Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

After some fiddling around I managed to create something that somewhat resembles a "song" on the Volca Sample:
https://soundcloud.com/ilizarov/interdimensional-interlopers-takturwav

though I still need to add a synth part and maybe some vocals for it to actually count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

MrSargent posted:

I think I would go with a Minilogue over a Monologue for the polyphony if you want those ethereal sounds. The minilogue does pads pretty drat well, the only thing it really needs is some reverb added on the end.

Well, after spending way too much time on YouTube and deciding I was going to buy literally everything that I saw that had a good demo for it I decided why not just try out a PC based DAW with a controller to see how that goes.

Grabbed a Minilab mkii for $99. I figured the price alone would get my feet wet with a small keyboard, a DAW, and some other goodies.

I've been futzing around with Ableton Live Lite and Analog Lab 3 VST for the past three hours and it's everything I was looking for. I've got some really spacey loops going and I can actually play some melodies from learning guitar.

For a hundred bucks. What the fuuuck. That's half the cost of a decent guitar pedal these days.

Edit: The amount of sounds you get with Analog Lab is INSANE. $30 to upgrade and you go from 500 sounds to 6000. And they all sound really good. Then they have a built in sound bank browser that goes to their site and there are even MORE free banks you can download. fffffffffffff

Philthy fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 11, 2019

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
That's awesome. I bought the V collection recently and some of those presets are phenomenal, as do all of the synths/other stuff. Does the Analog Lab let you manipulate the sounds at all? Like turning the effects off or changing the patch?

Edit: it turns out Analog Lab is included and I can answer my own question. The patches when you load them in the synths themselves have effects on them usually but it looks like these are dry. Nice that you can still manipulate filters and envelopes and stuff.

Sexy Randal fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 12, 2019

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

quote:

fffffffffffff

Welcome to the dark side friend. Glad you found something that works for you. I use a keyboard as a controller for a bunch of different software instruments and it’s endless fun.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Philthy posted:

Edit: The amount of sounds you get with Analog Lab is INSANE. $30 to upgrade and you go from 500 sounds to 6000. And they all sound really good. Then they have a built in sound bank browser that goes to their site and there are even MORE free banks you can download. fffffffffffff

I’m waiting for your galaxy-brain-moment in a few weeks where you start learning how to program your own sounds for free and it makes paying money just for presets seem insignificant.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

I feel like this is the newbiest of newbie questions, but how do you actually record your synth?

The best part of plugins is that you can just drag a plugin to a new MIDI track and you're done. Play your melody when you've hit record and you see little boxes appear with black dots and dashes - your MIDI notes.

If you want to actually see waveforms, right-click on the track, choose "Freeze" - then right-click again and choose "Flatten". Live has now very quickly rendered your track to actual audio, so you can do things like cutting/pasting stuff - or you could try something a little more exciting and create a new Simpler instance, then drag that waveform in there. Before you do this and lose your work, first duplicate your track and mute the original.

Honestly, a DAW saves so much data about what you're doing that you can just leave the MIDI track in there and be done with it. You only have to turn it into audio when you need stems, or when you know a manufacturer is retiring a certain plugin and you still want the authentic audio.

For hardware synths you have to jump through more hoops - you need an audio and a MIDI track - and of course you have to wait for the audio to be finished playing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

While the topic is rolling, I want to record my Microbrute for a project I’m working on over the next five weeks. I have a Scarlet interface. Any basic tips on getting a good sound with that? I would preferably like to run it through my bass amp + pedals but I assume synth -> pedals -> interface -> daw will be fine. This is my first time trying to record a synth.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Laserjet 4P posted:

The best part of plugins is that you can just drag a plugin to a new MIDI track and you're done. Play your melody when you've hit record and you see little boxes appear with black dots and dashes - your MIDI notes.

If you want to actually see waveforms, right-click on the track, choose "Freeze" - then right-click again and choose "Flatten". Live has now very quickly rendered your track to actual audio, so you can do things like cutting/pasting stuff - or you could try something a little more exciting and create a new Simpler instance, then drag that waveform in there. Before you do this and lose your work, first duplicate your track and mute the original.

Honestly, a DAW saves so much data about what you're doing that you can just leave the MIDI track in there and be done with it. You only have to turn it into audio when you need stems, or when you know a manufacturer is retiring a certain plugin and you still want the authentic audio.

For hardware synths you have to jump through more hoops - you need an audio and a MIDI track - and of course you have to wait for the audio to be finished playing.

Thanks for the info! It's been crazy addictive so far.

I have an additional question - I have an electric guitar and acoustic but no amp (I sold it a long time ago during some hardship), and currently I don't have a place to jam out (at home with a 4 year old and another on the way) so just looking for the best way to get my guitar into my computer.

