Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PostNouveau posted:

That was the only long one they had for a long time, so when they needed to kill time with a couch gag, it was the only option.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense.

Still, I've seen it way more than, say, this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci9jfMvoLb4

Though, it is much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

Ah, that makes a lot of sense.

Still, I've seen it way more than, say, this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci9jfMvoLb4

Though, it is much longer.

This one's from Season 18, so you're probably not watching as many Season 18+ episodes as you are the ones from the golden age.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PostNouveau posted:

This one's from Season 18, so you're probably not watching as many Season 18+ episodes as you are the ones from the golden age.

My god it feels like it's an ages old gag that's been around since forever but it seems I was already away at college by the time that one aired :stonk:

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
What episode is it where homer points at a picture of Bart and says that's him, that's the guy and he's scared?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

brugroffil posted:

Since I watched the show so many times in syndication, those were the versions I always remembered. When I got seasons 1-10 back in 2010 or so, it was like getting all sorts of deleted scenes and jokes!

:same:

Then you realize, this is an even funnier show than it gets credit for and it gets absolutely butchered for reruns

I think it's gone from a 23 to a 17 minute runtime, something like that? All the best jokes are the ones that have nothing to do with the plot. That's why there's so much exposition- everything's an Al Jean Explain-a-Joke because there's not enough time to be funny.

The most noticeable structural aspect of the decline was when they stopped doing concurrent A and B stories in favor of using Act 1 as a throwaway plot to get into the main plot of the episode, which usually had nothing to do with the first part.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ

PostNouveau posted:

Somehow, we'd be talking about what the lowest point was for the Critic's 25 seasons and counting.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i saw this guest animated couch gag for the first time today and it's pretty badass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZu5iDTtNg0

it's really neat how you spend a minute watching this gorgeous detailed art with realistic perspective and subtle facial expressions and unusual camera angles (even though the movement itself is fairly simple), and your brain gets used to it, and then at 1:13 it cuts back to season 27 simpsons animation quality and it's like hitting a brick loving wall

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 11, 2019

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
yeah but maggie scoots by on a couch at the end so it's funny, you understand

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sagebrush posted:

i saw this guest animated couch gag for the first time today and it's pretty badass

it's really neat how you spend a minute watching this gorgeous detailed art with realistic perspective and subtle facial expressions and unusual camera angles (even though the movement itself is fairly simple), and your brain gets used to it, and then at 1:13 it cuts back to season 27 simpsons animation quality and it's like hitting a brick loving wall

The thing that gets to me about the modern couch gags was mentioned earlier in the page, the longer the gag, the shorter the actual episode content.

EDIT:
Shorter episodes are pretty merciful in modern episodes I guess

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

Wow that ending bit is SO loving bad. Like the majority of the couch gag actually had somewhat decent jokes in it, both at the expense of the 80s and at the expense of The simpsons. It actually felt clever. Then… the ending happened.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sagebrush posted:

and then at 1:13 it cuts back to season 27 simpsons animation quality and it's like hitting a brick loving wall
Jesus. Homer on the couch at the end is animated so badly it could have been taken from a college sizzle reel.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

Jesus. Homer on the couch at the end is animated so badly it could have been taken from a college sizzle reel.

His mouth isn't bad, but his arm just tweens forward and back without even moving his thumb when he turns the tv off. Marge's eyes don't even look in the vague direction of Maggie, ignoring the fact that everyone just sits statically with their pupils sliding.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The Guest animated intros are interesting to me since they are the only quality stuff about the show from the last 10 years and of course involve none of the people actually working on the show the rest of the time.

They also throw into stark contrast how bad the show generally is by comparison, especially in terms of animation as we've discussed.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

The thing that gets to me about the modern couch gags was mentioned earlier in the page, the longer the gag, the shorter the actual episode content.

EDIT:
Shorter episodes are pretty merciful in modern episodes I guess

And yet the commentaries from the early seasons are full of the people making the show talking about how the network kept cutting time needed to tell stories and jokes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pooch516 posted:

And yet the commentaries from the early seasons are full of the people making the show talking about how the network kept cutting time needed to tell stories and jokes.

They had to speed up Who Shot Mr. Burns Part 2 by 15% to get everything into the allotted running time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The newest one is kinda "Grandpa's Phobia".

They find out Grandpa has trauma in his past, and they think it's from the war, but it turns out it's from his time as a model for toy soldiers. He goes on the news to bitch about them never paying him residuals (Lawrence O'Donnell cameo), and the toy company flies the Simpsons out to NYC to talk it over. The N&N joke is that Homer is stealing someone wearing the mascot costume, not just a statue btw.

Grandpa gets there and they tell him what happened. The toy company didn't know his name because he freaked out and ran out on the photo shoot when the male photographer (Bryan Batt who played the gay artist on Mad Men) came on to him, and that was the trauma or something. Grandpa feels bad the guy lost his job over it, so they travel to Marfa Texas to apologize.

Homer pees on the fake Prada store.

The guy has an art gallery there and apparently Grandpa is his muse because all his art has army men in it.

They don't address at the end that the toy company owes Grandpa hundreds of millions of dollars.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

They don't address at the end that the toy company owes Grandpa hundreds of millions of dollars.

“Rubber band reality”, the concept that had hans moleman being killed in every appearance and returning, and homer with $1100 to spend on itchy and scratchy money while simultaneously being unable to pay the mortgage,
Formerly used for comedic effect is now used to paper over giant plot holes

gently caress al Jean he’s so goddamn lazy

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is Abe still a WW2 vet in the new eps or did they change him to be a Vietnam one or something?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

They should just make him older and older, make him a CW vet by this point.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Is Abe even scared of anything in the episode, or is the episode name just a lazy reference to a golden era episode that also had a gay character in it?

