Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I see Rohan just like I see Aqua from Konosuba. He is trash and the best but he is trash and he is the best but he's trash but also the best ad nauseum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah Rohan is not cool or a good likeable person and that's why he's a fun character, and what makes the little steps he makes in Thus Spoke all the better, stuff like actually not using Heaven's Door on someone without their consent. JoJo would be worse if Rohan didn't suck,

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Rohan getting owned by the reincarnation of a greek god was good

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
All the bad things that happen to Rohan are because he's such an rear end in a top hat and he receives no help because he's an rear end in a top hat. But he's our rear end in a top hat dammit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this extra week is making me really appreciate that the train sequence is gonna start in a couple days

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Momomo posted:

All the bad things that happen to Rohan are because he's such an rear end in a top hat and he receives no help because he's an rear end in a top hat. But he's our rear end in a top hat dammit.

I liked when Koichi refused to believe him during Cheap Trick because he assumed Rohan was just messing with him.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Rohan is Dennis Reynolds.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Mac is Okuyasu, Josuke is Charlie?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jotaro is Frank

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
No, Frank is Koichi

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

FirstAidKite posted:

No, Frank is Koichi

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You're right, Jotaro is Dee.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im gonna laugh my loving rear end off if david uses their own captain tsubasa footage tomorrow

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Expect My Mom posted:

im gonna laugh my loving rear end off if david uses their own captain tsubasa footage tomorrow

"This thing's showing Captain Tsubasa, out now on Blu-ray!"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Best fight starts today, right?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yes

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D53M1vVF2N4

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

No Captain Tsubasa... :negative:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Also Coco Large are you loving kidding me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

F L A C C I D P A N C A K E

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

RatHat posted:

Also Coco Large are you loving kidding me.

"Coco Jumbo" wasn't even the correct name in the first place so I don't understand why they didn't go with that.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
lol that this episode starts the trend of Giorno, the youngest and only person here under the legal driving age, being the group's wheelman

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey

Trish is also 15 (which makes the "Fugo falls on her boobs" joke really weird)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Arist posted:

Hey

Trish is also 15 (which makes the "Fugo falls on her boobs" joke really weird)

Fugo is 16, so not really.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, that's actually a lot less weird than Mista going "hey Fugo, look at dem titties" and then the camera lingering on her rack, which was my actual problem with that scene. It's just weird.

But whatever, it bugs me but there's a lot worse sexual poo poo with underage characters all over the place, even just in this series. Like, my reaction for most of the time Lucy Steel was present in Part 7 was a resounding "Wait, what? Oh, this is... yiiiiiiikes," and even if Araki had the good sense to reveal that the weird gross implication of her relationship with Stephen was not actually what was going on, it doesn't excuse both Mr. and Mrs. Valentine attempting to rape her and even a heroic character like Mountain Tim being in love with her.

I love JoJo, but some of this is still kinda... ugh.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It’s always kinda come off to me like Araki gives the characters ages in the teens so that they’ll be popular with teenagers, but then continues writing them as thought they were adults. Which...doesn't really work that well lmao.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah the constant underage stuff with lucy sucks so much that actual teenage characters being horny for each other really just doesn't register to me

i look forward to revisiting this convo when giorno sucks mista's dick in a couple months

also the stuff with trish is like, the most lowkey and bored horny i've seen in anime, it feels like it had to check off a box

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i still hold that you could age everyone up in the gang by like 4-5 years and it would be vastly better

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Hot take: Teenage boys looking at titties is normal and healthy, even if they are animes.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mr. President Requiem

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

He *is* from Japan (13 AoC), so, unfortunately, it's a sucky light on society where the guy that makes people creeping over 15 year olds actually creepy (or not in a seual relationship with them) sadly progressive for the area.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darko posted:

He *is* from Japan (13 AoC)

:can:, but this is a myth. That's the federal age of consent; it's higher in all prefectures, I believe.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 11, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
japan's federal law says thirteen is the age of consent but like literally every prefecture's law has it at eighteen, we're not having this convo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

No Captain Tsubasa... :negative:

Aw really? Did they just not mention it at all or just didn't show it or what, that would've been absolutely perfect :(

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anyway, on a more positive note, I was thinking about my favorite "moment" from each JoJo, and was wondering if anyone else had any others.