Getting all of this DAW and software synth setup is making me want to get all of my instruments into the fray.

I have a Tascam US-122mkii (never used) that I'll be using to get it into my computer. Or at least I hopefully will... I think I remember hearing these were finicky with Windows 10 back in the day.

Is there any decent desktop electric drum setup? Pads are fun, but beats come to me better with at least a semblance of the natural motion of drumming. However the ones I've seen kinda look like toys and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 12, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BonoMan posted:

I have an additional question - I have an electric guitar and acoustic but no amp (I sold it a long time ago during some hardship), and currently I don't have a place to jam out (at home with a 4 year old and another on the way) so just looking for the best way to get my guitar into my computer.

Getting all of this DAW and software synth setup is making me want to get all of my instruments into the fray.

I have a Tascam US-122mkii (never used) that I'll be using to get it into my computer. Or at least I hopefully will... I think I remember hearing these were finicky with Windows 10 back in the day.
Well, all you should need to do is make the connections and set things up. Plug the guitar into the Tascam and the Tascam into the PC (looking at pictures of the Tascam, it should be blindingly obvious where to plug in and what settings to use :)). Setup should go as follows:
- Tascam should come with a driver, or one should be available, and if I remember correctly generally you'll want an ASIO driver. Install the driver.
- In Ableton, open the preferences, go to the Audio tab, and select the ASIO driver and your audio device, which will probably show up as the Tascam's exact model number.
- Create a new audio track and don't forget to arm it, and you should be able to hear your guitar through Ableton. If not: you may have to set this audio track's input correctly, you may have to set things correctly within the Tascam's driver or on the device itself, or you may have to set the Tascam as your audio device in Windows (in which case you'll also have to hook up your speakers to it). I'm not gonna lie, this can get a bit complicated. Check all the volume controls too, at this point you probably have like 3 or 4 along the signal chain.
- At this point, check if you have to futz around with the latency settings in the Ableton preferences, or in the driver. For obvious reasons you'll want the guitar sound coming out of the speakers at approximately the time you're strumming, picking, shredding, or whatever avantgarde method you prefer.
- You can apply Ableton's audio effects to the guitar audio track. Go nuts.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

My Lovely Horse posted:

Well, all you should need to do is make the connections and set things up. Plug the guitar into the Tascam and the Tascam into the PC (looking at pictures of the Tascam, it should be blindingly obvious where to plug in and what settings to use :)). Setup should go as follows:
- Tascam should come with a driver, or one should be available, and if I remember correctly generally you'll want an ASIO driver. Install the driver.
- In Ableton, open the preferences, go to the Audio tab, and select the ASIO driver and your audio device, which will probably show up as the Tascam's exact model number.
- Create a new audio track and don't forget to arm it, and you should be able to hear your guitar through Ableton. If not: you may have to set this audio track's input correctly, you may have to set things correctly within the Tascam's driver or on the device itself, or you may have to set the Tascam as your audio device in Windows (in which case you'll also have to hook up your speakers to it). I'm not gonna lie, this can get a bit complicated. Check all the volume controls too, at this point you probably have like 3 or 4 along the signal chain.
- At this point, check if you have to futz around with the latency settings in the Ableton preferences, or in the driver. For obvious reasons you'll want the guitar sound coming out of the speakers at approximately the time you're strumming, picking, shredding, or whatever avantgarde method you prefer.
- You can apply Ableton's audio effects to the guitar audio track. Go nuts.

Welp see y'all in a couple of years!

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
Yeah, it's pretty crazy the capabilities you have access to these days. I recorded on cassette 4-tracks in the 90s and on those little portable cassette decks with a tiny built in mic. But even that stuff was a big step forward in accessibility for home recording. Then you look at what Queen, Steely Dan or the Beatles or Beach Boys were recording on. Of course they had very fine microphones that we would kill for now.

I always think of what Beethoven would have thought if he saw what a home computer could do now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Idahoant posted:

I always think of what Beethoven would have thought if he saw what a home computer could do now.

He drat near lost his mind at the San Dimas Mall in 1989, and we've come a long way since then.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Apparently nine inch nails has used moog synths on every single album, and they consider them an integral part of their sound. I thought that was kind of cool.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Might be exactly what you are referencing, but I had happened to watch it the other day as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAGtlgwFdhM

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
I'm working through a project and I'd love to get some feedback from folks in here on jam-type performances. If you have a second, I'd love to hear your opinions on:

1. Who you like that's doing synth jams or techno things either on YT or Soundcloud
2. What you like about their approach
3. What you dislike about the deluge of bleep bloop jams or pitfalls to good content

I'll go too!

