Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Of course R2 uses computers; the abused often kick downwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Luke Skywalker: Space Idiot

True! But they are good questions because they help the viewer with understanding the universe.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

sponges posted:

Casually accusing Cnut of being a racist facisct because of his stance on Star Wars robots :discourse:

Opinions on art are revelatory of one's own personal ideologies. It's why art is so good, is that we can use it to examine ourselves. This is uncontroversial.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Darth Vader calmly adjusts his control stick as the stars zoom by.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Waffles Inc. posted:

Opinions on art are revelatory of one's own personal ideologies. It's why art is so good, is that we can use it to examine ourselves. This is uncontroversial.

I don't agree.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

sponges posted:

Casually accusing Cnut of being a racist facisct because of his stance on Star Wars robots :discourse:

A lot of the things he's saying of droids are what racists say of people who they feel are lesser than themselves. If we're positing the theory that droids are people (which they are), then he's assigning the same stereotypes (They don't think like we do, but it's not their fault, it's simply the way they were born/built/created). Not coincidentally, Obi Wan has the same line of reasoning at the beginning of Episode I when he meets Jar Jar Binks.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

cuntman.net posted:

Darth Vader calmly adjusts his control stick as the stars zoom by.

Ah, you're a Maoist I see

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

ruddiger posted:

A lot of the things he's saying of droids are what racists say of people who they feel are lesser than themselves. If we're positing the theory that droids are people (which they are), then he's assigning the same stereotypes (They don't think like we do, but it's not their fault, it's simply the way they were born/built/created). Not coincidentally, Obi Wan has the same line of reasoning at the beginning of Episode I when he meets Jar Jar Binks.

Droids aren't people (they're made up characters in a sci fi movie).

Also not for nothing but the reading that droids are droids and not black people in order to trick racists into outing themselves is pretty thin. If Papa Lucas had wanted droids to be mere stand ins for oppressed people why not just make them Vietnamese and save some budget on make-up and props?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Droids are people. They're the most sympathetic characters in the whole saga.

Heck, in the Alien films you got loving Bishop and David, the two greatest heroes in the series besides Ripley!

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

porfiria posted:

Also not for nothing but the reading that droids are droids and not black people in order to trick racists into outing themselves is pretty thin. If Papa Lucas had wanted droids to be mere stand ins for oppressed people why not just make them Vietnamese and save some budget on make-up and props?

Who cares about George Lucas?

The characters we see on the screen are thinking and feeling and deserving of empathy.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Waffles Inc. posted:

The characters we see on the screen are thinking and feeling and deserving of empathy.

Sorry to tell you, but they're Siri.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

porfiria posted:

What a dumb-rear end question. Why didn't he just write down the plot of the movie on a blackboard and film that for 90 minutes? He wouldn't even have to use differently colored crayon, just use one color. Wouldn't want to get too complicated when conveying something.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

porfiria posted:

If Papa Lucas had wanted droids to be mere stand ins for oppressed people why not just make them Vietnamese and save some budget on make-up and props?

Because he had to put some distance between his movie and the one he took his ideas from.

George Lucas posted:

I remember the one thing that really struck me about The Hidden Fortress, the one thing I was really intrigued by, was the fact that the story was told from the two lowest characters. I decided that would be a nice way to tell the Star Wars story. Take the two
lowliest characters, as Kurosawa did, and tell the story from their point of view. Which, in the Star Wars case is the two droids, and that was the strongest influence.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

I care about George Lucas. I care more about him than the robots in Star Wars, who are only a facsimile of people.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffles Inc. posted:

But I miss George Lucas.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

sponges posted:

... who are only a facsimile of people.