I know it's the latter, but still.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

At least, Abe is not seeking assisted suicide again.

The actors may be.

Asshole Rose
Dec 28, 2017
Homo Simpson :regd13:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

“Rubber band reality”, the concept that had hans moleman being killed in every appearance and returning, and homer with $1100 to spend on itchy and scratchy money while simultaneously being unable to pay the mortgage,
Formerly used for comedic effect is now used to paper over giant plot holes

gently caress al Jean he’s so goddamn lazy

First one that stuck out to me was Lisa's "eating disorder" episode where at the end Homer makes a line that "everything worked out" and Lisa said "No it didn't. I still have a disorder and it's not solved," and it's never addressed again.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

For another obvious example.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Been watching American Dad lately and Roger gets kicked out of a summer camp located across the river from a lovely meth-addled town that Francine can't wait to get away from.

He drowns his sorrows at a local dive call Meaux's. :cheeky:

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

khwarezm posted:

The Guest animated intros are interesting to me since they are the only quality stuff about the show from the last 10 years and of course involve none of the people actually working on the show the rest of the time.

They also throw into stark contrast how bad the show generally is by comparison, especially in terms of animation as we've discussed.

yeah, there are some very cool guest couch spots, and they are easily the best thing about recent Simpsons. Even a shitheel like John K can make something that's at least... interesting? about modern simpsons

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
After listening to the commentary on that episode I’m in the writers corner for the point they were trying to make

But episodes like that and Poochie were way too meta when they first aired and it’s only with the benefit of hindsight do they make sense

The poochie episode was a gently caress-you to the network who wanted a new edgy main character/family member who would “out-Bart bart” :rolleyes: that’s why Roy is there

Like seriously what a stupid idea (nowadays it’d be the best episode of the season)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Really? I got the joke that they were never actually going to bring Roy back as a child watching the episode for the first time.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

He drowns his sorrows at a local dive call Meaux's. :cheeky:

As a kid I never got the “Flaming Moes/flaming ‘mos” double entendre til they pointed it out in the commentary

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Really? I got the joke that they were never actually going to bring Roy back as a child watching the episode for the first time.

I meant why he was there from the writers perspective not just welp we’ll never see him again, smart me. That much was obvious

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CodfishCartographer posted:

Is Abe even scared of anything in the episode, or is the episode name just a lazy reference to a golden era episode that also had a gay character in it?

I know it's the latter, but still.

That wasn't actually the title. I was just drawing a comparison.

Abe also questions his sexuality in the episode, because he panics so badly from a man kissing him. At the end of the episode, he plants one on the guy and decides he's definitely straight.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

As a kid I never got the “Flaming Moes/flaming ‘mos” double entendre til they pointed it out in the commentary

I didn't get it until a few seconds ago when I read this.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I guessed the couch gag before clicking the link. :hfive: Definitely my favorite one in a long time. I legitimately thought the song they used was totally original for this couch gag cause it seemed so wonderfully cheesy 80s, but then I found out it was from Scarface (which...considering that's what the couch gag was referencing...probably made sense).

Cessna posted:

For another obvious example.

I'm glad someone brought this up. This episode had kind of an interesting trajectory for me cause when I initially saw it, I (like pretty much everyone else) was flabbergasted at why they came up with this plot. For the longest time I hated it cause it was just so stupid and nonsensical.

But now looking back, I actually like the episode. Sure, the original complaints are still present. But that being said, although it had a dumb plot, the episode itself was pretty funny, with some good gags and jokes (particularly the one you referenced, which I didn't fully appreciate until years late).

It's basically what I think of as the best worst episode of the Simpsons.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

They also all thought the show was on it's last legs so why not do goofy universe breaking stuff?

20 years later...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

PostNouveau posted:

Abe also questions his sexuality in the episode, because he panics so badly from a man kissing him. At the end of the episode, he plants one on the guy and decides he's definitely straight.

Didn't Grampa seduce Hitler in some episode?

Mr Interweb posted:

But now looking back, I actually like the episode. Sure, the original complaints are still present. But that being said, although it had a dumb plot, the episode itself was pretty funny, with some good gags and jokes (particularly the one you referenced, which I didn't fully appreciate until years late).

It's basically what I think of as the best worst episode of the Simpsons.

Judge Snyder's delivery, combined with the ominous music, always have me in stitches.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Cessna posted:

I didn't get it until a few seconds ago when I read this.

Same.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Mr Interweb posted:

I'm glad someone brought this up. This episode had kind of an interesting trajectory for me cause when I initially saw it, I (like pretty much everyone else) was flabbergasted at why they came up with this plot. For the longest time I hated it cause it was just so stupid and nonsensical.

Yeah, I didn't mind the "and everything goes back to how it was" in that episode because it was so blatant and obvious - and it was called out and laughed at. I saw it as self-deprecating humor, and was fine with it as a result.

But somewhere they lost track of the fact that this wasn't supposed to be the status quo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is Abe still a WW2 vet in the new eps or did they change him to be a Vietnam one or something?

Still WW2

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

And would have had to be in his 60s to concieve Homer now for him to still be a WWII vet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The SImpsons should have made a choice to remain set in he 90s, and ignore time progression and pop culture altogether. Ironically being a throwback to the past would be a major asset these days, as people are looking for nostalgia.