Jonathan is probably cradling Dio's head, because it sums up the character really well but also because he doesn't have much in the way of interesting fights.

Joseph is probably the grenade trick versus Straizo. I like Joseph a lot but his tricks really depend on a lot of egregious bullshit and Hamon suddenly doing a new thing every fight. Not that the grenade thing isn't an example of that, but it's so absurd that it crosses back over into actually great.

Jotaro is easy, poker against D'Arby. That's probably where I came around on Jotaro as a character, honestly.

Josuke for me is a tossup between healing Yuuya to kick his rear end or his homing missile against Kira. I'd probably give the first one the edge though.

Giorno is tricky both because Giorno tends to get overshadowed by characters like Bruno and Mista, and also because I don't remember a good deal of this part. I remember him doing some gnarly poo poo to Cioccolata, but I don't remember a lot of the specifics. I liked the way the anime showed off him tricking Illuso into bringing the virus into the mirror world, but him driving the car into the water during White Album and immediately regretting it or turning all the cars into frogs were pretty good too. I'll say the first one wins out because I remember it better due to having just watched it.

Jolyne is honestly the easiest one of all of these, because her turning her body into a Möbius strip to counter C-Moon's ability to turn things inside-out is incredible and one of my favorite moments in the series.

Johnny I also don't remember too well, but his defeat of Sandman was pretty cool and Tusk Act 4 is obviously amazing. I'd probably give it to the latter.

I can't speak for Josuke 2 because I haven't read Part 8, though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

FirstAidKite posted:

Aw really? Did they just not mention it at all or just didn't show it or what, that would've been absolutely perfect :(

They didn’t mention the TV at all.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Johnathan fighting... One of the reincarnated knights underwater and beating him by lifting up a rock and eating a bubble like Sonic the Hedgehog is probably my favorite moment for him. That's still one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

Joseph's opening scene in modern day, where he gets robbed by a kid but still helps him out because gently caress The Police did such a good job at setting the tone of part 2 that I will always love it. When I first watched, I could barely get through part 1 (I'm sorry but it's still so incredibly tedious), but the first five minutes of 2 made up for it entirely.

If we're talking about part 3 Jotaro only then yeah, D'arby is pretty uncontested. If it's him in general, then it might be the time he showed what a good parent he was by punching Jolyne in the face to get her out of the way, while they were in the meeting room early in part 6.

Josuke has a shitload of good moments, so it's really hard to pick, but I'm gonna go with him being a guy that can turn into a pair of shoes and thinking "I can use him to SCAM Rohan". I loved Ed Edd n Eddy as a kid and that whole plot could match to an episode of that show incredibly easily. Also I'll mention the part where Kira realizes that Josuke was the person most threatening to him all along (after he heals Okuyasu) as a more serious event.

Giorno's an easy one, it's gotta be the time he steals a hundred cars. Like with Josuke, the fact that his first thought in how to hide in plain sight was to do something so ridiculously silly, with a straight face, was pretty great. Honorable mention to driving the car into the water because really, what the hell man.

Jolyne's solution to fighting THE RODS being to set herself on fire will always be the most metal thing in this series to me. JoJo characters have always cared very little and their own safety, and Jonathan even set his hand on fire against Dio, but Jolyne takes it a step further. Also that time she pissed off the alligator by throwing the ring at it.

Johnny is a hard one since his character has a clear, satisfying arc, so it's hard to think of a single particular instance. It also doesn't help that he's kind of overshadowed by Gyro in terms of presence most of the time. For now the big one that comes to mind is the only ORAORA of the entire part, because of how incredibly satisfying it was.

Haven't read part 8 yet since it's on going and I feel like if I catch up, I will end up hating having to wait.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i can tell who needs to reread part 7

e:

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 11, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

doesn't ring a bell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I hope the anime keeps the detail of Johnny getting a tiny star pattern on his hands whenever he activates tusk

I also hope they go with the blue Johnny color palette