So are the rest of the characters in the movie, what's your point?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A New Hope is the best Star Wars movies, but I think Hidden Fortress is probably better than A New Hope.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

If you can’t be racist against fictional characters, then prove it: call Mace Windu the n-word.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

If we’re operating under the idea that droids are people than TPM is the goriest PG movie of all time

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

sponges posted:

If we’re operating under the idea that droids are people than TPM is the goriest PG movie of all time

yes. i distinctly remember the first time seeing TPM being surprised at the glee and little flourishes with which the jedi chop up the droids

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Nebalebadingdong posted:

yes. i distinctly remember the first time seeing TPM being surprised at the glee and little flourishes with which the jedi chop up the droids

Can’t believe it was marketed towards children. What a blunder!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Nebalebadingdong posted:

With the droids screaming as they get taken apart.

Darn inconsistent portrayal of those coldly marching killing machines!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Grendels Dad posted:

With the droids screaming as they get taken apart.

Darn inconsistent portrayal of those coldly marching killing machines!

lol at the fact that you think this is a burn instead of a perfect example of what I was talking about

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

sponges posted:

People point this out about alien blood/robot parts in media all the time. The observation itself is its own cliche. The transformers movies are like August underground for robots

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bonaventure posted:

lol at the fact that you think this is a burn instead of a perfect example of what I was talking about

Well, at least someone eventually managed to elaborate on your posts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress George Lucas.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If you can’t be racist against fictional characters, then prove it: call Mace Windu the n-word.

Mace Windu is a loving Neimodian.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

porfiria posted:

Mace Windu is a loving Neimodian.

--! She can't do that! Shoot her, or something!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I sincerely did not think was controversial.

People can have whatever opinion they want, so like whichever one you want to more. And popular opinion does not necessarily reflect fact. But popular opinion is that Empire is better than A New Hope. It’s a cliche for one of the rare sequels that is better than the original. Like Godfather II being better than Godfather. You should not have been surprised the comment would have been met with resistance.

That being said, I’m not saying you’re wrong. It’s your opinion. Like in my above example, I think The Godfather is 10 times the movie that The Godfather II is. But I know I do not hold the popular opinion.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Right, so when Cnut refers to Chewbacca as an animal and calls R2D2 an evolutionary dead-end(???), because of their races, that’s racism.

If anything it’s like a purified form of racism because Cnut is operating within a fantasy scenario where he can imagine just about anything. This is what he dreams.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

That being said, I’m not saying you’re wrong. It’s your opinion. Like in my above example, I think The Godfather is 10 times the movie that The Godfather II is. But I know I do not hold the popular opinion.

I tend to be a good judge of popular opinion and it's why my own reaction to Last Jedi continues to throw me for a loop. I certainly liked it, but clearly that wasn't the general reaction and I can't figure out what I am getting wrong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wheat Loaf posted:

I tend to be a good judge of popular opinion and it's why my own reaction to Last Jedi continues to throw me for a loop. I certainly liked it, but clearly that wasn't the general reaction and I can't figure out what I am getting wrong.

Oh my god stop talking

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Bonaventure posted:

How is it an inconsistency if soldiers scream when dismembered?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Hmm, this is clearly framed as comedy and yet... no; surely it's tragedy.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm sorry you enjoy the Mary Sue Chronicles because Disney is too afraid to create a sophisticated female character with flaws.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I just want to assure you that you're 110% correct that Godfather Part 1 is a better movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slutitution posted:

I'm sorry you enjoy the Mary Sue Chronicles because Disney is too afraid to create a sophisticated female character with flaws.

Whatever.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bonaventure posted:

Objection, it is framed as an awesome display of power by the Jedi, triumphant music and everything. The droids are not only defeated, they are debased. Look at those loving clowns, getting totally owned by the heroic Jedi.

It's so terribly one-sided audiences failed to get any satisfaction out of it, and then audiences got confused. Why couldn't they get satisfaction from a scene that shows the heroes dismembering their adversaries?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Bonaventure posted:

people get chopped up in comedies too? im honestly confused what you're arguing for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Bonaventure posted:

That's not an inconsistency in portrayal of the droids or elucidation of their natures. That's (arguably; I don't actually agree) an inconsistency in tone or genre.