Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm going to find whoever passed this hosed up lot of xylene and throw them into the sun, that nearly hosed up my whole day :argh:

Edit: Xylene snipe, everybody make sure your reagents are, you know, what they say they are and also of an acceptable quality to work with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm going to find whoever passed this hosed up lot of xylene and throw them into the sun, that nearly hosed up my whole day :argh:

Edit: Xylene snipe, everybody make sure your reagents are, you know, what they say they are and also of an acceptable quality to work with!
I was going to make a a joke about your xylenes having too much 1,3-dimethyl benzene, but decided it was too meta.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Dik Hz posted:

I was going to make a a joke about your xylenes having too much 1,3-dimethyl benzene, but decided it was too meta.

:discourse:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

:golfclap:

In other, fun lab-related fuckups, I just walked by one of our standard(not biohazard or sharps) trash bins and saw it was filled with mice AND human brain slides! :negative:

I'm glad it's Friday.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Johnny Truant posted:

In other, fun lab-related fuckups, I just walked by one of our standard(not biohazard or sharps) trash bins and saw it was filled with mice AND human brain slides!

Mouse brain slides, or just mice? Or both?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

Mouse brain slides, or just mice? Or both?

All slides, no mice corpses or brains, thank god.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Live mice eating human brain slides.

Run.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
It's not a good day when the FDA shows up for an inspection and sends a guy we fired a few years ago.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

More surprised that FDA is doing inspections during a shutdown tbh.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

That Works posted:

More surprised that FDA is doing inspections during a shutdown tbh.

Someone was joking that hes just pretending to be an FDA inspector and since no one is home at the FDA we cant call to verify it. Realistically I'm surprised too but I think they are considered essential personnel so inspectors still gotta inspect.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Found the person before me had labelled the lid of a bottle of NaCl as MgCl2.

The real MgCl2 bottle was in an isolated drierite jar.

Glad I caught it because making artificial CSF with the wrong ingredients would have seriously hosed all our experiments.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Tunicate posted:

Found the person before me had labelled the lid of a bottle of NaCl as MgCl2.

The real MgCl2 bottle was in an isolated drierite jar.

Glad I caught it because making artificial CSF with the wrong ingredients would have seriously hosed all our experiments.
You should track down the salt culprit and Cs then Ba.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dik Hz posted:

You're a good person.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dik Hz posted:

Hahaah

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Dik Hz posted:

good post

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
Does anyone else get struck with intrusive thoughts on how you should just take a BIG OL SWIG of whatever you are working with?
I work in personal care formulation so i don't really work with anything super nasty but like... I want to drink this gallon of CCT u feel me

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

stimulated emission posted:

Does anyone else get struck with intrusive thoughts on how you should just take a BIG OL SWIG of whatever you are working with?
I work in personal care formulation so i don't really work with anything super nasty but like... I want to drink this gallon of CCT u feel me

Looks at ecoli culture and lysate.
eh, no.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

*Looks at cholera culture*

No.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

*looks at formalin fixed brains in silver solution*
Hmm, nah.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
I'm good with coffee personally.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I have oncolytic powders and phosphoric acid. Tea is the clear winner here.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

ive tasted many things in the lab...mostly by accident

qiagen buffer p2 and n3 are not tasty, avoid at all costs

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Micronized grape flavor powder for a children's formulation is my favorite flavor so far. Goes straight through both N95 masks and Bullard PAPR cartridges, so the moment you start milling anything, the world tastes of Laffy Taffy.

I also had a drug about eight years ago that bound to taste receptors and made everything taste bitter for weeks if you breathed it in. It'd have been a lovely diet aid had it not been a (failed) attempt at treating pancreatic cancer.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sundae posted:

I also had a drug about eight years ago that bound to taste receptors and made everything taste bitter for weeks if you breathed it in. It'd have been a lovely diet aid had it not been a (failed) attempt at treating pancreatic cancer.

