Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pretty sure they self-hypnotized themselves into forgetting they looked into the future until some crisis makes it necessary to.

Think that's how they resolved a lot of those 'I saw the future' stories.

But here's another Supes cover that's funny just in how hard it is to explain:

How is Clark Kent doing a live newscast while he's simultaneously kicking the poo poo out of his alter ego?

Also what a great superpower. "I have a rock"

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Binary Badger posted:

Pretty sure they self-hypnotized themselves into forgetting they looked into the future until some crisis makes it necessary to.

Think that's how they resolved a lot of those 'I saw the future' stories.

But here's another Supes cover that's funny just in how hard it is to explain:

How is Clark Kent doing a live newscast while he's simultaneously kicking the poo poo out of his alter ego?

I'd guess that Blackrock stole Superman's Clark kent identity earlier with his black... rock... and read that announcement, then had it broadcast on delay so it would be like a sick burn when he stole Superman's Clark Kent ide...

No, wait a minute.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Binary Badger posted:

It made Mil Muertes the most feared man in the first season of Lucha Underground.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

What gets me is TV Kent's almost bored looking face while he's rattling off that spiel.

"Yeah yeah my alter ego is no longer champion of Metropolis, Darkseid wins seat on Metropolis City Council, who gives a poo poo, etc. etc."

Also looks like Blackrock is giving Supes super diarrhea.

Still, Jack Abel (RIP) inks are always nice and crisp.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 11, 2019

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
what gets me is that comics used to be 35 cents, great googly-moogly

thanks obama carter reagan I DONT KNOW

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Binary Badger posted:

What gets me is TV Kent's almost bored looking face while he's rattling off that spiel.

Its called professionalism. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go gamble a stamp and find how I could be in the Superman movie.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Rhyno posted:

His parents would already be dead at that point.

Now he knows to close the window to keep that bat out. Alfred chased it around with a broom for the rest of the evening.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kevin Palpatine posted:

what gets me is that comics used to be 35 cents, great googly-moogly

thanks obama carter reagan I DONT KNOW

35 cents was the middle of the ginormous price spike in comics that was occurring in the 70's after decades of comics being around a dime. In 1970, comics were 15 cents, 1975 they were 25 cents, that issue is from 1977, by 1980 they were 40 cents. This keeps going throughout the 80's on a similar pace (1990 comics costs over twice as much as 1980 comics). This isn't solely inflation, though it was especially bad in the 1970's. There were big changes in how publishers had to handle inventory and the price of cheap paper; basically there wasn't enough "cheap" paper to go around anymore. So the price of comics just kept skyrocketing.

Binary Badger posted:

A rock that controls gravity, IIRC. Or was his rock the one that controlled the EM spectrum. Either way, controlling one of the fundamental forces is pretty impressive for rock.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I appreciate this reference.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

A rock that controls gravity, IIRC. Or was his rock the one that controlled the EM spectrum. Either way, controlling one of the fundamental forces is pretty impressive for rock.

I think Blackrock's power had something to do with radio waves because the original Blackrock was a television producer and the way he used it tied into that.

I know about Blackrock because one of the first Superman comics I read was the early 00s run immediately before Infinite Crisis where OMACs are popping up everywhere, Deathstroke and the edgy tryhard version of Dr Psycho are getting pushed as serious big-time villains and Superman's being mind-controlled by Max Lord; there's a story there where the Blackrock comes back which went on for a few months.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Binary Badger posted:

Duh, that's obviously a Clark Kent robot.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

35 cents was the middle of the ginormous price spike in comics that was occurring in the 70's after decades of comics being around a dime. In 1970, comics were 15 cents, 1975 they were 25 cents, that issue is from 1977, by 1980 they were 40 cents. This keeps going throughout the 80's on a similar pace (1990 comics costs over twice as much as 1980 comics). This isn't solely inflation, though it was especially bad in the 1970's. There were big changes in how publishers had to handle inventory and the price of cheap paper; basically there wasn't enough "cheap" paper to go around anymore. So the price of comics just kept skyrocketing.

Yeah, there was a point where Marvel comics used to have "STILL ONLY 35c" on their covers.

As for Blackrock, let's not forget the all-new version from back in the 2000s....

Much more dynamic than some goofy guy in a green-and-purple outfit, right?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Was laser witchblade that badly coloured originally or is it down to the compression.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Selachian posted:

As for Blackrock, let's not forget the all-new version from back in the 2000s....

There was another Blackrock immediately before her, who found the original when he was trying to rob his apartment in Metropolis, discovering he'd gone mad and watched videos of himself fighting Superman on a continuous loop. The new guy beat the old guy to death with the Blackrock and kept it for himself.

The guy loses when Superman gives him his full-power heat vision and just pours it on until things around him start to melt (convection, after all, only exists in comics when it is suitably dramatic for it to do so) and Jimmy comes up afterwards and says, "Gee, Superman, normally you only use that much power on Brainiac or Doomsday or Ruin!" Because this was 2004 when DC were determined that Ruin, the former Dr Emil Hamilton, should be pushed as a top-tier Superman bad guy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was another Blackrock immediately before her, who found the original when he was trying to rob his apartment in Metropolis, discovering he'd gone mad and watched videos of himself fighting Superman on a continuous loop. The new guy beat the old guy to death with the Blackrock and kept it for himself.

