "taxes bad, must balance budget can't pay for everything" and the Right seeing what they believe will be an easy target discovers that "oh wait these ideas aren't the crazy ones" as they get eviscerated by someone who hasn't been cowed by decades of abuse.

Of course it's not just that AOC is a great candidate and an effective advocate, She wouldn't have been half as effective if the body politic wasn't ready for it. I mean seriously it's not like Democratic politicians haven't been saying all of this for decades, Keynesian economics isn't exactly a new idea. It's just that the Democrats haven't been able to effectively counter the RWM machine's propaganda when they had no conduit to get their ideas to the people.

Seriously prior to the invention of the internet you had to put actual real effort into learning about more left leaning political ideas.

In a strange way we can kind of thank our dumb baby reality star so called President because his insistence on forcing Twitter to be an official communications platform for government has provided a way to bypass the media embargo on leftist thought. Because now a politician or media outlet says some biased bullshit and they'll get called out on it. For a long long time the media has used it's one way communication to be a gatekeeper regarding what ideas are valid for "reasonable discussion among serious people" serious people defined as those who will stay within a certain narrative lane.

It actually makes me really kind of optimistic about the future. Yeah things suck right now and I don't know how we're going to get out of it. But things are changing and they're changing faster than I think most people realize. A lot more people are paying attention to politics. I said in a previous post that when government is working well it's pretty much invisible, the Republicans however are making it not work well and as such more and more people are gaining an awareness of just how much government does and just how important it is to their comfort and security that it does function properly.

And while I know that there will be plenty of cynical goons who are going to poo poo this, the fact that you have major corporations and organizations such as MSNBC, NIKE, Levi, Disney and others going all in on liberal cultural values as being astro-turf virtue signaling motivated by cynical desires for profit, the very fact that these organizations have made this decision means that we're winning this fight. The Right is desperate that's why they have dropped any pretense of playing by the rules, blatant corruption, voter fraud and all of the vile poo poo they've been doing. They're desperately trying to lock in their control and hold back the inevitable shift back to the left that has been building slowly since the fall of the Soviet Union removed their most convenient Boogieman to associate with the Left in order to silence us.

Back in the wake of the passage of Prop 8 when I was attempting to comfort a friend who was beside herself with grief over the outcome I noted that the fact that the right as been reduced to fighting over marriage equality was an indication that the culture war was pretty much over, that it hadn't been all that long before that the debate had been whether or not gay people had a right to not be assaulted and murdered so the very fact that the debate had come down to marriage was a sign that the full equality was an inevitability because the social sentiment wasn't going to reverse.

That's how change always happens. The powers that be never take activists seriously at the beginning, the first tactic has always been to dismiss them as foolish, out of touch, unrealistic, pipe dreaming fools. That's always the first avenue of attack because it doesn't require them to actually engage with the ideas being presented. That tactic is what the right and their complicit media has used to thwart efforts of the left to shift the debate during the Television age. Centralized and controlled mass media has been the most significant and powerful force against leftist thinking in the modern age.

Also I don't think that it's anything uniquely special about AOC that is making her so prominent at the moment. It's more a matter of being in the right place at the right time with the right set of skills (Good understanding of economics, and a razor sharp wit.) and holding the right values that resonate with the electorate. To the concerns of the idiots worried about cult of personality nonsense it's not about nor has it ever been about AOC, she's a symbol of a movement of a frustration with the status quo that isn't working for people. She may be the most visible face of that movement, but movements are different from Personality Cults as they are not dependent on the leader. And this movement has more than just her as leaders.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Zwabu posted:

I've seen, online, GOPers trying to play the "both sides need to compromise" game combined with "5 billion is a drop in the bucket from the budget anyway, why not just let him have this and work things out later?".

The essential principle is letting Trump and/or the GOP hold the government hostage over any particular item.

What if Trump wanted to spend 5 billion spelling out TRUMP in solid gold letters to be placed at Mar a Lago? Also a drop in the bucket. Should he be able to hold the government hostage over that? Most of us consider border wall to be equally useful or desirable as that.

Trump won a presidential election a few years ago, without the popular vote. The Democratic house won, with the popular vote, by a substantial margin much more recently which could and should be interpreted as a mandate to oppose things like the wall and Trump's immigration policy and rhetoric which were showcased by him in the election.

Unless the GOP is literally making the argument that Trump should have the power of a king, gently caress right off.
Yeah I agree this point should be focused on a lot more in the Democratic messaging. We should not allow the president to hold the government hostage to demand specific funding for any program, it sets a terrible precedent. If the president wants a wall to be funded it he needs to propose a bill that is voted on by Congress. If he doesn't have the votes he needs to negotiate with Congress and find a way to come up with the missing votes. If Congress capitulates now then Trump will know he can use this same tactic again in the future to get what he wants, which cannot be allowed to happen.