Wonder how well it'd fight against that protein in miracleberries/

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
If we're talking accidentally smelling stuff. I got a nice whiff of chloroform once. It burned the nostrils pretty bad and was a pretty small amount.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Wonder how well it'd fight against that protein in miracleberries/

Monellin?
I know of an article where the coauthors (professors, post docs and PhDs )willingly tested different mutants of it by ingesting it. One way to get around the ethics committee.

Artonos posted:

If we're talking accidentally smelling stuff. I got a nice whiff of chloroform once. It burned the nostrils pretty bad and was a pretty small amount.

Accidentally smelling stuff is kinda normal procedure.
For various reasons we set pH using non diluted HCl which is a constant source of enjoyment.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Monellin?

Miraculin, apparently.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Artonos posted:

a light whiff of chloroform smells kinda sweet. any more though and it's downright nasty.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

I had a friend who would gently caress with people by taking a sip of the buffer he was working with if anyone was watching, it was always PBS but it got some good laughs.

Now I work with human tissue, so I’d rather let the robots handle it.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I will confess that I've always wanted to taste deuterated water

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Tryptic soy broth smells kinda gross when it's cooking but on the other hand it's purple so maybe it tastes like kool-aid and I just don't know it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Laboratory Chat: Making the Tide Pod Challenge

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Laboratory Chat: Making the Tide Pod Challenge

Someone please make this happen

I now recall a story from my undergraduate adviser about when he was pipetting by mouth as an undergrad (would have been the 40s) and got a mouth full of some organic solvent. He said it tasted like what gasoline smells like.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

When I was still at the bench I'd always eye the bottles on non-denatured pure ethanol in our solvent room.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

gninjagnome posted:

When I was still at the bench I'd always eye the bottles on non-denatured pure ethanol in our solvent room.

It probably taste like everclear which is just burning sensation in a bottle.

Reminds me of one night I was working late in graduate school. It was 2 or 3 am and I needed to use something in the bio lab so i walked down stairs and while walking down the hall i saw the lab door was open and could see some figures inside. I kinda had a hunch what was going on so i opened the door and kicked the lights on. I found three undergrad students I knew staring at me like deer in headlights standing around the solvent cabinet with a bottle of medical grade ethanol. One of them worked in that lab and had keys to get in. before one of them could finish a sentience told them if they put it back i wouldn't tell the professor or the university police other wise I would call the police and let them deal with it. They sheepishly put it back and told them to not do poo poo so stupid since the next time they might get caught by someone less forgiving. After that I suggested to the professor to lock up the ethanol after pointing out that someone might try to take it and would poison themselves he liked the idea and only gave keys to grad students.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Should? No. Media already used for cultures? Hell no. Fresh LB and Todd Hewitt broths kinda smell good, and I'll admit to wondering how they taste. I'd never consider consuming anything that had been in that lab, though, that place was gross. And every time I prepared 4M NaCl I wondered how salty it would taste, but that's something I could just do at home if I really wanted to.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Someone please make this happen

I now recall a story from my undergraduate adviser about when he was pipetting by mouth as an undergrad (would have been the 40s) and got a mouth full of some organic solvent. He said it tasted like what gasoline smells like.
Barry Sharpless still asks his students to bring him any new tasty chemicals they synthesize.

I'm very fond of the smell of dichloromethane.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Shrieking Muppet posted:

I will confess that I've always wanted to taste deuterated water

Tastes like water I would assume. Must have tasted it one time or another.
Difference between deuterated water and normal water is hydrogen bond strength and molecular weight.
Having grown Ecoli in 50% deuterated water the main difference is that everything goes slower but not much else.

Also, if you don’t have 20% and 70% solutions of non denatured ethanol standing around everywhere in the lab I don’t know what to say. Helps that we don’t have students and phds in the lab.
Lab ethanol kinda loses its charm after having it freely available.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Tastes like water I would assume. Must have tasted it one time or another.
Difference between deuterated water and normal water is hydrogen bond strength and molecular weight.

It's slightly sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I like the way a 50:50 methanol-water solution smells. Also vanillin TLC stain, a delivery guy thought we were baking cupcakes. Lucky for him it wasn’t a Swern oxidation day, that smells terrible. My personal, least favorite smell is pyridine.