The guy loses when Superman gives him his full-power heat vision and just pours it on until things around him start to melt (convection, after all, only exists in comics when it is suitably dramatic for it to do so) and Jimmy comes up afterwards and says, "Gee, Superman, normally you only use that much power on Brainiac or Doomsday or Ruin!" Because this was 2004 when DC were determined that Ruin, the former Dr Emil Hamilton, should be pushed as a top-tier Superman bad guy.

This makes me want to see Blackrock take on Cyclops, see if Blackrock can absorb all the energy from the Punch Dimension.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

goatface posted:

Was laser witchblade that badly coloured originally or is it down to the compression.

Wait, that's not Starfire in an even worse costume than usual? (Yes, I know. I was thinking maybe it was a mind control rock in that version.)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Wait, that's not Starfire in an even worse costume than usual? (Yes, I know. I was thinking maybe it was a mind control rock in that version.)

A thimble full of the Venom symbiote trying to cover all that.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

There was a golden age superman comic I read years ago where Superman became giant, for whatever convoluted reason it was, and to prove he wasn't a giant hosted an interview with himself as Clark Kent where he just kept switching back and forth between each position at super speed.

Which also meant he had to change clothes constantly.

He also built a giant set so noone would know they were both gigantic

Ahhh golden age :allears:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Binary Badger posted:

"Yeah yeah my alter ego is no longer champion of Metropolis, Darkseid wins seat on Metropolis City Council, who gives a poo poo, etc. etc."

Also looks like Blackrock is giving Supes super diarrhea.

Still, Jack Abel (RIP) inks are always nice and crisp.

Clark Kent will read whatever is on the teleprompter.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Infinitum posted:

There was a golden age superman comic I read years ago where Superman became giant, for whatever convoluted reason it was, and to prove he wasn't a giant hosted an interview with himself as Clark Kent where he just kept switching back and forth between each position at super speed.

That's not even silver age. That was a bronze age story from 1976.

Rules of thumb:

Is Superman punching mobsters and/or evil landlords? It's golden age.
Is Superman dealing with aliens? Silver age.
Is Superman in one of those comics from the 70's or early 80's that no one cares to remember because they're boring? It's bronze age.

Serious dividing lines are generally the first Brainiac story from 1958 since it marked a tone shift for Superman. Bizarro followed shortly after that and those two were the first real silver age characters for Superman. Silver to bronze is always fuzzier, but I'd say it was "Kryptonite no More" since that was the first significant attempt to Marvel up Superman, the many failed attempts to do this are a defining feature of bronze age Superman to me, so that would be 1971.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

To be fair that's one of the two powers that works against Superman.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Infinitum posted:

So going by this he's switching back to Clark Kent, reading a thousandth of a syllable of his newscast, then zooming back to getting blasted by diarrhea rays by Blackrock, then zooming back to the TV studio to utter another thousandth of a syllable, making sure his facial expressions of boredom and pain keep matching up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Binary Badger posted:

So going by this he's switching back to Clark Kent, reading a thousandth of a syllable of his newscast, then zooming back to getting blasted by diarrhea rays by Blackrock, then zooming back to the TV studio to utter another thousandth of a syllable, making sure his facial expressions of boredom and pain keep matching up.

Superman is the stop-motion animator of his own life.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Formerly Known As The Justice League #2.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

While that Mr Freeze episode is probably the best episode of the animated series, “Almost Got ‘im” is still my favorite.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ConfusedUs posted:

While that Mr Freeze episode is probably the best episode of the animated series, “Almost Got ‘im” is still my favorite.

Best BTAS episode is the kind of award that doesn't mean much, because there are so many excellent ones that picking a best can't help but split hairs.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ConfusedUs posted:

I had totally forgotten the Catwoman angle until I did a recent rewatch. Really ties the whole thing together.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: Steven Universe: Harmony #5

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

these two panels have been on repeat in my head for like ten years now

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Someone had the second panel as a moving avatar for some time

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Can't argue with that

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Please consider purchasing some of the works of Michael Kupperman, the author/artist of these panels, because Marvel paid him peanuts for his contribution to Strange Tales.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Someone really went lovingly all in on shading those muscles in panel one.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

Please consider purchasing some of the works of Michael Kupperman, the author/artist of these panels, because Marvel paid him peanuts for his contribution to Strange Tales.

He will also talk to you on the Twitter if you want and is a funny and cool guy. And he made this which makes me laugh every time I read it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Young lady, I'm over here. You're arguing with Count Chocula so if this 'Dick' is so great he can take you to an optometrist."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mortal Kombat: Goro, Prince of Pain #1 (1994)

Mortal Kombat: Goro, Prince of Pain #2 (1994)