NoDamage fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 11, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Guze posted:

Someone likely suggested that to him once and he latched onto it. But of course he can't keep anything consistent so he keeps forgetting.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Three weeks into a shutdown and he still thinks this is a branding problem. President Deals, everybody.

Branding is the only thing he's ever had moderate success with, so I can see why he thinks he can somehow just keep changing it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It'd be cool if federal workers could sue fox news for basically causing the shutdown.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

bobjr posted:

Come up with a good acronym for peaches and use it for something worth it

Probably
Everyone's
A
Criminal
Here
Except
Spicer

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Especially Spicer

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

VH4Ever posted:

You sure that was their point?

5 pages back, but that was the point. The rock is not a boomer, but boomers are the definitive snowflakes. Nobody gets as upset as a boomer that isn’t being catered to.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gaunab posted:

It'd be cool if federal workers could sue fox news for basically causing the shutdown.

It was more Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Holy poo poo.

I never even purchased that Mumia of equal or larger size.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Guze posted:

I think it's because it's exactly the sort of face saving technicality he would totally go for if the situation was reversed.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It was more Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter

Oh what new and terrifying things could the TSA come up with the next time Limbaugh and Coulter decide to fly somewhere?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Madkal posted:

Oh what new and terrifying things could the TSA come up with the next time Limbaugh and Coulter decide to fly somewhere?

Americans in general and Conservatives in particular are well known for their ability to properly assign blame when they have been wronged.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Spikeguy posted:

What the gently caress is up with WV? Also, god drat it Louisiana you disappoint me.

All that CLEAN COAL though! :shepface:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

quote:

He occasionally misses things that happen on the right.
:drat:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Holy poo poo.

I never even purchased that Mumia of equal or larger size.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately remembered this joke.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Trump campaigned for more jobs, not paychecks

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Office Pig posted:

Hey anyone remember that one time Israel sank an American ship and nothing happened? Swell times, swell times.

Holy poo poo :stare:

And retweeted by totally not-racist Lil Ben!

I still think we should be wary of Likud and Putin's increasing chummyness

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

tbh I don't even know what could be in the boxes, the fact that they never even ran tests on the gun to confirm he shot it and the literal only witnesses who claim he 'confessed' were two cops who were friends with the dead guy. Like, yea I hope there's somehow MORE rock solid proof of conspiracy but this already shouldn't even be a debated issue.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tatsuta Age posted:

The rock admitted he’s a deplorable, op

That sucks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/AyannaPressley/status/1083503856531705862

I honestly would never have expected this message to come from a member of Congress and I am so pleased to be surprised.

I'm pretty disappointed that "dotard" hasn't caught on as a replacement for this. Just change two letters!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pigbuster posted:

I don’t know but it’s like the one thing he has been consistent about and it baffles me every time.

It's got to be some game of telephone where someone said something to him and he got half the message.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Bicyclops posted:

It's got to be some game of telephone where someone said something to him and he got half the message.

Someone probably told him he needs to stop talking about a wall (heavily implying it isn't going to happen) and he took it to mean he shouldn't use the word itself. He probably thinks this makes him very clever.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Peaches?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Buu--GEIMM

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Show up at his office with 5 billion dollars in peaches and demand he sign the budget

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Crow Jane posted:

Meh, they're still a massive corporate chain selling mediocre food. Eat local.

Local for me is megaMAGA land.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Crow Jane posted:

I can't wait for the internal marketing stuff to come out and make it crystal clear they know what dumb rubes their listeners are

yeah I no poo poo want to read this lunacy

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

Show up at his office with 5 billion dollars in peaches and demand he sign the budget

It's unfortunately 3 billion pounds of peaches, so it would be hard for most people to carry. You'd need a pocket dimension to seal them in.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bicyclops posted:

It's unfortunately 3 billion pounds of peaches, so it would be hard for most people to carry. You'd need a pocket dimension to seal them in.

I mean Congress clearly has nothing going on this weekend so use them to haul peaches

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Millions of peaches. Peaches for me.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Peaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvAnQqVJ3XQ

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Peaches are one of my favorite fruits/foods in general, but seeing as how they get bruised and inedible if you so much as look at them wrong, the Trump association is probably apt.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy poo poo :stare:

And retweeted by totally not-racist Lil Ben!

I still think we should be wary of Likud and Putin's increasing chummyness

@TheMossadIL is a joke account and exclusively makes "we're watching you poop" type tweets.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I swear, I will go to my grave thinking of Trump's peaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.

CannonFodder posted:

Local for me is megaMAGA land.

Head east, you know the address.