1. I love Kink. It's a good mix of synth, house, and instrumentation that's a little different than most modular jams that I see. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfD7ya31hEc
2. He keeps things moving, and while it revolves around the same basic loops, he's great at destroying grooves and coming up with new stuff from a limited set of elements.
3. I feel like most jams don't have a whole lot of dynamics, like it's one concept drilled out for 9+ minutes. That's where I start to get lost. (I have a feeling this is true for most listeners, but would love to hear from others)

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Fors Yard posted:

Might be exactly what you are referencing, but I had happened to watch it the other day as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAGtlgwFdhM

Yeah, that's the video.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I guess Korg is releasing a new minilogue xd and now there are pages for the Volca Modular and Volca Drum.

All of these pages have intro videos.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
gently caress yeah, I'm definitely getting the volcano modular. Looks to be totally new cpared to the rest of volca line had, where I felt a lot of the other models were either extremely niche use cases or ovelapped each other in a lot of ways.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hamelekim posted:

Yeah, that's the video.

My favorite part of NIN is Trent and Atticus and Alessandro Cortini all being huge loving modular nerds.

I mean, and the Swarmotron.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

That volca drum looks loving excellent.

Do we know when it’s on sale?

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 15, 2019

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
All the new Korgs are estimated to come out by the end of Winter.

So Math posted:

The prologue looks pretty cool, but I am a little bummed it doesn't have microtuning like the monologue.

New minilogue has microtuning. :yeshaha:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

So Math posted:

All the new Korgs are estimated to come out by the end of Winter.

New minilogue has microtuning. :yeshaha:

They updated the minilogue? :negative:

Is it a hardware or software change?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What even is microtuning

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Is it a hardware or software change?

Hardware. The slider is now a joystick, sequencer has 16 buttons instead of 8, 3 digital FX slots, 2 CV ins, custom oscillators from prologue.

So Math fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 15, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tuning except smaller.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
You get to assign the exact pitch of each note in cents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUT01p-C2xo

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So Math posted:

Hardware. The slider is now a joystick, sequencer has 16 buttons instead of 8, 3 digital FX slots, 2 CV ins, custom oscillators from prologue.
Does it have more sequencer steps and adjustable arp resolution though

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
No, the sequencer is still 16 steps, they just have enough buttons now instead of the button doubling on the original minilogue. The website doesn't say whether the arpeggiator is changed or not.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

So Math posted:

balls. But also good, I guess? My minilogue mk1’s been in storage for the past like year and change and now I feel foolish. As much as I love it, life circumstances have prevented me from getting very much use out of it so far.

Edit: oh neat. yeah, the xd seems pretty cool.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 15, 2019

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
volca drum looks amazing, although the resonator being a global send effect as opposed to being voice independent is a mild disappointment

volca modular looks like a baby easel (including the reverb that you can modulate with CV) so yeah, preordering both now

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Gringostar posted:

volca drum looks amazing, although the resonator being a global send effect as opposed to being voice independent is a mild disappointment

gently caress, it looks like it allows ratcheting on the synth parts which is something I’ve wanted FOREVER.

Day one purchase.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

A MIRACLE posted:

What even is microtuning

Non 12tet tuning. There are hundreds tunings that are alternative to western classical tuning.

Here's a sample:
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/docs/scalesdir.txt

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-JahgND1X0

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The volca modular looks like a super fun little thing to tinker with, but gently caress none of the demos that dropped today make it sound any nicer than wailings of a dying robot.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Cuckoo has a volca drum video up so he’s probably still working on the modular video

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

inferis posted:

Cuckoo has a volca drum video up so he’s probably still working on the modular video

I imagine he has it done already, but you get more views if you stagger them. We should expect videos from Bobeats and Loopop soon enough too.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

A MIRACLE posted:

What even is microtuning

Do you like your music to sound good? Do you like notes and intervals that make sense? No? Well have I got just the thing for you

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Tayter Swift posted:

Do you like your music to sound good? Do you like notes and intervals that make sense? No? Well have I got just the thing for you

Aphex Twin microtune's a lot of his stuff and it sounds great, so I'm sure if we all microtune our stuff it will sound equally as good

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Plavski posted:

Aphex Twin microtune's a lot of his stuff and it sounds great, so I'm sure if we all microtune our stuff it will sound equally as good

I have never gotten Aphex Twin, which makes me sad because he owns a Yamaha GX-1, which I will also own someday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Just picked up a like new Arturia Drumbrute on Craigslist for nearly half off MSRP. Now to figure out how to sync this thing with my Monologue and figure out some decent monitors so I don't have to wear my headphones all the time.

Oh, for anyone making beats, I found this video hugely informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm2BgO1VaRY

He also has a link to this rad spreadsheet for sequencing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19_3BxUMy3uy1Gb0V8Wc-TcG7q16Amfn6e8QVw4-HuD0/edit#gid=0

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 15, 2019